Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What do people think of hackerrank? I like using the practice questions as well... practice for assessments, but is it worth the time to get their skill certifications? I can't imagine it would hurt, but would it help on a resume?

No. HackerRank, Leetcode, et al. are just for getting practice with whatever algorithm roulette technical questions you might get during an interview. If a company cares about one of their "certifications", that's a red flag to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Relevant for the last few days chat in here

https://onezero.medium.com/recent-grads-are-being-lured-into-indentured-servitude-by-a-coding-bootcamp-8a3b2b8e87e8

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

FDM Group is another one of these.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Lockback posted:

Negotiate both of them. What would it take for the 2nd offer to be better than the first?

This question really illuminated the gulf between the two opportunities. Having had my chat with the HR talent acquisition crowd for option A, the answer is something like 'triple the salary'. I'm too congenitally polite to waste their time building up my negotiating experience.

Some of my imposter syndrome is melting away - I've been out of the industry for a while and didn't have a lot of experience to begin with, and my resume is weak. But I got two offers on two interviews, each with substantial tech screening. My new position is going to go a long, long way in improving my ability to get to the interview stage whenever it's time to think about that again.

Thank you thread!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awesome news, my favorite posts are from people that are struggling to choose between two good offers.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What do people think of hackerrank? I like using the practice questions as well... practice for assessments, but is it worth the time to get their skill certifications? I can't imagine it would hurt, but would it help on a resume?

The certs are probably mostly worthless in and of themselves, but if it helps you to have a goal to work towards (it helps me a lot), nothing wrong with getting them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hacker rank etc are pretty good for sharpening rusty skills, and if you spend a weekend grinding away, there's a 60% chance at least one of the challenges matches up very closely with at least one whiteboard question your interviewer asks you. Even if not, you'll be practiced in solving menial challenges quickly etc. It's almost never a bad idea

I think the certs are just a desperate attempt to monetize the site somehow, don't worry about that

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 11, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah I was mostly happy because they were timed assessments and I struggle with those and was wondering if sticking them on my resume would also be helpful. Since they're not, practice it is!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you're looking for things to include so that your resume doesn't have an awkwardly large amount of empty space at the bottom then filling some space with your hackerrank score is probably better than leaving it off. It'd definitely be one of the first things I'd drop once you're past that stage though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Agreed, that stuff is fluff but it's pretty good fluff. Stuff like that, coursera courses, etc are pretty good to fill up space or juice some skills that aren't anywhere else, but should go to the chopping block as soon as something better goes along.

Make sure you can talk to them though. Having a hackerrank but then sounding like an idiot when someone asks you technical questions about that topic is a great way to tank an interview.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Because it takes me a long time to understand what webpages are and aren't, can someone provide a one sentence compare / contrast between hackerrank and, say, leetcode?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Newf posted:

Because it takes me a long time to understand what webpages are and aren't, can someone provide a one sentence compare / contrast between hackerrank and, say, leetcode?

"Basically the same thing."

For a bit more in depth I tend to find leetcode a bit better at "interview prep" type questions, Hackerrank a bit better at "learning a concept" type coding questions. There's also differences in the testing suites and such, but basically the same thing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Plorkyeran posted:

If you're looking for things to include so that your resume doesn't have an awkwardly large amount of empty space at the bottom then filling some space with your hackerrank score is probably better than leaving it off. It'd definitely be one of the first things I'd drop once you're past that stage though.

Well the rest of my resume is bootcamp poo poo and waiting tables, so its not like its not already 90% bullshit space filling.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Vilgefartz posted:

Thanks for the advice on my website earlier, i implemented most of the suggested changes and imo it is much improved.

https://www.jacksonblair-react-crud-demo.com/

e. Thanks whoever made a board with no title/description, i just stealth fixed that.

Chrome just threw an error from your webpage that I've never seen before, lol

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Happy Thread posted:

Chrome just threw an error from your webpage that I've never seen before, lol

Did you use something like "password123"? Chrome (and most password managers that have haveibeenpwned-type functionality) will fire an alert if you reuse a password that's been breached somewhere else, because credential reuse attacks are so common.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good to know, that's interesting. I think I used aaaaaaaaaa.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Space Gopher posted:

Did you use something like "password123"?

Hey, according to the videos they're always making me watch at work, this is phishing. :mad:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
In retrospect, machine learning may have been a bit lofty for someone who doesn't play around with it at all in my freetime. I do, however, use C# all the time, so I think I'm going to lean into that for now, apply to companies looking for C# programmers, and then use the next couple of years in my freetime to build a better machine learning or computer vision portfolio. Something I should have been doing the past few years, tbh. :sigh:

Anyway, I used the last week to make a Terraria mod so I have more things to slap onto my resume. Here's a new version:
https://www.overleaf.com/read/zwfcwppthncr

I added some stuff for the jobs. I tried my best. I don't have any kind of records from those times, just what I remember.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

and then use the next couple of years in my freetime to build a better machine learning or computer vision portfolio. Something I should have been doing the past few years, tbh. :sigh:

This most likely wont happen btw. So aim high from the start otherwise you will stay where you land on this first shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

In retrospect, machine learning may have been a bit lofty for someone who doesn't play around with it at all in my freetime. I do, however, use C# all the time, so I think I'm going to lean into that for now, apply to companies looking for C# programmers, and then use the next couple of years in my freetime to build a better machine learning or computer vision portfolio. Something I should have been doing the past few years, tbh. :sigh:

Anyway, I used the last week to make a Terraria mod so I have more things to slap onto my resume. Here's a new version:

I added some stuff for the jobs. I tried my best. I don't have any kind of records from those times, just what I remember.

You should have an "other experience" section to list your educational experience. Right now it looks like you haven't worked at all in 6 years and that's bad. You don't need to put details if you don't want to use a lot of space but listing out that you've been doing something is important.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey quick question, im thinking of getting my first tattoo, but I dont' want to screw myself over if I ever want to get a job with a "real" company in the software world. Are employers in these industries pretty lax about them?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I have 4 and counting :)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
raddddd thanks Grump

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of employers are pretty lax, but not all of them. I don't think it matters enough to not get a tattoo, but maybe don't start with something you can't cover up with ordinary clothing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be on my forearm, so a long sleeve would cover it, if that makes any difference

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

You should have an "other experience" section to list your educational experience. Right now it looks like you haven't worked at all in 6 years and that's bad. You don't need to put details if you don't want to use a lot of space but listing out that you've been doing something is important.

Half of that time is because of grad school.
I threw in an Other Work Section. However, now the resume is more than one page. Should I remove some of my bullet points for the jobs or is the length less of an issue?

Gildiss posted:

This most likely wont happen btw. So aim high from the start otherwise you will stay where you land on this first shot.

It's fine. There's nothing wrong with being a C# programmer, is there?
My focus was more on computer vision and robotics anyway, but everyone is looking for PhDs.
But I might go for a PhD later anyway. All my friends doing it seem pretty miserable, so it sounds like fun.
Edit: Also how is a couple years of C# development worse for my resume than 3 years of teaching English?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2021

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm coming up on 4 years at my first programming job, and I'm really ready to leave. I think based on time spent on the job, I should be applying for intermediate-level jobs but my current place doesn't really have job titles that reflect things like that. I feel like I'm at the border between newbie/intermediate, so any tips for how to format a resume with that in mind? I figure I should just list all the technologies I touched while working on projects here, but beyond that I'm stumped. I don't really have a github portfolio or anything like that anymore because I wasn't super interested in working off the job, so to speak.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

It would be on my forearm, so a long sleeve would cover it, if that makes any difference

If it's not on your face, you're fine. If it is, that's still probably fine.

I'd say there is a small number of places that might have issues if its super visible, but if it's easy to reasonably cover up (even if its not 100% invisible) I would be really surprised if even the most conservative places had issue.

Shadow0 posted:

Half of that time is because of grad school.
I threw in an Other Work Section. However, now the resume is more than one page. Should I remove some of my bullet points for the jobs or is the length less of an issue?

Remove:
Cleaned up complex patient record locking code and remove depreciated methods andmembers. (this is just being a programmer, it's not interesting)

Designed and implemented many enemy NPCs’ AI. (just put (and AI in the first bullet for this job)

For "Other work experience" combine in one line: Feb 2018-Feb 2020: English Teacher at Korean Company

Should all fit in 1 page. Those extra work experiences do really help.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm coming up on 4 years at my first programming job, and I'm really ready to leave. I think based on time spent on the job, I should be applying for intermediate-level jobs but my current place doesn't really have job titles that reflect things like that. I feel like I'm at the border between newbie/intermediate, so any tips for how to format a resume with that in mind? I figure I should just list all the technologies I touched while working on projects here, but beyond that I'm stumped. I don't really have a github portfolio or anything like that anymore because I wasn't super interested in working off the job, so to speak.

A portfolio would help but I'd agree you're probably past needing it. I'd say you're solidly intermediate with that experience. Focus on technology and achievements (did you lead a feature that is used by xxx thousand users? stuff like that). Try to tell a good story of taking on more responsibility if you don't have title promotions to go off of. If you have to fudge something, you're probably ok to do that (if you spent the last year as the only backend guy, break that role out as a quasi promotion)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Remove:
Cleaned up complex patient record locking code and remove depreciated methods andmembers. (this is just being a programmer, it's not interesting)

Designed and implemented many enemy NPCs’ AI. (just put (and AI in the first bullet for this job)

For "Other work experience" combine in one line: Feb 2018-Feb 2020: English Teacher at Korean Company

Should all fit in 1 page. Those extra work experiences do really help.

Ok, I removed those, and a couple more lines from the Android jobs, and now it's one page.
I'll go ahead and start using this then to apply to some places.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help! I really appreciate it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Hey quick question, im thinking of getting my first tattoo, but I dont' want to screw myself over if I ever want to get a job with a "real" company in the software world. Are employers in these industries pretty lax about them?

While it definitely varies from company to company, it's been my experience that everything my Fake (bartending, retail) jobs cared about, my real job(and my friends real jobs) doesn't.

Fake Job: "no drugs. No tattoos. No hair dye. No ear gauges. No drinking. No fighting. Only girls can wear make up. If you challenge us on what a girl is, you're fired"

Real job: "hey, dude you probably should wear a collared shirt. No big if you don't, but you should. Anyway, it's 2pm, down for shots in the break room???"

Pretty sure as long as I'm meeting my deadlines I can do whatever I want and look however I want and not only would nobody care, most people wouldn't even register something like tattoos as out of the ordinary.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

my manager has full sleeve tattoos on both arms and legs that can't be covered up and we work at a japanese company. i've known software architects at banks etc. that have ridiculously lovely band tattoos.

there are some software dev shops where a bunch of old people wear suits and ties - and the tattoos would be frowned upon. you probably don't want to work at those places anyway, and they're mercifully rare nowadays.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you all for the help with the tattoo stuff. I have one more question :D

I am about 30 credits away from graduating in accounting with my existing school, but I was hoping to transfer to a new school and focus instead on computer science. The admissions advisor I talked to is attempting to talk me into a Interdisciplinary Studies degree that way I can utilize most of my existing business credits still, but I feel like that degree is the equivalent of a Liberal Arts one...would going to a IS degree be a mistake for CS? I know a degree is not really "worth it" when it comes to CS, and I already work in the industry albeit not in a huge programming way (mostly wordpress etc), so this would just be me getting a degree to finish the fight I guess you would say and maybe be able to leverage it into a potential real programming job.

Thanks for the help!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A degree in computer science vs. a degree in something else doesn't matter that much for a lot of jobs, but having a degree vs. not having one matters more. I'd say go for whatever helps you to finish as quickly as possible.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what I was hoping :), because the IS would be the difference between finishing in a year and a half and essentially having to do everything over again lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I work at a big traditional Fortune 50 that apparently ~8 years ago expected everyone to wear suits to the office, now they just expect no shorts and to wear a shirt. Can't remember seeing somebody with sleeve tattoos but they'd probably be fine. Gauged ears and colored hair are hardly a rare sight. Our stock price has nearly tripled in the last few years, probably correlated with how cool we're allowed to be in the office now. :cool:

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 18, 2021

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

my manager has full sleeve tattoos on both arms and legs that can't be covered up and we work at a japanese company. i've known software architects at banks etc. that have ridiculously lovely band tattoos.

there are some software dev shops where a bunch of old people wear suits and ties - and the tattoos would be frowned upon. you probably don't want to work at those places anyway, and they're mercifully rare nowadays.

Worked at a place (Fortune 100) that where even 5 years ago tattoos might have hurt you. They still might if you want to get into the C-level, but for middle management or senior tech positions no one gives a poo poo about appearances anymore.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Last company had a dress code of, "No visible genitals" (Or maybe it was phrased as genitals shall always be covered, I can't remember.) But that was the entirety of it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Last company had a dress code of, "No visible genitals" (Or maybe it was phrased as genitals shall always be covered, I can't remember.) But that was the entirety of it.

Pretty sure you'd still have a hard time if you came dressed like Borat, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's what I was hoping :), because the IS would be the difference between finishing in a year and a half and essentially having to do everything over again lol

CS is worth more than IS when starting out but a couple years of experience is worth more that either, and gives you money instead of costing you money.

With an IS degree, it means your own github and demonstration of coding skills is that much more important.

The accounting stuff is nice domain knowledge though. Don't skim over that when looking at jobs. Financial companies really like when people who understand that poo poo come along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I think ultimately I just need to learn about algorithms in order to get knowledge in that. Thanks for the help. I asked Reddit also and they had like thirty different answers lol