Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/WendySnowRadish/status/1351986469771096064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

Clearly you never played New California.

Is New California THAT bad? :stare: oof.

Speaking of NC, is NC any better than Frontier? I never played that one either since 99.9 % of NV quest mods are garbage because most of the Fallout fandom just don't understand what makes Fallout good so you get cringy fanfic poo poo like all the stuff that's been posted in this thread. :smith:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

In the Frontier your choices are between the NCR, the Legion, the Crusaders etc.

In New California your choices are between Jock and Nerd. And also you're the Courier's origin story.

I knew about the couriers origin story thing (which yeah giving the courier a backstory does defeat the whole point of having an empty slate character for roleplaying purposes) and I knew about the nerd/jock choice thing at the beginning but I didnt seriously think that it had a big effect on the story and poo poo lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Saxxon's Quest are pretty lore friendly and simple, use some Van Buren stuff for background.

Someguy series is really good, although I think he kinda went up into his own butthole with his ultimate antagonist Marko, as if you play the mods it kind of narrates Marko as your ultimate most important showdown that scars your character. I find that kind of annoying because I believe a mod should give you more stuff to do, but not attempt to change the main game story to make their included stuff be on the same level of importance as vanilla stuff. If you don't like that though, just stick with Bounties I, II, The Inheritance, and Russell for really good quest mods.

Just bring a Minigun or something else for those last two though.

I hear Northern Road Remastered is really good too.

There's also PuceMoose, a goon-made series of mods that I hear are great but conflict with Bounties so I haven't tried them.

I play the first bounties back in like 2014 I think and I recall being pretty disappointed in it. I remember it just being "go here and kill this guy and come back" fallout 3/4 style.

I want actually meaningful choices and nuanced situations like in the base game. I get writing something like that then programming all those different quest paths is a shitload of work, but all these New Vegas quest mods that are just go here and kill everyone is so so boring to me.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that you're asking for writing on the level of professional developers who are widely regarded as some of the best in the industry. Good writing is hard, as is game design, and it shouldn't be a surprise that most people who are talented at both aren't putting their work out for free and/or are working on their own projects.

Yeah, I totally understand that. But I'm still just left wondering why even bother downloading and playing mediocre quest mods, when the base game's quest mods are infinitely better.

I seriously want to start making my own quest mods for the game and try to atleast come somewhat close to the quality of the base game. (easier said than done, I know) Feels like most modders don't even try to imo

Sorry, I don't mean to be such a snob. I just love NV so much (it's my favorite RPG ever made) lol and I wish the modding scene was better (as unrealistic as that wish may be)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katsuma posted:

I'm noticing that Viva New Vegas is incompatible with Essential Visuals Enhanced, and most specifically the energy weapons and energy effects.

Which sucks. I love those. Is there any advice on getting that working properly? Are the incompatibilities there minor enough that I could just live with them?

oof. Yeah EVE is a must for me. The polish to the energy weapons makes it so much more fun to play an energy guns character

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/JamieF4178/status/1354641434545156096

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

Fallout: New Vegas - The Frontiers of bad taste (Modding Thread)

Mods please make this the new thread title

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Jamie Faith posted:

Mods please make this the new thread title

Mods...thank you o7

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/JamieF4178/status/1356136332502982657

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

The Frontier is looking for more voice actors and devs to replace the VAs and devs who demanded to have their work removed from the mod. Who in their right mind would volunteer for this mod at this point? :psyduck:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Farm Frenzy posted:

multiple people volunteered to be horny snakes and sex slaves

but! according to the devs, no one else knew what the other devs were doing! Remember? :shepface:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. There's plenty of things to criticize Fallout 2 about but the main story and its themes are just as good if not better than Fallout 1's. The Enclave represent the ideology that led America to the war that destroyed it, the literal architects of the apocalypse. The Master was a new ideology that threatened to end humanity, the Enclave is the ideology that already nearly did so, poised to do it again. The mistakes of the past threatening to engulf the burgeoning civilizations that painstakingly built themselves back up from nothing. Of course they can't be reasoned with, the apocalypse itself didn't change their worldview, it would be absurd if you could reason them out of it. To me, if the Enclave is anything, it's prescient, because we're living in a world where the billionaires who refuse to do anything to stem global warming (and even deny its existence) because it would cut into their profits are secretly preparing survival scenarios for when it destroys the inhabitable world. The Enclave is simply a different manifestation of that elitist mindset. They literally do not consider anyone outside their group to be worth anything unless they can benefit them. Hell, I'm sure the Enclave leaders would gladly get rid of their grunts if they didn't think it endangered the hierarchical structure and long term survival of the group, content to simply exist as a group of men and women in offices in giant empty buildings.

This isn't a weakness of the writing. It's the point. To them, America is the people in charge, and those people coming to harm or losing power in any way would be a greater blow to America than the literal annihilation of most of its population. This too reflects the real history of military regimes, such as imperial Japan near the end of World War 2, when 2 nuclear loving bombs did not precipitate their surrender, because they were more concerned about the preservation of the Emperor's role than the lives of their citizenry.

While the Enclave is obviously an overt critique and parody of the 90s republican mindset, it also critiques problems that are endemic to the US as a whole. A contempt for the lower classes and outsiders, a preference for military solutions to any problem, a worship of hierarchy that disregards any actual qualifications or intent, an unshakeable belief that they are inherently worth more than anyone outside their group. Frank Horrigan isn't just an End Boss, either, he's someone who's completely embraced all of those ideals despite being at the bottom of the food chain. He's the boot of the enclave and he loves it, even though he's used to destroy people and creatures that have far more in common with him than his superiors. He's not the architect of anything, but his devotion to what the Enclave represents makes him as powerful a symbol of his faction as The Master was to his. He also can't be reasoned with, because why the hell would he be? Have you ever heard of a swat cop or a marine in occupied territory being reasoned out of taking out their target? Do you think the SS officers could be reasoned into thinking the untermensch were their equals? You could argue not being able to avoid that fight is bad gameplay, but I don't consider it bad writing.

The Enclave is a faction that can only be challenged with force because force is the only way they engage with the outside world. They can't be permitted to survive because the wastes won't survive unless they make a clean break with the mistakes of the past. I think everything about them, even the absurd mentally damaged vice president, is pointed and thematically appropriate.

:yeah:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah, I don't really trust some automatic process to do it for me. You're better off doing it yourself. At least then when something goes wrong, chances are you'll have a better idea why because you caused it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

PinheadSlim posted:

It's actually really bad so far, and all I've done is walk into the store and talk to the guy behind the counter named "Morgan" who asks me to find his buddy Arthur.

The NPC is fully voiced, but every line is full of lipsmacking and sounds kinda lovely, but what's much worse is what this dork has to say. First I asked him what he sold, and he calls me the hard R-word. Then I ask him to tell me about himself, which was a very big mistake.

He claims to have come from a small town in Florida where he lived with his merchant parents, and apparently his dad was abusive towards him and his mother. So one day Morgan kills his dad and takes all of his merchant profits to gently caress off and open a hotel. That's seriously his goal. For some reason he gets in a boat and just sails west until he gets to Texas, which he claims is filled with inbred hicks and nothing else. He refers to it as "The Lone Chromosome State" before moving on. He then just starts heading West until he hits the Legion, who apparently tried to kill him on sight for some reason. He narrowly avoids them and keeps travelling eventually hearing about New Vegas (Literally just now. Why would he want to travel West to open a hotel if he didn't even know New Vegas or the NCR existed????), so he decides to head there. By the time he's gotten to Vegas he has spent most of his fathers fortune on "Chems, Liquor, and (Unkind name for sex-workers)" so cannot afford to open his dream hotel. Instead he is able to buy some bulk food off of the Crimson Caravan for a good deal (Impressive considering the food shortage), and for literally no reason at all calls Alice McLafferty the c-word. After she gave him a good price for the food. Wtf.

When asked about the NCR he says they're okay, but that he's into "personal liberty" way more and talks about how in an ideal world New Vegas would be completely independent. When asked how he feels about the Legion, he says he feels that anyone following them has an extremely low IQ and deserves to be killed "in the most spectacular fashion imaginable"

I am exactly two minutes and one conversation into this mod.

Oh and I forgot, the item he has the most of in his shops inventory is dog meat? Nine pieces of it lol.

Many (maybe even most) quest mods on the nexus are like that too. Hell, even the much beloved and cherished New Vegas Bounties has a ton of edginess to it. Many NV fans, much like Majora's Mask and Watchman fans, don't really *get* it, and think "it's good because it's dark". Thus the insufferable edge.

Nobody Interesting posted:

E: Turns out the crash is every time I deal damage! :yeah: I did uninstall WMX because of the holy word of Viva New Vegas. Maybe I hosed things by doing that. Also EVE because I finally realised it sucks.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your beef with E.V.E.? I've been using it for years and have always loved it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So uuuh Mike Burnfire just put out a video defending The Frontier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4Q0ExgRPo&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=MikeBurnVlog

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Youtuber who plays fallout New Vegas mods. If you've seen a video called "Zach's gun rants compilation" that's from Mike's channel.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm one of those sick fucks that enjoys Fallout inventory management and loves weighted ammo.

Same. I love Inventory management, managing my health, food, water, sleep, everything. I think Fallout New Vegas introducing survival gameplay elements was brilliant and should have been in the series from the start. I mean the series is all about trying to survive and thrive in the post-apocalypse. I can't believe it took them 6 games until they added eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics.

I never play NV without the JSawyer mod these days

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 18, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Defiance Industries posted:

To be fair, the first and ESPECIALLY the second games take place in a massively larger area.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Clark County and the DC Metro or all of Northern California, yeah.

ok yeah, good point. But it still frustrates me in any game that has food and drink items that you don't need

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

This is amazing :vince: https://adifferenttime.tumblr.com/post/635162336385253376

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

lmao at recommending fuckin Electro City in 2021

Sure is nice to be back in 2013 again lmfao

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

It's really frustrating because NV's og character models have not aged well. They don't look nearly as bad as Oblivion's infamous potato head men but they're still pretty derpy looking so it would be nice to have a mod that just makes all the NPCs look a bit more human without turning all the women into anime supermodels.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

Thinking of doing an Energy Weapons/Science!/Science!/Science! run, never done that before. Any interesting builds or ~synergies~ to go for?

Was looking at related perks and Vigilant Recycler says for GRA Ammos: "All optimized cells share the same basic effects of increasing damage output by 30%, reducing the enemy DT by -5 and increase weapon degradation rate by 10%."

That seems quite a huge boost. Mojave Arsenal has an option to completely disable that part of the perk, but then what's left is not quite as interesting anymore.

I'm surprised that jsawyer didn't nerf that perk or is it already balanced as is by the weapon degradation? rope kid, any thoughts?

I think I'll trying reducing the damage boost to 10% or something, but that DT -5 is huge too, isn't it? Maybe nerf both I guess.

I just finished an energy weapons run a couple of days ago. I've been playing on the PS3 version. (god help me lol I wanted the trophies) My character's quirk was that I was an evil mad scientist who wanted to take over the world with an army of robots so an evil karma yes man playthru basically. My Tag skills were Energy Guns, Science, and Repair. I had Low strength and charisma, but max perception and intelligence. Traits were Small Frame and Four Eyes (because I was a neeeeeeerd).

My own challenges were to kill all the main and side factions so no one would be left to oppose me, acquire every unique energy weapon, and take every science-y or energy weapon related perk. Besides all the freezing, crashes, and frame rates drops, (which made the game nigh unplayable by the end of the run like during the hoover dam battle but I trudged on thru. I'm never playing the PS3 version again after I get the platy lol) it was a blast. Personally, I don't see why you want to nerf those perks, part of the fun of an energy weapons build is taking those powerful perks and going ham. So grab the holorifle and the Laer, take the meltdown perk, and have some fun :getin:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I know....At first it wasnt too bad but once I hit like hour 50 and I was getting crashes every hour I realized I made a horrible mistake lol

v1ld posted:

A very good point. Want to try Light Touch in addition to being an Energy Weapons user, so I think I'll play a scientist who is in sciency light armor all the time - after REPCONN anyway, since the Space Suit is there. Given the fragility that will follow, may as well embrace being a glass (energy) cannon.

Yeah same on both counts lol I used the space suit too until I got the mad scientist scrubs from OWB and my character was also quite the glass cannon (playing on very hard and hardcore mode with 2 endurance will do that lol)

Rinkles posted:

how do people feel about the training requirement for power armor? i mean there isn't that much PA in NV, and it makes you slow af, but it feels off not to be able use it if you don't bother with the brotherhood (or arcade). i've never disabled the requirement cause i tend not to want to mess with developer intent when it comes to making things easier, but it's always bothered me.

maybe there should be an alternative way of getting trained? idk.

Funny you mention that, as Ropekids Jsawyer mod gets rid of the training requirement IIRC

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

Was that the original AWOP or AWO(Less)P? Would rather drop the latter if it's crashy.

Neither? Like I said I was playing on the PS3 version so no mods lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rinkles posted:

i never realized ranger and recon armors qualified

e:also i forgot or never knew the chinese stealth suit was in FNV.

There's a room in Hoover Dam with some

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Is that in the base game? I found that once years ago, but I always figured it was added by FOOK or Project Nevada or whatever mod I was using at the time that's dated as poo poo now.

Yes it is in fact in the base game! :)

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it has t.he stealth field from 3 though. Just a bonus to sneak

This is correct.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The EVE guy eventually started working in indie game development after repeatedly slagging the people at Bethesda and Obsidian for being incompetent. Kind of amazing in its own right.

Modding is so loving cool, but some modders are real trash.

Yeah I love EVE but that guy is a prick. I remember him going on some weird anti political correctness rant out of no where in the info page of his borderlands damage numbers mod for NV. He later edited most of it out but some of it is still there last time I checked

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So what's so bad with beyond boulder dome anyway? I've never gotten around to playing it. Is it just the usual bad fanfic tier writing common in mods? Or is it really dark and edgelordy or what?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Survival mode owns. I do find it (sorry) IMMERSIVE. The only problem is it doesn't go far enough, so you need mods like Jsawyer to really give it some punch

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

counterpoint: companions dying makes me sad

I always just reload when they die. With your companions being vulnerable, it means you can't just let them throw themselves into combat, do some damage, and then get harmlessly knocked out and you finish off what's left. You've got to really plan out how you're going to approach any combat encounter which is neat I think.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rinkles posted:

looks like the latest NVSE plugin will among other things let modders play with rumble controls

Functions:
    DegToRad / RadToDeg
    ScancodeToChar
    GetAngleQuadrant
    GetQuestCompletedAlt (thanks onvil & demorome)
    Sinh / Cosh / Tanh
    SetWeaponAnimJamTime
    SetWeaponAnimReloadTime
    SetWeaponAnimShotsPerSec
    SetWeaponFireDelayMin
    SetWeaponFireDelayMax
    SetWeaponRumbleDuration
    SetWeaponRumbleRightMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleLeftMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleWavelength

AnhNVSE

Hell yeah! After playing the console version lately, I realized how much I missed playing with Rumble. Its really a must for any game that lets you use guns imo

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I never played an elder scrolls but I imagine oblivion had more in depth melee combat than NV

Hahahaha no. It had way less! There were no special moves. Only basic attack, charged attack, and block. That's it. Ditto for Skyrim too!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Holy poo poo Vortex is loving abysmal. Slow as gently caress, keeps crashing on me, It's so slooooooooow, won't stop glitching out (It turns off my mods right after I turn them on???) and did I mention it's slow?

What's the mod organizer that the cool kids use these days? I've been away from the modding scene for a couple of years now

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 29, 2022

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

MO2. The Viva New Vegas guide is an easy way to set it and other baseline stuff up: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Thank you!

watho posted:

mod organizer has been the only reasonable choice (with very few exceptions) for what? a decade at this point? you will need to learn the interface and how it works but that minimal initial investment will save you countless of hours of headache using any other mod manager

I admit I was one of those maniacs who just did everything manually in the past, but yeah, I'll learn MO2. Thanks for the advice!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I know the viva las vegas guide says not to use ENBs, but say I was going to use one anyway, ya'll got any recommendations?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So, I'm trying to get 3 separate friends into New Vegas, but every one of them has felt totally overwhelmed by the Viva New Vegas guide when they tried to set everything up. Are there anything more minimalist when it comes to modding guides? This is their first time playing so they just need the bare minimal that makes the game not glitch out all the time lol

(edit) Specifically, 2 of them that tried playing totally vanilla at first have had issues with the NPCs getting all stretched out like the game's collision is breaking or something.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 22, 2023

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zereth posted:

They could use Wabbajack to set it up for them. Works best if you have a nexus premium sub you can share or something, of course.

Hmm looking at the "gallery" section of the Wabbajacks site I only see 2 NV mod lists, both of which are tale of two wasteland centered modlists which are definitely not what we want. Are those the only Wabbajack modlists? Or are there more? Sorry if this a clueless question, as I've mentioned before I've been away from NV modding for a while.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zereth posted:

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/wabbajack.html Detailed instructions on how to use wabbajack for it.

Thanks! We'll give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ok that sounds like the way to go. Thanks folks!