Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I'm billing out WordPress coding at $50/hour. Half of it is just building HTML and CSS templates. My best clients are web designers who don't want to write code anymore. However, I recently left a full-time job developing custom WordPress and CodeIgniter applications for $36,000/year in Minneapolis.

The key is to keep learning and improving your skills. Eventually I'll be up to $100/hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I saw this post on Hacker News when it first came out. It's definitely helped shift my views in a good way. This article is a must-read for all of us underpaid software engineers.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Just be honest and let him know: you have a stutter and it's something that comes out unusually strong in your nervousness during interviews. My last employer used Skype for everything anyway, even if we were sitting right next to each other. I think a lot of places are like that because of the popularity of open floor plans - everyone is wearing headphones.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I hope this is the right place. I read this thread all the time but I never thought I might need some advice. I am thinking about returning to full-time employment from working as a consultant and I would appreciate anyone to spot any glaring issues with my new resume. Refer to the *snip*. This is my real information so please don't spam me. :)

I am looking to do full-time web development in the Phoenix area (preferably something modern like Rails or Django) but I only have PHP work experience. I would probably be interested in doing more WordPress front-end web development too but it's a little boring.

This is meant to be paired with my online portfolio (work in progress) at *snip* (please no comments about the WordPress theme!)

Edit: I removed my personal information. Thanks everyone - I got the job.

Stoph fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2013

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

tef posted:

advice

Thanks a lot, I'll take these ideas into consideration as I revise and rework things next week. And when it comes to typography, I'm certainly a bit clueless sometimes. LateX renders really pretty words though!

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

So I'm in talks with an awesome potential employer, and he brings up my least favorite subject right away:

quote:

2) What sort of salary requirements are you looking for?

The position is listed from $45k (junior) to $70k (senior). Given my ~3 years of experience I am hesistant to call myself a Senior PHP/JavaScript developer however I do fully meet all of his upper limit requirements. I really want to do about $60k so am I okay in throwing out $60k to $70k as my range? Some people tell me that I should *never* give out numbers, and I don't want to mess this up!

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Is there a better phrasing to use for my education here?

https://github.com/BirdOfPlay

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I just got hired on for a similar salary and I got drilled pretty well. They had me do your basic programming quiz questions, including embarrassingly recursive stuff to see if I would pick up on that. They had me design classes and interfaces in a logical hierarchy, on the fly, as they specified attributes and requirements for the data model. They had me design a basic database schema including many-to-many relations. They had me solve a simple problem on JSFiddle to see how I would tackle it and whether I would choose the obvious algorithm and implement it correctly. It was all pretty low-stress and left me feeling that my coworkers were generally smart people overall.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

how!! posted:

It depends on the project. If your codebase is a 2 million line disasterpiece, then yes, expect any employees (even the superstars) 6 months before they can contribute anything useful.

Exactly. They might as well pay you to rewrite the codebase for 6 months. At least then they'd have brand new clean code. The databases can probably be re-used though - those are the most important part.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

it is posted:

I'm making an app for people who are interested in having sex with their friends, to facilitate the sex-mentioning process. Is this something to leave off my resume?

Is it Bang With Friends? http://bangwithfriends.com/

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

This may be an odd contribution in your context, but if you're not currently living in KCMO and considering living there, I personally consider it a pre-Austin in many respects; it has a disproportionate amount of interesting things for its size, while remaining extremely cheap to live in.

Disclaimer: I grew up there and now live in the SF Bay Area, but genuinely miss it.

Plus there's the whole Google Fiber thing.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

If you can only work 20 hours a week, then go for half of the normal salary for the position. 50% of $60,000 is still $30,000. If you have a figure in mind, don't hesitate to try and negotiate up to that. And don't let them pressure you into working more hours than you're able to handle. A question for the regulars here, what if he negotiated an equivalent hourly wage to make it easier to work flexible hours?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I would take the job and keep interviewing. I've seen people in your situation try to get a new job fast enough to scrub the undesirable position from their resume. An average employer deserves at least a year out of you, sure. But them, I'd say they don't.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Nice man. I have a similar worry about my job interview coming up, the flight leaves at 7:05 which means I need to be at the airport by 6 which means I need to be awake by 5, and I'm used to being in bed by 2 or 3. Best case scenario I get 4 hours of sleep on my 4 1/2 hour flight, and I'm still deficient.

I'm sitting here trying on dress shirts now. I had a 14 1/2 neck, 32/33 arm, but the shoulders didn't come out far enough, and the neck was too tight. I exchanged it for a 15 1/2 neck, 34/35 arm, and now the neck and shoulders are perfect, but the arms are too long. But the shoulder length is determined by arm length, right? I feel like I can't ever find any clothes that fit because I'm not fat enough.

I think you can find a tailor to fix those arms if the neck and shoulders are right. It shouldn't cost too much.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I'm doing 10-7 schedule as well. I was never told by my company what hours I need to work specifically but we do a standup scrum meeting daily at 10am so I show up slightly before those. I generally see my coworkers doing about 45 hours per week including an hour of lunch, anywhere between 7am and 7pm.

Edit: This is in Arizona.

Stoph fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 4, 2013

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Check salaries on Glassdoor. You might have lowballed yourself. The cost of living in Boston is extraordinarily high.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

This is the closest thread I can think to ask this. I'm going to be interviewing someone who would come in as my manager. I've got a pretty good idea how I'll approach it, but any advice from the regulars here?

"What kinds of procedures would you implement to ensure that we design everything correctly before we start writing code? How do you feel about the waterfall development model?"

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm so excited I get actual code reviews at the new place, for that matter. Now I won't feel like a total idiot if I want to put poo poo on github!

Code review has been one of my favorite things that my employer added since I started working here. I would definitely be more inclined to pick an employer that encourages or even demands peer review of all code.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm looking for some new personal projects to pick up that might help me get a better job. Something in C# probably, but I'm open to other things as well. What kind of projects impress employers, but are also plausible for someone to do on their own?

Over in web world a decent GitHub project is to build a gimmick SaaS with Stripe credit card integration. Bonus points if you build it as a single page application with a REST API. Bonus points if your repository provides bootstrap instructions with Vagrant and a configuration management tool like Chef.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Don Mega posted:

Yeah he also gave information on how to set up cygwin on Windows, but it just stood out to me as an ignorant/irrelevant thing to point out.

With how many (funded?) startups have you been personally involved?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

When does a place go from "startup" to "small company"?

I think you need to look at the company's revenue forecast. Once the massive growth period is over, the company starts to slow down and the projections look a lot less like an asymptote into infinite revenue.

Stoph fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2013

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

It sounds like the company is over compensating for not knowing how to interview programming applicants. Is cheating on a remote interview such a big deal? I thought that's the reason to call someone in for an in-person interview.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Ask recruiters for recommendations from the programmers they have placed. There should be a Yelp for recruiters.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I write my resume in markdown and also send a PDF rendering of the plain text. It seems to work well - everyone can read plain text markdown format.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

The solution is simple - tell your boss you are literally never going to work more than 40 hours a week if that is the truth. He will pay you accordingly. You'll still make a poo poo-ton of money working in finance.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

Is there a standard way to politely ask for a reference? Do I just email my supervisor from my internship (ended eight months ago, he told me I could use him as a reference) and say "hey, I'm using you as a reference, just fyi!" or do I ask for permission first? Do I bother him with information about the place/role I'm applying for or just ask if I can use him as a reference?

Why not ask him for a letter of recommendation? That's a great way to break the ice and pretty standard.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

You may be able to intern at my company over at 6th and Mill in Tempe, Arizona. I'll send you a message.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

shrughes posted:

I had a new coworker who's actually been around for a year now suffix a function name with _p because it returns a bool. New professional programmers just do these crazy things and I don't know how to get them to understand without beating it out of them.

Can you perhaps elaborate on his rationale here...?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Dotcom656 posted:

I was contacted recently by a recruiter over linkedin who told me their client was looking for a C# developer in (city 2 hours away) for 10 weeks over the summer. I had a initial phone conversation with her since I was looking for an internship for this summer anyway, and I didn't have any offers yet. She couldn't tell me over the phone who the client was, but that they were a financial software company, and I would be offered $15 an hour with a completion bonus that would be retroactively paying $18 an hour. The general work I was told I would be doing is starting off fixing bugs in the software and working up to writing code for production. Are there any red flags I should be looking for currently or could this be a real opportunity?

Red flag is they're only paying $15-18/hour. That's ballpark $36,000 a year for a financial client, the highest paying sector of the industry. Completion bonus is because they've had so many poorly paid schmucks quit on them after realizing they sold their souls into slavery.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

TLDR: What can I put into a Java/ Android portfolio that would show employers that I can actually code even if I don't have a CS degree? I mean I'm finishing up a rock-paper-scissors game right now and the only difficult part of that is UI development.

An actual app on Google Play Store that they can download.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Flashing Twelve posted:

My biggest worry is that 9 months on the job before leaving will look terrible on my resume. Is there kind of a special exemption because it's my first job? If so, would I be obligated to do 18 months/2 years in the new job? I plan on leaving (and not returning to) my city in about a years time.

You really should just stick it out to make it an even year. Even if that means Jan 29 - Jan 1, you can still write Jan 2014-Jan 2015 on your resume. It looks a LOT better to not have 9 month stints on your resume - my lovely resume haunts me to this day.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the trick to getting paid what you're worth is to want the job, not need the job.

I think salary range is worth clarifying before making a significant investment (multiple hours of potentially wasted time) in your job application.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Is it normal for companies to mail you an "offer letter" and make you wait to receive it to find out what the contents are? I've only been doing this 4-5 years but in my experience, the offer letter is usually just a thing you use to get past your landlord's credit check. Sometimes I negotiated salary on the phone, other times via email, but I've never had anyone say, "Well Stoph, your offer letter is coming via snail mail, so let us know what you think when it gets there."

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

And it's a good thing I didn't go with my "way above range" $60k signing bonus as the first number, since that would have been just a tiny bit more than the one I've been offered.

There are really signing bonuses like this? $60,000 for a mid-level position?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Skuto posted:

How do you acquire this knowledge without doing it on your own time? I don't think you can.

You lower your hourly rate... This sounds like the definition of an internship.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

Offer deadline is Wednesday.

It seems to me like they're the ones who have to reach out to you. You already declined their lovely rear end first offer. You should let them know you are going to take a different company's offer within X days so they know your offer has a deadline too.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Puella Magissima posted:

My question is, how much should I ask for when I go back this summer? This is a kinda informal internship at a small company in rural nowhere, so I'm not expecting all that much, but I'm thinking $16 is reasonable.

The answer is always the same: as much as possible. $20 is pretty reasonable too. That's only like $40,000/year - a pretty decent junior level salary out in the country.

Run the numbers yourself and present them to your boss. If they earned $2M last year in gross sales, and your contributions helped increase sales by (let's say) ~10%, then you have a case for better pay on your hands.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Applying for an enterprise job, wondering if anyone has experience integrating Webpack and Spring WAR deployment.

A cursory Google search turns up JHipster (a Yeoman generator template): http://jhipster.github.io/

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

kloa posted:

Speaking of un-sexiness, is it bad if I'm perusing other jobs out there for ones that offer casual attire 24/7 - at least jeans, if not t-shirts too? I enjoy everything about my job minus the fact that I have to wear business casual everyday but Friday.

Perhaps they would be open to you as a telecommuter... except on Fridays, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I also did all of my school coding in Java and C++. Should I stick with those for now, or would it pay to branch out? I feel like branching out is more for people who already know how to code well. Kind of like a good musician will learn a new instrument faster than a beginner.

There's a lot of instruments in the world. Look at all the job listings on dice.com for your area and make a portfolio that demonstrates you would be a good candidate for the kinds of junior developer roles that appeal to you. The language depends a lot on what domain you want to break into (e.g. web development, embedded programming, systems administration, enterprise GUI applications, etc.).