Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the words "science" and "engineering" have multiple meanings. This is pretty important!

The word "science" has more than one definition, only one of which is "the gathering of empirical observations and applying certain methods of reasoning to them" (my own wording). Indeed, a more general definition of this is simply systematic knowledge of any kind. Thus computer science could be defined as "the systematic study of computing". See also: political science, library science, etc.

The word "engineering", similarly, isn't solely restricted to describing the systematic building of physical objects based on the principles of physics. For example, what do you call a person who operates a train?

Superhaus posted:

I graduated with a CS degree 6 years ago and I have been doing user support ever since. I have not programmed a thing since college. Things are looking bleak at work, and I really want to get back into programming anyway, so I would really like to scrape the rust off, [...]

[...] I have heard good things about Java marketability, and I am interested in mobile app development, so those are a couple of places that I was thinking about starting. Am I better off getting a book to pick up the fundamentals? Are there good iTunes U courses out there that I can download and follow?

I'm in a similar position. I graduated in Dec. of '09 and have been working in an unrelated field since then. I started by thinking of a simple Android app I could develop (an hours/expense tracker for work), which is helping me brush up on my Java skills and (when finished) will give me something I can say "hey look, I shipped this thing". I'm not sure if this is the optimal thing to be doing, but hey, it's something.

As for whether to buy books, well, it's up to you. If you work better learning from books, buy some; if you work better just reading online API docs, do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU