Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

baquerd posted:

Web is 99% CRUD unless you're talking front end javascript manipulation, web design (as opposed to programming), or games.

What sort of web project are you thinking of?

Honestly, anything. As far as a I know ASP.net isn't used a lot, so I'm thinking I should expand into something else. If I was to do one on my own, I'd look up what's the most used and just make something personal with some "look at me!" pages and a list of my school projects so employers can tell that I've actually made something while in school. I really just need to learn right now, and build good habits.

If you meant working with someone else, anything that I could learn from and earn a modest living from would be good. Would you happen to know anyone needing some help with web stuff? I've got no problems with CRUD at all - glamorous or not, making poo poo work, knowing I made it work, and fixing it if need be is something I get a lot of satisfaction out of.

lmao zebong posted:

I would highly recommend that if you can afford it sticking it out and earning your CS degree is well worth it. You're not wrong in that you learn the intricacies of programming and software development doing actual programming work, but getting a degree is more than learning CS concepts in a dry environment. Getting your degree shows to future employers that you can finish things you started. It shows that you can complete things that may be hard or slightly boring, and that you don't give up when you start to lose interest. With your experience outside of school and a degree, you will be in a prime position once you finally graduate, and I'll bet you'll be happy with the decision.

That's what I used to relearn the concepts after I got stuck on a hashing problem that was asked during an interview. I should say that I never had to actually implement any hashing algorithms or anything super complex, but being aware of how the concept works and it's benefits came up frequently.

You're right - I just don't want to live at home anymore. I'm too far from school, the jobs I'd find, and the places I go hang out, and living in the black hole of a long commute and an area that sucks if I don't drive forever to leave it could easily make me get lazy and complacent as hell.

I reallllly want to keep busy and get in a better place now, not in 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Honestly, anything. As far as a I know ASP.net isn't used a lot, so I'm thinking I should expand into something else.
It's used plenty, just not in sexy popular projects or a lot of open source stuff. More enterprisey stuff.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

No Safe Word posted:

It's used plenty, just not in sexy popular projects or a lot of open source stuff. More enterprisey stuff.

Oh. Funny how what I did was enterprisey.

But if I were to, say, do some personal "LOOK AT ME I HAVE A PULSE!" web project, what would be better way to go? Throw dart at a board, or something different in a big way to round me off?

EDIT:

So I just looked online at available positions and wouldn't you know it, a staffing company is literally on the first floor of the building I'm at now. Just made friends with the guy who hires software types who happens to be all about databases - and one of my projects was basically a little DB maintenance utility.

Holy crap I love this type of work.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 6, 2013

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Work part time, finish your diploma. You are almost there, and there will be doors closed to you because you never finished your degree. I get that it sucks but stick it out.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just read that Apple will be conducting interviews at my school, does that mean they're doing actual 1-1 technical interviews or is it more like chat you up at the booth?

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I just read that Apple will be conducting interviews at my school, does that mean they're doing actual 1-1 technical interviews or is it more like chat you up at the booth?

They'll chat you up at the booth and if they like you, they'll schedule a 1-1 interview.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rothon posted:

They'll chat you up at the booth and if they like you, they'll schedule a 1-1 interview.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the quick response.

e: Apparently they're doing this on the last day of our job fair and the day after. Do companies ever do 1-1's a day after they meet you?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 7, 2013

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

e: Apparently they're doing this on the last day of our job fair and the day after. Do companies ever do 1-1's a day after they meet you?

Yes, if they meet you at a career fair booth and like you. Companies that do this use the time for a quick test or in-person interview to determine whether you're worth flying to wherever they're located.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Yeah, it's basically a substitute for a phone screen at the beginning of the process.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Zhentar posted:

Yeah, it's basically a substitute for a phone screen at the beginning of the process.

I had to do that and a phone screen for Microsoft.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

A lot of career fairs let companies book rooms the day after a career fair. So it's not just that it gets done on occasion, but it's a normal thing that the college's themselves book.

Again it's not the interview that's going to get you the offer, though. And it's very possible that it'll be a short interview. (not saying it can't be long, but don't think you failed if it ends up only being 10-15 minutes).

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Just got an email from LinkedIn saying my profile is in the top 10% most viewed profiles on the entire site for 2012... wat? Has anyone else received this?

I suppose this isn't really super notable since 50% of users probably set up an account and never put any profile info in there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pweller posted:

Just got an email from LinkedIn saying my profile is in the top 10% most viewed profiles on the entire site for 2012... wat? Has anyone else received this?

I suppose this isn't really super notable since 50% of users probably set up an account and never put any profile info in there.

My first thought would be phishing attack. It is definitely a legit email from them?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

It's a legit email,

https://keen.io/blog/42532210123/how-linkedin-just-made-10-million-people-feel-special

(It's actually 20 million people since she thought it was 5% not 10%)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I'm in a potentially extremely fortunate, lucrative position where I could grow as a programmer (or a shrewd negotiator!) with what I know. Without divulging too much about what's going on or where I'm doing it, both devs are not exactly here anymore, I am (until 5pm EST) the only guy they know who knows C# and anything about their product at all, and the only reason I'm going to be cut loose until summer is that they need to on board a new senior developer, who needs time to start learning the code base before they could support me.

Apparently my employer feels I'm too green (and this is probably true, this IS my first job developing, ever) to start digging into the code base myself, and want to have time for someone with the experience and the glandular fortitude to dig into this, so that this summer I can be supported by that senior dev. So, even if I literally just played videogames and grunted out my school projects for the next few months, I'll have full time work this summer, and part time as I finish school. Good!!!

My first comment with regards to taking a 4 month break was "The only way for me to really get into this is to spend time doing it, and now is probably as good as later." My boss agreed, but he's going to be flying around the world selling our stuff and others will be out doing the trade-show-thing. While he knows SQL and PHP, he doesn't know C#, and apparently can't spend the time to get up to speed on the language or the code base. He agreed, but a lot of it isn't up to him - I'm guess the owners (who do not know software at all or business as much as they think...) had something to do with this. This is all well and good.

What I want to know is how I should negotiate this summer. Both the senior dev before he left and my boss were both impressed with how fast I learned what I did and then how quickly I finished my projects upon learning what I did, and my boss didn't really seem to want me not to be around. I'm clearly held in some positive regard as a developer and liked personally, so I'll have some leverage to get a decent salary out of this - and benefits. But, since I am still in school, even if this is my junior year (senior next year, woo!) I don't know just what I should expect.

On the other hand, they're down to (right now) ME as the only person who knows poo poo about their software's source, and are in the process of getting someone with the experience and willingness to start learning it so that they can get to work on it and get me up to speed. It seems my options are the lazy way out and fall into it, be shrewd and get the most I can, and to run like hell since there seems to be a non zero chance this could blow up if it isn't handled very carefully by my boss, since they have nobody developing anything at all as of 5PM today, unless they give me contract work over the rest of the winter and spring, until they get a new guy.

So, I'm juggling "they're in a weak position," "I could be in a very good one," and "this could all go very pear shaped very easily." What's the good thing, the shrewd thing, and the right thing to do here? I don't know if I should feel lucky or apprehensive right now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The shrewd thing is to have other internship offers lined up that can give you massive leverage. How many do you have right now? How many are you currently pursuing?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

The shrewd thing is to have other internship offers lined up that can give you massive leverage. How many do you have right now? How many are you currently pursuing?

Another company in the same building, and a staffing company in the same building (I meet people easily at lunch here; I've even made friends with the guy running the restaurant downstairs and talked to his sister about a place she's opening up in the hipster part of town somehow or another) and a company that remembered me acing a programming test despite not having enough experience for them to hire at the time at my school's job fair in the fall last semester.

I think I'm in a pretty good place to get money worth my time. I've never had it this good in my life. poo poo, I'm by myself in the office with the lights off staring at traffic as I polish up some debugging and documentation staring out the window at people driving like idiots trying to merge onto the highway in a peaceful nerd-vana, posting on something awful about how to make more money.

It almost seems superfluous to bother with school at this point, except for that fact that I have free resume critiquing and networking baked into going to school, easy projects to keep me busy and get me that degree, and an on-campus bar with local beer for that matter.

This really is the best I've ever had it and I'm really glad I've gotten here.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Another company in the same building, and a staffing company in the same building (I meet people easily at lunch here; I've even made friends with the guy running the restaurant downstairs and talked to his sister about a place she's opening up in the hipster part of town somehow or another) and a company that remembered me acing a programming test despite not having enough experience for them to hire at the time at my school's job fair in the fall last semester.
Are these companies you have open offers from or ones you're pursuing offers from?

quote:

Welcome to CS. It's nice here.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

Are these companies you have open offers from or ones you're pursuing offers from?

Welcome to CS. It's nice here.

Pursuing. As soon as I get time this weekend I'll have my resume re-critiqued to reflect my new experience, skills (and confidence) and go from there. I'm on good terms with everyone I've spoken to so far, but no, they're not "hatched" yet so to speak.

Also, yes. Yes it is nice here.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I think I'm in a pretty good place to get money worth my time. I've never had it this good in my life. poo poo, I'm by myself in the office with the lights off staring at traffic as I polish up some debugging and documentation staring out the window at people driving like idiots trying to merge onto the highway in a peaceful nerd-vana, posting on something awful about how to make more money.

It almost seems superfluous to bother with school at this point, except for that fact that I have free resume critiquing and networking baked into going to school, easy projects to keep me busy and get me that degree, and an on-campus bar with local beer for that matter.

Is this somewhere you would want to work? Don't let it get to your head. Use it as a fallback while you try and find somewhere you can develop your coding skills and make bank longterm.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Honestly, yes; I get along well with everyone, it's a small business so my work directly impacts their bottom line, they can't really do anything wrong except start being and continue being very retarded to screw up what they have, and have trimmed their fat for some time. On top of it all, I'm their invested intern, and was a lot more of a catch than they were anticipating (according to them) so I have a comfortable place to grow.

That said, making them work for it and prove they meant what they said would be better for me in the long run than skating by the next few months. I want to work there, but not at my own expense.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

So I'm a sophomore studying CS. I have an in-person interview with Facebook tomorrow and I am terrified. The way I got said interview was that apparently my name got passed to the university recruiter somehow. There was no phone screen, no nothing, just an email telling me that I have an interview (well, two if I pass the first one, and after that I get flown to FB headquarters). I feel completely unprepared. I haven't even taken a data structures + algorithms class yet, and apparently if you fail one interview at Facebook, you can't apply there for another two years? I don't even know what I'm asking, I'm posting here and basically panicking on the internet, but yeah if anyone has any advice that'd be awesome. Thanks so much.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
So I've updated my resume and put it onto pastebin in plain text - anything missing from this for someone trying to get out into the entry level? Anything good? Anything I should tweak? My school's career person/job getter/generally awesome lady will be looking it over herself soon, but I'd like the input of people who are in this industry.

I want to make it clear I have a grasp of the basics and that I am a self starter - and I have the references to prove that much. I also want to make it clear I'm self aware enough to realize I know I'm green and a beginner, and so I would never say I was higher than a 3 or 4 on a "1-10" question about a language or a part of programming.

That said, I'm proficient enough for those "CRUD" jobs that just need to be done, and the only way to really get good at those edge/corner cases is to get out there, see them, and figure them out yourself with the tutelage of someone with experience. Speaking personally, I learned more during that internship that I had in the years of school I had before then.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Akarshi posted:

So I'm a sophomore studying CS. I have an in-person interview with Facebook tomorrow and I am terrified. The way I got said interview was that apparently my name got passed to the university recruiter somehow. There was no phone screen, no nothing, just an email telling me that I have an interview (well, two if I pass the first one, and after that I get flown to FB headquarters). I feel completely unprepared. I haven't even taken a data structures + algorithms class yet, and apparently if you fail one interview at Facebook, you can't apply there for another two years? I don't even know what I'm asking, I'm posting here and basically panicking on the internet, but yeah if anyone has any advice that'd be awesome. Thanks so much.

Isn't data structures / algorithms the very first class you have to take in CS?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

Nope. At my school, the Algorithms class can only be taken after taking two other prereqs. There is a class after that that goes over data structures, but not so much constructing algorithms. The algorithms class is usually taken in junior year at my school - in the meantime, we study computing systems, computer hardware design, and assembly.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

So I've updated my resume and put it onto pastebin in plain text - anything missing from this for someone trying to get out into the entry level? Anything good? Anything I should tweak? My school's career person/job getter/generally awesome lady will be looking it over herself soon, but I'd like the input of people who are in this industry.

I want to make it clear I have a grasp of the basics and that I am a self starter - and I have the references to prove that much. I also want to make it clear I'm self aware enough to realize I know I'm green and a beginner, and so I would never say I was higher than a 3 or 4 on a "1-10" question about a language or a part of programming.

That said, I'm proficient enough for those "CRUD" jobs that just need to be done, and the only way to really get good at those edge/corner cases is to get out there, see them, and figure them out yourself with the tutelage of someone with experience. Speaking personally, I learned more during that internship that I had in the years of school I had before then.

Lose the objective. Put skills at the top so someone can see at a glance what you know.

Be more specific in that section; you say you know some .NET. What versions of the .NET framework? You say ASP .NET. WebForms? MVC?

Throw some buzzwords in there, if applicable. Do you know how to unit test properly? Pop that in there.

Lose the "Office" stuff; it's pretty much assumed that a developer can use Office well enough for their day-to-day activities. Same goes for the "written and verbal communication" skills.

"Basic web proficiency" means nothing. Remove it or explain what that means -- HTML? JavaScript? jQuery?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Akarshi posted:

Nope. At my school, the Algorithms class can only be taken after taking two other prereqs. There is a class after that that goes over data structures, but not so much constructing algorithms. The algorithms class is usually taken in junior year at my school - in the meantime, we study computing systems, computer hardware design, and assembly.

What did your computer hardware design class cover? I suspect you mean computer architecture.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

My school is similar. There are three classes on programming, and some hardware classes, THEN you take Data Structures, and Algorithms ends up being a second-semester, senior-year class.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What did your computer hardware design class cover? I suspect you mean computer architecture.
Transistors, logic gates, ISAs, pipelining, latency, scheduling, stuff like that.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
That's what my school, and I think others, call computer architecture; when I took computer hardware design, it was a class on designing computer hardware, ie. we designed and built stopwatch controllers and UARTs and whatnot, and the follow-on class was designing and building simple CPUs.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

That's what my school, and I think others, call computer architecture; when I took computer hardware design, it was a class on designing computer hardware, ie. we designed and built stopwatch controllers and UARTs and whatnot, and the follow-on class was designing and building simple CPUs.

Ah, okay. I stand corrected. I'll be taking computer hardware design next semester then. Either way, I guess I can't really do much about the interview...right now I'm just reading up on data structures.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I need a little career advice.

I graduated last June with a Bachelors in Computer Science. I didn't do any internships and my GPA wasn't all that great, 2.9, but I was able to land a job in September as a QA Analyst. It's a contract to hire position so I've been there for five months. The contract is technically for six months but it can be extended. I've been told that I'm doing a good job and they keep giving me stuff to work, including a few high priority projects, but they haven't made me an offer yet. Since starting there they've hired four other contractors, lost a contractor, and they're about to lose two more analysts to development. I'm wondering if I should start looking for another job.

Any advice?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am not hired through the company directly right now, but through a recruiting agency and that I've been told most people get hired in around the 4 month mark.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 12, 2013

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Ithaqua posted:

Lose the objective. Put skills at the top so someone can see at a glance what you know.

Be more specific in that section; you say you know some .NET. What versions of the .NET framework? You say ASP .NET. WebForms? MVC?

Throw some buzzwords in there, if applicable. Do you know how to unit test properly? Pop that in there.

Lose the "Office" stuff; it's pretty much assumed that a developer can use Office well enough for their day-to-day activities. Same goes for the "written and verbal communication" skills.

"Basic web proficiency" means nothing. Remove it or explain what that means -- HTML? JavaScript? jQuery?

With .net it was ostensibly version 4, but I was't digging in deep enough where it really mattered except that LINQ existed, so, I guess 3+.

The office stuff was at the behest of the "career advisor." I guess I'll have one with that on it for her sake and another for mine.

The ASP.net was mostly just web forms; web stuff is literally just html and asp.net's server controls. I've never done JS/JQuery before; should I probably not say I have even basic proficiency? I taught myself enough to make very basic functionality, so I have at least some idea of what my head versus a hole in the ground is, but only just that. Maybe I should leave it off?

Thank you for the critique.

FAKE EDIT: re-arranged and removed the fluff as advised.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 12, 2013

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Akarshi posted:

Now that I think about it. I took algorithms later in college but I remember taking data structures first year.

I'm not sure If there's any advice anyone can give you that will help you with one days notice. I would say the best you can do is make sure you understand the space/time tradeoffs for using different data structures and make sure you can actually write fizz buzz or string reverse.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
My first two years were just the usual engineering hoops of physics/science classes/mathmathmath. I didn't get to take actual computing classes until I was a Junior, unless you count pseudocode and C as a "computer science" course.

Buh.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

I graduated last June with a Bachelors in Computer Science. I didn't do any internships and my GPA wasn't all that great, 2.9, but I was able to land a job in September as a QA Analyst. It's a contract to hire position so I've been there for five months. The contract is technically for six months but it can be extended. I've been told that I'm doing a good job and they keep giving me stuff to work, including a few high priority projects, but they haven't made me an offer yet. Since starting there they've hired four other contractors, lost a contractor, and they're about to lose two more analysts to development. I'm wondering if I should start looking for another job.

Any advice?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am not hired through the company directly right now, but through a recruiting agency and that I've been told most people get hired in around the 4 month mark.

I would have been looking for a job the whole time if you aren't happy and are not guaranteed to be hired full time. I especially would have been looking for a new job at month 4 when they didn't hire you. What do you want to do with your life I guess it the most important question.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

The ASP.net was mostly just web forms; web stuff is literally just html and asp.net's server controls. I've never done JS/JQuery before; should I probably not say I have even basic proficiency? I taught myself enough to make very basic functionality, so I have at least some idea of what my head versus a hole in the ground is, but only just that. Maybe I should leave it off?

Okay, that's fine. If you're not interviewing for web dev jobs, it won't come up. If you are, you're probably not going to get very far because JavaScript/AJAXy stuff is basically required, even at the entry level.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

gariig posted:

I would have been looking for a job the whole time if you aren't happy and are not guaranteed to be hired full time. I especially would have been looking for a new job at month 4 when they didn't hire you. What do you want to do with your life I guess it the most important question.

I don't mind my job. I like the people I'm working with and I like the overall environment but I guess I really just want something that's more stable.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

mariooncrack posted:

Any advice?

Might be worth asking 'hey guys, when are you going to hire me?"

A mistake a lot of people make is working hard quietly in the corner doing a good job and expecting that to magically translate into raises/promotions/getting hired - if you don't ask for a raise/job, it's never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I was supposed to be venturing into NYC last week for a second round interview at a place that I think is a very good fit for me but the storm caused them to cancel last minute and I haven't heard anything yet. This apprehension sucks. They said they'd contact me when they figured things out as far as rescheduling, but is there any reason to follow up? If so, when?