Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Okay, suppose I want to live in NYC. Anyone want to take a stab at the hottest tools in that area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I'm a different poster, I haven't dropped out. I am going to graduate soon, though.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Tell them you're holding out on them because it is literally impossible for you to move there without $X in relocation up front, then offer to take $55k - $X to work for them if they give it to you, plus the $500.

Then move up there and look for another job ASAP. Maybe try to squeeze in some extra vacation or sick days to make finding a job easier.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

ullerrm posted:

seeing "implemented a B-tree" on a resume would be impressive for a relatively young developer.

Really? This was one of the basic assignments in the algorithms class at my state school, which I always figured was somewhat bad compared to other schools. Possible that I assumed wrong?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Yeah, my friends went through similar experiences and got job offers for $60k right out of school working on internal software at a large non-software company in an area with a low cost of living.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Are you useless with the language and framework until then, though?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

Isn't data structures / algorithms the very first class you have to take in CS?

My school is similar. There are three classes on programming, and some hardware classes, THEN you take Data Structures, and Algorithms ends up being a second-semester, senior-year class.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

pr0zac posted:

At Apple I worked with a guy who would routinely ask people who did that in-depth questions about the differences between C and C++ out of spite. He was kind of a dick.

If you don't know them both, then why would you list "C/C++" instead of just one of them? Wouldn't questions about their differences also be appropriate for resumes that list "C and C++" instead?

If I list "Java, C#, Javascript, and Python" on my resume, I wouldn't feel like someone's being a dick when they ask me how I'd implement private class members in each one.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Say I got an internship automating tests because that's what they needed. Should I worry about having that on my resume or is that more of a worry for "real" jobs?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Lurchington posted:

Especially if you're using selenium to test a fully JavaScript app like something using Ext. in that case there's really no good way to record tests, and you're pretty quickly going to end up writing the full load of utility methods and abstraction layers to write maintainable/readable test suites.

Actually, that's pretty much what I did, even using Selenium. Minus Ext.

Glad to hear this should look good.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
How much should I know about relational databases for most jobs? The course I took on them was awful and I used that as an excuse to not learn about them. I figured a lack of knowledge that disqualified me from jobs where most of my day would be spent working with SQL would be a good thing.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Is there a good, well-known databases book?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I seem to remember that years ago, in this thread, the advice was mixed but tended toward "don't worry about it, but if you're not sure then go ahead and call first."

Now it seems to be, almost unanimously, "worry about it! If you're not convinced then at least call first."

Am I mistaken? If not, any reason for the shift in attitude? It's also kind of weird that how!! is the only one with what I remember being the older attitude.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 8, 2013

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Ithaqua posted:

you're going to look like someone who's serious about wanting a job.

I don't want a job, I want money. :shepface:

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

how!! posted:

Why is that person "serious about wanting a job"? Because no one else will hire them because of their inferior skills? So instead of getting better at programming, their approach is to have a firm handshake and expensive brooks brothers suit. Then people like you get impressed and hire them. Seriously, if you're letting anything other than programming skills impress you during the interview process, then your company is probably full of incompetent morons.

Actually, there are tons of things that have an effect on your decision-making, even when you think they don't. Appearance is one of those.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
When I think "interviewer takes off points for not wearing suit", I also think "this place is going to expect me to work a lot more than forty hours a week." Is this mental association wrong?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Florida: Where $50k/yr is okay for someone with previous experience. :stonk:

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Isn't $65k kind of insultingly low for NYC for someone with a degree and years of experience? I mean, the average starting salary for CS majors fresh out of school is always said to be right around $60k. I'd expect more than that with experience, and then more than that for an area with a higher cost of living.

Would my expectations be wrong?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Yeah I think they will be happiest if you reject the offer and keep looking rather than tell them what it would take for you to accept it. Interviewing more potential hires is fun.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
You should take the advice of people who are where you want to be.

I never payed attention to howw!!'s advice, because I did not realize that he was where I wanted to be. I just need to take all of his advice and act on it.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Which makes all the talk of how well he's being compensated completely negligible, really. I'd rather make $50k and go into work everyday eager to learn something I'm passionate about than $100k while sitting around doing nothing. I've been in the situation how!! is in with zero room to grow and it sucked even though I was making far more than any of my peers.

Use your free time and the extra money to do cool poo poo on your own?

I don't see how how!!'s situation isn't ideal if you actually want to do things.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
So, job hunting from out of state: look at postings online, fire off my resume to everything relevant that doesn't specify that they're looking only for local candidates?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Can't help but read their name as "VaporWare".

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
At $15/hr on contract, it sounds like they can't afford talent, either. So if they can't afford talent, and they can't afford "mediocracy" (read: "average people"?), does that mean they can only afford morons?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

HipsLikeCinderella posted:

I applied for a software engineering position and after 3 off-site and 1 on-site interviews the company tells me they think I would be a better fit as a systems test engineer. Honestly, I have no idea why they think that. I did screw up some linked list questions after 12+ hours of travel and no sleep, so maybe they think I'm a poor coder but still want me as an employee? Regardless, they set up another technical interview tomorrow for the systems test role. Can anyone tell me what I should be brushing up on other than white/black-box testing and software development life cycle? The only real experience I have with real testing is JUnit coverage tests.

It sounds like, yes, they think you suck at programming.

E: I base this on someone at some point in this thread saying that those who can't cut it as developers at his company being directed to testing, and on one of my professors telling me that standards are usually lower for testers than developers, so that if I want to get a job at a big company like Google but feel like I might not make it through the interviews for a developer position, I could probably improve my chances by applying for a tester position.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
What are the hours like? I thought I heard somewhere that it's all 80 hours / week, all the time.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Welp, guess I'm going to apply to Microsoft.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

hieronymus posted:

So I ran across a site about programming bootcamps: http://www.bootcamps.in/ - they take you in, teach you ruby/whatever, and help find a job.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with bootcamps, because this seems like a relatively new trend. I think if programs like these had existed when I graduated, I would have jumped at them in a heartbeat. I already have a job so it doesn't seem like they'd benefit me personally (except maybe if I wanted to break into RoR development), but I wouldn't want to recommend them without knowing people who have attended and their outcomes - anyone take the plunge?

Just looked at this one: http://www.bootcamps.in/san-francisco/hack-reactor/

I'm fresh out of school and I think I'd rather just live on the $17,780 they charge and spend 66 hours/week for three months on my own side project. Or use my poo poo skills to get a poo poo job that pays $50k/year, and still get experience. That poo poo had better guarantee me a job at Google if I'm going choose it over side projects and making sure I can code a B-tree in my sleep.

I guess it could make sense for me to do it if I really had no idea how to go about improving my skills. But I think I know enough that all I need is an Internet connection and effort.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Ah, yeah, that's much better. Still, if you could just spend several weeks on your own and still get a job, then I'd wonder whether it was worth it.

I wonder if senior people looking to switch from a job using one technology to jobs using another might find these more useful. At that point, you've already got the development experience and just need to know the tools, though the price of the program would be higher, if its a percentage of your salary after placement.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Do you have enough time to apply for jobs elsewhere and see how much you get offered?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep. Working in academia where I'm at, we can't pay people >$100K right out of school like Google or Twitter. So we end up generally hiring junior people based on these sorts of criteria and work to develop their skills while they're working with us. And once or twice we've bent the rules on not sounding like a grognard.

Do you find that these people often move on after a year or two?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
If you're already considering lying, you could just build up a not-so-nice Github portfolio, where you get some shallow experience with whatever tools you were going to lie about. That way you won't be lying, and it'll probably make it harder to detect your bullshit, too.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Honest Thief posted:

Getting stuff done on the side has been wack, this whole corporate culture of doing your job and staying at the workplace after-hours because staying late shows commitment is wack.

Why are you staying late to show commitment to a job you don't want anyway?

Can you stop staying late and go home to learn stuff on the side?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Honest Thief posted:

yeah I'm slowly realizing it, dunno where I stand yet but I guess I'll find out

It's more of a standard practice, people actually seem to take offense if you do your regular 9am to 19pm work hours, so you get peer pressure into doing so and I didn't want to leave in bad terms but I'm unmotivated to the point where I just don't care.

Jesus christ, 9am - 19pm is considered regular at Accenture?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Well, how good can the compensation be?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
That reminds me, I'm going to be looking for a job soon. When I got my internship, an IP assignment contract was included with the rest of the hiring forms for me to fill out, basically saying that I agree to give up the ownership of all intellectual property that I create.

I posted about it here and people said they just don't sign those and never have any trouble. Can I expect that to be the case as a fresh graduate? And do I just scratch out that part before signing it, turn in the forms minus that page, or what? And do I just not say anything about it unless it's discovered or do I tell whoever sends me the offer letter that I won't be signing that?

Seems like it would be impossible to learn on your own time in any meaningful capacity if you sign one of these.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Yeah, I mistakenly assumed he wasn't having lunch. During my internship, I never really had lunch. I just took a few minutes to have an apple or three at my desk, while working, about halfway through the day. I just imagined going ten hours like that instead of eight.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

facepalmolive posted:

So I'll be flying overseas tomorrow and I'll be bored on the plane. Any interest in a (huge, wall-of-text) guide on how to prepare for whiteboard/phone coding interviews?

I would definitely read this.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

facepalmolive posted:

What questions they ask and how well you're expected to do is also extremely tied to your experience -- for example, they won't ask system-level design questions if you're fresh out of college, and they will go easier on you and let you write pseudocode if you hadn't coded in years (say, if you're a security person and spent the last couple years breaking into things rather than working on software projects). In other words -- don't pad your resume!

Can you expand on this? If I'm a fresh grad with internship experience in test automation, am I going to be asked about that? If I "pad" my resume with descriptions of a couple of 10k-ish LoC projects I've been working on and a link to my github, am I going to be asked about those? Thanks for posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Yeah, I've heard that's true in general, but I was wondering about it since I got the impression from here that interviews at Google are basically all about how much you remember from your data structures and algorithms classes.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 11, 2013