Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Slightly different classical music post.

So, Pt. Ravi Shankar is very old and very ill. He recently had to cancel his upcoming American performances and I've been told through the grapevine that he is currently on oxygen 2nd to a heart disease that he has struggled with since his 40's or so. He is reportedly not doing well.

Once he passes we'll lose one of the eminent instrumentalists of that generation, and a giant in the world of Indian Classical Music. There'll be a handful of vocalists left from that generation, but not many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUwnUTjwHU

Here is a jugalbandi/duet with Ravi Shankar and his guru brother Ali Akbar Khan. Bilashkhani Todi is supposed to depict a sad, somber mood. The legend behind it is that when Miyan Tansen (a historic and legendary figure in ICM) passed away (c. 1589) his son Bilash Khan was supposed to sing at his funeral. He had planned to sing Tansen's famous raag Miyan Ki Todi, but in his grief made a mistake and created Bilashkhani Todi. I've been studying this raag recently, and the news of Raviji has definitely cast a pall on the air.

If you're less familiar to help orient yourself, the notes of this raag are C#, D, E, G#, A, C# on the ascent, D, B, A, F#, E, D on the descent.

Alap goes from 0:00 - 9:20
Jor from 9:20 - 14:08
Jhala from 14:08 - 15:20
Upaj Tans for the remainder of the track.

Spare a thought for Raviji at some point today.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm trying to find some sort of marching music with a steady cadence. I've listened to a variety of marches, but every single one seems to be much more elaborate, major-key, and bright and happy and toodly, which is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. I want to find a dark, violent classical/orchestral piece that sounds like some sort of military force could actually march to it.

I'm a big fan of Holst's Mars, and it feels like it's sort of related to what I'm looking for, but I don't know where to continue my search.

How is this? I always felt it had a dark, steady cadence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hOR50u7ek