Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jamie Faith posted:

Neither? Like I said I was playing on the PS3 version so no mods lol

i mean the title still fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Several overpowered perks weren't changed in Jsawyer, like and stay back/super slam, but vigilant recycler is fine IMO. Keep in mind the "max charge" variant deals more damage, so you're trading a perk and 20% damage for vastly decreased weapon wear and higher ammo efficiency. It's usually a good trade, especially for players who hate Dead Money and aren't swimming in weapon repair kits.

Crit stacking is super strong in New Vegas and energy builds are no exception. The humble Laser Rifle with the split beam mod and all crit enhancing perks becomes a very efficient murder stick.

Totally agree on VR being a good perk as is now that I've actually looked at the various energy ammos. It's good value for a perk point as you say.

Definitely going for a crit build with Light Touch, looks like fun.

Huh, so using Voracious Reader to get infinite +10% crit chance magazines is a thing?

Not a bad fit for a scientist!

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Voracious reader works in this build. I find it tedious to use and mostly overkill, but if it fits your character, go for it.

Keep in mind both Light Touch and Laser Commander are flat modifiers, which means they'll always give +15% crit chance no matter what the multiplier is on your weapon. This can be bad (most semi-auto laser weapons) or good (laser RCW, laser gatling). +15% crit is still really good value anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there are no medium armor-specific perks, are there?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

There's "In Shining Armor", which does exactly nothing without a fix. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i never realized ranger and recon armors qualified

e:also i forgot or never knew the chinese stealth suit was in FNV.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rinkles posted:

i never realized ranger and recon armors qualified

e:also i forgot or never knew the chinese stealth suit was in FNV.

There's a room in Hoover Dam with some

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is hidden pretty well. Hoover Dam needs some better signage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FNV has a couple areas that are too big for their own good. perhaps the scale is more realistic, but it results in a lot of boring walking across mostly empty areas.

on the topic of hoover dam, i think before this playthrough i didn't know that fantastic gets promoted there if you help him out at helios (i usually go for the big book of science).

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Jamie Faith posted:

There's a room in Hoover Dam with some

Is that in the base game? I found that once years ago, but I always figured it was added by FOOK or Project Nevada or whatever mod I was using at the time that's dated as poo poo now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's way way off in some boxes in a corner if I'm remembering right. I think it was a pretty neat little bit of storytelling, saboteurs taking out hoover dam would be a massive blow to the southwest.

Hell maybe it's in retaliation for the US taking out three gorges or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it has t.he stealth field from 3 though. Just a bonus to sneak

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Is that in the base game? I found that once years ago, but I always figured it was added by FOOK or Project Nevada or whatever mod I was using at the time that's dated as poo poo now.

Yes it is in fact in the base game! :)

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it has t.he stealth field from 3 though. Just a bonus to sneak

This is correct.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Stealth Suits being there are a reference to Van Buren I believe. The idea there was that Chinese agents first released the New Plague at Hoover or something like that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Are there any lovely bugs that still need to be fixed if I have the Viva New Vegas setup? I'm mostly looking for issues that you wouldn't know were there on your own like perks not doing what they say, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Are there any lovely bugs that still need to be fixed if I have the Viva New Vegas setup? I'm mostly looking for issues that you wouldn't know were there on your own like perks not doing what they say, etc.

I think VNV should have most of that sort of thing covered

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thanks my bubby

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

May have said this already, but it's great to see just how sophisticated modding has gotten for this great game. My final run of adding mods was going over the mods of people like PushTheWinButton, miguick, etc.

Like this Meltdown NVSE Upgrade mod which redoes the perk - the tweaks are well implemented and thorough, even if smart targeting does kinda beggar belief. But they have 3 pages of mods on the Nexus of that caliber in idea and implementation.

Also great is how modular the more recent waves of mods seen to be, more script and configuration driven than the larger overhauls of old. There's also more explicit recognition of and cooperation between many of these modular mods, which makes them even more modular.

Took a final look around with FNVEdit and beyond merging or forwarding a few things in patch mods of my own, it wasn't anywhere near as messy as when I last ran the game where stuff like FOOK-PN Convergence were attempting to make multiple huge overhaul mods work together. Also helped by the multiple modders who seem to specialize in modular compatibility patches, which is cool in itself.

I too seem to have grown to prefer simplicity and modularity and didn't include Simple Strip/Freeside Open as they bring so much potential for incompatibility and weirdness later in the game. But there's also less desire on my part to completely overhaul core game mechanics, jsawyer does a great job of that already. That's a big change coming from a game like CP 2077 where core gameplay is just a mess and modders are just starting to get stuck into rebalance and gameplay mods.

Used the spreadsheet mod to plan my character which made it much easier to get a feel for skill points needed - that sheet is highly recommended, it's very well done and gave me a better view of my build than I usually have. Neat how the game emphasizes skills over SPECIAL in many ways. The sheet showed just how generous the game is with skill points even with jsawyer's 35 level cap. I could get by with INT 4 or 5 + Educated even with wanting to push ancillary skills like Barter to 70 for Pack Rat and stuff. Even lower if I wanted to micro with Comprehension. But I left it at 6+Educated to front load early skill points, leave the option to try out another weapon class or Voracious Reader if I want to - and because there is no huge need for that point elsewhere even without rushing the implants or other metagaming. Not being so reliant on starting stats but rather where you invest perk and skill points so you get to feel the character growth is just great design.

It's neat how one of jsawyer's big changes in tightening the game and your build is to drop level cap and therefore number of perks and skill points. Implies the base game is already balanced well in the small, it just let you pick a lot more of the things it has to let you be more powerful. Hardcore mode already existing in the base game is neat, along with jsawyer's tweaks to needs and weight making perks like Pack Rat a meaningful choice. Basically, the dozens of mods I'm running are all built around good old jsawyer which I think is pretty loving cool really.

Now I just have to play the game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wasn't aware of LOOT's group feature until yesterday. You can assign mods to pre-defined groups or to ones you define yourself. LOOT has an internal priority graph for these groups that defines ordering within the final plugin order. For e.g., there's a pre-defined Merges group that's the very last in the graph. A Weather and Lighting group precedes it and is second last.

Dropping my merges into that group and Realistic Wasteland Lighting Revised into Weather lets LOOT do the right thing in a simpler to manage way than using Order After.

I'm using LOOT because static load order lists are just too annoying to manage. Prefer letting LOOT do its thing then generating small merge patches in FNVEdit as I need to. It doesn't need to generate perfect load orders, just consistent ones that are easy to tweak in the large.

E: I'd seen the groups before, not the graph it uses for ordering them. It'll show you the ordering visually if you click around under the 3-dot menu in the top right.

E: It's a pity BASH tags kind of slowly died out as a means to get somewhat reasonable auto-generated merged patches even if they weren't and even couldn't be perfect. Using BASH tags to say pick Light records from this mod and this other record from this other mod was a powerful feature that got you a long way towards a decent merge patch and you could use xEdit to fill in the rest to your own taste. You could also add tags of your own to mods to override selections. Not many mods have tags these days, though a few still do, and it's only used for leveled lists, sadly.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 4, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm a little bastard who found my problem right after posting about it. the mod itself even warns of this but there are some funky terrain mismatch issues between ENB presets and 'Improved Lighting Shaders'

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 5, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I was getting the same problem and landed up disabling ILS for now - it's a cool idea but I want screen space ambient occlusion and indirect lighting from ENB and the two don't co-exist well.

Not running an ENB preset, just the base ENB with SSAO / SSIL enabled and everything else set to use the game's lighting. This description is still current, except I use SMAA instead of ENB's EdgeAA: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m always tempted by ENB, and think that this time I’ll make it work, but I inevitably end up uninstalling it. Besides stability issues, it just didn’t look right to me. Some stuff is improved, but the game’s art direction wasn’t made with it in mind and it shows.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ENB presets that change the lighting/color in the game will definitely mess with the game's art direction. I'm not using one of those, instead I just enable ENB's ambient occlusion and better shadows code which adds a bit more depth to the scene while keeping it fully vanilla in terms of color and even lighting - it doesn't tweak any of that at all.

The effect isn't heavy and comes with a performance cost - though not as much as normal ENB presets that do a lot of processing - but I really dislike flat, no-shadows lighting in games. ENB is pretty heavy-handed approach whose criticisms are all warranted and which sucks up a lot of resources - but it's the only decent attempt at it for these older games, so ...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The AO often doesn’t look right, IMO.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it's a very shallow effect for sure. It's using screen space - which is to say it can only compute based on what lighting it can see on the screen at that moment plus the sun - so it's very much a poor approximation compared to full ray-tracing which is coming from actual light sources.

So you get all the weird effects that come with being screen space, like shadows disappearing as you turn and the lighting changes.

But I still prefer having it to not, it adds some much needed depth for me.

Running a more recent GPU (RX 5700) that can render FNV with bells and whistles on at 3440x1440 means I have GPU to spare and more for this kind of thing, so that's another factor in running it. E: I hover around 40-50% GPU with ENB off even in busy outdoors scenes, so might as well let ENB use up the rest of that 50-60% for some small AO shadows :downs:

Here's what I'm currently using if anyone wants to try it. It's ENB v451 for FNV with the tweaks listed at that Skyrim link above. Also includes SMAA: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aGAlvVrkqQrpEOHoO6Yr0AKCILKH9yva/view?usp=sharing

Shift + END will toggle the ENB on and off, so you can see the changes it is doing. Shift + Page Down will bring up the ENB editor - suggest going to the game's menu with ESC before doing this.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 5, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn’t mean AO in general, just how it ends up looking in NV with ENB. And not always; sometimes it adds a lot to a scene. There’s just enough occasions when I think it’s detrimental that I don’t want to run it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think you're right there, the ENB SSAO/SSIL looks way better in FO4 than in FNV. As someone said a page or so ago, FNV doesn't have much in the way of a dynamic lighting engine while FO4 does and that's probably the big difference.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Easy Pete died defending Goodsprings, a place free from NCR, Legion and now, Joe Cobb. I now have to go for No Gods, No Masters to honor his sacrifice in a cause he believed in.

I kinda feel bad for not using a Mentat and a book to get Chet to cough up some Leathers for the Goodspringers. Barter 14 is what made me cheap out, if it had been 15 I would've definitely used the book to talk to the dude.

Ready to leave Goodsprings, this modded set up feels good. Game is still as good as I remember too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

one of these days i'll do a legion run. one of these days...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i love the ENB and fuckin' up the art direction super bad. it's me, the person who is runnin' with the super hosed up cat in that ENB + texture pack meme

anyways, the frontier report part 4, wall of text world incoming:

i finally explored most of the map and ran into a bunch of stuff, including the crusaders and the 1 creepy char i knew already (america) from all the noise when the mod first came out. she immediately gives off those vibes, down to one of your very first dialogue choices upon meeting her being a 50 speech check where you call her a 'worthless bitch' for some reason. in general it's absolutely hilarious that the crusaders are the anime/asian waifu faction, down to one of their major reps having massive boobplate armor w/ the of 'hey this char was probably written as a fetish' signal firing off mad hard in her bein' partially lobotomized by elijah to Have Problems With Emotions. they seem vaguely interesting in the scope of being another 'evil' faction (more or less, given that half of my companions basically immediately ejected themselves from my party the instant i joined them on top of failing a bunch of quests automatically) that isn't the legion but yeah.

there was one really cool standout quest where you go to a hunter's lodge - you start off doin' cute little hunts in the big back area hunting grounds of the lodge, first vs. rabbits then bighorners. you actually have to chase dogs/foxes around to track 'em until they pop up on the radar. then the obvious 'hey, the third hunt is the most dangerous game: MAN' except the guy bein' hunted just asks you to help him and you can tell 'em 'hey this is hosed up' and they go 'alright, if you're not cool with it then we'll just let him go'. you end up eatin' dinner with them and then while leaving the room you see the butler run up on you and you get the 'you got knocked out!' kinda thing for the conclusion: you're set up to be hunted by the same hunters (4 of 'em) that you were competing against in the same hunting ground. you get a 3 minute head start where you have nothing to try and gather materials and set up traps (i found 1 landmine) alongside setting up a good position with the bear traps laid out across the map.

in my searching i was able to find a pistol with a single bullet, 2 throwing spears, 2 throwing hatchets, some throwing bricks and one landmine. once the 3 minutes are up the hunters start coming after you - the first beelines towards your location with the hunting dogs. afterwards it's just a combination of different gimmicks culminating in a stealth fielded guy taking potshots at you. overall it's not super long or tedious and clever in it's setup in how the initial hunts let you learn the layout of the map and trap locations!

anyhow, after bumblin' my way through most of the map i ended up going back to the NCR campaign and hoo boy. so, the second chapter involves this really godawful tank section where you're swarmed by vehicles - this would actually be a vaguely entertaining section if it didn't take 5-8 direct hits from the tank's main cannon to loving blow up a small rear end buggy or a regular car. given the sheer number of enemies coming at you on top of that, it went from 'this is cool' to 'what the gently caress is this?' extremely fast. it's revealed that randomly the enclave is here and has the archimedes 2 death ray just zapping fools so you somehow end up detouring hard into that. afterwards was some funny stuff where the NCR campaign briefly delves into the open world and you get a walking tour of one of the major towns, with the game not really accounting for you having already having gone there and done stuff with. just a cute 'lil lack of interactivity since one of the merchants that's part of it is one you're likely to visit and buy from a bunch since they're the second-largest gun store in the mod.

you end up bein' sent off to explore the open world after a stealth segment a bit as to pick up some items needed to Go To Space and hoo boy, there's where chapter 3 starts. it's basically just a giant scripted section full of silly cliches/ripped scenarios from other games that is just absolutely beyond impressive at a technical level - basically every area of it has multiple completely insane tricks/sections that are like 'how the gently caress did they do this in the FNV engine'. like, there's one portion where you end up in proper outer space moonjumping your way back to the space station on debris, where you then are forced to do the dead space asteroid shooting minigame which is bookended by a sequence where you zero-gravity wade your way through the airlock which has a shitton of floating stuff that then all drops down when you shut the blast door. pretty much every single section is like that kind of 'what in the gently caress' type of thing. i kinda really love this section even though it's pretty much just the FO3 alien dlc but actually cool. i think a lot of the NCR campaign has that linear vibe of the FO3 dlc (barring point lookout) down to what operation anchorage is vs. what the general NCR campaign was in the first two chapters.

there's one part that really stood out to me even though it's probably not super complicated from a technical standpoint - you're in the Red Lighting horror part of the station with a bunch of zombie-lookin' corpses around and end up in a narrow hallway packed with 'em. it's an obvious setup where you try to open the door and the zombies come to life, which is like, sure. however, the instant you kill a single zombie (the slow, high dmg kind) the paneling on the walls bust and more zombies start pourin' out of the walls. it's such a tiny subversion but it really stuck with me.

anyhow, after a bunch of more scripted poo poo and a hilarious 'moral choice!' section where you gotta choose which one of your teammates that you know nothing about gets executed (who then, unsurprisingly, turns into a Science Horror Project boss later on in the mission!) you end up doin' even more crazy scripted poo poo including a corny nightmare horror sequence, a shmup/basketball boss fight with Not Mother Brain and a space sim dogfight.

there's also a survival sequence thing where you get a few minutes to search an area and set up turrets to fight off incoming enemies, which randomly includes Literally A Titan From Titanfall and Pretty Much Lickers From Resident Evil because why not.

probably the overall strangest element is how they seemed to gain some sense of self-awareness with the wild wasteland stuff during this because a lot of the eye-rolling sequences are followed by stupid little jokes - see the funeral for the Not Self-Insert Badass Squad That Died For You bein a full on funeral cutscene with like a full minute of TAPS playing and the 16 gun slate and all that poo poo goin' on ending with a "press F to pay respects" popup or the "hey, you found one of your missing teammates in the horror space station! too bad he's a lobotomite now and barely cognizant enough to beg for death after you initially meet him!' obvious setup ending with wild wasteland makin' him do a silly dance while your teammate goes 'this is a fate worse than death... you gotta put him out of his misery!!'.

i think the way i approached the mod progression is probably a large part of why i enjoyed the space station because so much of it is not only impressive from a technical level, but actually well-done from a 'this is a neat experience' level regardless of the writing being, you know, what it is. there's like practically no integration at all with the open world but that's fine since i already explored so much of it and did so many quests.

finding out that somehow the space station isn't the final chapter despite you doin' all of that stuff and the final boss fight there bein' ridiculous is real interesting. i have no idea how they're going to scale things back down from 'the enclave in space is gonna wipe all life off the face of the planet' to 'fight these idiot legion people' or change the tone from space horror back to Not MGS/saving private ryan.

most importantly: i found a companion that's just a cute spider with a backpack and it rules. it's apparently bugged somehow because it follows you everywhere, including the scripted sequences. so in the nightmare dream sequence where you're supposed to do mario platforming poo poo on shifting blocks that are falling into lava behind you, i just equipped the enclave armor i gave to it that has jetpacks and jetpacked my way through that segment while laughin' my rear end off. since it's practically invincible and has a perk that makes enemies extremely likely to attack it, it more or less tanked through a ton of of 'miniboss' sections which was even more hilarious.

oh also i found ghoul jesus

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I SAID HE DOESNT LOOK A THING LIKE GHOUL JESUS

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if anybody does happen to be an ENB fiend then feel free to recommend your preset(s)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mojave Sandy Desert is neat if you want less trees and more desert in your Mojave. I switched over to the Vanilla tree replacer version of Vurt's WFO and then found that mod which goes a bit further by removing 8 tree types found in the desert areas along with adding some browner dirt textures.

It's all very brown, but I'm liking it as a good change.

E: Pics on the mod page are using some lighting mod to make it all much bleaker than it looks in my game where I'm using RWL Redesigned for lighting.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 7, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One mod I consider near essential to my playthroughs is the Existence 2.0 radio. "Experimental ambient terror" is the perfect soundtrack to scavenging the desolate Mojave.

Just be aware that the station's robot DJ says some pretty bleak things, including references to self harm. I love most of it though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about that mod - thanks for the reminder, gonna add it in.

Their CONELRAD station was neat too, though I think I'll skip it for this run. Used it for my first complete run, goes well with the game's existing radio.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

E: Pics on the mod page are using some lighting mod to make it all much bleaker than it looks in my game where I'm using RWL Redesigned for lighting.

Any idea why this is no longer (easily) available? (I know you can get it through the VNV github repository, like you mentioned earlier)

v1ld posted:

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about that mod - thanks for the reminder, gonna add it in.

Their CONELRAD station was neat too, though I think I'll skip it for this run. Used it for my first complete run, goes well with the game's existing radio.

Yeah personally that ended up being a bit too many oldies for my taste. And the selection was so on the nose.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

No idea about RWL Redesigned's history, why it was redesigned or why it was hidden. I'm pretty sure it came out after the last time I modded FNV.

I used URWLNV last time I played, it was pretty good. And Project Reality before that, but it had a reputation for slowing down your game even then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you know if there's a way to reduce the excessive yellow/oranginess of nighttime lights? I know Nevada Skies can oversaturate colors, but I had the same issue with Altitude. Is it better with RWL?

[An excuse to post some more screenshots] these might stray pretty far from the original look of NV, but some of the special NS climates are really cool imo.

last one's slightly less special

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 7, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Saw a discussion in the Altitude comments on the yellow lights and Qolor said they couldn't fix that for window lighting without significant changes elsewhere. This may be the same issue.

Here's the same night scene with RWL and Altitude - ENB SSAO/SSIL is enabled too.

Altitude

RWL

I thought RWL had a smoother color contrast between sky and ground when I was testing before starting this run. That was compared to Altitude and Nevada Skies. But it wasn't some exhaustive test, just flipping weather mods while adding others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is from the Altitude comments, page 1: