Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Gazpacho posted:

A recruiter contact is only a first step and doesn't necessarily reflect the company's hiring intentions. The larger companies do relocate people to the bay, of course, but it's expensive for startups to do so.

Like I said, I've been contacted directly by friends from college who are hiring managers at firms in the area.
They're desperate for hires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation

Sarcophallus posted:

Having just been turned down from two interviews because 'they were only interested in local applicants', I can say that distance is certainly a factor in an application.

And why wouldn't it be? Most places already get hundreds of local applicants; why spend extra money to bring someone to interview and later move them to your location?
I'm 100% positive that most companies hire beyond their area all the time, but being local absolutely helps. I have gotten a roughly 75-90% response rate from companies within 50 miles of me, and probably 20-30% from those across the country.

Why? Because the expense of relocating an employee is peanuts compared to the total comp package for a half-decent dev.
Paying 20-30K for a relocation package is on the level of a headhunter's fee anyway so I'm not sure what the fuss is about...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation

Xguard86 posted:

Headhunters get a flat $ per person, so their incentive is to throw warm bodies at the wall as fast as possible without regard for much else.

Not really, most headhunters actually get paid a percentage of the candidate's annual salary by the employer.
As a hiring manager, I've seen it being between 20-40%.

I've used a headhunter in the past and they were very effective in cutting through HR/application bullshit and picking up interesting positions.
The coolest thing was seeing an employer offer me a 25% pay increase over my previous job, and the headhunter telling me to ask for 50% more - which worked.

It's in the interest of half-competent headhunters to build a life-long relationship with good candidates from the perspective of a) they have a better portfolio of candidates to display to employers, and b) they will make more money long-term by placing candidates through their career.