Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just started a new podcast a few weeks ago called Dead Idea Valhalla. It's a short variety show sort of thing, 10 to 20 minutes long, weekly.

https://www.deadideavalhalla.com

Who else podcasts? It's sort of a strange pursuit and the amount of "creativity" that goes into can really vary depending on how much of the content you create. But even if you are just talking, there can be a lot of expression involved in editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I don't, but I love these guys:

http://chanceswithwolves.blogspot.com/

its actually a longstanding radio show they conv. to online, and I think they do a good job with it

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

I podcast with 3 other goons in a weekly show, called Movie Rental Roundup, that generally runs 45 minutes to an hour per episode. Our show is at http://www.movierentalroundup.com and we review movie rentals, if that wasn't already apparent. It definitely give us a lot of opportunity for creativity as we can review any movie that can be rented, be it fresh releases or 80's favorites. We essentially talk about one movie a week, give our review of it, give a recommendation to rent or to avoid, and try to be as funny and entertaining as we can.

It's a lot of fun and we have been doing it for half a year now with no end in sight.

-The Capm I will check out your show this week.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've done a couple and guested on a few others. I prefer editing rather than actually being a part of it. I'm not much of a talker or a listener.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie
I really want to start one up but not sure on the equipment we would need to have to get this to work. The set up I want is a 4 person podcast, I have 4 mics and audio recording software and even a website to set everything up. I'm just not really sure how to get 4 microphones input into the computer, any help on this?

G.bola
Dec 2, 2010
I am in the same boat when it comes to the lack of technical knowledge required to do a podcast.I am undecided on a theme but feel like a podcast is a good avenue for someone to express their creativity and would like to casually do one. . Regardless, any information or links to polular resources for podcasts would be much appreciated.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

QWERTTY posted:

I really want to start one up but not sure on the equipment we would need to have to get this to work. The set up I want is a 4 person podcast, I have 4 mics and audio recording software and even a website to set everything up. I'm just not really sure how to get 4 microphones input into the computer, any help on this?

We have 4 hosts but we all use skype and that eliminates the issue of the inputs. You would need a mixer of some type to get all the mics into one audio input for recording. I have thought of integrating a mixer myself but it would be to be able to play audio clips while we record and so the others could hear the clip as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Goddimus posted:

We have 4 hosts but we all use skype and that eliminates the issue of the inputs. You would need a mixer of some type to get all the mics into one audio input for recording. I have thought of integrating a mixer myself but it would be to be able to play audio clips while we record and so the others could hear the clip as well.

Use Virtual Audio Cable to do this. You can direct the inputs that way rather well like that. You can also insert audio using them this way as well.

VAC is a bit tricky to figure out to use, but once you've got it down it makes a lot of even trickier things very manageable.

Chaos Theory
Jan 18, 2010
Check out the Let's Play subforum's tech support fort for, uh... tech support. It's focused on talking over video games, but they have an incredible amount of information already there, including stuff on complex audio set ups, multiple source recordings, balancing it all automatically, the software to actually do all this (including VAC as Zorak mentioned!) and so on.

They actually have far more stuff than you'll ever need if you're doing audio only and don't have to worry about issues like encoding or gradual desync.

That, and you get to hear pipes! sing "Drunken Sailor"! (not if you don't want to)

For four people at once, off the top of my head, you could use a physical mixer if you want everyone in the same room, have each person do a VAC split where their audio sends to both Skype and Audacity (so that you don't get Skype mucking with your audio quality) that you then mix together in post, get a couple laptops together to have them handle different sources, or have a central mike placement that can pick up the four of you at a table or something similar.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I came into CC just to find a podcast thread, so this is timely! I've been getting a bit active in the Favorite Comedy Podcast thread in GBS and have posted a couple times in there about the show I do with a friend.

I do a show called Digital Porridge, the basis of which is that I'm American (living in England), my friend is British, and we go back and forth about various aspects of either culture as well as catch up on what we've done lately.

We stay away from 'weird news', celebrities, reviews and that sort of thing because there are so many other podcasts out there that do the same thing, and better than we could. The show is weekly and 30-35 minutes per episode. We're recording episode #12 this week and will start recording a periodic show on the side that's about short films that we are going to start doing, sort of as a 'behind the scenes' sort of thing that will show the work in progress.

The blog with show notes is at http://www.digitalporridge.net, with direct download links and you can listen to the latest shows from the web page. You can subscribe at RSS feed and iTunes link

I'd appreciate any feedback from any goons, either by PM, posting on the blog, iTunes reviews, whatever.

I'll also post this thread in the Comedy Podcast thread because there's a few other podcasters in there.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 12, 2011

Xephos
Sep 10, 2006

I make the YoGPoD, an irregular comedy podcast with a goon friend of mine. It's been even more irregular of late and is made up of random bits of fluff chat that don't fit into our youtube videos. It's currently getting around 15k downloads per episode.

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-yogpod/id304557271

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I do a podcast called Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!. I go to forums around the internet that "normal people" wouldn't normally go to (including SA) and find interesting threads and read from them. People seem to enjoy it.

I've also sat in on The Flophouse Podcast which is a fun podcast about movies that features some comedians and a writer for the Daily Show. When I'm there I've been replacing the Daily Show guy.

And I've sat in on The Comedy Nerds which is a podcast about the world of comedy in general. The hosts are comedians I've worked with in the past and they've had me come on to talk about specifically "blue" topics like 30 Rock a XXX Parody and stuff like that.

Its a fun process for sure. My most technically challenging episode was the reading from the Large Penis Support Group. Normally I do reads as dry as possible. Just try to read like I'm reading the news or an opinion piece. But that one I did in the style of a stupid morning zoo DJ. It was fun but lining up all those sound effects was tedious!

If anyone wants me to sit in on their podcast.. I'll do it!

Moldova Mistress
Jan 8, 2011
My friend (Soggy Cereal) and I both have a podcast called, wait for it, Soggy Cereal!

We've been able to get on iTunes too and it's really been a lot of fun, having never done a podcast before!

"A podcast about breakfast cereal and soggy things. Two teenagers who are kind of "out of it" discuss things they found on the internet."
That's basically the gist of it all. :)

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Yup yup, I'm the other half of it.

The show mostly gets listeners through our friends on Facebook, but if we could get some sort of broader appeal, that would be great.

It's technically comedy, we don't really know how funny it is though, since we don't have any objective judges :v:

Each show starts with us reviewing a box of breakfast cereal, just kinda doing anything on the back, making fun of the cartoons, etc. This has been a smaller part of it than I've liked, but we're only at two episodes.

The humor comes from deadpan delivery, kinda like what other people in the thread have done, but also from us being teenagers and just kinda oblivious to lots of things, while more "aware" in subtle ways than the rest of our generation.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Perhaps you guys can answer my question then. What is the legal issues of music on a podcast? I have been putting together a music show but I can't find the legalese of broadcast/copywrite issues. I know, like EMI, has blanket coverage for SOME songs. Or do I just do it and hope I get away with it? It is so weird how strict these companies get with free advertising of their music.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The only thing I looked at for licensing was a site that somehow gave you blanket licensing for what seemed like as much music as you want, and you paid various amounts that depended on what type of podcast you were planning to do: music review, news, comedy, etc.

The Creative Commons has something on it that you may want to read: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide

Other results searching for 'podcast music licensing' didn't bring up anything recent, so I don't really know what to think. On the podcast I do, for intro/outro music we used royalty-free music provided on my friend's Mac, so although one listener said he's heard it used on another podcast a long time ago, it matches the tone of what we want to do. I'm not sure what shows like Uhh Yeah Dude do, they use a couple of different songs in every episode.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

krushgroove posted:

The Creative Commons has something on it that you may want to read: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide

Perfect! Thanks!

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
This podcast is one of the few that have survived since the dawn of the art. It launched in late 2005, and still posts new episodes occasionally. It is easily the funniest improvised podcast that I've listened to:

http://www.mepreport.com

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

Zorak posted:

Use Virtual Audio Cable to do this. You can direct the inputs that way rather well like that. You can also insert audio using them this way as well.

VAC is a bit tricky to figure out to use, but once you've got it down it makes a lot of even trickier things very manageable.

I may have to look more into this but when I have tried vac it causes my system (which is pretty powerful) to crap itself. I am sure it's something on my end.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I cohost two podcasts currently. I think they're pretty funny.

Stuff Weekly (Itunes) (RSS) is another show about people discussing weird news stories, but I think we're much funnier than all the others. We're on Episode 40 now and haven't missed a week since we started back in May and I think it really just gets better and better.

This Week In The Apocalypse (RSS) is a bi-weekly show that normally consists of a panel of four to seven people debating how humanity would far in various apocalyptic scenarios. Currently on Episode 19, the first two episodes were before we really found our footing and are a bit of a clusterfuck, but the third episode and most of the subsequent ones are a lot of fun. We even deviate a little and just go for episodes debating which fictional character would win in a fight. It's got more of a focus, I guess, than SW and is nearing the end of its run.

If any of you guys ever listen, leave a comment at the website or PM me with some criticism or just to say what you hated/liked about it.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm a co-host for the Bloody Good Horror Podcast. We record weekly and specialize on new theatrical releases (in the horror genre, of course). We've been going strong for 3 years and just finished recording our 149th episode!

We've actually been able to turn a profit on the show after three years, done some convention appearances and all sorts of fun stuff. It's been a blast!

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Me and two other goons do a comedy podcast every week called Serious Business with Successful People. We think we are pretty funny and so do others that listen to us. A lot of our material comes from local Saint Louis news, personal stories/experiences, and just general bullshit we think is funny. If we suck tell us, but we have gotten pretty good reviews from the few that have listened to us.

Puck
Jun 24, 2003

I'm the co-host of Caustic Soda where we talk about gross and disturbing topics while making fun of them. We cover the science, history, news and pop culture aspects of things like cannibalism, parasites, and a seven-part series on the seven deadly sins.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Its a fun process for sure. My most technically challenging episode was the reading from the Large Penis Support Group. Normally I do reads as dry as possible. Just try to read like I'm reading the news or an opinion piece. But that one I did in the style of a stupid morning zoo DJ. It was fun but lining up all those sound effects was tedious!

I hear that. I did 3 episodes of something I called Game Genies in the Morning With Gatorboy and the Madman, a morning zoo radio show that only played video game music. The production stuff, as well as doing the "madman" voice was tough!

I'm going to check out each and every one of the podcasts in this thread. I like the idea of finding small time podcasts. It seems like things are either totally unknown or huge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

I'm going to check out each and every one of the podcasts in this thread. I like the idea of finding small time podcasts. It seems like things are either totally unknown or huge.

Yeah I agree - I know podcasting is small-time compared to TV, Youtube channels, even radio but the popular podcasts are SUPER SUPER popular. Look at Keith and the Girl on Podcast Alley or any of the BBC podcasts on iTunes, and then you've got 'podcast empires' like Kevin Smith's and Adam Carolla's.

Maybe we should start a 'goon podcast empire'? :)

I'm also working my way through all the podcasts listed here so far - some really good and fun ones here!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'd love a goon podcasting empire. I'm so lovely at self promotion, though I try like crazy. I've downloaded one episode for each person in this thread. Since I started back up at school I have less podcast time but I am going to check them all out. Good concepts, all.

Goons with more successful/popular podcasts than mine: any tips on getting the word out? How do you get people to listen?

EDIT: I ran into an error when trying to download Digital Porridge from itunes. Not sure if there is an issue with the RSS or not but I figured I'd give you guys a headsup to maybe check it.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 31, 2011

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Xephos posted:

I make the YoGPoD, an irregular comedy podcast with a goon friend of mine. It's been even more irregular of late and is made up of random bits of fluff chat that don't fit into our youtube videos. It's currently getting around 15k downloads per episode.

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-yogpod/id304557271

I loved "season 1" of the minecraft series. The 2nd is a little iffy with all the scripted stuff and fake people (ok, some of the stuff from season 1 may be preplanned, but still). I understand it's supposed to be like a roleplaying thing but it's not as entertaining as watching you guys on the survival island or an environment where you actually need to survive and/or have a goal to accomplish.

Kind of off topic, but either way huge fan of your stuff dude.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ceebee posted:

I loved "season 1" of the minecraft series. The 2nd is a little iffy with all the scripted stuff and fake people (ok, some of the stuff from season 1 may be preplanned, but still). I understand it's supposed to be like a roleplaying thing but it's not as entertaining as watching you guys on the survival island or an environment where you actually need to survive and/or have a goal to accomplish.

Kind of off topic, but either way huge fan of your stuff dude.

So far I've listened to Lou Reads the Internet For You and Bloody Good Horror, both of which are great. I'm a more casual fan of horror movies but I still think BGH was really well done. Lou Reads the Internet was basically an audio Weekend Web, which is a great idea.

Well done, sirs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

EDIT: I ran into an error when trying to download Digital Porridge from itunes. Not sure if there is an issue with the RSS or not but I figured I'd give you guys a headsup to maybe check it.

Thanks, my podcast pardner tells me he is getting in touch with Go Daddy to tell at them for lovely ftp uptime, and we might be changing hosts regardless. gently caress those guys! Pisses me off the problems they've given us, very sorry about that.

Regarding the goon podcast empire, I might look into registering a domain like goonpodcasts.com or something like that, not like I don't have enough to do...any ideas on how to approach this from anyone, apart from a list of podcasts from this thread? I know gently caress all about php, etc., coding but I can lay out a simple html page... With donations we could do an SA banner ad and probably get a lot more listeners.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Thanks, my podcast pardner tells me he is getting in touch with Go Daddy to tell at them for lovely ftp uptime, and we might be changing hosts regardless. gently caress those guys! Pisses me off the problems they've given us, very sorry about that.

Regarding the goon podcast empire, I might look into registering a domain like goonpodcasts.com or something like that, not like I don't have enough to do...any ideas on how to approach this from anyone, apart from a list of podcasts from this thread? I know gently caress all about php, etc., coding but I can lay out a simple html page... With donations we could do an SA banner ad and probably get a lot more listeners.
I haven't had any issues with Powweb.com I've been with them for four years now. Their customer service is great too. I think the podcast empire would be a good idea. Also if anyone would like to trade 20-30 second show promotions with me I would love to run one or two in each episode.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, I'll tell my 'casting bro about them.

We've been needing to record some promo bits too, maybe we could have short promo bits on the gooncast site so anyone could download and use them in their shows. Not a bad idea to just put on my show's site, too.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

I think the podcast empire would be a good idea. Also if anyone would like to trade 20-30 second show promotions with me I would love to run one or two in each episode.

I would love to do this, the exchange and the centralized hub/website. As far as cross promotion, I have been trying to set up things like this with my friends and their specific creative projects. I don't know any other podcasters in person but I have traded promo songs (I write jingles and songs) in exchange for art and blog pimping/mentions.

I have no idea how to read my "awstats" to get an accurate reading of how many people are listening. I don't really get feedback from strangers and I feel like looking at my site traffic and downloads is undoubtedly skewed.

If anyone wants to trade promos or is willing to answer some questions about how to interpret what's actually happening with these "stats", drop me an email at deadideavalhalla@gmail.com

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
My friends and I have been trying our hand at this for the last three weeks:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/facerocker-podcast/id415405961

A lot of the impetus behind this is that our friend Logan is, in fact, the most ridiculous person I've ever known. From what we can tell, half the people think he's playing a character, but I assure you he is 100% genuine.

...and for the last three weeks, I still can't figure out how to properly put the thumbnail up on iTunes, even though the RSS feed is correct.

MrSpiffy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 5, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll look into registering gooncasts.com when I get home home from my trip, does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the content? I'm not sure I have the time to learn phpmyadmin right now.

MrSpiffy posted:

...and for the last three weeks, I still can't figure out how to properly put the thumbnail up on iTunes, even though the RSS feed is correct.

I have read that itunes can be strange with thumbnails, and the support isn't that great, so it's basically wait and hope. You could try repinging feedburner and then itunes for a 'reset', that helped when my rss feed was acting up.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I actually just got mine to fix but I can't say what I did different. I just changed the thumbnail in my rss feed.

I am bad at webdesign, as anyone who went to my site can probably attest, so my idea would just be a sort of one stop place with links to all of the goon run podcasts. I'm not saying that's a good idea, I just know it's what I'd end up doing.

BE BETTER THAN ME!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

The Capm posted:

So far I've listened to Lou Reads the Internet For You and Bloody Good Horror, both of which are great. I'm a more casual fan of horror movies but I still think BGH was really well done. Lou Reads the Internet was basically an audio Weekend Web, which is a great idea.

Well done, sirs.

Glad you liked BGH!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Poopinstein posted:

Glad you liked BGH!

It's good stuff. Have you guys ever done Phantasm? That movie features quite the sphere.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

The Capm posted:

It's good stuff. Have you guys ever done Phantasm? That movie features quite the sphere.

Actually, I think we did about two years back! As a matter of fact, thanks to the podcast I got to meet Reggie Bannister! (the mulleted ice cream truck driver from Phantasm)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Poopinstein posted:

Actually, I think we did about two years back! As a matter of fact, thanks to the podcast I got to meet Reggie Bannister! (the mulleted ice cream truck driver from Phantasm)

That's pretty cool. I haven't seen the sequels but is he the guy who shows up in all of them?

Also, I listened to Serious Business with Successful People today. The two hour episode where you guys talk about Snake Island. Very funny, very good. I'm still in that stage where I can't tell anyone apart but I still liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just registered http://www.gooncasts.com! (link doesn't work at the moment, but it is registered)

Hopefully someone can help me get a PHP database-type thing going, but initially the site will be a straight-up listing of goon podcasts with logos, links (blog/site/RSS/iTunes), descriptions and other simple HTML things, until I can figure out how to put in Twitter and RSS feeds and stuff like that. For now, fill in this Google Spreadsheet with your show's info and I'll put it on the site in the next week or so.

If GoDaddy continues to screw up linking their UK and US servers I'll move the Digital Porridge files and links to point to this new hosting.