Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A lot of jobs request you submit sample code from projects you've worked on.

Say you're submitting an application you've developed for personal use and had to intention to publish. It's likely not coded, because you wrote it and understand your conventions / logic.

Should you submit the code just like that, or should you go back and comment it for the new reader? On one hand, I'd say no because it looks weird (in my opinion) to document your own stuff. On the other hand, in the real world you drat well should be commenting your code so maybe they want to see you do comment stuff.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Interesting insight. I do use "self-documenting" variable names as you suggested, in the sense that I don't just use i j and k for everything, but instead have meaningful names for everything.

Suppose it couldn't hurt to toss in some comments on stuff to explain their general purpose though. Now I just need ideas for what to write for sample work :eng99:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woo! I saw an internship posting on Indeed.com the other day, it's nearby and I was familiar with everything on it except AJAX. Shot 'em my resume and they responded today already by email. He just wanted to set up time for a phone call, so I presume a phone interview.

I've never done a phone interview before, though. Obviously every interview is different, but I was just hoping some goons might be able to offer some insight! I feel pretty confident right now, but I'm sure when my phone rings and it's a number I don't recognize my stomach will turn into a ball of knots.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, earlier this week I posted about having a phone interview for an internship. Just got that call. It went alright.

-Asked me how databases work (ie. A database is made of tables, is made of columns, which has rows of data in it, thought that was a strange question)
-Difference from an object and a class
-How much I knew about HTTP. I thought this was a pretty vague question and didn't know how to answer it with anything other than what it stands for.

They want me full time for three months- unpaid though. A friend of mine (lives in a different state) said it's not legal for companies to have you full time and unpaid as a student, unless it's for credit hours with the college. Either way, I'm gunna talk to my student advisor to see if I could work that out, and then my parents to see if they might be able to help me out for three months.

Scheduled a follow-up interview this coming Wednesday, they said it's a "small office, don't need to dress up" but I've heard people saying that that can be a trap. I figure I'll just wear some nice work pants / button up shirt. No tie or coat or anything too fancy. Meet 'em half way?

I'm really not sure how I feel about all this :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think the big reason why it's unnpaid is because it's a small startup company that hasn't actually rolled out its first product commercially. They're in the final stages of development, they say, and are looking to hire on a few more hands for when it goes live basically.

Whether that's a valid reason for it to be unpaid or not isn't for me to say, I guess. I too was hoping for at least $15/hr :(

And in general, internships / entry-level positions seem rather scarce in here Rhode Island.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I applied for an internship today, just got an email back at 10:30 PM asking if I'd be down for a phone interview tomorrow at 9:30 in the morning.

Talk about last minute notice! I said yes of course, but sheesh. Who even sends business emails on a Sunday?

quote:

Compensation: Stipend will be offered along with potential for equity to be obtained

After looking up the definition of stipend, it SOUNDS like it's paid and then possibly performance payment? Not sure why they wouldn't just say $X/hr. My roommate thinks it might mean like some sort of stock option, or something.

Wish me luck, goons! This bitch needs to be employed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

'Stipend' implies a non-hourly non-wage payment and indicates they may be trying to get around minimum wage laws by not calling it a salary

'Equity' refers to stock of some sort, the fact that they offer the "potential" for it is sketchy, and in general sets off alarm bells

All in all it sounds like an early stage startup with unscrupulous (and likely nontechnical) founders trying to get (technical) work (that they cannot do themselves) done for something close to free. I of course am speculating way in advance of the data, but the language used just reeks of sleaze imo

I'm a little weary of it, too :(
It also says they're looking primarily for interns / part time / students / temp workers and "Work from home highly encouraged".

Hell, rather than copy-pasting snippets;
http://providence.craigslist.org/sof/2626411050.html

The guy who emailed me back is Indian, and while the email was worded mostly fine you can tell it's not his first language- so maybe if he posted the job that's why its worded like it is? Doesn't necessarily mean it's NOT shady, but I dunno. Just trying to be optimistic I guess.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 3, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gariig posted:

It sounds like the sales or marketing department wrote it plus the requirements are pretty generic. I would say go for it and interview them to make sure everything is on the up and up. Worst case you get a job while looking for a different job.

Yea, I figure I'll go for it. I'm just I guess quite confused on this whole stipend thing. Would it just be a lump sum at the end of my internship? Cause I can't live without getting paid each week :P

The whole thing feels kind of weird though. Got that email at 10:30 asking for an interview at 9:30 the next day, to which I replied. Got a confirmation email at 7:45 AM today saying something like, "Great, you'll hear from us tonight".

Tonight? I look back at the email he sent last night. The phone interview is for 9:30PM. I either just read it as AM, or assumed it was a type-o. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter? I'll be here either way. That just struck me as an odd time for a phone interview. What are they chances I'm going to get a phone call from some guy out in India? They're 10.5 hours ahead of me- so those times would roughly translate to 8 AM / 6 PM for them, and my interview would be around 7 AM or so I believe.

e; What kind of questions should I be asking these people?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 3, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, I had that phone interview for the internship last night. Basically it's a start up company that doesn't even have a building. They're not big enough, promote work from home, yadda yadda yadda trying to save money. The two guys I spoke with basically work jobs 9-5 and are trying to start this company at the night time? Sounds kinda shady to me.

As such, they've got the attitude of "we don't care when you work, so long as you work"- they also asked how many hours per week I'd be looking to work, which I didn't like since it's a stipend instead of an actual wage. Overall they liked me and said I'd hear back from them this week, but I don't know if I should take it.

On one hand, if I'm telecomuting and can work whenever, I can maintain my current job and schooling. On the other hand, it could be a complete waste of my time and effort? Though I guess I'm mostly doing it for experience / resume fluff. Also have an interview tomorrow for a full time junior developer position, so...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hu Fa Ted posted:

That's retardedly low. Where I am, starting junior devs get around $60k if they can demonstrate basic compentency and aren't fuckwits.

Hang on, $60k/yr for an entry level position? drat- Rhode Island sucks! Most job postings I've seen are like, $35k

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have an interesting interview coming up some time next week. I actually never applied for a job with the company, but they received my resume from the IT Dept. chair at my school. It's a web development contract company, and they deal mostly with Wordpress and Magento (Which I've never heard of). Last quarter, I took an open source frameworks class which was awful- we spent the whole time jumping from 1 framework to another instead of actually learning how to use any of them.

I'm confident in my skills as a programmer, but Wordpress is pretty foreign to me. What are some things I should really know about it? I'm just so desperate for a real job right now, it's embarrassing. Plan on reading as much I can about it later after work today.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 26, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heh, I don't graduate for another year and I've been on the hunt like a madman.

What's the worst thing that will happen if you start now? There's a few possible outcomes

-You get an interview, they feel you're competent and offer you a job right now
-You get an interview, they don't like you and you're back at square one (and have interview experience!)
-You get an interview, they don't hire you for a full-time development position but offer you an internship or liked your personality and want you to come back when you graduate
-You don't get any interviews, and you're back at square one again

There is no harm in trying to look for a job now. Wasn't there just a discussion about this earlier about lining up summer internships and when to start? Read any of the past like, 15 posts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What sort of answers, generally speaking, should one give to the whole, "Where do you see yourself in X years" question?

I had an interview a few weeks ago, and the guy asked that, and asked if I'd like to see myself in a project management sort of position at some point in the future. I tend to be fairly frank with people, so I told him I had no interest in project management. I've taken classes focused on such a topic and much prefer to be sitting at the keyboard hacking away code instead.

I of course don't remember verbatim what I said, but more or less that was it. Never heard back from them. I felt the interview went well, though it was very very short- so I was confused where I went wrong.

I've got another interview tomorrow morning and I'm just thinking of what questions give me trouble, normally.

e; Also, I suppose it differs from employer to employer but this job would be a work from home kind of deal. How exactly does this work? Am I to sit at my home computer each day 8-5 and code, or is it more of a "get this work done whenever you can so long as it's done by this date"? An employer I've talked to in the past leaned more towards the latter, but I wasn't sure if that was the norm.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, the interview went well, I guess. It was kind of weird. It's a small company, just two guys-- technically it's actually two companies but they just work together and are working on merging their companies together but want to get a bigger pool of people first.

I'd be working from home, and just give a daily status update on projects while working, other than that do it whenever I can. I'd be paid an hourly rate (they asked if I had one, I said I don't but industry standard for entry jobs here is 40-50K so I said 20/hr), instead of salaried. Not sure how that works with working from home- we didn't discuss it too much (I didn't want to ask too many questions about it at first). They really didn't have a whole lot of questions for me, other than "This is what we're working on, this is what we do, do you think you're comfortable with it?"

Basically I'd just be tearing down a static website that uses PHP, make it into a template and duplicate it over into Wordpress. They gave me a copy of the files for the website (or at least the HTML) and want to see how comfortable I am / see what I can do by Friday.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've still got a year 'til I graduate but I cannot find any internships or entry-level positions in my area.

I did however just find a "Data Entry Admin" posting. $15/hr as a student is acceptable to me, considering the work I'd be doing. And there's probably chance to grow, I'd hope.

But what I'm curious is what's a Data Entry Admin? Like, the job posting just lists 40+ WPM (lol) and other than that, it's the typical entry-level bullshit like being team oriented and goal focused. Is it just a fancy title to make you feel better about being a typing monkey?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

shrughes posted:

Try looking not in your area.

As you can see the text you quoted, I don't graduate until next year. I can't afford, both financially and time-wise, to commute however far away for a job and go to school.

And as far as not necessarily being 100% menial typing, that would be ideal!

e; I don't mean for the first half of this post to sound as snarky as it did. But yea, I have no money to my name and can't afford to start commuting a significant distance to a job, and then I'd be late for all of my classes if it's too far away.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 28, 2011

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow, okay. Earlier this month I applied for an internship I was informed about through my school's career services department. Didn't hear back from them until this Monday, had the interview yesterday. Overall, I thought the interview went pretty well.

After leaving, stupid me I forgot my cell phone in my car and didn't bother going out to get it when I realized what I did when I was home. 5:45 rolls around and I go off to class, see I had a missed call from the company on my phone only 30 minutes after the interview. I thought it was strange, what could they have forgot to ask me?

Called them back this morning, and they offered me the position. Seemed like an incredibly fast decision, guess there must not have been any other candidates! It's a SQL position, which is my least favorite thing in the world of programming, but I'm still excited for it. Sadly it's only for the month of Decemmber, maybe will extend into early January if the project isn't completed (just migrating a database from Access -> SQL). I'm going over tomorrow to fill out tax forms, then I start some brief training / getting familiar on Monday.

This all seems really fast paced, are internships normally like this? This will be my first real-world experience.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

Salary.com can give you a decent starting point, but keep in mind that salary can vary a lot between different types and sizes of companies. If you work for a giant software company, your salary is going to probably be a lot higher than someone who works for a small insurance company, even if you're doing the exact same type of work at both.

[edit] I don't know if there's a Salary.com-equivalent for Canada, sorry.

Looking at that website, when I searched "Software Engineer" and "Quality Assurance Engineer" it said about $58k was the average for central Rhode Island. Looking for "Web Developer" it proposed a Java Developer position instead, which has an average of $81k? I have no idea, but that doesn't sound right to me at all.

I dunno what it is, but I feel like when I graduate this summer I won't be worth $60k to an employer :P

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My problem is simply that I can't even come up with ideas for stuff to put in my portfolio- let alone actually executing it.

There's all this stuff I've been taught but I can't even come up with practical implementations of it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

They haven't made an Unreal game worth playing in more then 10 years.

I think you're thinking of http://epicgames.com/ ?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ManlyWeevil posted:

I'm in my last semester of a CS degree and due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't been able to even so much as apply for any internships, let alone work for anyone. Now that I'm looking, it seems most/all internships want a "returning student". How difficult is it convince HR to give me a pass on that? Is there a legal reason for this or is it a preference thing?

Personally I've never seen that before on any internships I've looked at, but what's the harm in applying?

e; Welp, either I'm a masochist, retarded, or just too subservient. I just sent my resume out to about 20 recruiting agencies in the tri-state area. Partially looking for work, partially as a ploy to help my current employer (a hiring agency) find other recruiters to steal to work for us instead.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This has been my biggest problem with programming. Yea, I've learned all this stuff in school but I can't think of any practical way to apply it in my spare time to add to my portfolio.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not an American, but what the gently caress does "we're from the top-5 schools" have to do with anything?

Well, generally, the idea is someone from MIT or other big-name school is going to have a better skill set and understanding of a topic than someone who went to some community college no one outside of the local area has heard of.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

How much should I ask for for "entry-level" contract dev work? Building a web app in Rails for a local company. Interviewed yesterday, went great and they just want me to follow up with my hourly rate. I have a little over a year of professional experience in .NET and Rails. Small city btw with low cost of living, so adjust accordingly. I make $15/hr at my current job but obviously that's way too low.

I graduate soon and personally I'd be hard pressed to settle for anything under $20/hr. I too live in a fairly smaller city outside of Providence, RI.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

shrughes posted:

That's a ridiculous absurdly low rate. $20 * 2000 hours is $40k per year. For software development. You are completely undervaluing yourself. Move to Boston (or NYC or Chicago or California or anywhere but Rhode Island). And for contracting that's even more absurd than a $20/hr wage.

When I graduate I'm definitely open to going to Boston. I'm originally from Massachusetts, anyways, so it wouldn't be too bad. If I do end up staying in RI, 45-50k would be where I want to start but I'd go as low as 40 is all I was saying.

e; Any input on jobs that say "Send your cover letter / resume / salary requirements to <email>"? I've heard somewhere that can be a kind of "test" to see the candidates confidence levels? Make sure they don't think they're worth more / less than they really are.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 21, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno, the few jobs that HAVE salaries/ wages listed seem to be 40-45k? The most recent posting I saw for a web dev was $16-$22/hr BOE

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Welp, sent them a cover letter / resume and just said I'd prefer not to discuss financial matters without having actually spoken to anyone. Sent my resume out to three different web dev. positions counting that one, today. :pray:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just founds a job posting directed towards "Those who live and breathe in brackets and loops, those who sleep with the O'Reilly books tucked closely to them."

After more seriously describing requirements and responsibilities, it concluded
"I look forward to deleting most of your emails.
Cheers,
James"

Sounds like a boss place to work. Sent my resume in immediately.

e; vvv I took it much more jokingly. He responded a moment ago saying "Congratulations! I didn't delete yours!"

e2; and what the gently caress is why people describing job seekers as "ninja-like" coders? It sounds loving retarded.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 25, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd probably go with Google simply because I believe it'd look better than MS on the resume. But both are pretty solid either way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What exactly are the differences from W2, corp-to-corp, contract work and who knows what else there is out there? I was contacted by a staffing firm about position that "would be on a contract basis but indefinite in length." and I don't really know how contract work works.

I don't think I'd like it, because then you need to find another job in X time?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

See now, I have a github account but I don't really know much how to use it, I guess? I looked at their tutorial for getting started and got it to work for their sample project, but when I tried to pull others' down I don't think I did it right.

And even if I did, I dunno... what would I contribute? I guess I lack confidence in my abilities even though I'd say I'm ahead of most of my fellow students.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SimpleCoax posted:

I just finished my Ph.D. in Computational Science from a state university and I can't put myself through teaching another College Algebra or Micrsoft Office class. I want to see what there is in the private sector I can do. Preferably in a major city or outside of the US would be fine with me as well. This looks like the best thread for advice, so I would like to ask, what companies should I know about or what resources are best for finding a job in the high-performance computing industry? I'm most familiar with large-scale parallel (MPI) programming. I'm stoked on anything remotely related though (until it hopefully becomes my job).

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but I mean, there are plenty of resources at hand.
Monster, Dice, Indeed, hell even Craigslist has some job postings
Your school's Career Services Department should have work as well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alright, career fair at school next Thursday! I went out and blew my tax returns on 2 suits, 4 shirts, 4 ties, and 2 pairs of shoes.

Tips, pointers, recommendations? I've never been to a career fair before so I don't know what to expect from an engagement with a company. Is it just a quick, "hi nice to meet you here's my resume" thing or do you actually spend time with them, generally? I did a little bit of research on the companies that will be attending and I have a list of the ones I definitely want to see / talk to, and then I'll visit everyone else after that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man, even if I hadn't heard of the company I wouldn't say that. Coincidentally, that's also why I went and looked up every company on the list and made my own list of who I liked.

And both suits, you say? :v:
Black pants, grey vest, brown coat. I LIKE IT.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well that career fair was wildly disappointing :eng99:

Any of the companies looking for IT students was basically looking for help desk positions. I guess I gotta start somewhere, but is it really that unfeasible to start right out of the gate in a development position? Whether it's QA or not I don't really care- I just really don't want to do support desk.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, I'm actually still finishing my Bachelor's degree- I'm almost done, it just seems that on any job postings I've seen the only low-level work is help desk. There seem to be very few junior/entry level actual programming positions.

e; To clarify, it's not like I was anticipating finding the perfect job today... I was just surprised how all of the jobs were strictly generic "Help troubleshoot hardware / software and install software" positions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There have been very few dev. internships it seems like and I check Craigslist, Monster, Dice and Indeed almost daily. Also half of the time they're unpaid internships too. As an away-from-home student, that's really not possible for me to do.

I have tried to apply for some full-time jobs, I've had two interviews for full time jobs but neither of them panned out. The first one was a while ago and I completely brain farted the technical interview. The second one, I don't even know what went wrong. It was very short, he asked almost no questions.

e; vvvvWarwick, Rhode Island. 20 minutes away from Providence (with minimal traffic). When I graduate I'm definitely open to relocation. Financially, ideally, I'd love to find something in Central Massachusetts so I can live with my parents for a year and throw every penny of my paycheck at loans, but I doubt that'll happen.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 1, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's why they're illegal. Minimum wage laws apply to internships, unless they consist solely of training or education and in no way contribute to the employer's business. Answering phones is contributing. Making copies is contributing. Getting coffee is contributing. Anything more is really, really contributing.

When you see them listed, you should say you're interested, ask about compensation, get them to come out and say "No, it's unpaid," then brightly explain that you could report them to the Department of Labor for even saying that, but you're still really interested in the position, so what was that about compensation again?

Hm, that's really interesting. I just googled it and yea, they list the requirements here:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

I honestly don't think I'd want to intern at a company I'm "bullying" around into following the law and to pay me, though. And if they needed to be bullied into in the first place, that says something right there.

Certainly good to know, though. I'll see what the guy says next time I'm told it's unpaid :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, I responded to kind of a shady sounding job posting on Craigslist.

Had that "interview" toady. It was more like, he responded to me and n other people and had us come in to his office, show us what he wants done and ask us if it's something we can do.

It was highest level of a business guy trying to talk to IT guys and not knowing whats what I've ever heard of. Pretty unprofessional feeling.

Frankly, it sounded really lovely and I didn't like the guy.. but I'm still a student. I graduate in September. So if I could jump on this project for some quick experience and money do you guys think it's a good idea? I can't really see any sort of ramifications of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ancient lobster posted:

What's a reasonable amount of time to ask for in order to consider an offer?

As a student who hasn't been in that position, I would think a few days would be sufficient? Unless it's a job requiring you to move large distances.

And grats to guy above^. I had an internship interview Monday that I'll hear back from this Friday, pretty amped about that because there's a chance to go full time when I graduate if they like me, and I mean, why wouldn't they? :smug: