Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iam
Aug 5, 2011
I'm soon to be applying for developer roles after finishing a one year MSc in CompSci, and whilst we covered sorts etc in algorithms, all this talk of algorithms is making me :psyduck:

I'd call myself quite a competent Java developer, but ask me to implement a sorting algorithm off the top of my head in an interview and I'll probably just break down there and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iam
Aug 5, 2011
My undergrad was in Computer Networks, so other than a worthles Java course that we did during that, the first CS theory I've been introduced to was in the algorithms module this year.

Dare I say it, 'bare-bones' algorithms don't really interest me, developing solutions/systems does, maybe that's bad :shrug:

For example, I'm comfortable with:
- OOP principles
- I was raised by Josh Bloch and a healthy regimen of Effective Java
- JUnit unit testing
- Efficient logging mechanisms using log4j etc
- Scheduling
- Concurrency
- JPA and other parts of J2EE
etc etc etc

And have a good number of projects under my belt, a couple commercial, a couple academic, and a good few 'hobby projects', that demonstrate the above - but as I say, quicksort, mergesort - in an interview :psyduck:

That's not to say I couldn't knock up a palindrome algorithm, a linked list, or a basic sorting mechanism for an int array - but talking about the merits in terms of O complexity of one algo from another...

Maybe it's time to pick up a book and brush up

iam fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 22, 2011

iam
Aug 5, 2011
Well when I say comfortable I mean I just make every class extend Thread and main just kicks everything off at once in an orgy of computation :smug:

iam
Aug 5, 2011
Cheers for the feedback - on that basis, what sort of job titles would I be looking at for the former? And am I ever likely to get a job in IBM/Google/MS/'interesting' big corporate doing the more high-level stuff as I described? :ohdear:

iam
Aug 5, 2011
I'd guess that was the distinction I was looking for - i.e. a software engineer at Google and a software engineer at IBM are going to be doing very different things. (As far as I know Google always advertises its positions as 'Software Engineer'?).

For example, a friend is an extremely good software engineer, knows Java inside out, and is on nearly £100k final salary for doing what he does. Ask him to knock up a Quicksort algorithm, or what its time complexity is, and I think it's safe to say he wouldn't have a clue.

I guess the answer is don't apply for jobs at Google; but then surely they must have a need for application/solution/system builders and not just algorithm gods.

iam
Aug 5, 2011
Maybe I'm being naive, but an engineer engineers solutions to problems, typically technical ones? :downs:

Regardless, take for example a software engineering course, you learn principles, skills and techniques that can be implemented in any language and cross domains (admittedly I'm generalising) - I don't see how that differs too much from other engineering disciplines?

iam
Aug 5, 2011
Similarly, my brother is a 'Drainage Engineer', and designs and fits drainage systems for residential/commercial/industrial customers - he isn't certificated, nor is it a requirement that he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iam
Aug 5, 2011
Trevor Train, Trainee Train Trainer

AMIDOINGITRITE?

iam fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 27, 2011