Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

i vomit kittens posted:

Trying to help a non-goon friend of mine out with his resume. I'm in professional school so for the last few years I've only been doing CVs. I've always been taught to make my CV boring; just plain black and white with maybe a different font for my name to make that stand out. My friend has apparently not been having much luck with his plain looking resume and has been trying to give it some level of design. Is this normal when looking for a tech job, or is it likely other issues with his resume that were making it a pass? A pic of it is below. I've been trying to help him out with the content itself (for example, how pretty much everything in the "Projects" section could actually just be moved to bullet points under his job dedscriptions), but I'm lost on the design aspect.

fourwood posted:

Holy white space Batman

In addition to the whitespace comment, I hope that you cropped that image on the sides, because otherwise the margins are all hosed...

I also agree with these comments

Queen Victorian posted:

Here are some things I noticed about it:
- Very sparse on content. With fewer items in experience, he could afford to flesh out the descriptions a bit more.
- Contact info is way at the bottom and not very visible. He wants the companies to call him, right?
- Huge logos for the skills. Too cutesy/doofy and a waste of space. Also, initial screens are commonly handled by nontechnical people, so those logos will probably be mostly meaningless to the folks giving the resume the first pass.
- Projects just sound like job description bullet points and don’t have dates or context. Usually a projects section is used for academic projects or theses, not on-the-job accomplishments (which is what these sound like).

especially the contact info. For comparison, I use the most boring LaTeX template to ever template, which places my contact info on top, like this:

--------

OTOH I don't mind this at all:

- Exact start and end dates on the jobs and even education. This is kinda anal retentive and I’ve literally never seen it before. Weirds me out ever so slightly.

--------

My own notes would be

• Lead vs led.
  • Other typos (responses are returing?)
  • In their CV, everyone is motivated and has passion for solving difficult problems.
  • Generally it feels like the actual content would fit into 1/4 of the page comfortably, so they had to come up with bunch of padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Typo on the third job experience: "Systems Anayalyst" -> "Systems Analyst"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

i vomit kittens posted:

Trying to help a non-goon friend of mine out with his resume.

OK, so actually a hiring manager here. Some of the advice you're getting is good, some is bad.

Biggest thing:
-This resume describes to me job duties but doesn't talk enough about accomplishments, or at least in a coherent way. The Project section has some good stuff, but its kinda disconnected from the actual positions. Right off the bat I'd move skills to the sidebar and highlight projects in the experience section (as you mentioned). More accomplishments would probably help, but it'd depend on what it looks like when it stitched back together.

Other advice:

-Contact upfront is good advice. Bottom corner is not a great spot.

-Is there a github or anything to show off things he's worked on?

-This is a little over designed. I'd simplify it a bit. People who are posting about too much whitespace probably have resumes that are big blocks of text, and that's not good either. Don't be afraid of whitespace but taking this down a notch is probably not a bad idea.
Any interviewer will get a resume in PDF, but they may have to print it for the interview. Plus that top right section is just kinda distracting.

-About section I usually like something as to what they are looking for. His experience is in backend, is that where he wants to stay?

-Big fluffy icons are cute, but if you move skills to the sidebar it may work better if they are smaller. This is the kind of thing that HR would probably love but probably wont make a big difference for the actual interviewer.

-Exact start dates aren't a big deal. Usually you avoid them so the resume doesn't have more clutter, but that's not a big deal here. I usually just use Month, Year.

-Latest role is the most important and probably should be a bit more fleshed out. I can't tell if the I and II roles were at the same company (probably) but I care more about the last role than anything else.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 23, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

lifg posted:

I’ve always hated that question, and I’ve never asked it. What’s the point? What answer could someone give that would push an interviewer to “hire” or “pass”?

(Edit: the question “where do you see yourself in five years”)

I hire mostly junior/intermediate candidates so a variation of that question can be pretty useful. Usually it's something along the lines of "We have several paths our engineers can follow for career growth, you're not tied to anything but what do you see as potential fits?" The purpose is to understand what someone may be able to grow into. When I hire someone I am hoping I can give them reasons to stick around and grow, I don't really want to hire a widget maker to make x number of widgets and never do anything else. No one is happy with that.

You'd like to see people who have desires to grow in areas you can/want people to grow in, and fits their skills. But honesty here works, it's not a bad thing if someone has a desire to do something that will be a stretch/take time to develop. If someone really wants to be a pro-wrestler I've flat out told them our group will be limited for that. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker but I'd also like to weed out people who would be a better fit in another job. Talking about career growth can help find if the job is a good fit from both sides.

Some bad answers to that question are usually variations of "I don't know/care". One question rarely makes or breaks a candidate, but if I think they're kinda listless or unmotivated, having given no thought to career growth is not a good sign. There are other people who are just so new to the career that they may not just know, and that's not a big deal. So like everything, the answer depends on context.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

There are other people who are just so new to the career that they may not just know, and that's not a big deal. So like everything, the answer depends on context.

Yeah, an acceptable answer is something along the lines of "I see so many options, I can't decide right now! I'm really hoping this job will expose me to a lot of new things and help guide me down a path!" If you've only been in the industry for a year or two, that's a reasonable answer.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I think my qualms with that question is that I’ve never heard an impressive answer. It’s either generically boring, or disqualifying, and the latter I can get elsewhere.

I just prefer questions like, “tell me about the last thing you learned,” which gives me something to dig into.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I figured out what was bugging me about the precise dates on the resume: it’s the juxtaposition of the high level of detail in exact dates and the rest of the resume being far less detailed and generally sparse/bland.

If the entire resume relayed a super high level of attention to detail and much more fleshing out in all aspects, the exact dates wouldn’t stand out to me as being odd, but as the resume is now, it feels like an arbitrary extra detail that was added in hopes of making it more substantial while not actually adding anything of substance.

Also their presence has reminded me that I sure as gently caress don’t remember the exact start and end dates of my previous jobs (hell, I’m not even sure the months are right on my previous previous job).

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How important is a college start date? My first three credits were earned in 2005. I finish my degree in 3 weeks. In between the two dates I’ve gone off and on as time permitted. I considered just putting the completion date and not mentioning that it took me fifteen years to finish.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hekk posted:

How important is a college start date? My first three credits were earned in 2005. I finish my degree in 3 weeks. In between the two dates I’ve gone off and on as time permitted. I considered just putting the completion date and not mentioning that it took me fifteen years to finish.

I think that's probably fine. You can talk to it if asked, and you might get asked, so have something prepped to best explain.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got asked the "Where do you see yourself in five years?" question during the interview for my current job and I suppressed an eye-roll and said, "Oh, I dunno, maybe I'll be two years into house payments by then." and they all looked at each other and re-asked the question, qualifying that they meant professionally. I sighed and gave some rote answer and they ended up hiring me.

Within a few weeks of starting my job, I'd realized that nobody ever moves upward because everybody digs in until their pensions kick in. So what was the loving point of the question? Maybe if I'd sounded like a real go-getter they would have passed?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That's some senior-level cynicism there, you are hired :v:

For real though, I have no answer to this question either. I've long ago realized that anything more concrete than "managers vs IC" is foolish.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CPColin posted:

I got asked the "Where do you see yourself in five years?" question during the interview for my current job and I suppressed an eye-roll and said, "Oh, I dunno, maybe I'll be two years into house payments by then." and they all looked at each other and re-asked the question, qualifying that they meant professionally. I sighed and gave some rote answer and they ended up hiring me.

Within a few weeks of starting my job, I'd realized that nobody ever moves upward because everybody digs in until their pensions kick in. So what was the loving point of the question? Maybe if I'd sounded like a real go-getter they would have passed?

There was no point to the question when they asked it. Hearing the exact words "where do you see yourself in five years?" is a red flag, because it's the single most cliched interview question on the planet.

It's valuable for both the candidate and the hiring manager/committee to discuss career plans in an interview. But, if they actually want to have that discussion and not just act out the role of "job interviewer" in the world's least-funny improv sketch, they'll find a way to rephrase the question.

Hekk posted:

[Degree and major] - [Institution] - [Year completed] is completely standard.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Queen Victorian posted:

Now I’m wondering, what did it look like before?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Some of it's stuff I've already tried to point out to him (the first thing I noticed when he sent it to me was that his contact info was all the way in the corner), so hopefully having other perspectives saying the same stuff will help push him towards something better looking. His main reason for trying to switch things up seems to be that he's not satisfied with the places he's been offered interviews so far; of the 4 companies who did respond to his application I think 3 of them were banks and he's looking for somewhere more "fun" to work.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
How much do interviewing questions change once you hit a certain threshold? I'm coming up on 3 years in the fall (not sure if this still qualifies me for the newbie thread) and I had an interview earlier today that I felt just rocked me. It was a non stop barrage of questions and some of them felt really specific (what is HSTS and how does it work, git bisect, exact use cases for snapshot testing, etc.). I was able to answer about 90% of them reasonably confidently but I felt some massive impostor syndrome afterwards for really flunking some of the other questions. I figured as you got more experience they might ask more about large projects you've worked on and managing deliverables, architecture, how you've mentored others, scaling a solution, etc. But the interview almost felt like playing a trivia game at points. Not sure if it was just a bad interview experience or if this is more what to expect as you start to get more experience.

For reference, I'm in the midwest.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What I want to see on a resume

Black and white. No icons. Name, where you worked, for how long, what technologies, one or two major languages you used (mostly scanning to make sure it doesn't say PHP or javascript, because I'm an rear end in a top hat)

Tell me what kinds of projects you worked on and the impact they had on the company. Did you work in small or large teams, who did you report to, what problems/processes did you consolidate etc

Probably near the top what city you live in (or lie and say you want to live in), phone number, email and critically, your github, I want to see what you've been up to, or what school made you grind through and then expect to be able to talk through some of the stuff on your repo

Color foofy poo poo, bunch of icons, maybe if you're a front end person with a formal UI/UX background? If you're trying to get hired as a full stack/backend engineer a bunch of fancy design stuff is going to at a minimum raise an eyebrow

Maybe if you got a 3.8 or higher mention your alma mater and your degree was in CS otherwise I don't care

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

How much do interviewing questions change once you hit a certain threshold? I'm coming up on 3 years in the fall (not sure if this still qualifies me for the newbie thread) and I had an interview earlier today that I felt just rocked me. It was a non stop barrage of questions and some of them felt really specific (what is HSTS and how does it work, git bisect, exact use cases for snapshot testing, etc.). I was able to answer about 90% of them reasonably confidently but I felt some massive impostor syndrome afterwards for really flunking some of the other questions. I figured as you got more experience they might ask more about large projects you've worked on and managing deliverables, architecture, how you've mentored others, scaling a solution, etc. But the interview almost felt like playing a trivia game at points. Not sure if it was just a bad interview experience or if this is more what to expect as you start to get more experience.

That sounds like an awesome company to work for

HSTS is pretty specific as a strictly software developer, I would expect to see that in a devops role, but sometimes interviewers want to see how much you know, both breadth but also depth. All of those things sound like really good screening questions to make sure you're hiring someone who's actually done real software engineering before at another company, and they're not just faking. Or maybe they're looking for someone with way more experience than you.

As a calibration point, I've been in interviews before where I asked the (very junior) candidate what were the common code classes in HTTP (200, 400, 500), and generally what did they mean, or what was their favorite (418), and was later told that was too technical.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The Dark Wind posted:

It gets easier to get to the interview after the first job, but you'll get the trivia style interviews at places that don't actually want to hire people but need to say they're looking for people - this can be for a variety of reasons (e.g. company is trying to justify getting h1bs or cheap contractors, project is doomed but managers are blaming delays on lack of resources, devs are trying to get their friends hired but company requires searching for people.) You didn't want to work at these places anyway. This is one of the reasons why networking is generally more reliable than going off job postings, if a friend is trying to get you into a company the job actually exists.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

i vomit kittens posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Some of it's stuff I've already tried to point out to him (the first thing I noticed when he sent it to me was that his contact info was all the way in the corner), so hopefully having other perspectives saying the same stuff will help push him towards something better looking. His main reason for trying to switch things up seems to be that he's not satisfied with the places he's been offered interviews so far; of the 4 companies who did respond to his application I think 3 of them were banks and he's looking for somewhere more "fun" to work.

That version looks... just fine (in terms of document design - content critiques still stand).

Some superficial nitpicks and suggestions for visual improvement:
- Superfluous bullet points. There is an instance of there just being a single bullet point item when a normal paragraph would do, and the job descriptions have nested bullets for some reason.
- Not enough visual differentiation between job item/education heading and description text. This is where it’s helpful to use line breaks, bold/italic, and different font size.
- The text in the gray bars could use some padding so it looks less cramped
- Font other than Times New Roman (or close lookalike) might help a bit. There are a lot of superior fonts I could recommend, but an easy one would be Georgia because it looks somewhat better than Times New Roman and was designed to be read on a screen, and it’s a system font that comes with your computer.

But honestly? If it’s been getting him interviews then it’s working adequately. I think the significant improvement will be in the content department rather than trying to make it look cooler.

The Dark Wind posted:

My company (B2B startup) is looking for more experienced devs (ideally 3+ years experience) and our interviews are not interrogations by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve been on technical screening duty, which is the first stop after the initial phone screen. We just send over some material they’ve never seen before have them pick it apart and come up with ways to improve it while talking us through it. Works way better than a gauntlet of trivia questions at actually evaluating candidates and eliminating unqualified ones. If they pass this screen, we send along for a more in-depth interview where stuff like architecture, major past projects, etc. I don’t participate in these interviews but I gather that they are more conversations than a barrage of questions.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Hey all, I don't know if y'all have seen the stuff going down in GBS but I wanted to make sure everyone in CoC was aware we had a discord. It's a chill place, and feel free to PM me if this link expires.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Hadlock posted:

That sounds like an awesome company to work for

HSTS is pretty specific as a strictly software developer, I would expect to see that in a devops role, but sometimes interviewers want to see how much you know, both breadth but also depth. All of those things sound like really good screening questions to make sure you're hiring someone who's actually done real software engineering before at another company, and they're not just faking. Or maybe they're looking for someone with way more experience than you.

As a calibration point, I've been in interviews before where I asked the (very junior) candidate what were the common code classes in HTTP (200, 400, 500), and generally what did they mean, or what was their favorite (418), and was later told that was too technical.

Welp, they ended up moving me to the next round of interviews. I thought I had genuinely failed that interview, so this was a pleasant surprise :)

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I need a sanity check. I've been working the past years in the fine arts sector and I want to switch over to development. My only development experience so far has been projects in my free time and some minor freelance gigs.

I've generally been getting replies when the job I'm applying for has a visual component such as film production or 3D, but for other sectors I'm barely getting replies, if at all. I'm wondering how I can improve my resume and convince people I'm not a blabbering idiot with an IDE short of getting a degree.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I'm not an HR person or a hiring manager, so I say all this just as a person who has helped some coworkers write resumes. I'm in the US, so your mileage may vary.

Maybe this is not something people care about nowadays... but having your GitHub be your internet handle rather than your real name is perhaps a little strange? Like, if your email was "xXxkitty_sabre666xXx@yahoo.com" you'd probably consider getting another one. My GitHub and LinkedIn point to my real name, not MagneticNorth. Even if they are hip to internet parlance your internet handle contains a word of violence (frag), and could be misconstrued to contain other rude things about menstruation or homosexuality if read uncharitably or incorrectly. Like, if the name was "SierraMountainLover" it'd probably be fine to leave it.

Also, I just noticed you have your birthdate or birthplace on there. I believe the common wisdom is to never include anything that could potentially subject you to discrimination such as age or nationality. Not only for the obvious reasons but the advice I've read is that applications with that type of personally identifying info might not get considered for interviews because they want to avoid any potential accusations of discrimination down the line.

Otherwise, minor formatting poo poo: maybe put the education at the bottom since it's not specifically relevant to tech? The problem is the work experience is not terribly relevant either. Maybe this is one resume that might benefit from a summary or goals statement to talk about how you're trying to break into a new industry. Unfortunately, I have no earthly clue how to spin those up, and I think they are looked down upon generally.

Also, I've usually just seen graduation dates on education rather than full time ranges. For that matter, I don't know what General Secondary Education is, and if the hiring person doesn't either, maybe they look at that and think you took 6 years to get the equivalent of a Bachelor's? Putting just graduation dates conceals that.

Go here for the Resume Ultrathread which is where I stole most of my advice from anyway, probably. Just read the OP at least.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Also, I just noticed you have your birthdate or birthplace on there. I believe the common wisdom is to never include anything that could potentially subject you to discrimination such as age or nationality. Not only for the obvious reasons but the advice I've read is that applications with that type of personally identifying info might not get considered for interviews because they want to avoid any potential accusations of discrimination down the line.

Also leave personal interests off, it's irrelevant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Background: I hire entry-level developers and I kinda specialize in people making career jumps.

Are you applying in the US/Canada or another country? Birthdates and even family information is very common in Asian countries, not everywhere has US norms. If you are looking for work in the US or Canada, then yeah. Pull that off. I don't know about Belgium.

Personal interests are fine if you're not hurting for room, just make them succinct. In an interview I'd ask you a few questions about professional cycling to see how you talk about something your passionate about. In Europe in particular this is common, so I'd leave that.

Github name probably isn't too big of a deal, but it probably wouldn't kill you to switch to a more professional one.

On to advice:

Consider having two completely different resumes, one for fine arts and one for programming.

For Dev, I usually like education up top but that hurts you here. Put education on the bottom.
Your "Skills" and "Software" are taking up a bunch of room that have almost nothing to do with development. Get those paired down, and put your Python, Flask, etc over there (I feel like that would make it more obvious).

You have p5.js, but you haven't listed Javascript. Add that, it'll help with any HR keyword search. I'd also consider getting 1 or 2 more javascript (Maybe React or something?) projects which will open up a lot more avenues for you.

Honestly, you'd look like a great candidate for my team but it took me a minute to determine that, and I think people aren't spending enough time in your resume to get there. Build a developer-centric resume (some of the arts stuff is fine, but it's too central now) and I bet you'd get more bites.

And this is true of everywhere, it takes a lot of resumes before you find that entry level job. So keep plugging away, you'll get there.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Can I only change my job name if it's, like documented as a change of job?

Same company, I'm just actually doing development work full time. I asked my boss and he said it was fine 'jr software engineer' but I never had anything in writing. so can I change my resume?

also I moved to Chicago in feb. any advice on things I should do to establish myself as a tech person/looking for jobs? I'd normally do meetups but haven't done anything digitally. has most hiring been digital?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Same company, I'm just actually doing development work full time. I asked my boss and he said it was fine 'jr software engineer' but I never had anything in writing. so can I change my resume?

also I moved to Chicago in feb. any advice on things I should do to establish myself as a tech person/looking for jobs? I'd normally do meetups but haven't done anything digitally. has most hiring been digital?

The rule of thumb is, "If a new company called for employment verification what will they say?" If you say it's Jr Software Engineer and they say "Inventory Stocker" for example you're likely not to get the job you're after.

You can put whatever you want on your resume, question is will you get away with it?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

These titles are not defined or regulated AT ALL, at least in the 'States, unlike something like an Electrical Engineer - it's fine to put down something different. I set my job titles to match what I typically see on job postings. I like to use "Software Engineer;" "Software Developer" is also common. Including modifiers like Junior or Senior is also fine, though at some point in the hiring process someone will be deciding what level you're going to get hired at, and the titles and modifiers on your resume shouldn't have much bearing on the level at which you get hired at a new company.

All the hiring at my company has been over zoom (our offices remain closed, no real option to do otherwise), and I would be pretty surprised if most software-focused companies were not doing the vast majority of their interviewing over some kind of video conferencing at this point. I got my job through a friend's recommendation before the pandemic hit, so I don't have much up-to-date personal experience getting hired, but I'd suggest updating and polishing your linkedin profile first. Finding what the local "good" recruiters are would be another good thing to do, a chicagoon here or in the discord may be able to point you in the right direction.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I consulted some example resumes from the Belgian labour services. They included date of births and time ranges for education so I'll keep them in.

My mother-in-law, an HR director, recommended me to add personal interests and my full education. The former because she felt the resume was impersonal, and the latter to show that I had my secondary education in Belgium and I'm not a foreign applicant. I'm not a fan of it myself but I get her point.

Good calls on the other points. I've adjusted my GitHub profile name, rearranged the resume so my development experience is more prominent and reworded some descriptions to highlight the developer aspects of my role.

Lockback posted:

Honestly, you'd look like a great candidate for my team but it took me a minute to determine that, and I think people aren't spending enough time in your resume to get there. Build a developer-centric resume (some of the arts stuff is fine, but it's too central now) and I bet you'd get more bites.

And this is true of everywhere, it takes a lot of resumes before you find that entry level job. So keep plugging away, you'll get there.

Thanks for these words of encouragement. I've been getting rather discouraged the past months that I started to think that it wasn't a viable path.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Most of the advice you'll get here is for the American job market, so if you have access to someone who knows your own market, you should listen to what they say.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Because of COVID my job is now 100% remote. It's an easy gig, so I think I can handle a side hustle.

Does anyone know a good listing of part time remote development jobs?

What about full time?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Ither posted:

Because of COVID my job is now 100% remote. It's an easy gig, so I think I can handle a side hustle.

What about full time?

Have you attempted any research? It sounds like you think there's some magical website of part time job gold that has yet to be mined.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

huhu posted:

Have you attempted any research? It sounds like you think there's some magical website of part time job gold that has yet to be mined.

They did use the term "side hustle".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ither posted:

What about full time?

Are you under an agreement with your current employer that prevents you from doing this?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ither posted:

What about full time?

The two ways I know of to get part time work is 1) ask former employers if they have anything for you, and 2) get a simple freelance job and do well enough that they keep giving you more work.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

huhu posted:

Uber Codes? Coder Dash?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

huhu posted:

I have done research before. It would be great to do it again. There's something about proving things that brings more satisfaction that building another CRUD app.

ultrafilter posted:

Are you under an agreement with your current employer that prevents you from doing this?

I am barred from competing with them or poaching, but besides that I'm free.

lifg posted:

The two ways I know of to get part time work is 1) ask former employers if they have anything for you, and 2) get a simple freelance job and do well enough that they keep giving you more work.

Thanks.

I'm exploring freelance options now. Seems like Toptal and Gun.IO are the good ones. Does anyone know anymore?

Ither fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 10, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ither posted:

I have done research before. It would be great to do it again. There's something about proving things that brings more satisfaction that building another CRUD app.

I am barred from competing with them or poaching, but besides that I'm free.

Thanks.

I'm exploring freelance options now. Seems like Toptal and Gun.IO are the good ones. Does anyone know anymore?

I had looked for freelance in the past, and it all seemed to pay garbage rates. Previous employer does not tho.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
How do I know I'm no longer a Newbie and I'm now an Oldie? I'm a bootcamp grad that now has 2.5 years of experience at the same company. Earlier this year, I was thinking of maybe moving on to get a bigger paycheck but Covid-19 got in the way and I'm just glad to have a job at all. Amazon reached out to me last month and while I made it to the full virtual interview cycle, I unfortunately didn't pass their SE2 interview. Once things start to normalize again, I'm thinking of applying to a few (hundred) places and want to temper my expectations. Even with my impostor syndrome, I feel like I do a good job at my current position.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I just recently moved on from my last position (and made a huge jump in salary) and I’m around the same experience as you now. I just post wherever cause I’m def opinionated about some things haha. It’s still totally viable to start looking now, in my opinion and experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Yeah, I've been told that I'm missing out on that huge jump in salary and that is really the one of the only reasons I'm looking (pager duty being the other reason, I hate it). I've been lurking with both Newbies and Oldies and I can somewhat relate to both (I'm glad I'm not the only one). Amazon does a great job at making you feel stupid in interviews so I stopped looking around. I also sort of convinced myself nothing was going to be out there other than FAANG jobs. I'll have to check out what jobs are open near me.