Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I feel like playing this game again, but all the links I've tried in the OP are broken. What mods are good/essential these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/index.html

This is what I use nowadays. The Core list has all your essentials. I can't really speak for most of the others since I like things mostly vanilla but I do enjoy Mojave Wildlife/Mojave Raiders/The Living Desert/Uncut Wasteland to populate the world and make it a bit more interesting.
Does this website say what exaclty the mod does somewhere on it? I can't find anything

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wow i wish i'd read that before I got through Core and Visuals

oh well i'll finish up tomorrow, i'm not liking the looks of a lot of the stuff in the gameplay section

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I went through the entire ini

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gently caress I moved on to adding gameplay mods without making a backup of my working-last-night core + visuals setup and now it crashes as soon as it gets in-game

EDIT: even if I go back to the "just core" profile??

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Woebin posted:

Welcome to modding, it's great! Try posting your load order?

https://pastebin.com/q5Ake87Z

This is after I tried deleting the new mods i installed, I have no idea what's going on

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can I create like an entirely separate instance of mod organizer to try and start over or something

EDIT: for that matter how would I properly wipe out all the mods in order to start over?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 17, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also, this guide does not explain why it's having me make these "merge" things, and my best suspect is installing a patch into something that I'd already put into a merge. Do I actually need to do that, or can I skip that step?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I guess I better start over cleanly. But I'm not sure how to do that, would just uninstalling all the mods and deleting anything left in the Mods folder be enough?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If you have decent download speeds (I'm assuming it's a digital copy of New Vegas) I'd nuke the entire install and start over.

and if you do that, make sure to run the game at least once before modding.
Oh, running the "no mods" profile works.

The "Core" backup, though, doesn't. EDIT: "Core" being a segment of the Viva New Vegas guide if whoever's reading this isn't familiar

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 17, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

At this point I'd just run the wabbajack installer. It'll make an absolutely clean perfect install, it doesn't keep anything from old installs except for anything you've added to the New Vegas root folder

I really do recommend double checking some of the tweaks though. Something that I disliked was removing the highlight abilities of Boone/rex/ed-e. With the darker nights and interiors in the pack they're missed. Easy to change in fnvedit
Does the wabbajack installer let me stop and go off-script after the Visuals part because I don't want all these big changes it starts putting in at the Gameplay part

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Try running the bare minimum of mod installs and see if thst works.

Bare minimum would be:

New Vegas Anti-Crash (NVAC)
NVSE plug-in
4GB launcher
New Vegas Tick Fix.

Those are the foundation of not just modded playthroughs but of even launching the game.
Yeah those were manual so they were still in, those worked I deleted everything and then started over and as soon as I finished the very first part of core that had actual mods in it, bam, crashes in under a second when I get in game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have redownloaded new vegas itself now and gently caress it, Wabbajack time I guess. It still works if I don't have premium nexus, right, just... slowly?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

When you say first part of core that has mods do you mean this page? https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-utilities.html

If so it's gotta be those .ini edits for the tick fix. I don't think I've ever done those and I always just use the default values.
No, this page: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-bugfix.html

I think I ignored those ini edits becuase I recently upgraded my computer and things which are just for improved performance seem unnecessary

also wabbjack does in fact seem to need premium and I don't think I want to do this hard enough to pay money

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

That's weird, all of those should be fine.

Are you loading a previous save or starting fresh? Also I don't know if you're aware but with MO you can easily turn off a mod by unchecking one of the boxes on the left hand window. You can always start turning off the mods until you can narrow down what's causing the issue.
Starting fresh, and I got well past that before and it still worked the first time!

... Ohhhhhhh! Okay, I see now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Annnnd the wabbajack install is crashing when I pick a choice for hardcore mode. :negative:

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to disable the "economy overhaul"

EDIT: wait, I think jesawyer ultimate is out of place, too

EDIT EDIT: oh no I think it's something in the ini edits I did to the stewie tweaks or jsawyer ultimate

3edit: it's the stewie tweakes ini. drat it what did I do in that that hosed things up

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 18, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

How did you disable stuff? A lot of things are quite baked in and just disabling an ESP might break things. What changes did you make? If you jump on the Wabbajack discord and post in new Vegas general it might be easier to help you. There is a dedicated VNV Wabbajack channel which will give
100% terrific support but only if you don't deviate in modlist so it's probably best to post in the general one depending on how you've changed things
I reopened wabbajack to reset it to default and then just disabled economy overhaul and economy overhaul addendum in the left. It seems to have worked this time! I went through the istewie tweaks ini that came with the wabbajack one and made not quite as many changes this time and things worked! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey, if it works it works haha

Feel free to hit me up if you encounter any snags. There are a few bugs and janky things in the Modpack that I've just manually patched or changed for creative reasons so with a large list you can definitely find yourself tuning it to perfection
I am kinda fragile! I am wearing some of the best armor I found that isn't the Brotherhood power armor I found on some random guy that makes people who would normally be friendly attack me, or something I'd have to sink a lot of money into repairing. (I mean, the guy had a diary explaining why he had it, but he was just standing around a campfire I went to look at and got mad at me for not leaving fast enough)

Is there some mod config or something I should adjust to make myself a bit more sturdy? I've seen at least one which affects damage, but it affects all damage, period, and enemies seem about right.

I also had to change a think in the tweaks ini that said it only affected hardcore mode in order to make sleeping restore health.

EDIT: like I probably could afford repairing a Metal Armor or something but I'm trying to save up for the stat implants

more edit: wait, is there a way to like, launder the faction markings off the brotherhood armor?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 18, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hobo on Fire posted:

This would be an easy enough mod to make yourself. New workbench recipe, input ingredients would be the Brotherhood version of the armor (and maybe some abraxo for scrubbing the markings off?) and the output would be the non-faction armor. Set requirements to taste - what score of which skill is needed, which crafting station to make it at, etc. Wouldn't need to fiddle with anything else.

Wouldn't be perfect... If I remember right, the condition of any armor or weapon created at a crafting station would be dependent on your character's repair skill - not the condition of the "ingredients." Still, this is a mod that could be made in just a few minutes, and would get the factionless armor to your character without any great difficulty - you'd just have to remember to hold off on repairs until after you convert it.
Okay but how easy would it be if I've never made my own mod for a bestheda game in my life?

Also, wait, if I'm having trouble getting hurt/killed, maybe I could... turn down... the difficulty... :thunk:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JawKnee posted:

I still use the faction ID cards mod, which I think is pretty good

this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36920
Oh that looks nice, thanks

EDIT: now I need to find some poo poo to repair the two (both Brotherhood) power armors i've found so far with. hopefully I run into some raiders with metal armor of some sort on, thanks Jury Rig perk

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 21, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay I am looking for housing mod recommendations, i'm currently using the Survivalist Bunker but it sorts things weirdly, seems to only have one container that isn't used by the sorters, and the oven doesn't seem to let me do all the campfire recipes.

I'd ideally like something where I can craft with stuff in the storage, but having all the crafting stations in arms reach of each other and some storage would be enough. Also having auto-sorting would be nice but not essential.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, huh, Afterschool Special is already in my install. I better go look at it, how do I start that up?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Found it, I had to pick up a note on the floor.

That blends into the trash texture on the floor.

Also the guy I needed to talk to teleported off to loving Black Mountain partway through the quest??

EDIT: I was about to go to bed but somebody just started doing tree work right outside so I guess I'll go trek everything from the old house to the new house

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bogart posted:

Yeah. The quest is a bit buggy unfortunately but plenty of people swear by the home. Me, I’m Lombard 4 life
What's Lombard like, since it doesn't have a mod page (or, uh, working link in the op) to check?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay now that I know it's possible (the Sortomatic features list includes it :toot: )I definitely want a house that offers the "Craft from storage" function, and the schoolhouse doesn't seem to have that.

EDIT: being able to somehow exclude items from being autosorted would be nice too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you have the Sortomatic version of Afterschool Special interact with a crafting bench while in sneak mode to bring up a menu and that should be an option.
Hm. Nothing happens. Did Wabbajack get the non sortomatic version?

EDIT: ah

Do I need to pick everything back up and drag it outside before I do this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bony tony posted:

I use this mod! It's the Sink. Obsidian gave you a hella overpowered home base in vanilla game, and it seems reasonable to use it.The mod just adds more clutter, and makes the area feel more lived-in.

I also use Jaxonz Positioner to lock down all the physics objects, so they won't fling around and play silly-buggers.
The Sink does have some nice features but I don't want to have to dismiss five (so far) people and pick them back up again every time I want to go to my house to drop off the results of combing all the loot out of a location.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hi I may be an idiot but I've never understood the point of bases in Fallout/Elder Scrolls. If I wanted to keep something but not take it with me I put it in a barrel or something.
What if the barrels could be read by the crafting bench next to them and you didn't need to juggle everything every time you wanted to craft an item, though! :thunk:

New Vegas you also need a lot of random junk around to use repairing your gear.

I prefer it to infinite carry weight, really, since dealing with the pipboy inventory interface in Fallout 3/New Vegas is a pain if there's too much poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

This explanatory aspect of VNV makes it a lot easier to skip mods you don't like,
Unless your install suddenly stops working partway through ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fortunately my biggest concern, the "make everything except armor and weapons way more expensive" change, you can just disable without problems

EDIT: also yes, go through the stewie and jsawyer inis with a fine tooth comb

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

What happened?

My VNV install was pretty incredible, I got my first crash at 101 hours. Which is a new record for me. I did add new Vegas heap replacer though, Qolore mentioned he's adding it in the next guide revision and it's EXCELLENT
Partway through installing it, I mean. IIRC you offered help during that.

I think my only crashes once I actually got things going were when I told the computer in the schoolhouse to grab all the something off the shelves. Because I have been carrying literally everything of value back whenever i loot somewhere. Things stopped vanishing into the aether only to sometimes reappear in the homeless items chest once I turned the crafting stations off "draw from all storage" though so I stopped wanting to try and do that to find where some gear I didn't want sorted went.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 9, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, sortomatic.

The actual symptoms were that stuff would just... be nowhere. Or be in the Homeless Items Box, but not long enough for me to open it before they vanished into nowhere, and then reappear there when I tried to sort my inventory at the button again. I turned the crafting stations to only check each other instead of literally everything in the house and it resumed working fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

theshim posted:

I looked at some of the stuff in VNV. A bunch of the tweaks and gameplay changes (particularly the stuff in the stewie one) really look to me like stuff that just makes the game more annoying to play, rather than more interesting or actually difficult. Am I just a weak babby coward for thinking a lot of this is uninteresting and unfun?
The thing about the stewie is you can just... turn all that off, since it's controlled by an ini file. Every change it makes is something you can turn on or off.

Bogart posted:

Imo, download the INI Tweaks mod and then just pick the ones you like. There's a bunch of good stuff in there, but the VNV writer is antifun in that regard.

also download 'no fall damage' mods and never look back
that's a thing you can turn on in the stewie! there's an option for no fall damage period.

The version of jsawyer in viva new vegas also has an ini file where you can turn off some of the stuff. Or make it so you get a perk every level, or such.

And the "economy overhaul" which according to its description on Nexus effectively makes everything but armor and weapons much more expensive (because it makes those much cheaper and reduces the caps merchants have to trade, but doesn't change the price of anything else) can be disabled fine if you used the wabbajack install.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm not sure how to disable something that's in a merge but otherwise, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CFox posted:

This drove me crazy last time I modded. JSawyer switched to an .ini file for changes and doesn't use Mod Organizer anymore. This is buried deep in one of the changelogs for one of the previous versions. I think the .ini file is in the NVSE folder like everything else.
If you used wabbackack the left panel has its own entry for the ini file. EDIT: but it doesn't say "ini" in it iirc, it says "config".

Skwirl posted:

It's probably in the .ini tweaks mod from iStewie
Yeah I think I remember seeing an entry for that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Viva New Vegas wabbajack gets you most of that. If you shell out of premium for a month on nexus it shouldn't even take that long. I don't think it has teh 114 new locations mod, though, and I don't know if it'd go in smoothly.

Importantly if you just run the wabbajack Viva new Vegas thing and don't make any major changes, it will work if you did everything correctly, and there's much less opportunity to screw up since wabbajack is handling most of it for you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aster0ids posted:

Ive skimmed through this thread rapidly, and looked at wabbajack. I see only one "build" for new vegas, and its not the viva one?

Edit: i think i see how
Click "all" in the gallery and select "fallout new vegas" from the dropdown that appears.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Economy Overhaul mods can be pulled out safely from the wabbajack install, though, if you don't like them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doesn't New Vegas have something like that built in?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I very much appreciated that the old Viva New Vegas guide told you why it was including a given mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

The chariot tractor owns and fits the Legion's dumb roman cosplay schtick. There's plenty in the mod to knock but that thing is the right kind of silly.
Isn't that thing form Legion concept art that didn't make it into New Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's got a config file which lets you adjust most of the changes to your liking.