Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hammer Floyd posted:

SO. To kick this thread off, if I like big, dramatic bits of music like Requiem, what else might I dig?

If you like big and dramatic, you might check out some of Mahler's symphonies. He was a late Romantic guy, about a hundred years after Mozart, and his work is nothing if not big and dramatic. For example, the end of his 2nd is awesomely over-the-top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsicaSxh7_Y

The 8th is probably my favorite. On the downside, many of them are 80+ minutes long and Mahler really liked to expound upon themes at incredible length. Particularly if you're not already accustomed to listening through lengthy pieces of classical music, they can try your patience a bit.

Personally, my favorite composer is Sibelius. He was a contemporary of Mahler but had an entirely opposite style. He could certainly do drama in his own way though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Kq0qMMpgU (you'll have to click through to the following movements)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Thought I'd leave a few links to a few of my favorite youtube things...

Sibelius's 7th, god drat masterful piece of music, the progression, the ebb and flow, the melodies, would kill for him to have not burned the 8th.

Christian Ferras tears it up: Sibelius's Violin Concerto Franck's Violin Sonata