Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

UnderDiscussion gets about 120 unique downloads per episode, but we're an unfocused niche podcast that regularly goes off topic.
Our sister show Preferred Enemies gets something like 3000 unique downloads an episode but they've proven that their listeners really don't like them going off topic (40k discussion) because when they do those episodes drop about a third.
At this point I've accepted that UnderDiscussion will never have a large audience, but the fans we do have are dedicated. Last GenCon I met a couple who drove about 12 hours to get to the con and they said they listed to episodes the entire way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Synesthesia Theatre
iTunes | RSS | Website

Genre
Audio drama

Release Schedule
Every other Tuesday

Goons
psychomomp

Description
An audio drama serial anthology. We present 6-12 episode serial audio drama stories performed by local Chicago actors. Genre varies, but our first 11-part serial is a steampunk western

First Episode
Iron Horses Can't Be Broken, part 1. Generally best consumed in order. Iron Horses tells the story of a detective Alton Bartleby as he scours the American west searching for Sarah, the sister he abandoned ten years prior. Nothing can prepare him for what he finds… or who she’s become.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've been taking a podcasting class this semester and have fallen in love with it. I just spent $500 on a set of gear for working on my podcast. I hope I do not regret this.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
How "not technical"? If they can manage Skype, that probably the best audio you are going to get without investing big in hardware. If they can't do any more than the phone, just tap the line with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Rec...=phone+recorder

You'll have to mix that together, or your voice also sounds like it is coming in off of a telephone line. There are some really cheap digital recorders that toss that adapter in as an extra, you could go that route if you only have one recording device.

http://www.amazon.com/AQURE-Digital...r+phone+adapter

I made a couple of effort posts about more or less this same thing a while ago, here they are so you don't have to go looking

Antifreeze Head posted:

In that case you may as well just record a second waveform on the computer using if Skype or just through the line-in port if by phone. To tap your cell phone, you'll need a cable like this:

which you might just have lying around if you ever owned a camcorder, otherwise it is about two bucks on Amazon (search 4 pole RCA). You'll need to split the audio channels to some monitor speakers and off to the line-in on the PC, plus have some sort of cheap mic to send a signal back. Might be looking at $20 for all that, much of which can be found at the dollar store.

A land line will require this:

which is unlikely to be a thing you just happen to have around, but it only costs four bucks on Amazon (search RJ 11 to 3.5mm). You'll need a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable like you'd use to plug in an ipod to an AUX IN port on something, which is exactly what you will do with that, plug it into the computer and so you can record. You probably have one of those, if not, they are also a dollar store sourceable part.

Editing with this can get tricky if you talk over each other a lot. Unlike the cellphone method that will just record the caller side audio, this method gets you and the caller on the recording. That will be a real pain in the rear end for the first couple of episodes until you learn to shut the gently caress up when the other guy is talking so you don't have an editing nightmare to deal with afterwards.

If you feel like dropping hundreds instead of just the cash you'd save by skipping a couple of beers this weekend. If you have a lot of cash to spend on this (seriously, don't yet, wait until you've been going for at least six months) there are many more fancy things out there, but this is the it's-not-pretty-but-it-works solution.

Antifreeze Head posted:

None of that goes directly to the computer, but signal gets to one eventually. Follow this somewhat lengthily guide for a cheap and inelegant solution for what you are trying to do with audio considerably better than putting someone on speakerphone.

Here's a diagram of what needs to happen:

If there is a heavy black rectangle showing the connections you have to make with a cable of some sort. They're all labelled and here are some pictures. And when I say PC Line In, Microphone In also works, just like Speaker Out will work instead of Headphone Out.

Just so everything is in one post, here's the Camcorder Cable (one male 3.5 mm to three female RCA)

Y-Splitter (one male to two female)

RCA to 3.5mm cable (two male RCA to one 3.5 mm Male)

Mystery Cable/Adapter to attach the Omni mic to the phone (probably this female stereo 3.5 mm to male mono RCA adapter)

The Omni Mic (omnidirectional microphone) is a cheap desktop mic for a computer. It's cable is a mystery because maybe you find something that has an RCA on it already, but you almost certainly won't because the cheap ones all pretty much have a 3.5mm male end so you can plug them into your computer.

Here's it is step by step:

1) Connect the Camcorder Cable to the Phone.

*2) Connect the Omni Mic to the Camcorder Cable using the Mystery Cable/Adapter.

*3) Connect the PC (Line In) to the Camcorder Cable using the RCA to 3.5mm Cable

Note: I cannot tell you which colours to use for these, you are going to have to do a bit of trial and error testing. Your first impulse will be to connect the red and white from the Camcorder Cable to the red and white of the RCA to 3.5mm Cable and use the yellow for the Omni Mic. And that may be correct, or it may not. You can be sure that one of red or white will be audio so the trial and error to switch everything around won't take much doing.

4) Connect the PC (Headphone Out) to Headphones A and B using the Y-Splitter.

5.1) If using Windows, make sure you can hear the Line In input. Right click on the speaker icon on the task bar (lower right) and then left click on Recording Properties. From the Sound dialogue box, right click on the Line In icon and then left click on Properties. From the Line In Properties dialogue box, left click on the Listen tab and make sure the box next to "Listen to this device" has a check mark. Click Apply/OK as necessary until all dialogue boxes are closed.

5.2) If using a Mac, figure it out your own drat self.

5.3) If using Linux, you probably should have figured all this out yourself.

6) Configure recording software to use Line In for as its source. Check levels!

Here's what happens once everything is working:

You and your co-host are recording on the Zoom like always. What you say will be recorded there, but also picked up with the Omni Mic and sent to the caller. As far a the phone knows, it just has a headset attached.

What the caller says will be heard in your headphones as it is recorded on the computer. Your voices will not be recorded on the computer, only the caller's. The file from the Zoom and the file from the computer then have to be edited together. This seems stupid but it makes editing much better because if one of you cough or interrupt the caller, it can be edited out. From the listener's perspective, this is a good thing.

You could take the audio out from the computer and put it to monitor speakers, but there is a chance your Zoom starts recording it so it is better to go with headphones. You may experience some trouble hearing your cohost if you have headphones on, so just use one side.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 19, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So a few of my friends started a tabletop gaming (i.e. mostly 40K) podcast about called Rolling the Dice a few months ago, and while I wouldn't really call it good I've been enjoying it, but I'm obviously a bit biased. Would anyone mind providing feedback? My friends are all podcast novices and would appreciate any advice they could get.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 27, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

blue squares posted:

I've been taking a podcasting class this semester and have fallen in love with it. I just spent $500 on a set of gear for working on my podcast. I hope I do not regret this.

Mind if I ask what gear you got?

I'm really wanting to start a podcast, but I'm torn between either buying a Tascam DR-40 or dropping the big bux for a DR-680.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Mind if I ask what gear you got?

I'm really wanting to start a podcast, but I'm torn between either buying a Tascam DR-40 or dropping the big bux for a DR-680.

I got nice headphones, a Zoom H4N digital recorder, and an ATR-2100 microphone. I also bought the Reaper software after disliking Audacity.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

blue squares posted:

I got nice headphones, a Zoom H4N digital recorder, and an ATR-2100 microphone. I also bought the Reaper software after disliking Audacity.

I just discovered and bought Reaper as well. Holy crap did that save me time in editing. :)

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire
hey guys, I got the Danger Zone Podcast that I've been releasing every Tuesday. I'm currently using a Samson and Blue Snowball usb mic but I'm thinking of upgrading my setup.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to sound equipment, or at least what is required for a non usb mic recording setup.

Advice is appreciated.

8one6
May 20, 2012

What are you wanting to spend?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I have just discovered how fantastic an iPhone voice memo recording can sound after you bung it in Audition, stick a multiband broadcast preset compressor on it, and EQ some bass into it.
Edit: put some top end on too

I mean, if you listen carefully it's not like it's comparable to my SM58s or anything, but I'm stunned at what I was able to figure out. Sometimes I don't have my podcast gear as one of my co-hosts is off doing an interview somewhere, so this way I can actually record a voiceover or a link with just what I have in the house. Don't get too close to the mic (6-12 inches is good), but don't stay far back from it either or it'll sound echoey. Don't talk too loud, fix that in post, the mic is pretty sensitive to pops.

So yeah, don't rule out equipment like that if it's all you have to hand.

Also, are we allowed to repost our podcast information, if it's been a while since we posted it? Want to give my show a listener bump and some potential new subscribers, but don't want to spam it.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2016

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire

8one6 posted:

What are you wanting to spend?

maybe like around 500-1000 ish

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D
Hi! I make a video podcast about everyday life in Japan called "Yokohama Station".
I'm not entirely sure who might be interested in such a thing, but if any of you are, here is the link:

https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/yokohama-station/id1046377136?mt=2

(No web page yet, but videos are also on YouTube if you search for Yokohama Station ddblue0)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So it feels like, unlike with writing, there is almost no avenue to be a "freelance podcaster." As a writer, I can cover almost any topic and pitch it to a magazine, but as a podcaster, I pretty much have to build my own show and put out regular episodes. I can't just do one-off productions and send them to somewhere that is the podcast equivalent of a magazine, especially not if I want to make money for my work.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

There are lots of podcasts that accept submissions. The Pod Delusion for one, I think. Big market there for anyone who wants to start that. It'd be like Storyville on BBC tv

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Podcasts are going live on Google Play. Heard a lot of people having problems with episodes missing or some of their descriptions being incomplete.

Ours seems fine, though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have a vague recollection of filling in some form or other to get on that but it was ages ago.

What's the story? Can we just submit like with iTunes and it'll go through a submission process?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, there's a site you can use to submit your podcasts. https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

psychopomp posted:

Yeah, there's a site you can use to submit your podcasts. https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish

Not in the UK, there isn't :(

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Took a few weeks but Lou Reads is available in the Google Play thing now.

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Izk43puqf7rq3kcxsz6mef3iazi

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

King Lou posted:

Took a few weeks but Lou Reads is available in the Google Play thing now.

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Izk43puqf7rq3kcxsz6mef3iazi

I JUST NOW got the pun in your podcast title. After all this time. Sigh.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Anybody here know of any film commentary podcasts? We're thinking of doing a skeptical film podcast (since we're the Edinburgh Skeptics) where we watch a film and just talk over it about the science and tech and whether it's plausible or not.

Wondering how to go about it, do I want the audio of the film very low in the BG, or is that going to be a copyright issue? Like, I'm sure it will get picked up incidentally in the background anyway while we're recording, but I use SM58s so the sound won't get picked up very much.

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

Anybody here know of any film commentary podcasts? We're thinking of doing a skeptical film podcast (since we're the Edinburgh Skeptics) where we watch a film and just talk over it about the science and tech and whether it's plausible or not.

Wondering how to go about it, do I want the audio of the film very low in the BG, or is that going to be a copyright issue? Like, I'm sure it will get picked up incidentally in the background anyway while we're recording, but I use SM58s so the sound won't get picked up very much.

My friends and I do something like that. We have the film audio fed into the interface so we can hear it on our headsets but we don't add it as a channel to the recording so it doesn't show up on the commentary. We tried just keeping the sound low on the first couple of episodes and after light compression you can make out the film. If it was a movie anyone gave a gently caress about we could be in trouble.

If you want it to be a track people listen to while watching the film you just need an obvious sync point. We usually have the listener pause the commentary and hit play once the production company logos fade completely to black.

Here's an example of what we do.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

My friends and I do something like that. We have the film audio fed into the interface so we can hear it on our headsets but we don't add it as a channel to the recording so it doesn't show up on the commentary. We tried just keeping the sound low on the first couple of episodes and after light compression you can make out the film. If it was a movie anyone gave a gently caress about we could be in trouble.

If you want it to be a track people listen to while watching the film you just need an obvious sync point. We usually have the listener pause the commentary and hit play once the production company logos fade completely to black.

Here's an example of what we do.

This is excellent, thanks a lot and I'll go and listen to your work :)

Headphones looks like the way to go I think, really don't want any audio bleedover to torpedo the whole thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

This is excellent, thanks a lot and I'll go and listen to your work :)
Keep in mind the forced filmography episodes are as low effort as possible, at least one of us is drinking during a recording, and I don't include them in the podcasts rss feed because they are some of the most self indulgent poo poo we do.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

Keep in mind the forced filmography episodes are as low effort as possible, at least one of us is drinking during a recording, and I don't include them in the podcasts rss feed because they are some of the most self indulgent poo poo we do.
Heh ok.

To be honest I'm doing this as a pilot and it'll be self indulgent for us too. It'll be an interesting topic and we just want to see if it has legs and if our regular podcast downloaders are interested in that kinda thing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Continuity and Change

Available on: LibSyn | iTunes |

Social Media: Facebook

Genre: Australian Politics, analysis and satire

Release Schedule: once a week

Goons: Just myself (BOAT SHOWBOAT) with two non-goons

Description: Three postgraduate students dissect and lampoon the week in Australian politics with a mix of irreverence and genuine insight. Across the three of us we sit at different ends of the political spectrum but the discourse cuts across both humorous, informative and argumentative. We aim for a health balance of letting the conversation flow naturally without going too off-topic.

The episodes do assume some familiarity with Auspol but we would love to get the input of people not from Australia as well and try and make it accesible more broadly.

Most recent episode: Episode 2: Bishop, Libertarianism and Aly

In our second episode, we discuss the ends of MPs Brownwyn Bishop (for Choppergate) and Dennis Densen (for publishing erotic novels), make fun of libertarians and discuss whether broadcaster Waleed Aly's appeal is due to "tokenism".

Sound quality is considerably improved since our last episode.

Next episode: Negative Gearing, Asylum Seekers, the Plibersek Handshake

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

The XX Files

Available on: iTunes / Libsyn

Social Media: Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Genre: TV/Entertainment

Release Schedule: Tuesdays @ Noon

Goons: Hosted by myself and PezMaster.

Description: Our official description is "Join Alison and Courtney on a spooky adventure as they re-watch and recap all 9 seasons of the cult TV classic The X-Files. This female-fronted podcast provides episodic commentary, cryptid news, and updates on all things unexplained." but in reality we're a comedy podcast that talk about as much about dicks and poops as we do about the X-Files. We're critics at heart, and we're not interested in sucking Chris Carter's ween. (Metaphorically speaking, but also literally speaking)

We're local to Vancouver BC so we also talk a bit about shooting locations, and we run some local charity events in the community as well.

Most Recent Episode: S02E08 - One Breath

Topics covered: J.O. Crystals, testicles, high school science class dissection stories, Sting's tantric edging abilities, and some very fake facts about Reiki. Oh, and Scully's hot sister.

Next Episode: S02E09 - Firewalker: Throat dicks, how to know if you were a barf child or a poop child, and Bradley Whitford as Volcano Rambo.

Oh, Also!: We have a $7/month Snail Mail perk on our podcast network's Patreon where we send people something fun in the mail each month. For June, July and Sept we're doing a three-part curated Season 2 mixtape.

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 14, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That is the best loving name

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oh god does anybody know why Audition CC, when you ripple delete on one track, will completely remove the envelope keyframes on a totally different track? It is the most frustrating poo poo.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What is everyone using to record skype calls? It seems to be getting worse and worse lately. I have Pamela call recorder and Mp3 skype recorder but neither seems to work well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

What is everyone using to record skype calls? It seems to be getting worse and worse lately. I have Pamela call recorder and Mp3 skype recorder but neither seems to work well.

We do it the hard way. I have a separate laptop just for skype that we connect into our soundboard/interface (it's an old hand me down with a half broken screen) and all of that gets piped into Studio One.

If you have everyone on separate channels it might be worth it to try to pick up an old $100 laptop so you're not having to fight with different recording software.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Other way is to get the other side to record their audio locally and send it on. Better quality if they have the kit to do it. Even a decent smartphone will be better than Skype compression.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

thehustler posted:

Other way is to get the other side to record their audio locally and send it on. Better quality if they have the kit to do it. Even a decent smartphone will be better than Skype compression.

This is what I've done whenever I've guested on a podcast like F Plus or whatever. Just launch Audacity & skype or hangouts and record. It isn't too hard to match the audio together.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I've been gone for some time, but I wanted to post that my show, The Wedge Radio Show, is hitting the 1,000th episode next week. Almost 10 years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Congrats, keeping something going in your spare time for that long is an amazing achievement. I'm starting to burn out after a year of weekly episodes and I'm only getting just over 100 downloads per episode. It's soul crushing sometimes. How do I promote my show better?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

clockworkjoe posted:

I've been using https://zencastr.com/ lately. VOIP in browser. It looks like it records everyone locally and uploads their tracks separately. There have been some glitches and it's not 100% perfect, but it works well enough and if you want a guest to come in, all you have to do is provide them a link.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I finally did it you guys. Episode the first:

https://soundcloud.com/witnesstofitness/witness-to-fitness-e01-liz-montalbano

Zoom h4n, 2 lovely rear end stagg mic's, audacity for post. Not super hot with editing in post yet, and while it sounds decent on my headphones people have already complained that it's super loud with quiet audio. Also I should probably do an outro but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

The easiest way to fix the uneven volume is what my friends and I refer to as the ABCs of podcasting: Always Be Compressin!

Human speech doesn't need a lot of dynamic range so some light compression (I use a 4:1 ratio on my podcasts speech tracks) will work magic on this.