Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been listening to the local classical station during my commutes, and I've learned enough through osmosis that I can tell when the station RDS is broken if it's playing Mozart and saying it's Wagner, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Is there a good primer on how to listen to classical music?

I have only the vaguest idea about the difference between symphonies vs sonatas vs concertos (vs concertos grossos apparently?), or symphony orchestras vs chamber orchestras vs philharmonics, and I can only begin to guess at toccatas and/or fugues. Please help a hapless uncultured goon out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks for the tips everyone! The reddit and youtube links especially, I'm a bit poor at the moment so textbooks and college courses are out of my price range. The way I phrased my question initially came down to "I want to know what the words mean when they're introducing the music on the radio," and I think what you all have provided will get me way beyond that point.