Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronotype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

Got a job! Thanks for all the good info, especially that negotiations article on the OP. let the imposter syndrome commence!

Awesome, it's pretty neat reading through your posts in this thread. From "I've been teaching myself" to "Here's some stuff for critique" to "I got a job". Way to go!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Year and a half post graduation with a CS degree. Not a ton of junior developer roles and I was suggested to look at QA or even desk support as a way to get my foot in the door for potential future development roles.

How do I practice for QA? What are things I could do to make me more desirable as a not developer but developer someday? or do I just keep practicing and just keep applying and float through this?

I would keep trying to land a dev job. Sure, you can get to developer from support or QA, but that is the long way around and it might even make it harder to get the first dev job -- some people will just see you as 'tech support' and ignore the degree. How many places have you applied to? Where are you located? Are you willing to relocate? How is your github and/or do you have some projects to show off?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't matter in my experience as someone that went to a small school (graduated as one of 17 csc students). Anyway, it really doesn't matter because you already attended the school you attended and you can't do anything about that now. ;) Apply to places you want to work at, not the places you think might take you. You don't want to work for someone that will only hire from 'schools they've heard of' or similar nonsense.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

n/m

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Grump posted:

The screening woman said, "If you were my nephew, I'd smack you. You should never tell a hiring manager that you're looking for a pay raise because entry level people usually expect more than they're actually worth and it just ends up pissing the hiring manager off."
She sounds wonderful. If I was in the right (wrong) mood I'd tell her boss about her threats of violence.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I got that one time,

"Tell me what this C code does"

C wasn't anywhere on my resume.

"Sorry, that's the only test we have"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Could you switch cities instead of switching careers?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, I dunno. Way I see it, the only project worth working on is one you have a real and compelling reason to do. In my experience, trying to do a project just for the sake of having a project and not something you're majorly committed to is likely to end up with you getting bored of it quickly and not actually finishing it or learning anything.

If you make something, it has to be something you really need. Otherwise, that spark and drive to complete it just isn't there - why bother when someone else has done it already, or done something better? You could say that the "need" in this case is "need to prove I can program and have the chops to back up my words", and that's kind of what I did when I first started programming, but that only goes so far.

I don't agree with this, it feels good to make something even if other people do it better. The same way it feels good to make furniture out of wood even though you could just go buy a better one and pay less.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

feedmegin posted:

You probably want to use something relatively mainstream unless you know the job/interviewer is likely to know clojure. 'Any language' doesn't mean 'go ahead and write it in Brainfuck or PDP-11 assembly language' after all. The important thing is that the interviewer can easily see what you're doing, algorithmically speaking.

Obviously varies based on the interviewer, but I'd be over the moon if someone produced a brainfuck fizz buzz or w/e. As long as they could explain it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

awesomeolion posted:

Good point. Difficult balance. I suppose the important part is doing it thoughtfully?

Yeah, just don't be a pest and always try to spend some time to find the answer on your own before you go ask.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

If I put projects on GitHub so an employer can see them, they're basically public for anyone to fork etc, right?

They're nothing special but then again I don't necessarily want to put them out in the open. Would I be better off sticking them n a blog or something and link them to that? Sure, people can get to the code but it's at least more obscure that way.

You could put a restrictive license on it. Or make them private ($8/mo I think) and invite whoever you are interviewing with as a collaborator.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Have you tried just saying "No" when she tries to take control back? I doubt she will use violence.

And if she does, problem solved after HR finds out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jesus that guy sucks, get him fired asap if you have a way to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I dunno, he's young, it sounds like an adventure. And if you hire him he doesn't need to worry about the education for a little bit at least; it's a batchelors and could be continued anywhere. A fair amount of people relocate to other countries without friends and family there.

Not that you shouldn't be wary, but I can understand where he is coming from.

e: also, "Let it be a lesson ... have some experience." rubs me the wrong way

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

I mean great, if you're looking to bus tables during a gap year. But when you're figuring it's a step up in your career but you have no social support system in place and literally no experience at all with international anything - the culture shock and isolation is bracing at best. Not saying that you *can't* do it - just that it takes a pretty specific sort and some indication of thoughtfulness and preparation.

Right, I have no idea how he presented himself in the interview. And its good advice to be prepared to answer questions about where you would relocate to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Put together some more data and charts and you've got a frontpage HN blog post on your hands.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.azfamily.com/news/pd-ne...5e91223099.html

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The only cool workplace cultures I've seen in Japan were all at small places (like 3-10 employees), not corporations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There are some great deals on 2-3 year old Lenovo business laptops.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Thanks!

How is a hashmap different than a dictionary (and also different from a hash table, they seemed to be used pretty interchangeably)?

Also, besides programming interviews, language developers, and it being nice to know, is there a reason you would want to implement your own hashmap as opposed to using the one built into the language (assuming it is)?

A hashmap is a way of implementing a dictionary, but basically the terms are interchangeable if you are speaking informally. You could, for example, use a BTreeMap instead of a HashMap. As to why to implement your own -- You might want to use a different hash function or a different method of handling collisions. Usually, though, you can change the hash function fairly easily (without replacing the entire data structure)

p.s. a hash table is an alternate name a hash map

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 18, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Grump posted:

Thanks - that totally makes sense.

Stuff like this is frustrating because until today I had no idea what an XSS attack is in my 2.5 years of writing JavaScript because it's an issue I never had to think about, but if those interviewers picked a different topic to quiz me on (closures, what "this" means, functional programming, the event loop), I would have impressed them.

Interviewing really sucks most of the time.

Pro: you get to learn some new stuff

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Could be cool if that also means he comes in at 6-7pm.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There is always someone better, but it's a crapshoot if they were invited to the same interviews, so you might as well not think about it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The way to get hired easily is to know someone. Which is about the same for every other industry as far as I know.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mniot posted:

I absolutely refuse to hire anyone who doesn't use C-a/C-e to jump to the beginning/end of the line. Think how much development time is wasted pressing the left and right arrow keys!

Wait until you hear about Home/End.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nyyen posted:

I took turtle basic in middle school?

Seriously though, you'll roll you eyes but I've done a bit of game modding that at least had me doing a lot of troubleshooting and having to pick up syntax and structure without any documentation. I didn't mention it because it really only shows I can stare at something long enough to figure out an existing structure and rule, and not create my own.

This is totally enough to decide you like it. And tons of people started out game modding. If you are serious about it, start trying to make something right away. You learn the most and will have an easier time finding resources when you have a specific problem to solve.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Computer touching has a long history of highly skilled self studied people, so the industry is pretty open if you appear to know what you are talking about.

e: actually maybe it's a short history, and we don't have the regulations around something like accountant, civil engineer, or surgeon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Grump posted:

1. At what point do I have to get out of this thread and switch to the oldies one?
It doesn't really matter :ssh:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

whatever you did to make it 1 per 2 could possibly be nested, then you get log

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

but I'm not in a position to be picky

To some extent you do want to make yourself memorable/notable/endearing to the reader over bland, though I imagine some people would argue the newbie resume isn't the place for it. Standing out in any particular way has a chance to be a negative with some portion of interviewers/companies, but it can also be a positive for some other portion (and neutral too). You have to weigh how much that is worth and fit with the company culture, but if you are already playing 'a numbers game' it seems worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It's a private medical condition, don't say anything.