Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I love Beethoven. One thing I love about Beethoven is when he takes the dying form of fugue and makes it new and exciting in so many of his works including his Missa Solemnis and Hammerklaver. I think fugue is best served as something a work breaks into instead of a standalone form. Any fugue recommendations are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

david crosby posted:

Check out Shostakovich's 24 preludes & fugues

This is one of my favorites actually. His cycle of prelude and fugue is a long way from Bach's and he takes his fugues to another level. I've been meaning to check out Hindemith's take on the idea for a while.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Going to see Mahler 2 this weekend

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Mahler posted:

Going to see Walton 1 TONIGHT

:hfive:
I'm unfamiliar with Walton's stuff so I'll have to check out the 1st tonight while you're at the show. We'll compare notes later.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

C-Euro posted:

No because we only have one concert under our belts and also we are not that good. I think my high school orchestra was on the level of this group if not maybe slightly better, but TBF the music program at my alma mater as a whole received national recognition for being really drat good while I was there. We were playing poo poo like Dvorak and Schostakovich while I was there, I remember having to do excerpts from Mahler 5 for my audition.

I was in marching band because high school orchestras are not a thing where I come from. I'm kinda jealous in fact.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I was in marching band, symphonic band, AND orchestra in HS (orchestra only my senior year), it was the best and if you could actually make money as a musician without working 24/7 I'd be doing it.

I'm not actually part of the med school here and only heard about this orchestra trying to come together through my wife who is in said school, when she told me about I legit cried because I hadn't played in so long and was just happy to get a chance to play again. I've been lugging this drat horn around without using it for six years, I gotta get some use out of it!

Sadly, I don't have my trumpet any more and if I did it's been so long I wouldn't know how to play it. I've been thinking about joining the community choir because they get to do cool stuff like singing in the Mahler symphony I just saw. They don't require you to have any training and it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

The symphony was sublime btw. Fourth row. My ears are still ringing and my palms hurt from clapping.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Infidel Castro posted:

I know it's been said a bunch, but go out and see your local symphony, folks.

I love going to the concerts put on by my local symphony orchestra. The only drawback is that the majority of people who go to the concerts are elderly and insist on giving a five minute long standing ovation after every single performance. It's still a worthwhile experience but it gets old after the first few times and kind of waters down the meaning behind a standing ovation.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I've been shamelessly sitting in ~$70 seats for :10bux: with my student discount and loving it. Last concert I could literally spit on the stage if i wanted to not that I would. I graduate in May so even though the student discount is basically on the honor system I need to prepare to pay a hefty fine for the seats I've been getting or it's off to the third level balcony.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I recently finished Beethoven: The Man Revealed by John Suchet, a biography focusing more on the person rather than the composer, and it was pretty good and interesting. It's fun reading about the possible love interests in LVB's life as a bunch of women who dodged a huge bullet since being in a relationship with Beethoven would be miserable. It's sad to think that he might have died a virgin but apparently there's a case to be made that he might not only have gotten laid by an actual woman, but could have had a child with that same woman. Crazy stuff. I for one think he went down to the Viennese red light district at least once to get his weiner wet. If Brahms can do it so can LVB.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Has anyone tried to make a spotify playlist from the suggestions itt? I started work on one so I could listen to recommendations at leisure but it occurred to me someone might have already made one. If no such playlist exists I will continue working on it and share when I finish but jfc two pages in and already 40 gott dam hours of music and 17 pages to go. Please help.

Aging Millenial posted:

Lockwood flatly states that Beethoven may never have known the touch of a woman though.

Beethoven longed for intimacy but was fearful of it and the same time.

Hmm, kind of like me, actually.

I'm so lonely. :(

Get thee to a brothel!

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Aging Millenial posted:

What do you guys think of Mahler?

Give him a patient chance and you will be rewarded for your efforts. I started with his 5th symphony which is the best imo. I had to listen to it a few times to get used to it though I was soon hooked. The 4th is my favorite though.

Mahler's excessive and over the top style can be off putting at first, but it's the logical conclusion of trends in western classical music that started long before him with composers like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

Listen to his 9th symphony. The scherzo in particular is :discourse:

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Here's some Parsifal for your Good Friday courtesy of Franz Liszt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-xxhBia0s (Wagner/Liszt - Feierlicher Marsch zum heiligen Graal aus "Parsifal", S.450 1/2)

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I attended a Jewish food and cultural festival in my city today and they had a klezmer band playing. Gave me a strong hankering for Mahler's first.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Going to see The Barber of Seville with my dear old mom this evening and I'm pretty stoked.

ol yeller posted:

its the 106th anniversary of mahlers death so im going to listen to all his symphonies. thank you

Right on.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

In an attempt to liven up this thread, here's Nino Rota's bassoon concerto.

https://youtu.be/xBU_EkKsCho

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Speaking of Mozart in the Jungle has anyone seen it? Any good? I'm wondering how much classical music plays in.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I guess what I'm really asking is what does Mozart in the Jungle have to do with Mozart the composer or classical music in general?

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Just subscribed to the Met HD on demand service because I enjoy burning money, what are the unmissable opera classics?

I bought the Met's production of Wagner's Die Meistersinger on DVD and it's one of my most treasured possessions. Check it out if you have the time. It's almost five hours long so you might want to spread it out over a few days.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Mozart in the Jungle is good

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Cobaltshift posted:

My orchestra director/conducting teacher from my undergrad directs the orchestra used in the show (the Chelsea Symphony.) He is also a horn player in the show and had some fun stories from filming!

Do please share any stories. I'm having a huge amount of fun watching this show.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

cebrail posted:

Don't die, thread.

I've been on a Monteverdi binge today, here's a music video (yes, really) of Anna Prohaska singing Lamento della ninfa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHRjvK9syQc

I'm due to get into Monteverdi. Any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

I've been in a Philip Glass kick lately. I get all the criticism that he just plays a bunch of arpeggios seven hundred times, but it's good working music. Any recommendations for a next composer I should check out to either get more of that, or the "pfff Glass is overrated, __________ is so much better"?

I prefer Steve Reich to Phil Glass.