Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

ignore, wrong thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

pr0metheus posted:

I have an upcoming interview with Google and Amazon. I think I have a general idea of what to expect (CS questions, brain teasers, soft. eng questions, etc.) but would like an advise or some input that is not trivial from some of the goons who may have gone through the interview process with them or actually gotten hired.

I went through the whole Amazon and Google interview processes. The phone interview are kind of the same. Here is a problem, write some code. With Amazon I had two phone interviews, with Google one. The problems in the Amazon interviews were math-heavier. Since I suck at math, I was not able to complete the problem in the second interview.

My on-site interviews were completely different too. Amazon was a lot about high-level OOP and systems design (we talked about how the Kindle backend works). I wrote many, many whiteboards full of Java code. Google was all over the place. Short questions. Little code to write. More to think about algorithms.

In general, the individual interviews at Amazon seemed to follow a general trend while the interviews at Google were disconnected and every interviewer just did whatever he felt like.

Of course all of this depends heavily on what teams you are interviewing for and who your interviewers are.