Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Roughly how in-depth were those questions? I realize they certainly gave you an NDA. I've thought about applying there and I probably will anyway, but I feel like I'm gonna have to spend 2 months refreshing on algorithms and complexity and whatnot. I've been working for 5+ years now and I can't say I used any of that knowledge from school more than a couple of times (and in the real world, wikipedia is always right there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

So it seems like NYC has some pretty good prospects for engineers based on this thread. I am gonna be moving there within a few months and looking for work, it looks like there is actually a decent software scene there. Though after 5 years of doing C and Perl it feels like being fluent in latin or something.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm getting ready to job hunt soon. I've had a few months off but before that I was working as a developer for a little over 5 years at the same company (which in its industry is well known). I don't have any side projects but I would think that much experience, while not a ton, would more than make up for it. I'm planning on doing some interview question practice in various languages to get my chops back and brush up on some CS theory I haven't used in a while before I start trying to get interviews.

Would you guys do anything different, such as spend more time getting some side projects instead? I'm putting my resume together as well, and it is going to be mostly focused on what I did at that one company, since it is most relevant. Should I even bother listing prior work like a part-time IT position while in school?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Crossposted from the CV thread. Posted a first draft of my resume now that I am job hunting soon. Any critiques welcome!

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/BlankedOutResume.pdf

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

vertiginominal posted:

FYI that email link still points to your actual email.

Thanks, replaced it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Updated my resume based on yalls' criticism. Thanks for taking a look!

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/BlankedOutResume.pdf

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Infinotize A few things:

Thanks for the input. I have Linux experience but left it out since (although there could be a long spergy debate about it) linux is a subset of unix, but I suppose Unix/Linux isn't too clunky-looking. The main bullets are a bit redundant now that you mention it. I haven't singled out leadership experience too much beyond indicating I was dev lead on a certain project. Maybe if I get rid of some of the redundant sections I can have room to expand a little more without becoming a wall o' text.

Thanks!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

How about... reschedule? If I was king of the software people I would totally not hire some guy/girl if I found out they were driving around getting lost during a phone interview.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

To the lurkers and new kids, don't worry, you can be a good software developer and also have a life

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This is more subjective, maybe, but I guess I wonder when I'm "ready" to go for a programming job. Let me give a little background to say when I'm coming from:

I have a totally unrelated degree (Japanese), but when that wasn't working out for me I decided to try and get into IT. I kind of lucked into a jack-of-all-trades sort of IT job. The pay is not very good, but the nice part is I get to "punch above my weight" a lot so I got lots of experience with stuff I walked in knowing nothing about. So anyway, while I've been on this job I've been on a gradual progression through SQL queries, access, blah blah, so anyway I'm at the point now where I regularly write scripts with Perl (for Unix) and and Powershell (for Windows) and I've written and deployed some small JavaScript things. I've also cranked out a simple C# Winforms application for work on my own (I started a bigger CRUD sort of a app using Linq at home but then I found out someone else had written software to do the same thing and kind of lost motivation).

So anyway, part of me says, you know, I really lack a formal background and there are huge gulfs in my knowledge (and certainly there's a lot of stuff I'd like to do, like writing device drivers, where my skills just aren't enough right now). On the other hand, another part of me says there are thousands and thousands of .NET CRUD apps in the world where my skills are perfectly adequate to work on them.

How much is enough to seriously consider looking at a junior programming job? I'm not going to starve if I stay at my job for longer, but the money is a big deal and I'd like to focus more on programming than the more "retail" IT kind of stuff that's also part of my job.

With your type of background and goal of going into full programming/development/engineering it seems like CS fundamentals would be the place to improve the most. I've been doing a bunch of interviewing and so far most places ask the same genre of questions. If you aren't familiar with data structures, O(n), etc, you could be a fine enough programmer but will have a tough time interviewing. Look up interview questions and stuff like topcoder SRMs and google code jam to gauge your chops.

Also while I get questions about my resume in about half of interviews, I think most of the time it's sortof a check on whether or not it was bullshit and I actually did the stuff on it. When it comes down to it IMO it's more about interview performance than background.

I like this blog post for general stuff you should know to get a job. It's about Google but I think it applies most places.

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Source control should not eat up time in intro programming but it should be part of software engineering courses, of which most programs have ~1 class, which should probably be increased since it's the only software-in-the-real-world type class.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

Bloomberg. I never want to work there anyway,

How come? Just curious. I was talking to a recruiter from there (although seems like a bit more competent one)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks for your comprehensive assessment but I inferred there might be some other reason as well.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

True. That is ridiculous. I think a lot of employers neglect the two-way part of recruitment/interview processes.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hi

Good Day.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Cicero posted:

Depends on your level. For an entry-level dev at a major tech company in SF, I'd guess at least something like 120/150/180-200 total comp for junior/mid/senior positions. Those numbers are very high, of course, but just take a look at rent in SF.

Since no one commented on this, is this for real? Are you kidding me? 120-200 total comp for entry level? Glassdoor has averages around 160 for SE III's.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It's in "businessy" midtown which typically means less neighbodhoody feel, worse food options, lacking in culture and such, and busy. As opposed to some small companies in cooler SOHO/NOHO areas or Google in Chelsea.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Broadway & 9th is still considered midtown? I thought it was Greenwich Village. Shows what I know, I guess. Better than their old building on 43rd though, right?

Oops, didn't even process your post. Didn't know they had a new spot, I was indeed thinking of the one in the east 40s.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had a year gap on my resume (and was applying to places while unemployed - also didn't do any side projects or anything). It probably hurt me in terms of getting interviews, but every place I got an interview with asked about it and when I told them I went traveling for x months that was either the end of it or it would lead to a 10 min tangential conversation.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anecdote: I knew a guy who worked at a 50-100 person small co./startup out of school and got 100k.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Welp, 2nd time not making it at google (NY; this year and last year). The Black Box of Interview Rejection sure is frustrating! Felt like all the interviews went well, and I'm usually a pretty harsh judge of that. :shrug:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

On the NYC/SF thing- I live in NYC, working in midtown and live in Astoria, so I get a 20 min commute, and (relatively) cheap rent (~1600/1br, non crappy neighborhood).

I like to humor myself about moving to the bay area sometimes, but when I search around, there is no "Astoria" in SF - quick commute to downtown (note, talking about SF and not SV, bleh), cheap rent, good neighborhood, etc. It seems like you are stuck paying a ton to be in SF or have a 45min-1hr commute from east bay or wherever. Is there such a thing in SF? Also to be fair my commute in NYC is 20 min to midtown, but to get downtown it would be 45min-1hr.

Not to turn this into neighborhood chat or anything.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

When I hear "bespoke" I think of perhaps a Rolls Royce brochure or the latest interior decorating featured in Rich Man's Luxury Lifestyle Magazine.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The Khan Academy for probability and combinatorics is really good for refreshing this basic stuff: https://www.khanacademy.org/mission/probability (permutation/combination tasks)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Always ask for more just because. At my current job I gave a number first (like a moron). They offered a bit over that. I asked for a little more on top of that (lol) (I was interviewing at several places although I only ended up with the one offer), and I got it. You literally cannot lose if you ask nicely and have even the most basic justification like "I'm still interviewing with some other companies." Specifically in my case I said I'm interested in the current offer but I have interviews with X and Y and I'm willing to just cut off the process with them and accept if you bump your offer up and it worked, I didn't even have competing offers in hand.

I don't know if there's a rule of thumb but I based my asks around glassdoor for the company and similar companies to stay in kindof an aggressive reality ballpark range, so any percentage would depend on what you'll think they'll pay, what you think you're worth, how far off their offer was, etc.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Job description requirements are stupid wish lists that were probably written by someone in HR or a recruiter with no technical knowledge. I would basically ignore them and if you see a position you like, go for it and just ignore them altogether (don't put in a cover letter references to it like "I don't have the 10 required years but I am good with cats"). I would just judge postings overall as: this place is looking for a more junior role, or something more senior, or a someone with some working competancy in some language, or needs a very low level nitty gritty expert, etc.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

sarehu posted:

"Has a long commute" is in my experience a good predictor for what employees will quit, and is also was an explicit factor in hiring decisions at my first job.

I've never found this to be true. At my current and past job some of the most valuable people have hour+ commutes and have been around at least a couple of years. Ruling people out because of their commute is foolish if the candidate is mature and capable. Maybe worth a quick "Have you ever had to handle a long commute in the past" question and look out for red flags, but I don't see value in reading into it past that.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 3, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Every interviewer is different, some want to see any working solution followed by optimization. Others prefer you think it out and will see coding up an inefficient solution as you rushing into things and wasting time. Another factor is time management, if you take the time to explain your while thought process and walk through an initial solution and how you are going to optimize it, you might run out of time to actually implement it.

Sounds like overall you just hit an anti-interview loop.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

Welp, Google doesn't want me. That's disappointing, but fine. I'm excited about the team I'm going to work with at Amazon. I had a chat with my Amazon recruiter earlier today and wanted a few more days for Google's response, now I'll have to contact him again to go forward with the offer process.

What's the best way to handle it? I'm hesitant about going "Well Google rejected me so you're now my only option!" But lying about it and saying something like "I don't think Google will work out," also feels weird. Any advice?

Just say you're ready to make a decision and are excited to be going with Amazon. I did a similar thing recently and they didn't even ask about the other places I'd told them I was waiting for (E: not at amazon, your recruiter milage may vary).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I live in new york and I have a car. And it fuckin owns.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Waaaaaah

This is another example of how you're pretty insufferable and why you've been drummed out of the Boston thread.

huh, boston people really are like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

ahh I would trade so many of my "smart" coworkers for good natured people with social skills and a positive attitude