Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010
This is a really great thread, thanks guys. A year ago I graduated from a (university) program which specialized in many aspects of web production, but mostly on front end production. Halfway through my program I realized I wanted to start doing a lot more backend coding so I started doing a lot of independent work with PHP, SQL and Javascript. My final year project supervisor liked what he saw and hired me on for a year to develop plugins and modules as an extension of his research for open-source CMSs.

Basically, I want to move into the private sector and find a job developing web applications. I know that having only PHP, SQL and Javascript on my resume wouldn't look the best, so what would you recommend I learn next? (I was thinking Java or Ruby on Rails) Is there any books you would recommend to learn about common algorithms and data structures? Any tips for marketing myself as I do not have a CS degree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The Java analog to RoR is J2EE, which is really bulky in typical Java fashion. I wouldn't recommend you do that if only because the cross section of companies willing to develop a J2EE based website tends to be bigger and stodgier than the company that'd be willing ot use RoR.

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit more research and have found a lot of jobs (at least in Canada) ask for Java / J2EE rather than RoR... Although RoR is less bulky for developing web apps, perhaps having a base in J2EE is a good (transferable?) skillset to have for an entry level position? Am I missing the mark with this idea?

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010

Kruzen posted:

A buddy of mine has a HEad First PHP book I'm going to pick up from him, should be a good way to get started.

Good luck on developing your skills. :) I just want to point out that I've read (or at least skimmed) a lot of books on PHP / other web languages and Head First by far came out as the worst. Their explanations seemed to be convoluted and the flow of their examples are bizarre and sometimes off the mark. Also the photography in the book is really irritating, and takes up a good amount of page real estate (not that this really matters, it's just annoying).

I really liked the Visual Quickpro Guides. They are well laid out and explanations of ideas seem to be concise. Perhaps I was in a bad mood when I was looking at Head First, but I hope this at least let's you know that there's plenty of great (better?) books on PHP.

kimbo305 posted:

:words:

Edit: thanks for all your advice!

Bag of Carpets fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 21, 2011

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010
I've heard many people talk about certain programming jobs as "soul-crushing" or that you need to "sell your soul" in order to do coding for some companies / organizations. Why do I hear this so frequently? Those who have experience, what would you say makes the difference between a job that you're passionate about versus one that you hate? "This is only OK but I'm making a 6-figure salary" is something that I've also heard - is anyone really enjoying what they're doing?

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010
I've begun to apply for various web application developer jobs, most using PHP for development. I've been freaking myself out a little bit reading things like Five Essential Phone Screen Questions and this thread for the concepts I should be learning. (Big-O, algorithms, data structures, design patterns etc.) I do not have a CS degree, but have developed a good amount of code myself, so if an interview has the basis of "Prove to me you can code something" I should be fine but I worry about CS conceptual knowledge.

Could someone whose currently working at a web shop tell me what their interview experience was like or maybe some things I really should brush up on? Thanks again, this thread is great.