Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh that's awesome thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cebrail posted:

I don't think this has ever been posted here and I don't know how well known it is, so let me tell you about All of Bach:
The Netherlands Bach Society, in celebration of their 100 year anniversary in 2022, is performing all (known) works of J.S. Bach and putting them on this website in video form. One piece per week for 1080 weeks. All very good performances in beautiful locations. All for free. Great video and audio quality too. And usually some sort of interview with background informations. It's really loving amazing.

Man I have been binging on this is really incredible, thanks again for posting it. The organ stuff in particular is amazing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Thanks for the postscript I was confused.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nothing like Rachmaninoff, but I've been bingeing on Hummel lately. Kind of the halfway point between Mozart and Chopin, good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYr7z1RYgaM

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Coohoolin posted:

I did this, it was cool.

Yo what's everyone's favourite modern baroque violinists? i've been told to avoid the 50s and 60s recordings because they didn't know enough about baroque music and played everything like a romantic piece.

Does that include Heifetz? Because that seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not super big on piano stuff but just, anything Glenn Gould plays.

Yeah, his Goldberg recordings (both of em) should be at the very top of your list.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd previously kinda written off Yuja Wang without listening to her, but I really liked this performance of Prokofiev so I've been checking her stuff out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpnr8dI_50

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah, I'm far from an expert but I just checked out him performing my favorite piano piece (3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata), and I don't have the words for it, but I think he's sorta.. missing the point of what Beethoven was going for.

He wasn't missing anything, he was pretty upfront in interviews about really disliking Beethoven, and the way he plays it is just him making fun of what he sees as over sentimental goop. He talks about it some here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exD8bhJP1eo&t=1911s

His Mozart performances are very interesting. He voices the accompaniment at the same level as the melody (like you would for Bach) so all these contrapuntal relationships pop up that you'd never notice ordinarily. It's weird, but kinda fun.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Oromo posted:

Gould made some of my favorite Brahms recordings although most of his non-baroque stuff isn't really great

I love his recordings of Schoenberg.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, he's laughing at him, not with him.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

This isn't a point in his favour. I mean not just disliking Beethoven (which is pretty unusual for a classical music lover and for me almost insane, albeit fine everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's their prerogative), but demonstrating that dislike by playing Beethoven's music in a mocking way? Just play repertoire you like and that you wish to do justice to.

It is a point in his favor, and also one I don't agree with. Gould was a genius in his way, but I don't think anyone wants to make him emperor over how all classical music is interpreted.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gnumonic posted:

I just don't get why you'd put in the effort to learn a bunch of incredibly difficult pieces, sign a contract to record them, only to show how much you hate them... If he were a composer it'd be one thing. I like Zappa's hilarious musical quotations as much as the next person, but as a performer it's just weird.

Maybe he's just in touch with a level of hate I've yet to attain though.

Credit where it's due, I highly doubt Gould would hate on something without a very thorough familiarity with it. That said, the guy refused to go see his mom on her death bed because he was scared of germs, he had some seriously legit mental problems. But he was a genius and remains, hands down in my mind, the best performer of Bach that has ever been recorded.

facepalmolive posted:

Technique-wise Moonlight 3rd really isn't all that difficult -- very approachable for the somewhat serious piano student, and certainly a breeze for any serious performance-level pianist. And I mean, it's likely he's not spending that much effort on the interpretation part of it.

I just... don't 'get' Valentina Lisitsa, actually. She just came out of nowhere some day for me, seems like the whole internet (or at least Youtube comments) loves her, and I just don't understand why. To me, she epitomizes roboticness while playing a million miles a minute. TBH I even like many 'hobbyist' classical pianists' renditions more than most of hers. :(

There must be an entire dimension of music I'm completely blind to or something. Like I must be musically color-blind or something and I don't realize it.

Yeah, it's not just you, I don't get those Ukrainian pianists at all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Oromo posted:

Gould made some of my favorite Brahms recordings although most of his non-baroque stuff isn't really great

Thanks for the heads up about this, I finally got around to listening to the Intermezzi album and I enjoyed it a lot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You'll definitely want to check out the Dvorak cello concerto if you haven't already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcb4dAvpOIs

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I accidently spent all afternoon with the Haydn trumpet concerto in E- flat on in the background and it was wonderful. I listen to NPR classical like Performance Today alot and I can occasionally get into more modern or romantic stuff, but really the 18th C. is my jam.

I love Handel, Haydn, Mozart, and to a lesser extent Bach and Beethoven, but I really haven't listened to a ton besides them, and even within their work my knowledge is definitely not broad-mostly operas, symphonies and string quartets and quintets. What else should I check out? I've listened to a bit some Italians of the same period-Locatelli, Scarlatti and Veracini I think, and I think I've really liked stuff by one of Bach's sons but I can't remember which.

Is there a good Great Courses or youtube or something on audible that's like a music history/appreciation/theory book/class/lecture I should know about, preferably with bits of the music in it? Like what makes Bach sound like Bach and Baroque and what makes Mozart sound like Mozart? It would be neat to understand why I like XYZ music so much.

Seeing you mention it made me wonder too, so I went and found this: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-great-composers-podcast-a-classical-music-podcast/id1125785164
The guy's delivery is not great, very much music history TA vibes, but I'm two episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Wrt, what makes Bach sound like Bach (et al), you might like Nahre Sol's youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPvAqyDd1aI

Oh also, on the off chance you're interested in more complex analysis of orchestral stuff I really like this guy's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBB9UDpLfIA

Stringent fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 19, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why does spotify make trying to find classical music so difficult? Is there a better streaming thing for classical? It has lots of great recordings but makes them impossible to find because it doesn't distinguish between composer and performer

i've not actually tried this, but it was getting promoted a while back, might be worth a shot?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/idagio-classical-music/id1014917700

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

busalover posted:

Are there maybe more composers that experimented with automated playback? With todays Machine Learning algorithms stuff like this gets to a whole other level.

more jazz than classical, although you could argue the line is kinda blurry, but you might enjoy dan tepfer. this video is good because he explains a bit about the technology he's using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaadsrHBygc

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zenguitarman posted:

The war in Ukraine is hitting the classical music world. Anna Netrebko leaves the Met and Valery Gergiev is losing gigs left and right. Ballsy of the Met, really. Netrebko is one of the biggest opera singers of the 21st century, but she's said some pretty weird poo poo about Putin in the past. Gergiev has been much more in the mix with Russian politics and art for a long time.

was hard for them to not see this coming after all the american musicians getting blacklisted after the iraq invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

this is amazing, thank you