Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This thread could not have come at a better time. I just graduated with a CS degree, and I'm going through the process of getting me resume spruced up. I'm absolutely terrified, but excited because I'll (hopefully) get to do something besides IT crap now.

In the OP you mention knowing how to analyze run-times and similar things for algorithms. My algorithm analysis class was taught by a mumbling Chinese man who couldn't speak English to save his life (the class started with 5 people, ended with me and one other guy :C) So needless to say, I never REALLY learned much about the subject.
Where could I brush up on that?
And, how important is it really to an interview? (I guess that depends on the company)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Karanth posted:

Books are your friend
Oh yeah, like the algorithms book I used for that class... I forget that I have those sometimes :saddowns:

Cicero posted:

Big-O is easy and stuff

If it's really that easy, why did it take at least a week for my teach to explain it to us, hmm Mr. smarty pants? No, that's actually painfully simple. I kind of always suspected that's what it really boiled down to.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I've come to the realization that I'm quite possibly completely inept at looking for jobs. I'm having a hard time finding job listings for entry-level or low-experience positions.

St. Louis is, according to everyone I've talked to, one of the crappiest places to be working right now. Some people have suggested I look at recruiting companies (like Aerotek or Apex Systems, Inc), but I'm terribly afraid of ending up at some poo poo job (I AM A SNOWFLAKE).

Does anyone have experience with going through companies like that (and how terrible is it really)?
Also, where should I be looking if I want to find more than listings for recruiting companies?

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Here's a rather odd (to me) question.

I've got an interview this week for a position at a university, and they've asked me to "bring in between one line and one page of their favorite code to discuss. " It doesn't have to be code I've written, and it doesn't matter the language.

... So what on earth are they asking me for?

I don't really have any code that I've written that I think is worth showing off, and I can't think of anything I've read lately that was particularly clever. This is for a < 1 year experience position, so perhaps they're just wanting to make sure I'm not completely talking out my rear end?

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

I just had a phone interview, looking to relocate to St. Louis from the Baltimore/DC area. It seemed like a cool company, and I am coming with around a year at my current .NET position. The guy (I think he was their internal recruiter) said something to the effect of "We're trying to preserve that dynamic, start-up feel even though our company is growing - we have breakfast on mondays and lunch on wednesdays, everyone dresses casually, we wear jeans every day - and I've never worked any where with so many beards! HAHAHA!"

Then he lowballed me to the effect of 45k. So...I guess the beards are supposed to offset the horrendous salary?

I'm hoping that Stl doesn't have rates that bad and it's just this one company.

I just want to point out the fact that St. Louis has a much, much lower cost of living compared to somewhere like Baltimore/DC. I know this doesn't entirely illustrate the point, but glancing at homes on Zillow real quick, my home would be roughly double the price in Baltimore. Now, 45k still isn't great, but coming in with roughly a year of professional experience, I don't think that's an insultingly low starting salary bid for St. Louis.

That being said, the whole "trying to preserve start-up feel" thing sets off some red flags. When I hear companies saying things like that, it translates to "we're trying to hire some young kids who don't know their worth that we can pressure into working 60 hour weeks" in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The fact that they haven't responded to you or the staffing agency is kind of weird. Did you take the test? If not, then maybe they are just really incredibly slow (or they don't want to outright say "we're choosing not to consider you because of a drug test that you haven't taken"). If you're still interested in the job, shoot them an email if the other place gives you an offer, but other than that I wouldn't worry about them too much. It may be something completely unrelated--for all you know, someone's lovely nephew got the job.

And in the future, just buy some fake urine from a headshop or Amazon or something, then the issue of passing a drug test isn't a problem.