Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What the hell? Why would a company not hire unemployed people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
They are probably confusing it with binary search.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I was taught to take the last, middle and first items and then use the median of those as a pivot, but it's possible to stack your list against that, if you try really really hard.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My university (Waterloo) has a Software Engineering program, which is sort of a halfway between CS and Computer Engineering. It's still accredited by the PEO, so they get the rings and become P. Enges, but there's nothing stopping you from programming without any such credentials.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Company B looks better in my opinion, since you won't have to deal with terrible legacy code and will be able to learn a lot from the seniors.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cisco Certified Train Associate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I got an email a few days ago from a company I gave my resume to. The HR contact said that a hiring manager is interested in interviewing me for a position I mentioned I'm interested in. I replied with my availability, but haven't heard back from them since. What's the etiquette in this case? Should I email them, or should I wait?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ranma posted:

Yeah, we have a grand total of 3 applicants for our full time positions, and we start around $65,000, great health plan, and bonuses (mine was $10,000 my first year). 18,000 starting is just terrible.

I made $12,000 per a 4-month co-op term in my first year of my undergrad. $18,000 per year for a grad is awful.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Check around the see if companies have anything posted, and then check again in February/March. Chances are some of the ones posted in the fall will be taken by the time winter comes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Calcaneus posted:

So lets say I have a cumulative GPA in the 2.9-3.1 range, it would make sense for me to also put down my major GPA if it is higher right? I've heard some people say just put down your major GPA, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Depends on how closely people are reading your resume. If it's some HR peon with the thought process of "The letters GPA, followed by a large number? This goes in the "good" pile!" or equivalent software you can probably get away with it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Hopefully having "admin" in your title will help you find a better job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There is a large chance that the app fails horribly and you get nothing for your wasted year. This is why people avoid startups that pay in equity. This particular scenario is slightly better since your app isn't going to dilute in value, but don't count on cranking out Angry Birds level profitability here. I'd at least ask for some kind of base salary.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
When I was in high school, I did the AB level AP CS, and they had all the data structures I've seen in second year CS. I hear they restructured the AP program and got rid of the AB level though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You have a lot of comments. Their content seems fine to me, but you shouldn't have quite so many on fairly simple code.

The declaration of variables and then their initialization looks weird to me. I guess it doesn't look that way to seasoned C programmers, but it just seems more lines of code for no benefit.

Also, you're using "this" everywhere.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 9, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, prefacing variables with their type looks much weirder to me than using "this".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Everyone uses libraries. While writing something from scratch shows you know how it works, you should first demonstrate that you can read documentation and use other people's code.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I did a Game of Life clone with output graphics in an hour one day because I was bored, and that was in my freshman year as a learning experiment in C. I'm sure you could do it in an hour. However, I would also like to know how to handle a problem you don't have time to do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Most of the time when you need code fast it doesn't have to be maintainable. When the production environment shits the bed and you're losing millions of dollars per hour, management probably wants you to tape it back together now and design a proper solution later.

And 5 minutes vs 6 minutes isn't the issue here, you were talking about writing an hour-long problem in a week. Have you ever done programming contests? Try something like USACO to learn to code on a timer and not care very much about code quality.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That kind of makes me wonder, all the courses that aren't deep theory keep drilling into us that there are always constraints, there are always tradeoffs, and you can never ever have your one perfect data structure or algorithm in the real world. Not one of your classes taught you to make decisions about tradeoffs?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Sometimes life forces you to hex edit a binary or rewrite existing functionality. I once had to compress 4 month of someone else's work into a day and a half. Sometimes you need to code fast. Sometimes you need to code well. If you do both, you can sure as hell earn more than $15 per hour.

Also, I don't know what kind of projects you've worked on where programmers give up if they're faced with hard code. I can almost guarantee you that someday in your career you will be faced with lovely undocumented, uncommented, legacy code. Knowing how to understand hard code is essential.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The only way I would ever write that is if "life critical" meant "you have 15 minutes to fix this or we're all going to die".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen contract clauses that state that anything you invented that you use in company software becomes company property. That should cover the library thing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

God drat it. Got a call the other day saying this awesome job I'm super excited to be interviewing for might not exist anymore. Finished interview 2 and said they'd pass me on to the next step then a few days later I got a call saying it could be a week+ til I hear from them while they do some sort of review. Is that them secretly saying piss off, or am I just being an insecure ninny and they're legitimately doing some internal working

Don't abandon hope, if they hated you they wouldn't call you at all. Maybe the guy that was supposed to do the interview got sick or something.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm a dual citizen with two foreign passports, plus the country I was born in no longer exists.

I had a pretty promising interview, with a defence contractor, too :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pweller posted:

Those details don't mean you're automatically excluded, it very likely depends heavily on which countries.

USSR/Russia :)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Giving up a Russian citizenship is a colossal pain in the rear end, so sadly that's not an option.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Perhaps. I'll look into it the next time a defense contractor is interested in me, meanwhile I have a pretty decent job already.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Another dumb question, but what exactly is classified as a 'unit test'? In my education we of course discuss how to debug an application, but never really testing it. We were encouraged to enter unexpected data where we could to try and break it, but that's it really.

It makes me feel dumb as hell when I see job postings with stuff like 'Write unit tests' or 'automated unit tests' and I have no idea how I'd do that.

Unit test test very specific parts of your program, effectively inputting data, and then checking if output matches what you calculated manually. Also things like submitting malformed input to ensure that an exception is thrown.

The tests aren't so much testing anything difficult as making sure you didn't make an obvious mistake while writing code, or didn't break anything that worked before (called a regression). Really hardcore folks do test driven development, which involves writing the unit tests first and only then writing code to fit those tests. This has the added effect of making you think about exactly how your program will work before you write it.

A very useful metric of unit tests is code coverage. Your tests obviously can't go through every possible combination of inputs, so the next best thing is to ensure that each line of code runs at least once. There are tools to do this for you as a part of running unit tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

Dude I am totally down to download this PDF from iaroslavski.narod.ru (which redirects to http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml)

Yandex is like the Russian Google, and narod is like...geocities but better, I guess. Anyway, the link isn't that shady.