Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

are there any mods that expand on melee mechanics by adding stuff like parries or directional attacks having different effects? I never played an elder scrolls but I imagine oblivion had more in depth melee combat than NV though it sounds like they stripped a lot of the code out which is why we also never got a cowboys on horseback mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a Dead Money rehaul that recently came out. I might play through it once for giggles though I suspect it'll be, you know. Personally I really like being stripped of my arsenal and made to scramble and use everything I've got on me, but I think having to manage the collars AND the fog is a little much. The fog probably would've been good enough.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I never played an elder scrolls but I imagine oblivion had more in depth melee combat than NV

Hahahaha no. It had way less! There were no special moves. Only basic attack, charged attack, and block. That's it. Ditto for Skyrim too!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrancisFukyomama posted:

are there any mods that expand on melee mechanics by adding stuff like parries or directional attacks having different effects? I never played an elder scrolls but I imagine oblivion had more in depth melee combat than NV though it sounds like they stripped a lot of the code out which is why we also never got a cowboys on horseback mod

Some mods to consider.

Melee Cleave (a.k.a. Sweep)
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66187

Melee Reach Fixed
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57729

Unarmed And Melee Revolution
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64150

Slower but Stronger Melee Weapons Trait
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/72137

e;
Always loved the Light My Flare mod, also really liking the Rework with GRA fix and DLC intigrations that refines it even further.

Seems to also be playing nice with Nevada Arsenal that give flareguns to npcs in the Mojave. Just a small issue of instead of npcs having the flares used by the new flare gun they get flamer fuel that is useless to them.

Should be a simple fix to edit out the flamer fuel drop rate with the Light my Flare variants.
Cause GECK to crash with my first attempt tho :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 19, 2021

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like Dead Money and enjoy the story telling. Also Dean is a oval office and the hardest "boss" for a speech courier I've found.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My current run is a an unarmed run, and it's surprisingly fun. If you haven't done a melee/unarmed run before, you really owe it to yourself to try. There's something really special about running up to a charging Deathclaw and VATS punching it so hard that it's head flies off in a single blow.

Too bad the Deathclaw Gauntlet is like 85% into Lonesome Road. I always like doing LR just before the endgame because of how its ending goes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hunter perk is pretty important too when dealing with non-humanoid enemies, get that ASAP.

https://i.imgur.com/8Dde3s1.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bogart posted:

There's a Dead Money rehaul that recently came out. I might play through it once for giggles though I suspect it'll be, you know. Personally I really like being stripped of my arsenal and made to scramble and use everything I've got on me, but I think having to manage the collars AND the fog is a little much. The fog probably would've been good enough.

it looks a little all over the place and not at all what was missing from DM, imho

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

What the gently caress

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I am playing through F3 and the expansions as melee, and I gotta say Operation Anchorage really sucks

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Rinkles posted:

it looks a little all over the place and not at all what was missing from DM, imho

Is that one that straight up added amnesia monsters and the scrake from killing floor

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Are MUTE tits a rip from another game assets also?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Here's the Dead Money overhaul that's been discussed if you want to see what's in it: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/72139?tab=description I never actually saw the pictures until now but the massive list of changes including "39 new weapons" made me a bit skeptical and the picture Rinkles linked isn't helping.

There's also this new fast travel encounter mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73879

It looks promising although I would personally prefer if the encounters occurred in the world instead of through the menu.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That dead money overhaul is only missing the loving kitchen owb sink.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear -- I want to try it because it looks bad.

Dreamsicle posted:

There's also this new fast travel encounter mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73879

It looks promising although I would personally prefer if the encounters occurred in the world instead of through the menu.

Tried it for a little bit the other day. Got a random event that gave me an alcohol addiction. Didn't even have any booze on me. Also it lags the poo poo out of the pipboy when you bring it up.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fallout: New Vegas - I want to try it because it looks bad. (Modding Thread)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Another FNV run has foundered in Dead Money. I don't know what it is because I like Dog/God and Dean and Christine and their dialog and the backstory and everything but I can't motivate to move forward.

Maybe it's just that I like the base game a helluva lot and have been enjoying the progression in it - having everything be taken away to go play this other thing, excellently written though it may be, is not what I wanted to play. HH was another story in the same game I started.

I'm not going to throw away the install, hopefully I'll come back to it soon.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I joined the frontier team around the time they started the rework, and they needed to replace one of the ugly Unity asset robots. So my particular work has been that, and I'm happy to be able to finally show off this thing.
Hopefully it'll be enjoyable!

https://twitter.com/FNVTheFrontier/status/1451660814360977408?t=YypvhsraXYlT-uJuWRw_1g&s=19

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where do I insert my “management rod” :) looks good!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Another FNV run has foundered in Dead Money. I don't know what it is because I like Dog/God and Dean and Christine and their dialog and the backstory and everything but I can't motivate to move forward.

Maybe it's just that I like the base game a helluva lot and have been enjoying the progression in it - having everything be taken away to go play this other thing, excellently written though it may be, is not what I wanted to play. HH was another story in the same game I started.

I'm not going to throw away the install, hopefully I'll come back to it soon.

not sure if this is learning to let go, or the opposite (but yeah i've nearly dropped DM mid way through before as well. it gets frustrating in a way that has nothing to do with horror or suspense)

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I joined the frontier team around the time they started the rework, and they needed to replace one of the ugly Unity asset robots. So my particular work has been that, and I'm happy to be able to finally show off this thing.

https://twitter.com/FNVTheFrontier/status/1451660814360977408?t=YypvhsraXYlT-uJuWRw_1g&s=19

cool. does look distinctly more FO2 than 4.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dead Money was really hard for me to finish the first time around. The cloud and collar were a big damper on how much enjoyment I got out of the characters and story (which I liked a lot!)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the first time through dead money made me unnerved and uncomfortable, and like a scrounging fiend who spent minutes at a time combing over really small buildings. pretty awesome but i wouldn't have liked it without the quicksave/quickload parachute available. never played any fallout on a console so i'm not sure how much of a pain that is there

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I want a mod that makes Dead Money harder honestly. I always find myself oversupplied with bullets for the WW2 gun and stimpaks, but then I have to fight myself to keep from looting every single thing in my path. Of course at the same time I wish you could get a shotgun way earlier, it'd be very satisfying to blow those Ghost nerds away and as far as I remember you can't get one until the hotel suites.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This looks cool!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Any chance this gets ported to regular New Vegas?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that a Mad Cat?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Proletarian Mango posted:

Any chance this gets ported to regular New Vegas?

No idea, I'm not a scripter, I'm just handling the art side of the thing (modelling/textures/animations).

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that a Mad Cat?

No, though I can see why you'd say that.
I've actually shortened the front of it based on feedback, so it looks notably less weird now.

The idea was to stick to the original model's skeleton, but that sorta fell apart when I realized how weird the skeleton was. It was intended to function similiar to the FO2 Sentrybot, so it has rockets, bullet guns in the arms, and a beam weapon, though I designed it with the beam weapon in the torso (the big eye looking thing). The actual head is the driver cupola looking thing on top, which was partly due to the torso being based on a bunch of tank and Metal Slug designs. The little sub-arms was entirely my idea, just because I thought it'd be neat if it could manipulate things and move debris out of it's way in an articulate manner. In the end it means it will maybe have a melee attack now, on top of everything else, haha.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that a Mad Cat?

Timberwolf :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The little sub-arms was entirely my idea, just because I thought it'd be neat if it could manipulate things and move debris out of it's way in an articulate manner. In the end it means it will maybe have a melee attack now, on top of everything else, haha.

I love the little manipulator arms! My immediate read, looking at this picture, was of an industrial exosuit that's been redesigned (not just retrofitted, actually redesigned) for combat operations, but that doesn't quite fit the Fallout tech timeline. A robot makes a lot more sense. I also immediately thought of it being used in space, as a kind of EVA suit, partly due to the bits of the Frontier plot I've heard of, and because the little grabby hands reminded me a bit of the pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Anyway, looks great, and when I actually read your description of what its loadout is, I can see it all pretty clearly in the model. Are the rockets just supposed to be in the two pods at the top, or also behind the circular bits just inward from the shoulders? (The clavicles of the robot, for lack of a better term.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Vavrek posted:

I love the little manipulator arms! My immediate read, looking at this picture, was of an industrial exosuit that's been redesigned (not just retrofitted, actually redesigned) for combat operations, but that doesn't quite fit the Fallout tech timeline. A robot makes a lot more sense. I also immediately thought of it being used in space, as a kind of EVA suit, partly due to the bits of the Frontier plot I've heard of, and because the little grabby hands reminded me a bit of the pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Anyway, looks great, and when I actually read your description of what its loadout is, I can see it all pretty clearly in the model. Are the rockets just supposed to be in the two pods at the top, or also behind the circular bits just inward from the shoulders? (The clavicles of the robot, for lack of a better term.)

I think I designed the arms based on something else, but I can't quite remember what it was. maybe a gundam thing or something I'd seen on a research submarine.
As for those cylinders... I kinda didn't have a good idea for what they were? I just sorta thought of them as the arm motors or something like that. It's one of those hold-over elements from when I was looking at Metal Slug stuff for silhouette shapes. Either way, they're not meant to open.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that a Mad Cat?

It's what happens when a Mad Cat and an ED-209 get too familiar with each other.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

No idea, I'm not a scripter, I'm just handling the art side of the thing (modelling/textures/animations).

Is this being made exclusively for the frontier project or could you release the assets yourself on the nexus as a modder's resource if you were so inclined? I'd be surprised if there werent more than a couple of people out there that would be interested in implementing it into vanilla new vegas sans frontier, I know I am.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bitches, leave.

gently caress. Now I want to do a robocop playthrough

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is this being made exclusively for the frontier project or could you release the assets yourself on the nexus as a modder's resource if you were so inclined? I'd be surprised if there werent more than a couple of people out there that would be interested in implementing it into vanilla new vegas sans frontier, I know I am.

It's exclusively for the project, though I don't know if they're interested in having some things be separate releases to tide people over like the F4NV team is doing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone else get a tiny FNV Steam patch today?

Be good to know what they're updating is all. If they edit the main binary for eg, the 4GB patcher would need to re-run.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pray they didn't gently caress up the script extenders

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunately my game updated yesterday, but in a few minutes of testing everything seemed okay. Some choppiness, but I think that's the vulkan dll; haven't played recently enough to make a meaningful comparison.

Can't find any patch notes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Probably a kill switch to disable all game mods that aren't part of a creation club typestore to go along with a FNV remaster release that you can upgrade your base/ultimate edition FNV game to get rid of those nasty old world bugs that were introduced intentionally.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Our Holy Lord JesusJazz will save us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Apparently Bethesda released a patch for FO3 two weeks ago. Well over 12 years after the previous patch. It removed GFWL and seems to have done little else. But in a nice preview of what's to come for Skyrim, they used Visual Studio 2019's compiler to build the FO3 executable. So that game's script extender is hosed for quite some time.

Let's all be thankful Bethesda doesn't seem to consider New Vegas a "Bethesda game" and ignores. But just to be save, keep a back up of the game's executable.