Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone know what's up with the two versions of Xenakis's Persepolis? There's the one from the original LP that is about 46 minutes long which I've got on a compilation called Alpha and Omega, and then there's a CD reissue of the original LP that's 55 minutes long. Was it edited down to fit on a record originally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I am going through the 'How to Listen To, And Appreciate Great Music' Learning Company course, and I am flabbergasted at the complete lack of equivalent guidance for pieces available publically.

Typically, the narrator will describe the artist and era and go over the form of the piece (and divergence) as well as the themes musically, interpretively - and finally listen with you, pointing out major sections. For example,

in Beethoven's 5th he compares with Haydn : lyrical classical theme versus fundamental romantic. How the first movement is made of sequenced and inverted motifs, the lack of meaningful cadence . How that transforms with polphony, sequencing and return - with the original them being truncated more and more to a death - overall how the major and minor themes can symbolise life and death's struggle against each other.

in Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture he describes the themes: Hymnal, Conflict, Love and Sighing - how they play out in a symbolic retelling of the Shakespeare play and just WHY that G# stab in the Coda is so bloody important.

THIS is interesting and THIS gives context and understanding to the music we listen to - and yet there is almost none of it to be found as far as I can tell, except in the most dry and soulless musical scholarship articles. WHY do we not have this kind of information as guides on YouTube more obviously? I have had to seek this out myself after struggling through dozens of 'video of orchestra' and flat audio files, and I can only think it would allow more people to

Does this cover any 20th century stuff?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Fellow brass players- any advice on the best way to clean out your slides at home? The tuning slides on my horn look a little gunky so I want to give them a really good cleaning but I'm worried about damaging the pipes by exposing them to the wrong chemical(s).

*snickering* Hey everyone! This guy's got gunk on his horn!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Do any of you classical guys that actually know what they're talking about know something that sounds similar to Silvestrov's Requiem for Larissa? Either some of his other works that are close or other composers who've done similar stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

how did he get the job in the first place if he's so unqualified?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Bravado. Acting like you know what you're doing (and $$ behind it) can work wonders.

I'm a teacher too and the conducting part especially is freaking hilarious. "It was too stressful running the festival AND prepping the music" = "I am not nearly the conductor I think I am." Like Christ Appalachian Spring isn't even that hard to conduct, fuckin Copland himself wrote some poo poo with trickier pattern transitions and entrance cues. I'm betting I would sightread that score better than he did but maybe I am also not nearly the conductor I think I am, haha. (At least I didn't put on a complete mess of a festival over it!)

I figured that people might check if you can actually conduct an orchestra before hiring you, but i guess that's why i'm not a cool orchestra scam guy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

david crosby posted:

1. Can you recommend me some sick rear end minimalist pieces. I'm pretty familiar with the big names, maybe something off the beaten path would be cool.

Have you heard Julius Eastman, he was incredibly cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_QGQcKq1ik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Philip rear end!!