Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I've been using the Ling's Coiffure (linked in the OP) for making the game not so ugly; only problem is almost all the female hair pieces (whether on a pc or npc) tend to clip in a really obvious and ugly fashion. Is this normal for Lings? Or have I installed this totally wrong? (And should I switch to the NVCE?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Which hairstyles?

Not all of them are clipping, the issues are with the ones that have been assigned by the mod to certain npc's (IE: Julie Farkas) - seeing a bunch of scalp poking through an otherwise good hair mesh is wearing pretty thin very fast.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm thinking of switching my current lighting/weather mods (New Vegas Skies) in favor of Project Reality; anyone care to comment on whether this is a good idea/worth the trouble?

Additionally the Project Reality page says that the New Vegas ArchiveInvalidation Invalidator is necessary to use it, however the latter mod's page says that it no longer works thanks to a F:NV patch, so what's the word on that?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm currently using the Underground Hideout New Vegas version 4.3, which unfortunately doesn't support the GRA dlc. However, the next update, 4.4 doesn't say anything about it either; anyone using this mod who could let me know whether the armory display walls will handle GRA stuff yet?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Can anyone suggest a decent mod for allowing (GRA) weapon mods to be used with their vanilla counter-parts (that is, non-(GRA) weapons)? Preferably one that will play nice with Right to Bear Arms.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

bee burger posted:

I think Right to Bear Arms has a system to turn non-GRA weapons into GRA weapons. (or was it the other way around?) Check out that machine that makes weapons mods from blanks.

Yeah, I tried using the little machine at Gibson's but it didn't work for my non-GRA powerfist :(

E: in fact no weapons show up in the valid list for upgrading weapons to their GRA counterparts

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

So I'm going to try a run with the J.E. Sawyer mod, and I'm wondering how I can get it to play nice with Project Nevada. Do I just need to remove the re-balance mod from my load order, or that and the DLC re-balance .esps?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Well I finally upgraded my rig to Windows 8, and stuck 8GB of ram in there too; now I'm trying to get F:NV working again, and I'm having some trouble, specifically with the FNV4GB mod.

I've been able to launch and play the base game, no mods, and I've been able to install NVSE, and launch F:NV from both the NVSE executable, and FOMM (via NVSE).

I followed all the instructions for installing FNV4GB from both the OP and the .txt included with the files, and I've linked FOMM to it with a custom file path - that all works fine.

However when I launch the executable directly, or from FOMM, I get a small window that comes up with a green progress bar which says launching, this progresses for a second or so, then disappears, and otherwise nothing happens. The game doesn't launch, there's no activity in task manager, nothing.

I'm running everything in administrator mode, and I've already tried running it in XP compatibility mode - in which case FNV4GB will not even launch. I have no mods enabled in FOMM besides the base game and dlc stuff. Anyone got any advice, or ideas for how I can get this working?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bummer, ah well. Guess I won't be able to use those huge texture packs.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Probably, but don't know where it'd be. Might trip up Steamworks.

Sorry. I figured you wouldn't be replying this soon so I edited my last post.

Try this.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

E: That appears to be working fine, thanks a bunch :)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 30, 2013

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anyone know of a mod that adds recipes for all the chems in the game?

I just want to make more psycho damnit.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Welp. Decided to try and install New Vegas redesigned 3 and it appears to have borked my game pretty good. Doc Mitchell doesn't even spawn in for a new game start any more and disabling the .esm and .esps that installed doesn't correct this. Anyone else had this problem?

Tried loading up an old save (with everything enabled) and some of the legionaires that spawn at Nipton were missing whatever their new helmet textures were supposed to be.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Psion posted:

Installing NVR3? nah, never had that problem :v:

how many times did you toggle archive invalidation? was it at least three?

Failing that, I don't know the NVR3 structure but does it come with a bunch of loose files? It may be those are causing problems even with the esp/esm files taken out of your load order. I'd check those too.

tried toggling archive invalidation a few times, didn't change anything. The mod comes with a few loose textures/meshes (and the other .esp files) in an update, but nothing that affects doc mitchell or quite a few other disturbed textures I've seen so far. The main file is a Fomod file so I guess I'm going to have to reinstall the game - bummer but maybe it'll clear out some of the clutter

e:

watho posted:

My biggest recommendation is not installing NVR3. :v:

Beginning to wish I hadn't tried. Mods are the only thing that's keeping me playing at this point though after so many playthroughs.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

NVR3 requires the assets from FCO but it won't work properly or downright crash if any FCO esms or esps are active in your load order.

That being said, install FCO, make sure none of it's esms or esps are activated in your load order.
Install NVR3, say yes to overwrite.
Activate it's esms/esps. Done.

If that won't work post your load order.

gonna give that a try as I definitely still had FCO stuff active

E: that appears to have done the trick, thanks!

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 30, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, reinstalling Fallout 3 and seeing if I can get the drat thing working.

Of course, pirated copies still work perfectly fine for other people on Windows 8. Buying legit copies on Steam is what seems to bork it up.

Edit: So here's what's happening. I get the brand new install and boot it up through the launcher. It gets to the initial "Please stand by" slide that comes up when the menu is loading, then crashes. So the list of solutions:

1. Update Games for Windows Live: Doesn't work. It's already updated and even uninstalling and reinstalling does nothing.

2. Set resolution to that of your desktop: Doesn't work. It actually crashes even faster now, before the first slide has finished coming up.

3. Try windowed mode: Crashes just as fast. Turning vertical sync off likewise does nothing to help.

4. Delete the contents of Documents\My Games\Fallout 3: Makes it a few frames further into the animation before crashing.

According to this guide, I shouldn't go any further until I successfully get the game playing. So I'm going to just wipe the game wholesale from my computer and reinstall it fresh. If that doesn't work, I just wasted twenty bucks.

it's been a while since I had FO3 on my windows machine, but I seem to remember having to run it in administrator mode, and possibly in compatibility mode for windows xp (both of which can be set from the properties tab (right click on the .exe). I also vaguely remember something about the install directory having to be in your C: directory rather than whatever the path is through your steam directory, but that might have been for FO1 or even another game entirely, not too sure.

but try the administrator/compliance mode stuff.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's what Asians look like. People from Asia. Also apart from the eyebrows it looks almost exactly like the concept art.

A fair amount don't look like stereotypes, in fact

and also James Hsu is almost certainly not 'from' Asia in that he was likely born in California, as were several generations of his parents, and unless they kept the family stock fairly segregated, probably has some other cultures mixed in there.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well that's not fair, because I'm not seeing any yellow quote boxes on my end.

in the awful app the OP's posts are in yellow to other folks

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

jsawyer plays just fine with lots of other mods, read the OP for a great list of mods that will beautify the game; to start with though, pick up a lighting mod, a sky-box/weather mod, and the better textures mod if your machine can handle it - along with the various game-improvement stuff (stutter remover, etc.)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Surprised no one has made a thing that let's you roleplay some kind of radiation cleanup guy and gives you a checklist of all fat man ammo and a vault to lock them all in to.

like people playing this game need an excuse to hoard any one thing

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Okay, so after a (foolhardy) attempt at installing FNV redesigned 3 months ago, which thoroughly borked my game (loving up textures all over the place) I got the itch to play again. Uninstalled in steam, reinstalled in a new location on a different drive and re-downloaded a bunch of mods. However after getting everything running again I appear to have run into a few snags:

1) Despite running Project Nevada (which I did before), which I believe comes with mod-manager installed, IWS no longer shows up in the mod manager menu, which it did under my old install.

2) Grabbed NMC's large texture packs again, and installed manually, and while the title screen is the NMC screen... none of the textures appear to be being used in game. I am running FNV4GB (nvse compatible version).

3) Stuff from FNV redesigned 3 is still hanging around - craggly rear end Doc Mitchel, vanilla npc's that were black are still white. How the gently caress is this thing haunting me from beyond the grave.

I should note that I reinstalled without uninstalling FOMM (though I did grab a fresh dl of FOMM and ran the installer). I've also deleted my old mods file which FOMM was initially referencing, and changed all the directories in the FOMM settings to new folders.

Any thoughts on solving these three issues?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zeron posted:

For #1, while Project Nevada has it's own mcm it doesn't work for any other mod I believe. You'll still need to install mcm(and UIO to make everything play nice).

thanks, that sorted the IWS problem. Also toggling Archive Invalidation a couple times seems to have sorted the NMC issues (even turned boxcars back to his regular brown self). Doc Mitchell is still a craggly rear end dude, but I can deal with that I guess

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

I recently started using ENB again and I'm getting some graphical errors that pop up now and then. I'm using an "Extreme" preset .ini and the graphics look nice apart from these glitches.

Does anyone know which settings are causing this so I can turn them off or adjust them? I'm pretty positive I installed everything correctly and yes I'm using the newest ENB version.

Specifically the shaders and presets here: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49882/

So where'd you get the Dali mod?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zeron posted:

So basically the first part of the game is incredibly hard and then the rest of the game is incredibly easy? That...doesn't sound particularly fun. What with the Power Gangers and their dynamite and your lack of armor. I mean most difficulty mods have that problem but in this case it sounds like the difficulty would just be way too easy after that.

I wish the whole game were as difficult as the first push to Novac with IWS on.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Just using Configator for the first time (to max out draw distance and such) any tips or guidelines with respect to settings given that I'm running this on a rig with:

AMD Phenom II 965 Black edition quad core 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 Windforce 820MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Missing Name posted:

oh god what is happening in my mod soup

Sure, the glitched screenshot was unexpected. But it works in this situation. I mean, look at the Forcaster's eyes. LOOK AT HIS loving EYES.

oh man, now I'm getting this too

I think it's that child eye patch with FCO

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd really like to see a Fallout game where people actually built things and tore down ruined buildngs instead of living in total squalor. Also they should have horses and bicycles.

Even though there's some industry returning to the wastes by the time of NV, and obviously places like Vault City with what I seem to remember as pre-fabricated structures, most people aren't going to have access to properly produced wood, insulation, or other building materials unless they canibalize existing structures. And if you're going to be doing that anyway, why not simply re-purpose the structures and live in them?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

After hundreds of years those buildings would either be totally renovated or have collapsed.

Doesn't appear to be the case unless all those (for example) houses near Freeside were renovated at some point (even if that doesn't make sense)

quote:

Plus I don't see why they don't have enough wood, there are plenty of forests in CA and turning those into wood is like stone-age technology.

Yeah, I'm not saying there isn't an abundance of wood, though I would hesitate to say that it's readily available - but sawmills? How about nails? Is anybody making this kind of poo poo out in the boonies, and away from established centers?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

The same way people have always done it for most of history--in small artisan shops. The Industrial Revolution wasn't always a thing. Look at the way people lived in the 18th and early 19th century. 2281 should resemble 1781 more than 1961.

That's a fair answer I suppose, although I'd wonder where they're gonna get the building materials in the Mojave, or would you expect shelters similar to the Native Americans'?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mosnar posted:

How many folk have not discovered the hidden doors in Repconn?

Repconn HQ? The doors with the killer robots behind them? I think IWS makes them open every time I go there now for every playthrough

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

So on my current playthrough I'm using EVE - and it seems to have really screwed up some of the iron sights on a few guns (Hyper-breeder alpha for example). Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?

example:

And in iron sights:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If it's the same problem EVE caused for me (tri-beam would take up the entire screen) try going to Gameplay settings and turning on True Iron Sights.

nah, already have true iron sights on, and I'm aware of the patch for that issue - seems to be an issue with all the energy weapons - when you go into iron sights the gun is held slightly to the left of where it should be (and where the projectile fires from)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hoo okay so Weapon Animation Replacers is not playing nice with the enhanced camera mod, specifically with pistols. Also I just realized that my character in 3rd person doesn't bring any weapon up to aim when I hold the right mouse button (both before and after replacing animations), I wonder what's doing that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

experimenting further it looks like it's WAR having problems with EVE, not with the enhanced camera mod - only affects energy weapons, and not custom stuff that EVE doesn't touch. Bummer but I'd rather lose EVE as it's already loving with my sights anyway

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

No, but my problem was/is with pistols - which that mod hasn't changed anything for yet according to the author's notes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Also just removed EVE and my sights issue and the problems with WAR are gone. It sucks losing the textures as well as the enhanced visuals, guess I'll try and find some energy weapon retextures

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

it works for pistols. the dude who made the mod just also made some custom animations for rifles, and didn't for pistols.

I'll give it a try, but it looks like it was WAR conflicting with EVE, and not the camera mod as I initially thought. Regular pistols were fine, energy pistols were hosed

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

holy poo poo that Enhanced Camera WAR compatability mod is terrible. It didn't fix the issues with EVE/WAR (which I didn't really expect it to), but man watching your gun wag all over the screen when you run anywhere is incredibly annoying, and your character starts fingering their gun like they're suffering from some kind of anxiety disorder.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Gyshall posted:

You need to install the compatibility pack between the two mods, and then use the compatibility pack's Enhanced Camera INI and overwrite the one from the Enhanced Camera mod. All in the installation readme for the Enhanced Camera pack.

If you're having problems with it, check out the Fear and Loathing install guide which goes through it pretty comprehensively. I have had absolutely no problems with the two mods, using all the default equipment + Weapons of the New millenium

The instructions on the page say to install WAR -> enhanced camera -> then the compatibility mod. Also I did the .ini changes the author recommended rather than overwrite. The animations suck, but that's my only real problem with it - it does nothing to fix my issue which appears to be caused by EVE and not by WAR, although I shouldn't have bothered with the WAR first person stuff for rifles.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I have zero problems with Program Files under Windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 will be identical in that regard. I don't do anything special and I don't know where this mythology about that one directory comes from. Having to elevate to do stuff isn't a bug or an problem.
I didn't either with F:NV but FO3 refused to play nice until I installed it in C: on Win 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

shouldn't the fnv4gb.exe thing be creating an exe folder that places a copy of it and the falloutnv.exe? or is that only old versions or with fomm?

yo bro i got them fallout 4 leaks

wait are those shelves naturally destructible?