Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of the best intro pieces of classical music is definitely Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman"

Deadly serious.

edit: It's great, because you are familiar with the theme, you can then hear him embellish it, play it in a different voice, arrange it differently, then he'll play with the melody slightly, then the phrasing, then by about the 11th variation he's only hinting at the melody. Look up the score while you listen, it' a real thrill.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

And speaking of don't like, can I just say that whether I understand every bit of structure or not, I simply can not freakin stand Anton Webern? I am trying to make it through Boulez's "complete" works, and man this is not going well at all. And yeah, I understand what he's doing, and yeah, I've listened to some loving weird poo poo, but this does not do a thing for me. I can't wait to delete this album. (e: strike that, I will listen to this album 3 times before deleting it. I believe in you, Webern, you can do it!)

Worth nothing, I thought Schoenberg was alright-to-good, so it's not a "modern music" thing, I just do.not.like.this.

:smug: You only need to appreciate conceptually Webern and all that bullshit. If you can go "Yeah I know what they were trying to do, that's cool" then you've gotten all you need to get out of it.

Re: Form

http://home.earthlink.net/~dbratman/sonata.html

That'll get you into the basics of Symphonic form (Very basics). Yet again, I studied this poo poo and I don't remember half of it but the gist of it is there is no "Verse Chorus Verse" structure because each different piece of classical music could adhere to a different form.

Anyway, quick and dirty example:

First movement of Beethoven's fifth. Sonata-Allegro Form because that's what the first movement of a symphony (almost) always is.

Exposition
- First Theme - DUNUNUN-NAAAAAA
- Second Theme - the soft stringy part where the melody goes strings - woods - strings. We then repeat both.

Development
- Quite clearly he goofs around on the first theme for a while. It sounds like we're doing the first theme again, but he's actually developing the themes, quite literally.
- I always quite literally mess my pants during this part so good. Technically the "retransition" is the spot he does a very dramatic "DUNUNUN NAAAAAAAA!!!!" and you go "oh poo poo, poo poo's going down" :allears:

Recapitulation
- We do the first theme, and we goof around on it, but it is quite clearly the first theme, not a variation on the first theme.
- Oh hey, we do the second theme, and we goof around on that.

Coda
- Conceptually the bit between the second theme, and the very very end of the song. Sort of the "outro" if you will. You might even find them goofing around on one of the themes at this point also.

edit: for more on the overall structure, wikipedia is helpful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._5_(Beethoven)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly have no idea why some people would think that the Ring takes itself too seriously, and that Wagner may have been a bit of a knob.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

So, basically, Spotify except it filters out the garbage "Relaxing Classical For Your Baby" compilations?

Nothing wrong with Chopin

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Piano Sonatas. I'm digging Schubert and Beethoven.

What else do people like?