Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

how!! posted:

How would you do the reddit problem? What exactly makes my solution garbage? Are you saying it's garbage because it took me too long to write it? Its garbage because it doesn't work? its garbage because its different than what you would have done? it's garbage because it's extendable? its garbage because its not extendable in the right ways? I honestly want to know because I actually care about the code I write and I always want my code to be completely as best as it could possibly be. If you think you could so so much better, then lets see your solution...

He didn't say your code was garbage or that he didn't care about the code he writes. You are completely ignoring everyone's advice and probably aren't going to get a job at a company like Facebook if you keep up that attitude. In the workforce, you're expected to work quickly. Don't get mad at people for telling you how the real world is. You need to turn your ego down a bit and listen to to the people trying to help you get a job.

That or apply to grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

how!! posted:

So you're saying speed is all that matters? The advice is that I should not care about code being readable and elegant? A good programmer fixes everything in the quickest manner possible? If a problem can be fixed in 5 minutes, then spending 6 minutes is wasting time?

Way to take things out of context again, I didn't say anything about limiting your time or that "speed is all that matters." The point here is that you just have to learn how to write code faster and be more efficient with your time.

how!! posted:

I don't know, in my experience that line of thinking leads to really really complex code that becomes really unmaintainable really quickly. Its what I call "crap piled on top of crap, piled on top of crap, piled on top of crap"

And please enlighten us with all of this experience that you keep heralding over the thread. The experience that trumps every other poster's in this thread.

how!! posted:

not fun work == programmers procrastinate, get frustrated and make excuses for not getting the work done

I hope you realize how ironic this statement is. I bet you don't like working in teams too!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Most programmers learned to write code on their own time. We did it because we liked it, the BSc in Computing is just there to prove that you know how to program really. Most schools don't actually teach you much of any programming past the 100 levels honestly. I'm imagining a MSc will be much the same.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Look at all these non-Astronomer scrubs talking about Astronomy.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I have an on-campus screening interview for Microsoft next week, what should I be reading up on/practicing?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

greatZebu posted:

I think this is mostly but not entirely true. If you don't know your poo poo, it's too late to fix now. But it's worth reviewing a few common things so that they're fresh in your memory. The goal is not so much to learn new stuff. It's more to make sure you're comfortable with the kinds of things you'll need to do in an interview and make sure that all the most relevant stuff is fresh in your memory.

It's worth reviewing the asymptotic cost of common operations on lists, trees, hash tables, etc, and making sure you have a ballpark idea of how long various operations take on modern hardware (e.g. reading from cache, from main memory, from disk, across a network). It's also worth memorizing your powers of two if you don't already know them well and practicing some bit manipulation stuff if you're not confident about it already.

Most importantly, practice coding at a whiteboard. Take a few simple problems (write a simple sort, find an item in a binary search tree, remove an item from a linked list, etc), and write implementations on a whiteboard (or if you don't have one available, on paper). Take the time to go through it looking for bugs. Think about how to test it. Then type exactly what you wrote into a computer and test it for real.

Thanks, just what I was looking for!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Fun fact: SAP's recruitment brochure says that 88% of their employees are proud to work at SAP!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Can someone tell me what exactly happens at an "interview prep session?" Is this going to be a quiz or something?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

tk posted:

In what context? My guess would be that it's an interview with a recruiter where they go over general company/position/organization stuff and tell you what to expect from the technical interviews.

Remember that recruiters get input into whether or not you get hired, so it's not just the technical interviews that count.

Ah, okay. Well, I got an e-mail from the company saying that there was going to be an interview prep session for those invited to interview. They gave us an overview of what the three positions they were hiring for during an info session but they didn't give any specifics on what group/product these positions were for.

The release form didn't mention anything about what our interests are/what product we want to work on either, can I assume that this is how they'll be sorting us?

e: Is this normally how things go?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I just got invited to do an on-site interview. Apparently it'll be 3 to 5 1 hour interviews. I've never done anything like that before, what kind of things or questions should I expect??

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks for the response guys. This is for an internship SDET position so I'm not too sure if I should even talk about salary.

What should I say if they ask me about pay? I've never worked in the US before (I'm Canadian, I think we get paid worse) so I'm not too sure how much people get paid up here, if it helps this job would be in Washington State.

Also, what types of questions do HR people usually ask?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I got a phone screen request from Amazon a week ago but it was for a full time rather than an internship (that I applied for). The e-mail said I should ask about internships if I was interested in one so I asked about an internship. The recruiter replied telling me that they'd contact me in January 2013 to interview for a summer internship.

The thing is, I had heard that they were already interviewing for internships this month, did I miss the boat?

e: Agh, so many broken links on Amazon's internship site

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 14, 2012

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

You probably missed the boat for the next round of internships. Whoever they're interviewing right now is probably scheduled to start in January or something. But if they're anything like where I work, they hire interns to start in batches, and you missed this one, but they're inviting you to interview for the next one.

Totally normal.

Do you think it's kosher to inquire if they have any openings left for January?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I had a few open source projects listed on my CV and they're flying me out to Seattle soon too... Knock on wood.

e: They did say though that whenever they acquire a company, they have to strip out all the open source code. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 9, 2012

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Lenin Stimpy posted:

If you develop non-open source code at microsoft, you are forbidden from looking at open source code. If you develop open source code at microsoft, you are forbidden from looking at microsoft's source code. There are very few people at microsoft who have the ability to do both.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Do other companies do this?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

More companies should just outsource their work to Google search results.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

How would you make that only two lines? Move the if statement into the for's condition or something?

It also crashes if you give strcat_crappy_version an unitialised string. :ssh:

C++ code:
int strlen_crappy_version(char* src) { for (int i = 0; *src != '\0'; i++) { if(*(++src) == '\0'){return i+1;} } } return 0; }

void strcat_crappy_version(char* dest, char* src) { memcpy(dest+strlen_crappy_version(dest), src, strlen_crappy_version(src)+1); }
job please :colbert:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

To the guy who asked if "under review" was a good sign on Amazon's career site, I got an e-mail asking me to setup a phone interview for an internship. Although, this was from the same person who asked me to interview for a full time position.

Does anyone happen to know if Amazon internship interviews are all over the phone or if they involve going to Seattle as well?

Thanks

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Do a lot of companies drill you on definitions of comp sci terms? Had 90 minutes of phone interviews today with Amazon and most of it was like "what is inheritance?" and "what's the difference between a vector and an array list?" It went on mostly like that and they only gave me 2 coding questions near the very end.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

dingy dimples posted:

Well this is a new one.

One of my Amazon applications seems to have spontaneously transmogrified from software developer to research scientist, and the new minimum qualification is a PhD.

Although, at the rate the process is moving, I guess I've got 4-6 years to go get that doctorate.

In any case, prepare yourself for a 90 minute phone interview and study some old compsci vocab. They really seem to like Java over there too.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Any Apple goons have any ideas on what I can expect for an SDE internship interview?

I have a MBP but that's pretty much all I know about Apple software.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I just read that Apple will be conducting interviews at my school, does that mean they're doing actual 1-1 technical interviews or is it more like chat you up at the booth?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Rothon posted:

They'll chat you up at the booth and if they like you, they'll schedule a 1-1 interview.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the quick response.

e: Apparently they're doing this on the last day of our job fair and the day after. Do companies ever do 1-1's a day after they meet you?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 7, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So I got an e-mail from a different recruiter at Apple but it seems more like that this internship wants me to screen apps rather than write code. The first recruiter that contacted me was only looking for a FT but, after he called me, he said he'd pass my details on to some people.

What should I do? Would it be inappropriate to ask this latest recruiter if there were any other opportunities?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I wasn't getting any interviews at a company I was applying for earlier this month so I asked my friend, who used to work there, if he could forward my resume to someone. The thing is, I'm looking for an internship but the recruiter that I was referred to is looking for a FT. I don't want to screw my friend over for helping me out but 2 other groups (who I wasn't referred to) in the company suddenly e-mailed me about interviews for an internship. How do I deal with this?

Also for the internship, the first team wants to do a 30 minute phone interview but didn't specify it was technical. For the job my friend referred me to, they specified a 45 minute technical interview alongside Colabedit. Is the internship interview also a technical one?

Thanks for reading all that.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 19, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Not sure if this is common at other places, but when I give interviews the goal is to require prodding. When a RCG joins, they're not going to be independently trailblazing new domains, they're going to be owning a part of a larger whole. A person's ability to know when they're stuck, and to a larger extent their willingness to ask for help, is an important characteristic.

Microsoft did this. They always gave the vaguest requirements and if you didn't ask for clarifications, you probably weren't a good fit. They always emphasized the spec.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So I just did a phone interview and drew some blanks when they probed me on some definitions. I answered the algorithm question correctly though.

How screwed am I and what should I have done when I couldn't remember something?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

b0lt posted:

How nitpicky were the questions? Was it something like "how many bytes are in a 32 bit integer?", or useless trivia?

More like "how would you implement an unordered_set?" after I mentioned an unordered_set. Generally, if I mentioned some data structure I've used, he'd ask me how it worked under the hood. I gave partial answers but I'm not optimistic.

e: Oh wow, I should've taken the hint when he gave me a question about hashtables after that one.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 28, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

In general if you're stuck, acknowledge it. Ask the interviewer clarifying questions. They want you to succeed, if nothing else so they can quit interviewing people. Part of an old team's post-interview session was asking how the candidate dealt with tips e.g. if I give someone a massive hint and they completely ignore it and continue fumbling, it's a red flag.

I acknowledged it when I couldn't quite remember something but is it appropriate to ask for clarification or hints on a definition question? e.g. "Can you refresh my memory on that topic?"

And thanks for the replies.

e: Would it be for me or against me if I e-mailed the interviewer and said that I will review the thing I blanked out on before the next interview?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys.

I'm probably just reaching Woody Allen levels of over thinking things.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I got an e-mail from my recruiter in the middle of the night telling me that the internship I was supposed to be interviewing for has changed and that they no longer have any positions. He apologized profusely and said that he'd try to forward my resume around :smith:

I just checked on the website, a day later, and the job is no longer posted. Any ideas on what happened? Everything was going so well too.

Is the recruiter actually going to forward my resume to people or am I out of luck?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Amarkov posted:

On the topic of "weird recruiter emails". I was told last week that I had an on-site interview scheduled for the Friday after next, and I would be receiving official confirmation and flight details soon. On Monday I got an email from the recruiter saying that he received "new instructions regarding my interviews", and that he still hoped to fly me out at the same time.

I... don't know how to interpret this, what's going on :confused:

If this is Microsoft, my travel details were delayed by almost 2 months. Just be persistent but wait a day or two for replies.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

When I think "interviewer takes off points for not wearing suit", I also think "this place is going to expect me to work a lot more than forty hours a week." Is this mental association wrong?

I'm more worried about the companies where recruiters send you e-mails at 2:30 in the morning.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I did a cold call e-mail to a startup in my city that got a couple million in funding recently. I inquired about an internship and got a reply from them today asking me to come in to chat.

They didn't have any specific job postings on their site and are relatively small in terms of number of employees. They're not a fresh out of college startup though.

When should I ask them if this is going to be a paid internship? Only if they make an offer? I don't want to waste their time.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

How long does it generally take for a company to give you an offer? I interviewed somewhere a few days ago and they said something on the lines of "we'll have a desk waiting for you in <MONTH>" right after the interview, which was really surprising.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Does anyone here happen to know if unpaid internships are illegal in Canada? Specifically in BC.

I went through the efforts of interviewing at a local company here and they wanted to offer me an "unpaid internship." It felt pretty insulting.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Would he have accepted operator overloading?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Has anyone used Interviewstreet before? How hard is it to use and what are the questions usually like?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Sample 1 was too long for me to read because I have a headache, but 2 and 3 are super easy.

E: Why would you ask someone to code a primality test? It's all memorization and (in my opinion) not a great test of whether someone can code or not.

Yeah, I ended up finding the sample test and that was a really long description of Hanoi Towers :staredog:. It was nice having a choice of languages though.

The "interview" I had was about 2 questions on that website and was fairly painless. I hope I didn't get docked for hitting "compile and test" a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So a company essentially offered me a position via e-mail but never really said what I'd be paid. I inquired about it and they said that I should come to their office first and be evaluated by one of their team first.

I think they were assuming that I'd be an unpaid intern or something. How would you guys proceed?