Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Here are some shots of my current char. I decided I would theme my characters in New Vegas on the old GW game Necromunda after seeing the cool Metal armours in FO3:The Pitt. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Van Graffs are loosely based on the Van Saar House. Lings doesn't give me nearly flamboyant-enough hair to recreate a proper Escher though, which is somewhat of a disappointment.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EvilMuppet posted:

Get the infinite followers mod and you can actually have a gang.

You were so right! Thank you.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Convicted Lovebot posted:

What weapons are those? The ones in the first image kind of look like bolters, but I am probably wrong.

Mostly the Grenade Launcher converted to fire 40mm shotgun shells. Mostly.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EvilMuppet posted:

Thanks Naky the weapons pack is awesome.

How are people taking the screenshots in the cinematic type view?

through the console. press <`> and then type http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gamebryo_console_commands

Ed. beat. Also, holding sprint makes the camera move around faster.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You all already know this, but I thought I'd mention again just how good A World Of Pain is. It all integrates seamlessly with the normal game, and many areas are themed to finish off where Obsidian got lazy. The best example is the Underground Military Barracks being overrun with Jackal Gangs. It really makes the whole area feel like that is their 'turf'. I always loved the idea of factions in my RPGs, and the vanilla effort was needlessly lacking, given they took out a number of the 'factions' from Fallout 3 for which most of the resources already existed.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Terpfen posted:

Most of those factions don’t exist on the west coast in the Fallout universe. Even Fallout 3’s super mutants aren’t the same as those in 1 and 2. Fallout 3 in a lot of ways is an aberration in the overall series.

If there is a faction intended to represent the Jackal gang, then they should be as fleshed out as possible. This seems like it would be trivial since raider gangs were integral to Fallout 3. A single camp on the road to Nipton, and the Police station, for a grand total of about 9 NPC's does not a faction make.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

myname_isdoug posted:

I remember that someone in the game tells you the Jackals have been made all but impotent by the NCR moving into the Mojave.

I'd agree. 9 guys is totally useless. Why even bother defining them as a gang then, when by comparison the Mojave is terrorized by battalions of geckos?

I just hope Obsidian have 'resources' to spare for 'content' in 'future titles' I guess.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ugh,

I did not realize that anyone here was personally involved with the game, and indeed my gripe is minor, and intended to frame the work of the unpaid modding community in as favorable a light as possible.

I can assure Terpfen that, while I own and played both Fallout 1 and 2, I did miss out on the joys of un-modded Oblivion that I assume are responsible for his feelings about Fallout 3. What I did not expect, and therefore was not disappointed by regarding Fallout NV was that it equal, upon release, my experience with modded Fallout 3. This was clearly impossible given the 18 month time frame. Hence

Speaking of Mods: Is there any way that fungi could be made to grow on the walls of the service corridors and other man-made structures in Fallout NV?

Flaky fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 21, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Never-the-less we received in New Vegas:

companion system reboot http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2399
ironsights http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6938
improved animations http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7670
crafting http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4447
weapon mods http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5059
fellout http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672
and expanded factions and survival elements http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672.

Call it good market research.

Ed. clarity.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 21, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Then there simply wouldn't be a modding community. I also never said they were competing.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So many mods, but no Readius? How come? Try the Pip-boy 3500 skin, if you are concerned about it not being lore-friendly. Matter of fact, I would pretty much recommend that for the OP as well. There's no reason for the Courier to even have a pip-boy, other than the Doc ramming into your back pocket on your way out the door.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Clever Spambot posted:

Did they fix the thing where the readius didn't appear until your hand was fully in position in front of your face because that annoyed the poo poo out of me way to much to ever bother using it.

I think it depends how quickly you computer can load the texture. I have seen the animation work smoothly, but then again, if frames are low it doesn't load the texture quick enough (or something). I thought it worth the compromise anyway, as it vastly (imo) improves screen shots.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't for the life of me get decent looking WH40K weapons into this game. Necromunda just isn't the same without the :spergin: weapons. There are some tasty meshes that have appeared on the Fallout 3 nexus since I last dabbled, but my clumsy efforts to port them over have all failed, and the author has said nothing about porting them other than that other people aren't allowed to. What do I need to know to give it a shot for personal use?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Flaky fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 23, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amstrad posted:

Hey, if you want to fix that muzzle flash issue, load up the .nif for the bolter in nifskope and edit the ProjectileNode so it's positioned at the end of the barrel.

Sadly that is only the very beginning of the problems with that weapon. I would literally have to learn the entire weapon system from top to bottom to get it working adequately. For a start, it currently uses the Fallout 3 WSRP Double barrel shotgun fire sounds, which is nowhere near the saintly screech of a proper bolter. Fortunately for me I find it much more enjoyable to just stuff around with mods and take screen-shots than actually engage with the vanilla content of the game. I actually struggle to think of even a single thing that I haven't modded. Armor, weapons, textures, meshes, visual effects, weather, lighting, camera options, the entire combat mechanic, time, space - all these things are only tangentially related to Fallout NV anymore. The only thing I cant significantly mod, the storyline/worldspace, I ignore for the most part, other than killing it dead with 75mm depleted uranium ammunition. Admittedly, that is fun as hell.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Naky posted:

If I have the time I could take a look at them. I was looking for more energy weapons to add anyway. Only problem is that I'm not familiar with the lore.

Pretty much that, minus the blue and white iconography. Theres not really much else to say, anything that is can be found in the above link.
If you are looking for energy weapons might I suggest the meltagun?

The lexicanum entry for it is rather sparse unfortunately. It is essentially a tremendously powerful though very short ranged heat gun, designed primarily for melting through vehicle armor. A good source for a visual effect might be the 'Mister Gutsy' propulsion jet, followed by the enemy either exploding from the pressure of their core water being instantly vaporised or simply the 'critical' ash effect of the default laser rifle/pistol.

ed. link already above

Flaky fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah don't stress too much, the mesh is poor, and I cant see how the ironsights would work, as they are really chunky. I will definitely give your weapons pack a go when the levelled lists are in. Thanks for all your work.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DirtyDiaperMask posted:

Any other mods you've tried that you'd(or anyone else) suggest to create more of a FPS-y feel? I was surprised to see how something as simple as iron sights improved on FO3, you no longer need to drop into VATS to be even half-way accurate.

I would definitely recommend Project Nevada for a FPS style, heck I find it great even for more RPG centric play, as the dynamic cross-hair makes the 3rd person view even remotely usable, and therefore some of the clunky weapon animations and clipping and the really awful skin texture on the hands less noticeable. Plus you get to see your blinged out character more. The other great thing about Project Nevada is that you can turn off all the tangential stuff you may not want like the grenade hotkey and night vision etc, some of which needs just a little tweaking before it is perfect. Stuff like the PN HUD icons do not match the transparency of your vanilla HUD etc and the sprint animations are pretty wooden. All great stuff in theory, but just needs one more update to be perfect.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dead Money is a buggy pile of poo-poo. I wouldn't touch it until someone bothers to spend some serious time ironing it out.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DemonNick posted:

It's not really a huge deal though? Sure it shouldn't have happened, and if Obs is professional at all it'll be fixed in the upcoming patch.

I was mostly responding to Flaky, who makes it sound like it's a huge buggy mess, which it really isn't. Compared to the FO3 DLC it's really clean and tight.

No, It is exactly as terrible as I expected the DLC phenomenon would be and is, only much much worse.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dickeye posted:

OK cool care to say why or are you just going to keep going NO THIS IS BAD GUYS DON'T YOU GET IT IT'S AWFUL until you get bored?

I will let you discover it for yourself. There is no teacher better than experience after all.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
-ignore-

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm probably just stupid, but I can't get the weapon meshes from the Armory to load. I unzipped to 'Data', merging the textures and meshes folders, and everything seems to work (ie. the cabinets are there etc) except when I equip the weapons I get the red ! of death. The.Armory.esm and The.Armoury.Realism.tweak.esp are last in my load orders. What am I doing wrong?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The texture on the HK 17xxxxx handgun is not displaying. Sorry I cant be more specific, the name has HK and I think 17 and some other numbers.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Naky posted:

HK VP70? If so, one of those valid bug reports was the texture on its silenced versions being missing. She's a fixed, good sir.

Sorry, I went and found it again. It was the HK M.23/12.7. The trigger texture does not display for me.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The amount of effort that has gone into this mod over time is staggering. Thank you.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, I was inspired to go back and play through the Dunwich Building of Fallout 3 yesterday due to the H.P Lovecraft reference, and I gotta say. Fallout 3 is the better game [[[FLAME SHIELD RAISED]]].

Heres my Load Order:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CT_FalloutAdvanced.esm
Project Beauty.esm
Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
RTS NW.esm
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Anchorage.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Broken Steel.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC The Pitt.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Point Lookout.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_VanillaPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_PittPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_BrokenSteelPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_PointLookoutPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_AnchoragePlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Pitt_NewRifleSights.esp
RH_IronSights_PL_NewItems.esp
RH_IronSights_RemoveReticule.esp
RH_IronSights_PL_HatAndShotgun.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Main.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Anchorage.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - The Pitt.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Broken Steel.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Point Lookout.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Sandstorm.esp
Savage Wasteland - Fewer Gun Wielding Maniacs.esp
SavageWasteland_UnfoundLoot_1_3.esp
Sensible Dismemberment.esp
Realistic Death Physics.esp
No_Vats.esp
NightVisionPerkDynamic.esp
dD-Smaller Spatters.esp
dD-Smaller Wounds.esp
NoFastTravel.esp
NoAutoAim.esp
DoubleShotgunTweak.esp
CEI - CaesarrulezExcessiveInteriorsEN.esp
Attentater's Wasteland Economy.esp
FLAK.esp
RZW_PortableBearTraps.esp
Scopeless44s.esp
1PipboyPDA.esp
VashDeagleV5.esp
MPammo.esp
SuperPerfectMutants.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers (Optional)- Crowded Cities.esp
lo-fi_levellists.esp
7_HolsterForHandGunsV1_1.esp
RTS NW - Volume 1st.esp
RTS NW - Volume 2nd.esp
RTS NW - Volume 3rd.esp

Total active plugins: 60
Total plugins: 63

I think it is mostly the setting. I am just not as much of a fan of a desert wasteland as of an urban wasteland. Was not a fan of any of the DLCs (except The Pitt) for that reason. I don't even have Zeta installed. Also, I loved TheCastle's realism mod. I think he is working with the Project Nevada guys now.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unrealistically, it would be cool to have this happen, but still have the occasional "smarter" (or more cowardly / cautious) opponent lurking in a room, waiting for you. It would help alleviate the "dinner bell" scenario I just described.

There is literally nothing I enjoy more than hiding in a suitable crawlspace, container or blind corner, attracting the enemy's attention, and then cracking them over the head as they come to investigate. Doesn't matter what game it is, and it always scares the hell out of me whenever one of those 'hand-placed' enemies pops up behind you, like they were just waiting to do the same thing. I got that really creepy feeling after clearing out the roadside Police Station with NV Bounties, and was busily looting the prisoners corpse, and that metal-armoured bastard whispers in my ear... 'Who the gently caress are you' and cleaves my head open before I can draw a weapon. Disabling VATS ftw!

Oh and all this talk of Raider stats is awesome. That's something that Bethesda really could use to their advantage in future. If they're going to have a numerical system for skills, then it makes sense for all the NPCs to have an equal set, and for their relative stats to have effects on their behaviour more than just HP/damage/weapon skill and such.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jan posted:

Are there "for dummies" instructions on how to merge two conflicting ESMs? I've been running Ling's coiffure, which clearly states is incompatible with other cosmetic mods. So adding New Vegas Redesigned breaks it, which gives me the choice between everyone looking like they have an extra chromosome, or my character looking like a bird just came by and shat on her head. :saddowns:

I wouldn't mind putting the effort of merging what needs to be merged, but so far I haven't managed to do anything using FNVEdit.

I kind of sidestepped this by installing Fallout Redesigned, and then just not activating the .esp. The faces all display anyway :lol:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What is the easiest way to replace the mesh/texture of the shotgun shells visible in the reload animation for shotguns?

I have tried eXcalibr, and even though that includes an appropriate model, it only uses it like it does any other brass, namely when spent.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What is the root structure of the sounds that play when the player 'lands' after jumping, within the sound.bsa? I have tried the search function within the .bsa browser but I haven't had any luck.

Basically I am trying to make landing in power armor sound as good as the 'power armor footsteps' mod.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's especially hypocritical when the default textures are practically placeholders. The cowboy repeater, .357, 9mm, the list goes on.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Thought I should mention the movie Hardware here. 80's sci-fi ala. Blade Runner/Mad Max with Iggy Pop as Angry Bob the radio host. The music would go fantastically in Fallout NV.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, thats my second attempt at modding, as requested, I am sharing.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15996

Pretty ineffective method of delivery, but it does the job for me. For fallout 3 only though, as Kerghan hasn't ported PA footsteps across yet I don't think.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey Cream-Of-Plenty you mentioned earlier the 'unfound loot' function of FWE. I cant get it to work due to a UI bug that doesn't let me select anything other than the 'Deactivate' button on one of the menus. If I select one of the settings, it registers, but the menu remains, and to get out of the menu, I have to select 'Deactivate', which renders my previous selection redundant and turns the feature off (I assume). Like the 'Activate' button is below the edge of the screen or something. Did you get this problem, and if so, how did you fix it.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ah yes, I recall having that issue on an earlier install of FWE and DarnUI...

Darnified UI fixed it. Thanks.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Upmarket Mango posted:

...and laugh as their small arms fire harmlessly bounce off my Power Armor.

the best feeling :awesomelon:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
God I can't wait for Skyrim + mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Some screenshots from the mod, to entice.

Actually, all this talk about it has convinced me to check it out, myself.

Oh gently caress now I have to reinstall.