Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«29 »
Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

i'd definitely give the pilot a listen if you posted it!

I currently have it sitting in a Google drive that I can add you too if youíd be comfortable providing an email address. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a good temporary hosting/streaming service I could throw it on, I could do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Sugartime Jones

Anyone here knowledgeable about RSS feed issues with podcasting apps?

Multiple listeners of my podcasts have mentioned problems with getting the latest episodes from their apps https://www.facebook.com/groups/10556964513/permalink/10155705012199514/

iTunes has the right RSS feeds for Role Playing Public Radio and RPPR Actual Play. Google Play Music had slightly incorrect URLs, but I just corrected it. Stitcher has the right feed URLs as well.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. I put some more links and info here https://ask.metafilter.com/320341/The-RSS-feed-of-my-podcasts-are-not-working-Ithink

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I feel like this is a stupid question but if my podcast is just one on one interviews, is it better to record and mix it live into a ready-to-go file, or record the inputs as separate tracks and mix it later?

So I'm using a zoom H5, and my current system is to record the two XLR mic inputs as separate mono tracks, then mix them in Audacity, and I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix.

I'm curious about mono mix mode on the H5, where you can record the two mono XLR mic inputs as stereo files and mix the inputs 'live' during recording. All I would have to do is export the wav file as an mp3 and upload it to Soundcloud. So less room for error, but much easier in terms of time spent and storage space on my computer. I could also record directly to an mp3, but I feel like that's just asking for trouble.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

H5 + 2 x mono channel user here. I couldnít record in anything else because having it mixed in a single file makes editing annoying sometimes when youíre trying to cut something out and someone else is making a noise and you canít isolate the two noises.

Edit: actually does it pan then left and right? May be ok.

Plus if youíre adding any post production jingles or voiceovers you canít just upload it straight away anyway.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yam Slacker

I think it's mostly a personal preference thing, but I always record isos for pretty much everything (not just podcasts) because it's a lot of potential benefit for very little extra effort. If someone bumps a mic or coughs at an inopportune time, it's gonna be way harder to save whatever is going on at the time if you're trying to edit a mix instead of tracks. I think I also do more extensive editing than a lot of people do, so that may not be something you're worried about. If you think you don't need them then you might not.

That said, this:

red19fire posted:

I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix
leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

Gin_Rummy posted:

I currently have it sitting in a Google drive that I can add you too if you’d be comfortable providing an email address. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a good temporary hosting/streaming service I could throw it on, I could do that instead.
Sorry, I completely missed this somehow! You can just use my username at gmail if you want, or put it up on soundcloud or something!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

I haven't done it for a while, but it's like i have to take each mono track and convert them to stereo tracks, then merge those stereo tracks together to make a normal L-R balanced track. Otherwise i get one mic on the left channel and the other mic on the right channel. There probably is an easier way though, yes. I guess I should pan the left mono track to the right, and the right mono track to the left, so they're in the middle?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You can do that, Iíve done it. But does the software have an option to split stereo tracks to two mono tracks?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yam Slacker

yeah, that definitely sounds like something is getting messed up either in the way the zoom saves its files or the way audacity uses them. i've never used the H5, but since thehustler doesn't have this same problem, i'm thinking maybe audacity is assigning each mono track to be a stereo channel instead of a mono track when you import?

again, audacity may have changed since i used it, but i think that in the left side header's drop down menu on each track, there was a way to change that assignment. i mostly used it to combine two hard-panned mono tracks into a stereo channel, but maybe something in there will let you go the other way round.

the other option is to try a different daw! reaper is the good free option, and if you can get it to work in there without any fuss, then you'll know something is funky with audacity.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I can check my files tomorrow. Usually it only happens when someone else recording for me presses the wrong button by mistake and takes it out of 2-channel mode.

go speed racer go
Dec 10, 2006

~wat it do, dough~

Just checking in here, as myself and a few other goons have been podcasting monthly for a while now. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated as always.

The Digital Bench
Main site || Facebook || Twitter || Twitch
iTunes Feed || RSS Feed
Genre: Video Games
Released: Monthly
Description: A group of goons decide to get together in a basement every month and talk a lot of poo poo about video games. Sometimes the games are good; other times they are not so good. Consistently fueled poor dining decisions and an incessant need to throw dark in the worst possible way.
Latest episode: 15 - It's fine.

This month epic Kingdom Hearts LP, drawbot, Toaster Beef, and myself get together to do a complete 180 on our Far Cry 5 impressions from last month. It's fine, in the "it's a playable video game" sense. Toaster Beef kind of goes in on it and goes into the never ending struggle to balance player agency against main plot threads in open world games. There's lots of God of War discussion as well. Surprise, it's actually really drat good. Oh yeah, Yakuza 6 is pretty dope too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I tell you what though, BBC Radio shows are usually recorded to a stereo mix and edited off that which is nuuuuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.

I've been producing a weekly comedy podcast for the past six months now, and we do it in a different way than most people. We broadcast our show over a shoutcast stream and those recorded episodes we list as the podcast. It's all the frustration of doing a podcast, all the while interacting with your community and playing music at the same time. It's all the fun of live radio, except learning everything on the fly.

our premise is simple: "each show is a live two hour production meeting for next week's show." We have recurring segments, guests and a discord channel where users can join us on the stream. There is no wrong way to go, every blooper and every triumph all contribute to the show's great power. nothing can go wrong, and everything is alright because for now it is Time For The Show

Time For The Show
iTunes , Google Play , TuneIn

Weekly, "comedy" live broadcast with recorded episode podcast.

If you're interested in the aspects of producing a live show via shoutcast, just ask. It definitely is a lot different than pre-recording shows and segments, and the mistakes (especially on my end) can be disastrous (and usually are). still, we push on in the attempts of trying to figure out what it is we are doing. Recently, there have been some issues with staying connected, but our friend and server admin is working with me (we will be conducting tests on the stream tonight after midnight edt).

«29 »