Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'll do so when I get home. Thanks for doing this!

So, I host my own RSS feed on the site. You guys seem to use feedburner. I know feedburner is an analytics tool. If I wanted to switch to it, I'd have to switch everything over, right? Is there is a way to have feedburner track the RSS feed I keep on my site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I added a column for user names, I forgot to put it in before, it'll probably help to figure out who's who.

As for changing to feedburner, I think it should read through your previous blog/site entries and figure out what to show on the RSS feed it outputs. I would probably suggest running Feedburner and what you have already for a couple of episodes, to make sure they match up ok before removing the original feed link.

edit: it was noted in the Comedy Podcast thread that the Gooncasts site should be a wiki-type site, that way folks can edit their own info, update logos, etc. I'm not sure how or if these types of sites can work with regularly updated Twitter feeds (maybe this isn't a necessary feature) but it will certainly make things easier if everyone maintains their own site.

If anyone has suggestions on open-source (e.g., free) Wiki software packages that are easy to set up on a Linux server let me know!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 11, 2011

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Nice, added all our info!

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I do a podcast: https://www.thiscdnlife.com

I'm looking forward to the summer so I can put more time into it.

reflex fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 11, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I still haven't gotten a chance to fill out that spreadsheet but one way I can think of to show support, and I'm doing it right now, is to rate/review on itunes the podcasts I've checked out already.

It takes 5-8 reviews to get enough ratings to display an average on itunes and I think that's a big help if anyone stumbles upon your show.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

The Capm posted:

That's pretty cool. I haven't seen the sequels but is he the guy who shows up in all of them?

Also, I listened to Serious Business with Successful People today. The two hour episode where you guys talk about Snake Island. Very funny, very good. I'm still in that stage where I can't tell anyone apart but I still liked it.
Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. I listened to episode 10 of DIV and I'm not going to lie your podcast is strange as poo poo, but I kept listening and ended up enjoying it. Also your theme music is pretty awesome.

Kushgroove thanks for putting the goonsite into motion, I think this is a great idea. I'll chip in $$$ if we want to run some banner ads.

Killfast37 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 12, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. I listened to episode 10 of DIV and I'm not going to lie your podcast is strange as poo poo, but I kept listening and ended up enjoying it. Also your theme music is pretty awesome.

Kushgroove thanks for putting the goonsite into motion, I think this is a great idea. I'll chip in $$$ if we want to run some banner ads.

Thanks man. If I could do anything as a dream job, it'd probably be composing theme songs for stuff like this.

Put me down as willing to contribute some scratch to any sort of advertising.

I'm on my second pass of listening to all of the gun run podcasts, including Digital Porridge, Caustic Soda, Stuff Weekly and Soggy Cereal. I've been trying to rate/review everyone I have listened to as well. SUPPORT!!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 12, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome! Can't wait to get more reviews on our iTunes page...we only have two and no matter how much I *literally* beg my friends they can't be bothered to take 2 minutes out of their lives to do a drat review. It's not like they even have to install anything, they've already got iTunes...

I'm listening to a bunch of the shows also, they're just mixed in with my other subscriptions so I get to them whenever my Android phone player gets to them.

Gooncasts.com update
So I've got the gooncasts.com domain and all, but setting up a hosted wiki is more complicated than I thought. I'd have to SSH into the server, install packages and all this poo poo...so I found a free Wiki site called editthis.info and started a wiki for Gooncasts: http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page which I can forward the domain to easily.

I suppose the main advantage of this is that it's simply domain forwarding rather than dealing with hosting, but with the wiki site anyone who does a show can edit their own info. The disadvantage is that any jackass can sign up and mess up someone's wiki page (just like wikipedia), but there are 'undo' options in each page's history so this shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately there's no way to vet who is signing up.

I've added the names of the podcasts that have been entered in the Gooncasts spreadsheet, but no other info so far. There's also a lot of podcasts mentioned ITT that aren't on the spreadsheet!

So the question is: Does anyone have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 15, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to get more reviews on our iTunes page...we only have two and no matter how much I *literally* beg my friends they can't be bothered to take 2 minutes out of their lives to do a drat review. It's not like they even have to install anything, they've already got iTunes...

I have had the exact same problem, so I certainly sympathize. Just FYI, I still can't get your show on itunes. I had to go to the site and download it and then add it to itunes and when I do, it comes up as under the artist "x" :c00l:

krushgroove posted:

So the question is: Does anyone have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://editthis.info/gooncasts/Main_Page rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

I have no problem with it and I also can't do anything better. Assuming anyone actually even looks at the thing, we'll just need to be vigilant against vandalism. It seems like there should be some sort of authentication process for users. Have you looked at http://www.wikidot.com ? I feel like that has admin rights type stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

The Capm posted:

I have had the exact same problem, so I certainly sympathize. Just FYI, I still can't get your show on itunes. I had to go to the site and download it and then add it to itunes and when I do, it comes up as under the artist "x" :c00l:

I have no problem with it and I also can't do anything better. Assuming anyone actually even looks at the thing, we'll just need to be vigilant against vandalism. It seems like there should be some sort of authentication process for users. Have you looked at http://www.wikidot.com ? I feel like that has admin rights type stuff.

wikidot looks a lot easier to use, plus the whole member vetting process is good IMO. I'll make something on there and see what it's like.

Regarding the iTunes issues with Digital Porridge, in the next week or two (probably sooner) I'll be getting a .com address with hosting and running the hell away from Go Daddy. Thanks for getting to the site and downloading it though! It'd be fantastic to get a bunch of us getting feedback and reviews from each other so we can all improve stuff on our shows, or at least get some input.

e: OK, editing the initial pages of the Gooncasts wiki on wikidot.com, I'll open it up to membership hopefully later today.

e2: Didn't want to post twice in a row, but I've done the first page and a working show page for my podcast.

GOONCAST WIKI PAGE HERE: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/

I'll add wiki pages for all the shows that have completed the Gooncast spreadsheet so far - any other shows will need to be added by the goons that run/appear on the show. To add a page or edit your info you'll need to sign up to Wikidot (it's free, natch, and takes a minute and clicking a confirmation email link) and then go to the Join page of the wiki - new members have to be goons, this is just to prevent random trashing of the pages.

This is what your show's page might look like with a logo and episode links: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/digital-porridge

So. Have at it.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 16, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just recorded some promos that will hopefully be OK once they're edited, going to put them on the wiki and on the Digital Porridge blog for anyone to download and include in their shows.

Are we going to set up a promo exchange and all that?

I've also started doing iTunes reviews for the shows I've listened to so far! Lou Reads was the first one :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'll definitely exchange promos. I need to have a moment to record one. Work and school are running me ragged.

I also can not get your podcast to play. I downloaded it from your site and can play it but I can't put it on my ipod. I don't know what the problem is. I'm going to try again when I get some time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm editing our podcast tonight and will get a couple of the promos that we did yesterday online. I really really want to get a nice exchange/network of cross-promotion going with the gooncasts thing.

Also, pretty pissed off that no one can seem to get the podcast working. I've got a long lunch today and will arrange a new hosting situation for Digital Porridge.

I'm going to download the latest episode of every podcast that's been listed so far that I haven't checked out so far, I hope everyone is listed on iTunes so I can review!

e: OK, just tried to download everyone's latest show, general feedback without listening to all of them yet:
The Capm - the Facebook link just goes to the facebook.com, not your show's page
Goddimus - sorry to hear your show run ended before I could check it out :( I wasn't able to download The Expendables show or the one for Inglorious Basterds but I suppose I can guess why.
King Lou - I already subscribe to Lou Reads :) the only thing I can say is basically the more disgusting/strange the better, as far as I'm concerned. My favorites are the disgusting ones, your reactions to the weirdness is half the show! Also, if you bring them up again, I'd suggest mentioning the download issues at the start of the show, maybe... Talking about the solution at the end of the show, when it's possible to be cut off (for folks downloadig a bunch at a time from the website) could mean the explanation gets cut off... but OTOH normal subscribers shouldn't really get this problem, since they'll just be getting one file at a time.
Matt Cruea - the YNIN shows are VERY SLOW to download, just FYI
MrSpiffy - what, seriously? I literally this morning just saw your Real Life Mario Cart video on Youtube, was linked there from Reddit :) it was on the front page
Poopinstein - looking forward to listening to yours, I'm a horror movie fan but since I'm in the UK and don't go on movie websites much I'm a bit behind the curve on Hollywood stuff. I grabbed the only recent episode for a movie I've seen lately: The Last Exorcism
reflex - the second show downloaded fine, but the first one didn't at all, tried twice

Everyone -
- Only a few shows seem to have a logo attached to the ID3 tag of the MP3 files...it's a minor thing and not sure if y'all care but I'm one of those rare people like to be able to ID MP3s at a glance.
- Also, nearly half of the files are named with just numbers and jumbles of letters (or maybe just a date), which makes it hard to decipher which show is which when the files are on a computer desktop, but some are labelled intuitively, like 'YNIN', 'MepRep', 'MRR', 'DIV', 'Caustic Soda', etc. which is easier to figure out. Just minor usability comments I guess.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 18, 2011

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!
Very cool man, I'll be setting up TRID's wiki on your site soon.

Thanks for setting that up.

Goose42
Dec 30, 2002
Myself and another dude have a podcast - we've been doing it off and on for a couple years now...

General comedy that goes all over the place.

The Popcorn Trick

sorry if this means you have to go to itunes. I'm not the tech guy. We also have a blog where you can search and possibly download directly...

http://www.thepopcorntrick.com

The 2 most recent episodes are probably a good place to get a feel if you would like it or not. Then you can jump into our deep tracks.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

krushgroove posted:

The Capm - the Facebook link just goes to the facebook.com, not your show's page

I'll try to fix that facebook link. I thought I had but I guess not. It's surprisingly non intuitive to just be able to link to a page. I also have a regular facebook account and the podcast is a sort of subpage, so maybe that's the problem? Maybe you need to be logged into facebook to make it work?

I've got my promo recorded and will upload it to the wiki this week. Next week is also the week I start running promos, starting with Digital Porridge since you've done so much to get this idea off the ground.

Also, if you're going to listen to one episode of the podcast, the latest might not be the best place to start. I spent all last weekend designing buttons and stickers and poo poo so I did an all music episode because it'd be easy to edit. Until you know if you like the music I make, I'd say this weeks or just about any other episode would be a better choice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome, I'll get our promos edited in the next couple of days so they can be downloaded. Can't wait to get more exchanges going between all the gooncasters!

For anyone who's applied to edit the gooncasts wiki page, you've been approved, many apologies for the wait. I didn't realize the site didn't email me when there were applications, and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it do that, so it looks like I'll have to check every couple of days.

And if you've downloaded the latest episode of Digital Porridge (#17) before tonight, please download it again - I didn't change the link URL when copypasting and the RSS pointed at episode 15 for a few days. Sorry about that, but re-downloading if necessary is worth it, #17 is one of our best shows yet, we think!

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!
Awesome. Just added TRID's stuff.

Going to try and brainstorm on how to add a little more 'flare' to the show's wiki.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Holy poo poo trying to write bios for other members AND add links for 24 separate eps sure does take a while, but I finally got the Gooncast page put together for Spankwagon. Right now the video links for eps eight and earlier are broken, but I'm going to work with our web admin to get those fixed.

BTW, we did one more test run before the site relaunches on the 22nd. Our current plan is to post some new prerecorded material and then have a live show on March 4th. But I'd like it if people would have a look at the test runs and some of the previous eps to let us know what they think.

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!
Yeh, I didn't add links to all the episodes of TRID, just kind of a best of selection since we almost have 50 episodes so far.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I don't podcast as yet, but I've been working on a concept - trying to figure out how to make it work and whether or not I can get a friend or two committed. Anyway, just chiming in to say that I've checked out 75% of the podcasts in this thread, and I've enjoyed everything I've listened to thus far - and I've added several to my regular rotation. Keep up the nice work everyone!

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I've been doing my show for the last 4 years, but I'm a dude who wants to get into radio, so my show is very much about news. Feel free to listen and let me know what you think, cause I do the show alone for at least 1 hour a day. Weekdays. I very much appreciate it.

WedgeRadio.net

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

downfall posted:

I don't podcast as yet, but I've been working on a concept - trying to figure out how to make it work and whether or not I can get a friend or two committed. Anyway, just chiming in to say that I've checked out 75% of the podcasts in this thread, and I've enjoyed everything I've listened to thus far - and I've added several to my regular rotation. Keep up the nice work everyone!

If you listen on itunes, even if you haven't listened to mine, rate and review them! It helps!

BTW to anyone, the most recent episode of my show is a good place to start, I think.

EDIT: Hey Kushgroove, I've sent in an application to edit.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 21, 2011

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

krushgroove posted:

reflex - the second show downloaded fine, but the first one didn't at all, tried twice

Hmm, I downloaded it yesterday to check and it worked fine. Must have been a Libsyn problem.

Also, everyone please review and rate my podcast on iTunes if you could be so kind:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/this-canadian-life/id411325529

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Goddimus posted:

I podcast with 3 other goons in a weekly show, called Movie Rental Roundup, that generally runs 45 minutes to an hour per episode. Our show is at http://www.movierentalroundup.com and we review movie rentals, if that wasn't already apparent. It definitely give us a lot of opportunity for creativity as we can review any movie that can be rented, be it fresh releases or 80's favorites. We essentially talk about one movie a week, give our review of it, give a recommendation to rent or to avoid, and try to be as funny and entertaining as we can.

It's a lot of fun and we have been doing it for half a year now with no end in sight.

-The Capm I will check out your show this week.

I was just going through this thread again. DId you really kill your podcast? Like a month after posting it with "no end in sight."

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just finished editing some promos, I'm surprised we got as many as we did for the amount of time we recorded... if anyone wants to take these and stick them in their show, or wants to trade promos (we'll listen to every show that wants to trade!), there are four different 30-second promos here: http://digitalporridge.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/is-you-is-a-podcaster/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

You have some serious 'plosive' noise going on in some of those promos.

I guess it helps to think about how its going to sound shoehorned into someone else's podcast. I'd have a hard time segueing into any of those.

I'm down do trade promos but we should probably think about how we want them to sound or whatever. I just would rather not try to force a huge tonal change down anyones throats mid-podcast.

Anything I make is probably going to be like "Hi, You're listening to Digital Porridge. My name is Lou from the Podcast, Lou Reads the Internet for You. When you're done listening to the cross-Atlantic stylings of DP why not stop by loureads.com for you bi-weekly fill of the internets worst discussion read for you in a pleasant manner. You'll be glad you did... maybe glad isn't the word... Now back to Digital Porridge."

Something to consider.

I made this for the Shroom With a View podcast a couple of months ago.

Also

quote:

Customer Ratings
We have not received enough ratings to display an average for this podcast.

I wish more people would take the time to vote for poo poo. Also, did you know that itunes shows different comments in the iTunes Store proper and on the web interface? I just read 3 great comments that I'd never seen before. But they are only on the iTunes Page for my podcast http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/lou-reads-the-internet-for-you/id310513394?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Thats really kind of lame...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 24, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I don't think anyone understands iTunes. It just works really, really strangely. Also, I'm one of the reviews that shows up in the iTunes program for your show (but not on the site).

RE: the promos, I'm totally down for doing custom promos for a particular show, we did the generic, off-the-cuff plugs to get the ball rolling with Gooncasts. And we're getting a new mic soon, right now we're just recording on a lecture recorder with no pop screen and Mat really likes to lean down into the drat thing!

As for getting reviews, don't feel too bad, you have lots of shows but I've literally had to stand over friends at work to get them to put reviews on. And one friend I've had for seven(!) years point blank refuses to review the show, simply because he doesn't listen to podcasts, even after several other friends told him 'that is what friends do for each other'. :/

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm definitely into trading promos and plan to put something for Digital Porridge into the next episode I do. I recorded one last week:

http://www.deadideavalhalla.com/Promo/30secDIVspot.mp3

which is musical.

I'm not adverse to doing custom promos but I'll have to find the time to record some. I wrote mine in a way that would fit really well into my podcast and maybe not into anyone elses but Dead Idea Valhalla is, quote, "weird as poo poo" so that might be why.

More ratings/reviews for some other casts in this thread coming this weekend. Lou, I have to say again that your podcast is fantastic. There's a rhythm to it that I really appreciate.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it sounds sort of tricky to pull off a smooth segue into anyones podcast in a show that doesn't have breaks. I'm planning on putting mine after the song in the middle but before the 2nd bit but for something like Lou Reads or for something that is a more traditional Dudes Talking podcast, unless there is a break in the middle, where would it go, no matter how it sounds?

Woffle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 25, 2011

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.
Oh why not...

My Favorite Stranger

website RSS iTunes Facebook Twitter

Cross-continental self-loathing and self-discovery between a guy (in Holland) and a girl (in LA). They will never meet.

We're not necessarily trying to be 'funny', but rather genuine, human, and honest in exploring outselves and our worlds...

I know this sort of podcast isn't for everybody, but we hit #13 in the iTunes comedy podcast charts a while back, and have been featured all over the front of iTunes multiple times (just in case that sways your decision to give us a listen):

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Zeiros posted:

I know this sort of podcast isn't for everybody, but we hit #13 in the iTunes comedy podcast charts a while back, and have been featured all over the front of iTunes multiple times (just in case that sways your decision to give us a listen):

May I ask you where your audience comes from and discovers your podcast? Do you have any idea how you got to #13? It seems like an odd candidate for top 15. Not dissing you show. I'm actually listening to it now and it seems pleasant enough so far! I'm just always curious about how things take off. I've discovered fans in weird corners, like random corners of reddit and elsewhere but :iiam: how many people have heard of it if they aren't from SA. Also, as has been mentioned, getting people to rate a show is like pulling teeth.

In other news I started uploading my podcast to mixcloud (http://i.mixcloud.com/CRVkb) just to have them up somewhere else. I also upgraded my own server so hopefully the next episode won't have the download issue anymore.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Well, after a relaunch that contained more than I originally expected, we finally have a new episode up. Have a watch and let me know what you think.

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

May I ask you where your audience comes from and discovers your podcast? Do you have any idea how you got to #13? It seems like an odd candidate for top 15. Not dissing you show. I'm actually listening to it now and it seems pleasant enough so far! I'm just always curious about how things take off. I've discovered fans in weird corners, like random corners of reddit and elsewhere but :iiam: how many people have heard of it if they aren't from SA. Also, as has been mentioned, getting people to rate a show is like pulling teeth.

Sure, and no worries about the question, we are an exceptionally odd thing to find in the top of the comedy charts (I'd actually like to recategorize the podcast, because comedy isn't really correct, but no other category fits either, so we're stuck there for now).

The vast majority of our initial listeners came via Twitter, where both of us have a few thousand followers on our 'joke telling' accounts.

The growth thereafter happened in a few big bursts: Two prominent iTunes listings (no idea where these came from, I just guess somebody in the iTunes office heard and liked us), shoutouts from other podcasts (nothing we asked for, just people saying "hey, we heard, and like, this..."), occasional bursts of visitors via StumbleUpon. Outside of the big spurts of growth, our download count is increasing steadily in an organic way as I guess people stumble over the website, or recommend us to friends.

Outside of publicizing the occasional episode on Twitter, and maintaining a Facebook page, this post is the first bit of advertising I've ever done for the podcast, I started out thinking I'd be happy if seven people listened. The actual response was pleasantly surprising.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Zeiros posted:

The vast majority of our initial listeners came via Twitter, where both of us have a few thousand followers on our 'joke telling' accounts.

The growth thereafter happened in a few big bursts: Two prominent iTunes listings (no idea where these came from, I just guess somebody in the iTunes office heard and liked us), shoutouts from other podcasts (nothing we asked for, just people saying "hey, we heard, and like, this..."), occasional bursts of visitors via StumbleUpon. Outside of the big spurts of growth, our download count is increasing steadily in an organic way as I guess people stumble over the website, or recommend us to friends.

Wait a second. You each had several thousand followers on "Joke Telling" accounts? What's that all about? I mean starting with a base of 2-3k potential listeners is basically unheard of for most podcasts. How is it that you both have huge followings on twitter? What are these jokes?! Also did you make the art for that rectangular button in the middle of the itunes store?

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

Wait a second. You each had several thousand followers on "Joke Telling" accounts? What's that all about? I mean starting with a base of 2-3k potential listeners is basically unheard of for most podcasts. How is it that you both have huge followings on twitter? What are these jokes?! Also did you make the art for that rectangular button in the middle of the itunes store?

Our Twitter accounts are @Ahm76 and @cmb, between us that's about 5,000 followers. (ugh, my language was unclear, I meant 'together' we have a few thousand followers, not we 'both' have a few thousand). You can see who we are on there, we both engage with people largely through jokes and observations. We're not famous or notable, we're just two people who share observations on the world.

As for the art on the rectangular button. The logo was created by Ahm (see picture in my first post), but turning it into a shiny button happens on the desk of somebody at iTunes. There is no notification to the podcaster. iTunes updates the frontpage on Tuesdays. First time it happened I was self-hosting the episodes and I nearly got RUINED by bandwidth costs.

Zeiros fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 27, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I had an episode get selected by buzzfeed for the front page and the file suddenly stopped being available as 5,000 people tried to download it. Thanks Dreamhost!

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

King Lou posted:

Yeah, I had an episode get selected by buzzfeed for the front page and the file suddenly stopped being available as 5,000 people tried to download it. Thanks Dreamhost!

I remember you asking about podcast hosting in the comedy podcast thread, I guess this would be a good place to add my answer to the pile.

I signed up for dedicated podcast hosting at blubrry.com (I think libsyn.com is virtually identical). It's about 10 bucks a month, unlimited bandwidth, although you can only upload 100Mb of new material every month on the cheapest account.

They handled our the biggest rushes without a hitch, the podcast website itself is run on one of the goon owned hosts that advertises here.

edit: I'm a big fan of your podcast, Lou, just gettin' that out there

Zeiros fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 27, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Zeiros posted:

Oh why not...

My Favorite Stranger

website RSS iTunes Facebook Twitter

Cross-continental self-loathing and self-discovery between a guy (in Holland) and a girl (in LA). They will never meet.

We're not necessarily trying to be 'funny', but rather genuine, human, and honest in exploring outselves and our worlds...

Just started listening to the latest episode...I like it. Kind of similar to what my show is like, with the cross-Atlantic thing, except I've lived in the UK for 7 years now...and I've met my podcasting partner! Pretty cool...subscribing :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Welp, today I finally got a hosted .com domain for the podcast. The main reasons were the .com, new FTP server, adding a play-in-browser media player (also has a pop-out window option), and the theme. I put a longer blog post on the site with a bit more detail but that's about it. Hopefully this clears up that drat iTunes problem we've had with the show - I tested it at home and it's fine but I'll have to see if anyone else has any issues.

Backing up and moving the Wordpress blog from Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org was super easy, and updating the Feedburner feed was as simple as literally deleting '.wordpress' from the 'http://digitalporridge.wordpress.com/feed' URL.

Anyway. If anyone wants to check it out the new site is here: http://www.digitalporridge.com/ yay!

I have to update the URLs on the Gooncasts wiki site too - which reminds me: if anyone wants to add their show to Gooncasts, get a loving wiggle on! It's not going to build itself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I still need to make a couple of updates to our Gooncast page, but I wanted to make sure to link our newest ep here. In the short history of the Spankwagon Austin Bureau, I think it's one of the best eps we've ever done.