Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Bogart posted:

There’s the mod that adds broken down motorcycle terminals you can fix and fast travel with and that’s pretty much as good as it’ll get. There’s a “random encounters while fast traveling” mod that’s absolute poo poo tho. Yeah somehow I got addicted to alcohol while fast traveling despite not carrying any on me. Makes sense.

I like Speedy Wheelz, it's a lore-friendly alternative that makes you explore more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Has anyone seen the Aqua Performa mod? It improves performance on the strip.

quote:

I hate this game.

Water rendering is so broken in this game, that water LOD simply existing massively tanks the perf.
Unfortunately, Strip's worldspace, uses a partial replica of the Mojave... with the water.
Yes, Lake Mead is there.
Other bodies of water are there.
Rendered, all the time.

I did what Obsidian didn't and... disabled the water LOD. That's it.

20 fps boost on average on all machines I tested. Other people report more drastic improvements, especially with DXVK.

Seems like a scam. It's not. I'm literally baffled by how simple it was to gain such big performance increase.

Given that Obsidian wanted to leave the strip open instead of segmenting it but couldn't because of performance issues, I wonder if they just happened to miss that they could turn the water rendering off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what does LOD stand for there? load on demand or something?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

level of detail. it’s very much not a descriptive name for what it actually is

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
LOD (Level Of Detail) models and textures are lower-quality versions that get swapped in to save performance when an object is further away and the loss of fidelity isn't as noticeable

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

That's for energy weapons characters to get some more cool weapons early in the game, otherwise it's pretty slim pickings before you get to Vegas
Yes.

Many ghouls become feral. Some of the Bright Followers are on their way (or rather, at the start of F:NV, many are dead throughout the wasteland). The "Deranged" Bright Followers are hostile but not fully feral and are plausibly armed with energy weapons that an early game Courier can pick up. They are not accidentally bad at combat; they're bad at combat so you can easily spot and kill them and subsequently take their energy weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never encountered a living Bright Follower outside of the RepConn facility, much less one that was still able to shoot at me

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never encountered a living Bright Follower outside of the RepConn facility, much less one that was still able to shoot at me

JSawyer added some deranged ones in his mod near Wolfhorn Ranch. Same place Ulysses was originally going to be found.

EDIT: It's been forever but I've decided to download a new mod, how do I get it to show up on the Mod Organizer? Move its files to the Data Folder of New Vegas?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 16, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you use jsawyer they're to the south near wolfhorn ranch. The jsawyer ultimate edition might not add them if you use that, further raising the question of why that guy called it jsawyer if it doesn't have all the jsawyer stuff in it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

nah those guys are in ultimate as well. i do agree that it definitely should be called something else tho because it’s extremely lovely to take someone else’s work add a bunch of unrelated stuff to it and call it the ultimate version of it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a laser pistol in the coyote den near the start

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

JSawyer added some deranged ones in his mod near Wolfhorn Ranch. Same place Ulysses was originally going to be found.

EDIT: It's been forever but I've decided to download a new mod, how do I get it to show up on the Mod Organizer? Move its files to the Data Folder of New Vegas?

Click the install from archive button from Mod Manager and it will do it for you.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Or go into MO2's settings and on the Nexus tab, click the "Associate with download with manager links" button. You can the use the Mod Manager Download links on Nexus to have MO2 download the mod directly.

It's nice and the thing I miss the most while running modded Skyrim on the Deck right now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I find it pretty straightforward to raid the REPCONN headquarters for the special plasma rifle, although that's probably because I've played the game too many times. Those deranged Bright followers almost killed my level 6 shotgun guy, and it was the closest I came to death until I actually died because Arcade wanted to use his plasma defender against the explosive ants. JSawyer seems to make Power Armor and energy weapons more worthwhile than the base game, so I should try using those.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There are a handful of dead Bright Followers in the early base game (coyote cave, Sloan, maybe one or two more). But those are dice rolls that may have very bad weapons and if you don't loot them the first time the cell loads, they'll probably despawn next time you come around.

Having very in-your-face deranged Bright Followers to loot multiple energy weapons from is good and cool.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dunno about Power Armor but I did an Energy Weapons run right from Goodsprings with jsawyer and got a decent way before quitting (dead money). It felt really balanced all the way through.

The hardest battle for me was getting past the first legion assassin squad coming to avenge Vulpes. I hadn't invested in Plasma at that point and Laser just wasn't going to cut it against DT. But once you get a bit of both weapon types going, energy weapons feel great in jsawyer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Chamale posted:

I'm enjoying the game more now, but you know what I hate? When a mod does something really well, and then adds another unwanted thing that isn't related to the main point of the game. I've sure we've seen a lot of examples. JSawyer is 99% about rebalancing stats and spawn lists, but for some reason, Rope Kid decided that the safe route to Novac isn't hard enough. So there's an ambush by "Deranged Bright Followers", a faction that normally isn't hostile and is terrible at combat, with weapons so advanced that I'm pretty sure they could take down one of Caesar's assassin squads.

It may be a bit unexpected for first time players, but depending on how you enter Wolfhorn Ranch you can get around them pretty easily and there'll be the travelling merchants and ambushing Legionaries there for you to bait the Deranged Bright Followers towards. You should be able to loot the bodies of the losers.

Also there's a dead Bright follower around there usually. Three places for a chance to pick up a recharging pistol or rifle, counting the Coyote Den and under the bridge towards Sloan.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

watho posted:

nah those guys are in ultimate as well. i do agree that it definitely should be called something else tho because it’s extremely lovely to take someone else’s work add a bunch of unrelated stuff to it and call it the ultimate version of it

I think the reason they called it Ultimate was because the original Jsawyer wasn't updated to stay compatible with a bunch of other mods, not because they added other stuff to it. Still agree it should have a different name, although keeping Jsawyer in it means I remember I need it when I am downloading mods.

moot the hopple posted:

Click the install from archive button from Mod Manager and it will do it for you.

Awesome, thanks.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I'm struggling with this mod and installing it. It downloads as a RAR file, which Mod Manager doesn't like. I followed the directions for a manual installation but Mod Manager doesn't seem to recognize it. Can anyone help with the proper pathing? I feel like the ESP file for the mod is in the wrong location for some reason.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60159?tab=files&file_id=1000033696&nmm=1

EDIT: I THINK, what I was doing wrong was I was copying the Entire Crossroads folder. I should have just copied what was inside the Data folder inside the Crossroads folder, the slavemarket.esp and the Sound folder. Sound about right?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 17, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I'm struggling with this mod and installing it. It downloads as a RAR file, which Mod Manager doesn't like. I followed the directions for a manual installation but Mod Manager doesn't seem to recognize it. Can anyone help with the proper pathing? I feel like the ESP file for the mod is in the wrong location for some reason.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60159?tab=files&file_id=1000033696&nmm=1

EDIT: I THINK, what I was doing wrong was I was copying the Entire Crossroads folder. I should have just copied what was inside the Data folder inside the Crossroads folder, the slavemarket.esp and the Sound folder. Sound about right?

RAR files shouldn't be an issue.
Installs fine in MO2 you just need to set the right Data folder in the popup when installing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Viva New Vegas has a decent introduction to using MO2, you may also want to check out this video that VNV linked there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0wWVuOagA
(Skip the part about Steam Workshop, it's not applicable to FNV.)

Looking at the linked mod it does indeed look like all you need is already stored in the mod's data folder. You likely don't need to do much messing around with this one as MO2 is pretty good at sensing how basic mods like this one should be structured. Just to be safe, my advice would be (while in the window that appears when you install an MO2 mod manually) to just throw the readmes into the mod's data folder and then right click said data folder and select the option to set it as, well, the data folder.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 17, 2022

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

watho posted:

wtf you killed fascist star fox

*The Fascist Mr Fox

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Looks like Fallout: London won't have Zombie Queen Elizabeth in it any longer.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1582870568101367809

Also, gotta admit I never really thought about how with the 40s-50s timeline split, Lizzy would've still been the monarch of the UK in the Fallout timeline.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cowards.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I hope the keep the general idea. It was ridiculous of them to think that either of them wouldn't kick it during the development time.

Just make it Queen Zara or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

British people why? Its 2022 get rid of the scum sucking parasites you let on top your society

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Gaius Marius posted:

British people why? Its 2022 get rid of the scum sucking parasites you let on top your society

Most people with the money to get into power via our loosely-democractic system place their self-worth as part of the society the scum sucking parasites are on top of, and it's difficult to trust the people who don't place their self-worth in said society to include them in putting something together that replaces it. Our mainstream 'left' newspaper is full of transphobes, and our left in general is pretty poo poo on disability and racial issues.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

you first

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

LashLightning posted:

Most people with the money to get into power via our loosely-democractic system place their self-worth as part of the society the scum sucking parasites are on top of, and it's difficult to trust the people who don't place their self-worth in said society to include them in putting something together that replaces it. Our mainstream 'left' newspaper is full of transphobes, and our left in general is pretty poo poo on disability and racial issues.

when you put it like that, I guess the pedophilic scum sucking parasite society is the better choice after all

watho
Aug 2, 2013

drat i love this discussion of fallout new vegas mods

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mandrel posted:

the pedophilic scum sucking parasite society

But enough about Nexus

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

idk what happened to the general, non-modding new vegas thread but i found this super neat travel blog that documents, idk about all of them, but a poo poo load of the ingame locations with additional sections on the fauna, and other tid bits.

http://couriersix.com/

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Proletarian Mango posted:

idk what happened to the general, non-modding new vegas thread but i found this super neat travel blog that documents, idk about all of them, but a poo poo load of the ingame locations with additional sections on the fauna, and other tid bits.

http://couriersix.com/

It's still around, just not very active.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's still around, just not very active.

weird i have it bookmarked but its not showing in my bookmarks. thanks for the link tho

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So have anyone played Crossroads or The Northern Road mods?

Crossroads seems interesting, two new companions, uses a part of the map not normally used, and uses the trust system like with Arcade to advance the companion quests. Also, one of the companions is an old dude, like Raul, so that might be interesting for story.

The Northern Road is an Overseer mod, he apparently has quite a few mods, but the others conflict with New Vegas Bounties so this is the only one I'm trying. Sounds like an adventure in a new territory with lots of danger, could be fun.

Also, I've been hearing about Simply Uncut New Vegas mod, which I feel does a lot of the same things Outside Bets already does, but if I'm not mistaken, it also adds a lot of content that wasn't necessarily cut, just never made, only mentioned. Probably better to stick to Outside Bets and Living Wasteland, yeah?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 21, 2022

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So have anyone played Crossroads or The Northern Road mods?

Haven't played Crossroads, but North Road is a pretty solid addition. It's not hard to tell the new worldspace is added by a mod, but with how big that worldspace is I can forgive that. NPCs are all voiced, mostly by people who weren't using a microphone for the first time in their life. There's a main quest to set you into the new area, which has it's own quest hub town with lots of side content, incentivizing you to explore areas not covered by the main quest.

Combat can be challenging. You will encounter high level NPCs with late game armor and weapons. Th3Overseer also likes placing traps in locations that actually make them hard to notice, and they can't all be circumvented with the light step perk. Areas defended by professional mercenaries might have you trying to get past traps while under fire from snipers and other ranged attackers, which can be particularly tough for a melee/unarmed focused courier.

If you decide to try Th3Overseer's other mods, the later ones are much more polished. Depths of Depravity is rather Dark & Edgy for the sake of being Dark & Edgy, but it's very well put together and ties into North Road; it also adds Charlie, who is probably my favorite mod companion for New Vegas. High Desert is Th3Overseer's most recent mod, which was intentionally very light in tone (so you can play it to decompress after Depths) while still being highly polished.

Simply Uncut seems to add a lot of content that wasn't really cut, so much as "There was this minor detail in the game files that was never elaborated on in any way, so this is our vision of what it could have possibly been, maybe."

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 21, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I dislike how the north road ends but it’s nowhere near as miserable as New Vegas Bounties 3 which is garbage turds. If nothing else you can play around in a decently fun space.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Hobo on Fire posted:

Haven't played Crossroads, but North Road is a pretty solid addition. It's not hard to tell the new worldspace is added by a mod, but with how big that worldspace is I can forgive that. NPCs are all voiced, mostly by people who weren't using a microphone for the first time in their life. There's a main quest to set you into the new area, which has it's own quest hub town with lots of side content, incentivizing you to explore areas not covered by the main quest.

Combat can be challenging. You will encounter high level NPCs with late game armor and weapons. Th3Overseer also likes placing traps in locations that actually make them hard to notice, and they can't all be circumvented with the light step perk. Areas defended by professional mercenaries might have you trying to get past traps while under fire from snipers and other ranged attackers, which can be particularly tough for a melee/unarmed focused courier.

If you decide to try Th3Overseer's other mods, the later ones are much more polished. Depths of Depravity is rather Dark & Edgy for the sake of being Dark & Edgy, but it's very well put together and ties into North Road; it also adds Charlie, who is probably my favorite mod companion for New Vegas. High Desert is Th3Overseer's most recent mod, which was intentionally very light in tone (so you can play it to decompress after Depths) while still being highly polished.

Simply Uncut seems to add a lot of content that wasn't really cut, so much as "There was this minor detail in the game files that was never elaborated on in any way, so this is our vision of what it could have possibly been, maybe."

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to try Overseer's other mods but they all use Freeside extensively apparently, and conflicts with Freeside Open. Maybe I should eventually uninstall that and give all these mods that want to use Freeside a chance.

Bogart posted:

I dislike how the north road ends but it’s nowhere near as miserable as New Vegas Bounties 3 which is garbage turds. If nothing else you can play around in a decently fun space.

I remember someone tried to make a mod and change all of Marko's dialogue to be less whiny and "It's all your fault" and more psychopathic, which, you know, fits his character. Although I do think there is SOME merit in a mod pointing out just how much of a murderer a Courier might have become if they've willingly done tons and tons and tons of bounties, but only in the right amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Double-posting because I wanted to share this, someone's made a mod to allow House to surrender/make a truce with NCR, allowing you to keep him alive while siding with NCR.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/74446

Unfortunately it requires a fresh run, but I have been looking for an excuse to try a Legion character just to get the achievements. I also suggested to the mod author (rather arrogantly) that perhaps they should make the speech check harder, a lot harder, since House has been planning his stuff for 200 years and a single 80 speech check seems a little cheap to get him to change his mind. Wrote this minor script for a potential exchange.

quote:

[Speech 100] We need to consider a truce with the NCR. (Failure Check: I think a truce would be a good idea with NCR)

House: A truce? More like a surrender and occupation, with heavy taxation for the privilege. What on Earth makes you think a truce would be in Vegas' best interests?

[Perception 10] The majority of the NCR populace supports this campaign. They'll be furious if you snatch it away from them after all the spilt blood. (Failure Check: Look, the soldiers would probably be pretty mad, you don't want angry soldiers nearby do you?)

House: So? It wasn't I who commanded battalion and battalion out into this desert to die for their leaders' Imperialist visions. I offer them a chance of escape from the drudgeries of their existence, they'll blame their leaders and move on. The money will continue to roll in.

[Intelligence 10] Those same leaders will institute a travel ban and blockade. Kimball might be blamed, but whoever succeeds him will want revenge. (Failure Check: Whoever's President next will be gunning for you, they might spend less at the casinos!)

House: Preposterous. The NCR for all its faults and failings wouldn't dare anger its populace by restricting them from visiting. They need at least a facsimile of popular will to operate.

[Barter 100] As much you need their income to continue operating? You have greater operating risks, not NCR. (Failure Check: Look, you need to take this deal, it's the best you'll get)

House: I... I've survived nearly 200 years, I've rebuilt New Vegas from the irradiated ruins its original inhabitants doomed it to. I alone have the vision, the drive, to see mankind recover after the senseless slaughter our ancestors inflicted upon ourselves. Surrendering to NCR means all my plans, the rebirth of our technology sector, will be dealt a fatal blow. New Vegas would become a tax-cow state, all those resources being poured into pointless NCR ventures with no justification further than the next election.

[Charisma 10] This is the best decision, for both of us. You'll be the richest citizen in NCR by far, could even run as President. (Failure Check: Hey, you'll always have me to help you, in case things go bad, right?)

House: Laughs I haven't heard something that genuinely funny since my half-brother believed he could withstand my corporate takeover. You're asking me to take the biggest risk of the last 200 years. All of New Vegas hinges on this single decision. What guarantee do you have any of what you say will come to pass?

[Luck 10] Trust me. (Failure check: Trust me (Same but this one fails, lol).

House's response to any failure check can be the same: There will be no truce. New Vegas can only have one Master, and I prefer it to be me, rather than whoever the Brahmin Barons of California can bribe into office. There will be no more talk of truce.

Also, I've finally decided to uninstall Freeside Open. There's actually a newer one available that is less buggy, but that one has no compatibility patches for all the quest mods that use it. And honestly, some of those compatibility patches never worked anyway. A shame because I really like the idea of an open Freeside, but I feel 7-8 extra quests worth of story is worth the 20ish minutes of "cool" factor from an Open Freeside.

Looks like he actually made a 1-in-all patcher for Freeside Open that you can manually make your own compatibility patches? Am I reading this right? https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73166?tab=files

EDIT: Screw it, just too many mods that are in Freeside.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 24, 2022