Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Went to a party Friday and, at some point, this cat finds out that I "can code." He ends up asking for my contact info right then and there for this low-level programming job his boss is trying to fill and emails me a link to the job as posted on the HR website (company is among the major employers in my city). I know I should chase after cause a) I'm unemployed and b) it'd be a loving coding job, but I really don't know how aggressive I should be about pursuing it.

The big things are that I've not completed college and I kinda don't believe him when he says they're just "looking for someone who can program, at this point [ed. roughly]." I mean, is FizzBuzz really a pretty standard interview tech question that actually weeds people out? I mean, I solved it fairly easily but had to double-check the answer cause there had to be a trick in there. Is the ability to program willing that hard to find?

And, lastly, is the starting wage, my eyes were starting to glaze over when I saw the pay scale/range for the position. I mean, it's about average to a little below average for CS/tech starting salaries, but I be raising my income by several multiples and have a hard time believing that I'd be "worth" that much.

TL;DR I met a (drunk) guy at a party who offered me a good-paying coding job that he thinks I could do, but I'm afraid to go and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A couple of goons posted:

Go for it!
Ok. I'll even go ahead and re-add my "Competencies" section where I list languages known before I send it off to him.

hieronymus posted:

You need to get over that guilt fast - there have been times when I've gotten paid over 1k per line of code checked-in. Always look out for number one.

It's not guilt so much as the big clash in prospects. I had been looking for some crappy minimum wage, full time, non-tech job for the past month or two but now in walks some random person thinking I'd be a good fit for a job making at least 3x that amount. It's a little hard to process. Also, for the rest of that night he talked to me about how CS people need business sense and to learn how to sell themselves, so I get where you and the others are coming from.

So, I'm willing to assume that something might come of this, which means I should act like it, I suppose. Is there a good resource out there for programming problems, either language independent or Java or C# specific? And no, I don't mean interview-grade questions, but solutions that should take me a day or two to get working just so that I can start remembering Java/learning C# (the two languages listed as being needed). That way, I shouldn't make too big of an rear end of myself if an interview does come my way. :v:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All this talk of security clearance reminds me of how my grandfather (a career Army officer) had issues when he needed to get his. They don't like it when you don't know what your own first name is...

Also, resume questions! (Would this be better served in the general resume thread in BFC? :shrug:)

At the top of my coding resume, I list my competencies, namely the programming languages and libraries I know. Since I don't have a degree and have no work experience should I refrain from using the "kitchen sink" method and just list the ones I'd be comfortable with writing code in right now? Currently, I have C++, C#, Java (all caps is no longer in vogue, yes?), and MIPS, which is a partial kitchen sink as I'm missing C (though that could be assumed by C++) and R (which I learned a little while trying to tutor/teach someone it).

If I've done most of my programming in C++ using Visual C++ (seriously bought a retail copy with lunch money in HS), is that enough to slap on .NET as a known library? For reference, I only have OpenGL listed in my libraries section, but that's a stretch as we used glut for the one class I took on graphics.

Also, when skimming through job postings I've always assumed that "Associate" and "Junior" are typically entry-level positions, are there any other keywords I should be on the lookout for?

Zhentar posted:

Project Euler is pretty good for practicing.

Wanted to thank you for this but it took a while for me to start doing them. I've been using it to learn C#, for the most part, and they've been quite fun. The problems are making me think a little and I'm finding myself writing some fun little code. Hell, I'm even commenting it for all of the nobody that will ever see it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

shrughes posted:

Have you used .NET?

w00tz0r posted:

Unless you were coding in C++/CLI (I sincerely doubt this if you're doing hobby coding), then .NET has nothing to do with C++.

Ehh... :v:

Yeah, I see what y'all are saying. I probably got confused cause the .NET thread seems to deal a lot with C# and I used VC++.NET 2003 for C++.

quote:

I wouldn't put a language on my resume unless I was comfortable answering questions about it in an interview. If I couldn't sit down without checking reference material for syntax, I'd still put it on my resume if I knew enough to know what to look for, if that makes any sense.

Completely does.

I'm just going to nix the Libraries cause I doubt it'll make me look any better (especially if I whiff on an OpenGL question). Thanks, guys.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qntm posted:

How did that happen?

Well, he always thought his given name, Billie, was just a nickname for William, but it wasn't until he enlisted for the Army band (I think) that he found out his legal first name was Billie. Of course, it wasn't much of a hubbub at the time; he didn't plan on going career.

Fast forward to him being general staff and posted at the Pentagon, and he gets screened pretty hard because of that little gaffe. He ended up getting it (not sure what level), but his file ended up being filled with "AKA William" all over the place.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Silly little thing about getting myself back up to speed. I'm still working on Euler problems but would like to add something to the rotation that'll give me a nice little program to use as sample code if a place asks for it. It'd be something simple that I could bang out in a couple of days, but still show clean code and would be fun to run.

I'm thinking about building a Nim game (yeah, I forgot what it was called too), since:
1) Game rules are simple and variable, meaning easy to implement with loads of user control
2) Solved, meaning that AI/computer would be simple(r) to write
3) UI can be build up as time allows, allows me to cut my teeth a little
4) It's way cooler to say "I've built this crappy little game" than "I found the 10,001st prime!"

So, would this be reasonable program to use? Is there a better project out there to waste my week on?

Also, about comments, since I believe this is a thing that is reviewed for all sample code, in addition to program flow, etc. I'm won't be going to far beyond what I normally do for comments since I'm usually pretty verbose, but are there things that I should be getting back into the habit of doing?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I found a programming puzzle for a company that I'm applying to and they want the solution emailed to them. Would it look good if I spent time in the email explaining the algorithm more verbosely than I was able to in the comments of the code? I mean, I explain what the code does, but not why I've made these decisions nor specified how they make the function more efficient.

Also, I'll be including my github account which I should be creating today, since I didn't put one on my application. It's asked for on the application and is mentioned on the submission portion of the puzzle. At present I don't have any code showing off their preferred language, PHP, but hope to get some samples up in a couple of days as I try to teach myself it using Euler problems (as I did previously with C#). Would it be worth advertising that I will have PHP samples up in a couple of days? Or should I just let them only see my C#/C++/Java examples?

def snow leppard posted:

Does anyone have any tips or resources for tailoring a resume and cover letter for applying for internships? I'm not the greatest student (I'm in my 3rd year of a 4 year CS degree with a 2.9 GPA that will take me at least 4.5 years to complete at this point) and I want to make myself as appealing as possible.

All I've got is the basic generic advice, take the time to learn about each and every company you're applying to, especially the smaller ones. You're a Junior, you should be able to digest their outward face and current projects in half an hour for a smaller company. Remember that this is an internship, not a job, focus on things you're interested in, would like to learn, and would like to do after college. Say things like "I've loved [FAVORITE COURSE/CONCEPTS] and would like to see how it applies in the real word" (except you should write gooder than that). Do you have any standout classes? Push that in your cover letter, too.

As for getting it looking pretty, your school should have a career development office or something. They usually also handle internships too. If you're school is of a decent size, they should be hosting a job/internship fair each year (if not each semester). You might be pretty goony, but just going out there improves your chances a lot. gently caress, I don't think you need to go back even two pages here to hear about people with pretty crap grades getting good jobs and internships just through making a good showing at a job fair or meet'n'greet.

And, lastly, who o you have in your corner in your CS department? Have you talked to them recently? If you haven't, DO IT! And not just a "I don't know how to format my CV." Actually talk to them about internships and poo poo, build up a rapport and maybe they'll remember a posting a friend sent them.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ithaqua posted:

All of them, to some degree. However, premature optimization is a problem waiting to happen. You optimize last, once you have a working solution and good unit test coverage. Then you can go in and optimize to your heart's content, time permitting.

Now that I've seen this phrase used a couple of times (especially in regards to it being a bad thing), I'm curious about what exactly it means. You're surely not taking about ways to trim the fat off of algorithms before implementation, right? Or just designing them, initially, in terms of running faster?

I only ask cause that's how I've been coding recently due to working on Euler Problems where my assumption is that my gut solution will be inefficient.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

awesmoe posted:

What do you mean? Ridiculous good or ridiculous bad? (I'm from a country with actual labour laws so I might have a different perspective than you)

Ridiculous bad. "At will" means that neither the employer nor the employee :roflolmao: are legally compelled to keep working, by mechanism of the state (labor contracts are still enforceable if present). This is all a wonky way of saying that your manager is allowed to say "you're fired" whenever they drat well please and starting at that moment, you're no longer an employee. The theory is that it goes both ways in that an employee can bolt off to a better job as soon as they get it. Because "equality" means that both sides can do the exact same things! :downs:

So, a friend of mine has given me some tasks/assignments to help me build up my skill base and also a general info dump on skills he feels would help make me more marketable. I'm currently looking at learning what he refers to as "Data Storage Technologies," in which he suggests either learning SQL, XML, or JSON. I'd like to get a little crappy program written up (or at least started on) before this weekend, but I don't know which one to go with.

I'm learning towards SQL, but if one of the other two would be more marketable (since, let's face it, that's all I care about at the moment), I'd switch to it in a heartbeat. For reference, it'd be focused on one of my stronger languages, C++, JAVA, or, possibly, C#, which, to me, is just another point towards SQL.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gucci void main posted:

Found out that they supposedly tried to call me, but it went to voicemail. It was odd because I called from another phone and it rang immediately. I think the call went well and the commute might be a pain in the rear end, but I guess I'm going to have an onsite thing (it sounded as if there would be two different ones, though) in the near future. It doesn't hurt for sake of experience, at least.

Hey, you've got a real-deal, face-to-face interview (actually, a barrage of them from the sound of it). Chin up, old bean! :wotwot:

I say this cause it's easy for me to get discouraged, too, even in the face of a *good thing*.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gucci void main posted:

Well, the other two guys were apparently unable to respond to my emails/messages even after 24+ hours, so it's just this one opportunity. It's better than nothing and I haven't been scheduled for a date just yet, but at least it's something. It's just rough right now, especially given the last month.

You misunderstand, when you said:

gucci void main posted:

but I guess I'm going to have an onsite thing (it sounded as if there would be two different ones, though) in the near future.

I'm reading that as you being confused cause they mentioned that you'd be interviewed by more than one person. Am I correct?

If so, when you get over there in the next couple of days, they'll run you through a gauntlet and you'll probably end up talking to several people. Now if that is the case, this is a good thing and a good sign, and this company seriously vets their potential employees.

If not. Well, it still sounds much better than your last offer.

Plorkyeran posted:

What's a phone line?

:phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phone:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KidDynamite posted:

That is some real deal bullshit. How can that even work? How did the school let that happen? Pretty sure you're allowed to do whatever you want with your code as long as he didn't post the professors exact question or more likely the exact question from the text book.

"Because it's the same as you handing your code to X, Y, and Z students."
- The School

gucci void main posted:

It does suck that I have to go all the way in for something which will last half of the time that it would take me to get there and back. There's also (in theory) nothing stopping them from having me do an exercise at home if they would like to test my capabilities. I would rather have one long interview process instead of making two potential trips, which I have done before.

To be fair, I read it as 1. Get there. 2. Do tests 3. Half-day of meetings 4. Go home, meaning it was a one-long-day dealie. Is it a one day thing or two separate days or did they even specify?

Real solution: Tell them that, due to the commute issues, you have to do this all in one day (if they are trying to do it in two). Don't tell HR, "Well, it is kinda far away..." and hope that they pick up the subtleties in your tone. Be direct and ask, "Since it's over a half-hour commute one way, can we do this all in one day?"

And to tag on with Zhentar, see if they'll let you work flex-time to avoid traffic or so that you can push out your work in four days instead of five. See if you can do a partial telecommute as well, like two days at home, three there.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cryolite posted:

Since the people here seem to know what they're talking about could someone critique my possibly horrible resume?

I've never gone through the resume/interview process to get a "real" job (in development or otherwise) so I have no idea what I'm doing. I have another one with the stuff on the bottom in columns that might look better, but I don't know. Somebody please tell me what you think.

If it matters, I'd love to push the reset button and get an ASP.NET MVC position, or at least something where I can work with and learn from others and be pushed to excel, instead of atrophying in a dead end underpaid government support black hole.

First things first, why is "Additional Qualifications" before your main qualifications (i.e. "Familiar Technology")? Your languages and frameworks are more important than being an Eagle Scout.

Another thing is it's kinda text heavy. Remember, it's just a quick, info dump that may be the only thing a recruiter sees and they should be able to digest in half a minute. EDIT: Might be a little unfair here

Like your one job, you're first bullet is, roughly, "made several C# form apps." It's fine to be that wordy but is each bullet point one of those apps? Why doesn't it flow to show that link? Something as simple as a "Such as:" would get the point across.

Lastly, you're "1 credit shy of completion" on your Master's and you're currently enrolled. Will you be graduating in May? If so, change that right this instant to "Expected graduation on [whenever]." Current phrasing makes it sound like you stopped, and you want them to know that you will soon have a Master's.

Also, post that bad boy over here in BFC. It is (now) a thread were people critique resumes. Quite a few know what they're talking about and are on top of the current trends.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2013

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Little resume question about my education. The full bullet point looks like this:

quote:

August 2006 – December 2009: University of Pittsburgh
Majored in Computer Science for about two and a half years (5 semesters), completing all but one (CS 0449, Introduction to Systems) of the core courses for the Computer Science major.

For reference, here's what Pitt lists for their CS degree. I don't know if that's the best way to list it or not, as the mention of what I did complete is a recent addition. The goal was to show that I do have some understanding of the rudiments of CS, which is a positive thing regardless. My main problem with the phrasing is a) it's a negative phrasing (didn't complete all the core classes) and b) it puts the onus on them to figure out what Pitt deems the "core classes" to be.

Is there a better phrasing to use for my education here?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nmx posted:

So you didn't get a degree? Do you have relevant work experience?

Nope and don't have relevant work experience either. To be fair, it was this thread that supported the notion that a degree isn't strictly required.

I met with a HS friend over the Christmas and he has given me loads of tips and advice. To top it off, we ended up with a rough outline of a school management program that will, more than likely, be what gets me hired. I'm even going to have weekly check-ins with him, forcing me to design like in a normal dev environment. And I'm super confident that when I hit the pavement for real work (in a month or two), it'll be like what he said about not having a degree: "you need to be awesome to get an interview, but then the interview won't be a problem cause you're awesome." He's really giving me a huge helping hand here. As an aside, he's looking for work to out in Seattle and I'd like to help him out if I could. I just don't know if it'd be in bad form to ask about it here, considering that he's not a goon, etc.

Ha. I do have one, finally, and the aforementioned project will be the showcase piece of my account. Serious question, where do you put a link to your github on a resume? Just add it to the header with your other contact info?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

A degree isn't strictly required for many positions but hoo boy does it make things easier. And most people that don't have their degree traded it for a ton of experience - if you've got neither you're really at a disadvantage.

I know, but I'm a cocky basterd and like to think of myself as one of those "good programmers developers," with or without a degree. I mean, if FizzBuzz can actually weed out a fourth of applicants (even if the have a degree), I can't be the worst one out there.

quote:

If you're that close to a degree is going back to school an option for you?

It's a vicious cycle, I need a decent (like $20k+) job to be able to swing going back and finish and getting a degree is the best way to get a decent job.

EDIT: Previously, it was pretty bitter and I was projecting a little.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2013

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I was in a not entirely dissimilar position in 2010 (I had 3 normal semesters + 1 summer left). Between working 70-80 hour weeks at a manufacturing job while I was out of school and a Godsend of a sympathetic neighbor I was able to scare up the money to go back and finish, and I would up getting cold-called and offered a job right around graduation from a company that had hired a couple of people from my school in years past (they found my resume on my school's career center website). You may well be able to land some webdev stuff in the meantime for reasonable dosh, I recommend that if this happens you bank enough to finish school as the super-hot market for anyone who can sling code probably won't last forever. The situation you're in now blows, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh I know it. As I said in the edited post, I was just bitter from the comment and got set off. There's loads of baggage surrounding this thing that makes it easy for me to get discouraged from practically nothing. So thanks, kemo sabe.

Truly, the plan is to get work and pull off either an Associate's or to go whole hog and go back to Pitt. And it isn't just to keep myself marketable, I'm even cocky enough to think that I could push for at least a Master's (probably in graphics) and might even end up in academia as an instructor or prof.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lmao zebong posted:

Hashing: understanding the difference between hashing data structures and other data structures like a linked list or an array, and the differences it creates when searching for an object in the data structure.

Thanks for mentioning this as this is the one of those things I really don't know how to do/can explain. Even though I got an A+ in the class that had a project on hashing. :ssh:

Is the Wiki on hash tables and functions a good enough resource for an overview?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm tired of being in school.

Say in school.

Also, you're complaining about still having 3 semesters to go AND nothing to fill up your summer with? I think we found out what you should do, do a summer semester so that you'll graduate this time next year, instead of next September (or December if you only take course during Spring and Fall semesters...). Hell, even going half-time would be enough to lighten your load for all the subsequent semesters. This is something you should do seeing as how you've already mentioned how "real world poo poo happens, semester goes to poo poo." A lightened semester might have you breathing easier if you're delivering papers again.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thepedestrian posted:

They are also paying you as an independent contractor so they don't have to provide health insurance or the like. Avoid.

They also think that is legal. Just don't.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, why is that not legal? I have a friend who works a part time, minimum wage job at a small PC repair shop and she's hired as an independent contractor so the guy doesn't have to deal with taxes or something.

Well, you just explained why in your example and the others have posted good thing too.

For me, it's the fact that the position is for Jr. Dev, fresh out of school. It's for yearly blocks, of which there's no promise to hire (so this isn't contract-to-hire), but are promises of renewal. Also, the position doesn't allow for the developer to do things their own way, which is critical to the discussion and makes an independent contractor, independent.

And remember, it's not that the wages aren't taxed, it's that the IC now has to do that. So it's also a way for badly run companies to be "taxes are hard, you do it!" Which, while not a reason for illegality, isn't something that should be happening.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bhaal posted:

It's not about the income being taxed, it's about social security and medicare contributions that the employer would make if that person were an employee, as well as paying into unemployment insurance and possibly a few others depending on where you are.

The self employment tax covers SS and medicare, which is why I said it was just throwing it on the should-be-employee. Also, you'd probably not be eligible for unemployment after this job, since you weren't employed! :v:

But that's probably enough on the IC derail, here's a newbie question: as a non-degree, first-time job seeker should I be looking at big corps to work on "line of business" software (internal stuff to make internal stuff run smoother) or a much smaller, software-only company? Or, third option, am I viewing things from the wrong angle entirely?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

QuantumCrayons posted:

I've never covered algorithms at university. In fact, I've studied more about algorithms at high school than I have in my three years here. I'm also worried about not knowing anything about optimisation and stuff like that. There's been a big focus on other things, though; for example, I've been taught to program competently in three languages (C#, Java and Python), various web technologies (HTML5/CSS3, PHP, JavaScript, ColdFusion), Linux and Windows networking, some embedded etc. It's just beginning to concern me that things that are seen as elementary CS topics haven't been examined.

Not that I'm a college grad or anything but a CS program without algorithms or data structures is fairly odd. Most here in the states have an intro one as part of the initial round of classes. Would you mind saying where you're studying or just list the names of the core courses for your program? If I asked you about Big O notation, heaps, and Bubble Sort, could you explain any of them? Do you at least recognize them?

For those in the States, what's the expectation for algorithms and data structures and the ones to know? I have some college experience and aced the core class, "Data Structures." It was one of a two-course algorithm sequence at Pitt and I didn't take the followup. I only ask because to flesh out my education on my resume I make sure to write out that I've completed the core class for the CS program. Another thing is about using model-view-controller. A friend of mine made a comment about how understanding model-view-controller is what makes or breaks you for software engineering. Is this a bit of a stretch?

Lastly, any Amazon devs or hiring people in this thread? Not trying to call anybody out, but the friend mentioned above is just having a string of bad link with his phone interviews with Amazon and I don't to know if it is a bad sign or not. By bad luck I mean stuff like his recruiter/HR person at Amazon was fired during his last interview attempt. Are they understanding of these kinds of things are do they just move on to the next candidate? This isn't his first job and he's got some good creditentials, but it's also been rough on him. If you don't want to speak about it on the open forums, hit me up at my SA Gmail of BirdOfPlay61000. And no, I don't know what part of Amazon he was looking at.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

baquerd posted:

As for MVC making or breaking you, that's probably the case where your friend works, but it's one of those things that an entry level developer only really needs to know the idea behind in most cases, because a senior developer will be architecting the overall program design.

I think he meant in sense of overall design work and software engineering almost in the academic sense of the term. And no, I'm not worried about it being something I'm weak on, costing me a job. The thing was that it come about as a compliment to me since I just had a sense of how to run things like this. I'd recognized the controller aspect from my (crappy) modding experience with Source and my one graphics class. The model and view separation just came about cause, why should they be bunched together?

To be fair, he's been helping me on this project in the since that he's giving me objectives and making me look at things at various levels, but not providing code support. Basically it ends up with us getting on video chat and going over what needs to be done next and explaing why certain design decisions are a Bad Idea. C++ programs throw exceptions like it's going out of style, right? :eng99:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I passed my resume along to a fellow bar regular that works for a international train signal company as an EE. Since he was trying to work there for code stuff, he's on good terms with some of their embedded developers and is surprisingly eager to help. Assuming I get past the "this resume looks like :butt:" and the (possible) does he have a B.Something stages, how should I be preparing myself to make myself attractive? Also, how much different will embedded C coding be from the C++ and OOP stuff that I grew up on?

My dream way to prepare for this would be to find a simulator/emulator and work out a little traffic controller program. Unfortunately, this week is crammed full with my current job, which makes me feel like asking him to give me an extra week or two before he hands it off to somebody.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks, that list jump-started some memories of C and what would gave me issues in the "C" class. Also, would skimming K&R C be more detriment than helpful to get my head on straight with regards to C as it's used now? I mean, I do know that the book is based on C86, but isn't that the last version Microsoft is compliant with?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Disclaimer: I am an engineer doing embedded stuff for a firm that makes pressure and temperature instruments, and one of our largest customers is a train company

There are a lot of different meanings of the word 'embedded' ranging from 8-bit shitwagons with 512 bytes of program space and 64 bytes of RAM all the way up to SoCs/SBCs with a gig of ram and quad 64-bit 1.5 GHz CPUs, so it's hard to give a general answer. That being said, I would guess based on your prospective employer's field of train signaling that the embedded stuff they do fits the classical definition of embedded where you make real-time systems that have a microcontroller like a PIC or one of the ARM Cortex chips as the brains.

That was my assumption too. It wasn't until I peeked in at the embedded megathread that I saw how complicated things are. My friend tried explaining how most of their work is in ATC, ATP, and ATS (Automatic Train Control, Protection, and Stop) systems. He also tried explaining them to me, but a crowded and active bar isn't the best place to do so. :v:

And especially thanks for giving me an idea of what kind of system I'd be working with, this make it easier to pop over to the embedded thread and ask for some pointers.

quote:

...Loads of bullets...

I hope that helps.

It does! It also makes me blank out over the differential between what I know and what I need to know. #2 is where most of my deficiencies currently lay, obviously. Now to hope that I get some personal time next week to do read up on this stuff.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For the first time I'm making a conceited effort at applying for dev jobs here in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from anyone. I think it's because I don't have a degree past a HS Diploma. I do, however, have personal experience programming and some CS education.

I also have a Github account that's about a year or two old, but it doesn't have a whole lot on it. Lots of little solutions to Project Euler problems. The most exciting thing is a game that I worked on about once a week starting at the beginning of the year. It should be north of a thousand lines of code. It's currently functional and can stably run, but I do have plans to work on it further to add features and round off some rough edges.

Besides mentioning the game in both my cover letter and resume and directing whoever to look at my Github, what else can I be doing so that a company will give me a shot? Is it harder to looked at for C++ positions without a degree than web stuff?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

null gallagher posted:

When you say you're directing potential employers to your Github, do you mean in a cover letter? That poo poo better be on your resume, up top where it can't be missed.

Also, it might not lead directly to a job, but local tech meetups are a good resource to network. I've actually had a few internal recruiters say they contacted me because I was (barely) active in some NYC tech meetups.

I list at at the bottom with my contact info like so:
Name
Address
Phone
Email
Github

Heck, my second bullet point (on my resume) is that game I was talking about, and the blurb ends by saying, "Check it out on BirdOfPlay's Github. Yeah!"

And I probably should try meetups again, I just don't know how to find them.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Out of curiosity is there more to job hunting than just throwing resumes around and hoping to get called? For some reason the feeling I got from this thread was to not call and ask companies about a resume, about its status, etc.

I ask because this seems really passive and feels like I could be getting interviews or something if I actually talked to someone.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urit posted:

What should Projects section generally look like on a resume? A listing with languages used, or a little blurb about the project, or just a name? Nothing at all? My company is open-sourcing some of my work and I've got some personal projects that aren't utter poo poo. My github is already on there. The example resumes in the OP don't have anything like that.

I'm also curious about the best way to detail projects.

For me I name it, describe what it does, and name the language(s) & library(s) used. Since my resume is lacking meat, I also included current status and next milestones. I feel like that might be a bit too much, though.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone able to give some critiques on my resume? I'm willing to post my Github username if that would be of any benefit. In that vein, are my projects not serious/big/good enough? What would be a better project to work on?

I know my chances are slim without a degree or work experience but don't know if a better looking resume will help with that. The main problem I have is that I lack any web languages/skills, which seems to be what most of the tech companies here in Pittsburgh work with.

EDIT: Last time I asked, Bonds suggested that I look into networking. I couldn't find anything on Meetup for C++ or Java in my area. Would the local .NET group be a good place to network and attend (never worked with .NET)?

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 16, 2014

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ithaqua posted:

Do you want to write .NET applications? If so, then yes. If not, then probably not.

Isn't .NET just Microsoft's name for their compilers? :v:

Serious answer, maybe? I roughly know .NET as a multi-language library for making windows applications for Windows. .NET can mean C++, C# VBasic, and probably a couple of others.

I want a job that will allow me to pay back debts and attend college again before I turn 35. Outside of those qualifications, I'm not picky.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Skuto posted:

It's ugly. Seriously. Take a look at the examples in OP for a cleaner markup. Centering text? Underlining? Remember you are never solely judged on your technical skills, but communicating is important too, and clear and clean presentation is a part of that.

I miss a technologies section. You don't have much there, so anything is good to add. Your mapmaker had a GUI? What framework did you use? (Let's score some more hits on automated resume scanners while still being informative to real people)

As for the past poster saying there's no entry level jobs for C++, "so drop it". It's probably true that there's very few entry level jobs for pure C++, but there's definitely jobs for people reasonably versed in C/C++ and people who are that aren't exactly in large supply either. If I look at your skills and interest, Android development might be interesting - it will leverage your Java and C++ skills, it's something new and demand is good. Try porting your game over, for example.

And learn a scripting language. (Python or Ruby preferred)

Just so ya know, I read this when you posted it and have been ruminating on it most of the time until now. Above all else, thank you (and the others that replied) for helping me reassess what I need to be doing and to get on that. It's prolly a much better plan than just stopping.

After looking over the examples in the OP (didn't even know they existed), I agree that my resume is butt. I should definitely revise it to include a tech section for libraries and frameworks.

Android development does sound interesting. Problem is that a Monster search for that here brings up a great, big goose-egg. Following the advice of this thread, I'm going to focus on something that's popular and widely used here in the Burgh: C# and .NET. .NET has the added benefit of having an active Meetup group that is run out of the Microsoft offices, which should be promising for networking and the like.

Oddly enough, the next meeting is about using something called "Xamarin" for mobile development. :v:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 24, 2014

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

Hey I plan on going to that Meet up. :)

Haha, cool. I'll see ya there. :hfive:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

I will be the bald dude with the giant beard!

:monocle: Do tell!

I'll be the brown-haired guy with the small beard.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urit posted:

I need some interview advice. I recently got feedback from a recruiter that it was "too honest" to say, and this is verbatim what I said:

Them: "Why are you looking for a new job?"
Me: "I like the technical work I'm doing with <My Current Company> but I don't get on very well with the people - there's a very large generation gap between me and the other people in my department, and that coupled with a very hands-off management style and siloed departments makes me feel isolated there."

It's the honest truth, but I need a better way to corporate-speak it, I guess.

Rephrase your answer to be what you'd prefer in a job, not what your last job was bad at. Also be positive, and deflect if you can't say anything positive.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there anything I should know about PluralSight if I'm going to be using it to get a crash course on a few things? I was given a free month of it and intend to make the most of it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Adahn the nameless posted:

Watch everything on 1.7-2x speed 'cause they talk really slow. Quality varies widely with presenter. Has a history of a .Net focus but they're branching out through acquisition.

From personal experience, I thought the git cli class was pretty good, back when Hg/TFS was all I used. They machine learning classes were pretty cool too. And there's a few good F# ones iirc.

Guess that's why a .NET'er was eager to show it to me! :v:

I've noticed the slow talking thing. I started watching one on C#, but it kinda dragged on. The one I'm mostly done with is on WPF, and it feels more like a crash course.

Also, what do y'all use to build your resumes? Mine looks like butt, and I can't find a way to get LibreOffice to cooperate.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm going to a local Meetup this evening and am a little unsure about what to expect and what to bring. It's a .NET group and the event isn't a recruiting one but is about a mobile development framework (Xamarin). Even still, I'm going to print off a handful of resumes and will have my laptop with a little C# demo that I've cooked up over the weekend.

I'm not really expecting to get an interview out of this event but would be pleased as punch if it did happen. I mainly expect to spend the night meeting people, networking, and seeing what .NET devs really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ithaqua posted:

Yeah, don't do that. Just go and talk to people, it's going to be weird if you whip out your laptop and start handing out your resume.

coffeetable posted:

:psyduck: I think it's gonna be much more relaxed than what you're expecting. Just chat to people and if someone shows interest in hiring you then get their email and talk about it later.

Oh, don't worry. I wasn't going to to be passing out resumes like I'm working an Iowa caucus. Both were more just to be prepared if there was interest, but I will admit that having the laptop is a bit much.

Guess I'm just remembering the last event like this I went to, a mini-tech talk thingy hosted by a web start-up in the area. Granted, the start-up was a little explicit that they were looking for people...