Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

Is Classic Fallout Weapons recommended? I don't really like the look of the textures but that could be just in the screenshots or something, someone sway me either way.

The textures are by far the worst part of the mod. If a couple weapons having awful textures bothers you then don't use it, otherwise go right ahead. Personally, I care more about weapons not being overpowered and fitting well with the damage spread that New Vegas has established, and CFW passes the test in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Habits posted:

Is there anything like Marts Mutant Mod out?

No, the guy who makes MMM is still supporting his FO3 version and hasn't begun work on an NV version yet. The closest thing we have is a mod that adds more spawns to the wasteland of existing creatures.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

There are quite a few overhauls that do what you're asking for, it's just a matter of trying them out and seeing which one you like best. I use a modified version of hardercore's wealth plugin in order to modify leveled lists for ammo/health. I modified it in FO3Edit to take out the unnecessary changes the guy makes to water and other consumables since I use the more complex needs mod as well.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35715

If you don't like this one then you can always look up XFO and take a look at that author's tweaks, which tone down the frequency but don't increase the possibility of finding unusable junk in containers, which hardercore does.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

That's good. Speaking of which, why did that guy think it would be smart to make his mod rely on using a whole big mod like FOOK? That poo poo dumbfounds me sometimes

I honestly never got the appeal of FOOK in the first place, it's generally a nightmare to find poo poo compatible with it unless you only use the 5 most popular mods on the nexus.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Nice, I've been after a simple grenade hotkey mod. Thanks :) What's the consensus on Reload? It looks fun, but after Earache's and Ahztek's weapon replacers I'm a bit cautious.

If you use classic fallout weapons new vegas, reload is incompatible, so it's one OR the other. The texture quality for both mods is about even, reload has nothing that looks as absolutely lovely as one or two textures do in CFW but it also adds quite a few less weapons. Reload also makes casting ammo really loving complicated, you need special equipment and a whole bunch of poo poo that just seems to ruin some of the fun of the game to me.

That said, Reload seems like the spiritual successor to CALIBER from FO3, and the team seems quite a bit more level-headed and less bitchy than the guy who develops CFWNV. I definitely think that it's a mod that you should track, but I wouldn't say it's necessary to use it yet. There are also problems with the way that the current version handles vendor leveled lists that haven't been quite worked out yet, resulting in many items not respawning as they should. There is a new version being developed as we speak, however, so keep an eye on this and see how it develops!

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 29, 2010

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

lethial posted:

I was going to get this mod last week until I saw the list of things that the mod also add, which you have somehow disabled. How did you manage to do that? I thought those are items that doesn't actually have configuration menus for.

thanks

C brings up a menu to disable features. Keep in mind that just because a feature is disabled doesn't mean that you're not also causing conflicts with a mod that comes earlier in your load order. It's best to put this before conflicting mods in your load order just to be safe.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 29, 2010

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The best advice is just not to go overboard until you've played the game a bit and know what you want to change. You'll probably want to stay away from the overhauls like XFO or Arwen's until you're sure that you really want the changes that they bring. There are a couple of mods that have literally no downside and there's no reason not to use them on a first playthrough, like Electro-City or Arenovalis' retextures, but New Vegas is a drat good game in its own right and mods aren't necessary to make it enjoyable.

Preventing yourself from going crazy with the idea of changing everything right off the bat runs less risk of ruining your gameplay experience with buggy mod installations and helps you fine tune your gaming experience a bit better. Most of the major stuff in the OP is still a WIP, and can fluctuate between buggy and bug-free depending on the day of the week

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 29, 2010

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

That's normal. It's Bethesda and Gamebryo. Just be thankful the game is autosave happy.

It's really not normal for New Vegas, which is remarkably stable without mods.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Your electro-city load is all hosed up, I advise you to read the readmes for it. For one, you're using darker nights and emittance together, where it's supposed to be one OR the other. And for two, you're using the original nevada skies ESP with the nevada skies replacer ESP, which I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to be done either.

In other news someone has finally begun a mod to make objects destructible. So far we have destructible bottles of alcohol, with the promise of frequent updates:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39083

I also made a compatibility patch for this and more complex needs - sorted if anyone wants it. My compat patch also adds the vodka explosion effect to scotch bottles as well since the mod author left those out.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 31, 2010

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Terpfen posted:

My personal experience with enhanced shaders wasn’t very pleasant. I have an overclocked Q6600 and a 4850 X2. The enhanced shaders would cut my framerate in half, guaranteed.

I don’t think they add much to the experience, even though the screenshots are quite pretty. Downloading the detailed normal texture pack and some sort of depth of field mod would be a much better route, IMO.

Yeah I have a similar experience with similar system specs, Enhanced Shaders was nothing but a FPS hog and whatever effect it had on making the game look better was negated by the fact that it made most areas run like poo poo. I use http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35615 which is a depth of field mod that actually doesn't slow your system down to a crawl and it gives so much more bang for the buck than enhanced shaders did.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 2, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mister Bung posted:

That's the list according to the BOSS Auto Sort so I dunno. It might be ELECTRO CITY, that was the last thing I installed?

Looks fine to me, make sure you're using the most recent version of Electro-City. I actually suspect it might have something to do with the NV Redesigned mod, though.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question:

How do you install mods with FOMM that have "updates" or multiple different "packs" but same name?

For example, Tailor Maid has two different sets, but when trying to use FOMM they but have the same name and will only let me activate one of them at the same time.

Something similar happens with the Fallout New Vegas Redesign, it has a main file and an update, but when activating the update the mods from the main pack just disappear from the list.

I'm not sure what Tailor Maid stuff you're trying to install exactly but it sounds like you're misunderstanding the mod and that the ESPs you're trying to use are actually different versions of the mod instead of files that compliment each other. Using both at once somehow is likely to lead to nothing but bugs. You can't use the MAIN version with the NO ENCH version, for example. It's one or the other since they both add the same items but one version has stat enchantments and the other doesn't.

New Vegas Redesigned is the same, you are supposed to overwrite the prior files when you install the UPDATES .esp, it's an updated version and not a standalone mod. It's not at all uncommon for mod authors to only upload a much smaller update .esp instead of reuploading an entirely new file to the nexus.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 3, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, I meant for example Tailor Maid NV - Main and Tailor Maid NV Black. Black has the kickass skull mask which the main doesn't have, but the main has other cool stuff. When I use FOMM and the "Add FOMod" to add them, it adds them with the same name and I can only activate one or the other.

Main and Black are mutually exclusive, you can only use one or the other. You should only be activating the Updates ESP for Redesigned, since it's the most recent version. You can say no all you want by the way but I'm exactly right in what I'm telling you, when stuff has the same name it's meant to replace and not be used in tandem with.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, if I have something like Redesigned with a main file and an update file, I should just add both with the package manager and then activate the latest one?

Update ESPs are tricky. The problem is that the updated ESP is only an updated mod file but you still need all of the resources from the original file - meshes, textures, etc. You can't actually activate mods like this in FOMM, not unless the author re-packs all of the stuff into one file and reuploads. You'll need to install them the old fashioned way by first copying everything from the version 1.0 file to your data folder and then doing the same with the UPDATE file, overwriting when prompted. Optionally you could re-pack the zip file yourself and replace the original ESP with the UPDATE ESP I guess, then activate THAT mod in FOMM. Just make sure that you're packing everything mesh and texture-wise from the original file along with the ESP from the Update file.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 3, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any mods to add a cigarette, loud shirt and bucket hat to the Courier, so I can be Hunter S. Postapocalypse?

No, seriously - are there?

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38002

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38892

The shirt seriously can't be that hard to find. The hat is the wrong color but its close at least.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

I don't know if this has been said before but the "Highways and Byways" component of the ELECTRO CITY mod seems to break the "Booted" quest. It replaces one of the Powder Ganger captives with an engineer who, when you enter the cell, is immediately executed by the Legion lounging about the area. It happens too quickly and too far away for you to intervene. When this happens, the quest auto-fails.

I can only assume it's because the engineer is tagged as NCR.

There's a fix for this up already, update your version of Electro-City.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Imp's More Complex Needs New Vegas is a great addition to hardcore IMO, it just expands the already existing food/drink/sleep needs of hardcore mode and splits them out into calories, nutrients, protein, hydration and sleep debt. You are rewarded for being well fed and for following a natural circadian sleep rhythm with stat boosts that are actually pretty substantial, and penalized in the same way if you're deficient in those categories. He also tweaks alcohol usage to make it halfway decent, adds a ton more recipes, and makes it so meat eventually goes bad if it isn't refrigerated, with the option to turn ED-E into a portable fridge if you want to. Presuming you already like having existing food/drink requirements in hardcore this in no way makes playing the game more difficult or "overblown", it just adds some variety to the need to eat and drink every now and then by making you select your foods a bit more carefully.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37254

XFO is definitely what you should be using for the rebalancing aspect of the game, its modular nature is great for reducing mod conflicts. Arwen's overhaul actually makes radiation deadly but I don't know if I could recommend it for the moment since it hasn't been updated since the patch, especially since she seems unable or unwilling to address certain issues with quests where the passing of time during a blackscreen will kill you from dehydration.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 7, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

This Is Not An Exit posted:

I decided to throw a handful of possibly conflicting mods in last night and now I'm getting CTDs almost immediately after launching the game. Reload and CFWNV had been working together for some time, but this may be the problem. I put in Feng Shui, a handful of individual weapons, and Imps needs as well. Here's my load order. I'm hoping it's simply a problem with that, but the BOSS auto sort has been keeping me afloat thus far. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Firstly, you should learn how to use FNVEdit to view and manage conflicts, as well as how to order things yourself, especially if you're going to use that many mods. BOSS for NV sucks, plain and simple. I've personally witnessed many, many conflicts using BOSS to sort my mods and I have many of the same mods you do. Right off the bat I can see that CFWNV and Reload do in fact conflict, this is something that the mod author of CFWNV has refused to address since he believes that making the two compatible is a lost cause.

Also, why are you using an electro-city/lumenarium plugin if you're not using either of those mods? You should just be using a standalone version of Nevada Skies, not to mention the fact that the Electro-city/Lumenarium Nevada Skies plugin actually conflicts with the standalone version. So you have two mods there that are conflicting with each other (Nevada Skies.esp, LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp) and there's no reason I can see for it since you're not even using either of the mods that're supposed to be used in tandem with the electro-city/Lumenarium replacer. If you tried to install Electro-City, you've failed. Go back and read the readme and try again. If this is just a remnant of an old installation, delete it.

Feng Shui NV Keymap Template has been known to cause CTDs, and for whatever reason you're using not one but two versions of it, so that could also be a cause of the crashes. That's all that stands out right off the bat.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The only thing I dislike about XFO is the skill point rebalance and the method it uses to edit leveled lists for ammo and health items. The SP rebalance actually give you MORE SP in my opinion since it doubles tag skills, and I personally think that Hardercore does the health item/ammo rebalance better by adding junk to leveled lists. That's the great thing about XFO though, it's modular. Still, I really can't wait for the FWE folks to release their take on it.

Oh, someone else mentioned how it makes creatures too easy, and I agree with that too, but I think Cream of Plenty has a fix that he's willing to share for it.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 8, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Swartz posted:

Take a look at this mod: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39009

It uses NVSE to do it, but he bound one of the keys to shoving people. Look through what he did and just copy it and tweak it.

Is there a mod that adds a knife or melee weapon hotkey like this one without adding all the other stuff? That honestly would be pretty cool and goes right up there with the grenade hotkey in usefulness.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Desty posted:

Hi, mod thread, please help my stupid rear end out. I just installed a load of stuff from the OP, but I'm getting some weird conflicts and crashes. Some of my inventory pictures are coming up as magenta squares, I've got the red diamonds in game sometimes, a couple characters have some truly weird-rear end texture errors, and I get a crash every time I try to open a computer terminal. None of these problems were present previously, so I'm trying to pin down which mod or mods are causing the problem. Have a load order.

It sounds like you don't have archive invalidation correctly applied, that would account for all of the texture and icon errors. This wouldn't be responsible for any of your crashes but your load order for all of your WME plugins is wrong as well. I'm not sure what mod is causing the terminal crash, you're better off installing mods one at a time and checking as you go so you can pinpoint poo poo like this.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

The guy does pretty well with males but Cass in particular turned into Anne Hathaway with a nose job and three facelifts.

Yeah, honestly I am not sure I'm alone in thinking that the New Vegas redesigned stuff has just about as big a variation in quality as the models in the base game. There are plenty of quality character designs in vanilla New Vegas and while we're being honest the vanilla FO3 character designs weren't that bad either. This kind of poo poo was a must-have in Oblivion but Gamebryo's facial character designs haven't bothered me too much since.

Mods like New Vegas redesigned really do have a large number of conflicts, too, which is why I generally don't bother unless it's really broken. Anything that hand-changes a bunch of NPCs is going to be bad news when it comes to conflicts.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Actually, seeing stuff like this makes me rather tempted to give quest-making a try myself, but I don't know if I'd have the stamina or the patience for it. Best I could really see myself doing would be to help someone else with it - adding bits and pieces of story, checking environments, etc. Would still be a LOT of work, of course.

This is actually one of my favorite things about the mods developed by PuceMoose, every location has a very well thought out backstory and notes/terminals that tell the story and afford deeper progression into the mod's subplot. I can't wait until we see a followup mod from him since Tales of the Burning Sands I, while great in its own right, isn't as involved as some of his other mods.

You know if you're really interested maybe you can ping the guy who develops World of Pain and offer to write backstories for some of his locations. I'm sure he'd actually really appreciate the help and you might learn a bit of modding in the process. My understanding of A World of Pain was that it's still a WIP.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Demerzel posted:

I have to disagree, I think in general the quality is much higher than in stock, even on the low end. About the only character that I don't like more is Veronica, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is worse quality, it's definitely higher quality I just don't like her looks.

Maybe a strong statement but I think he did an excellent job, especially for unpaid labor, and it is noticeably higher realism especially with throwaway characters.

Eh, fair enough. A warning to anyone thinking of using New Vegas redesigned though - the guy who made it has obviously not patched his game and using this mod re-breaks Veronica and sets everyone else's leveling multiplier too high. I haven't found any other issues with it, but in the case of Veronica this can have a pretty major effect.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 12, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Saw your comment on the Nexus...how difficult would it be to open up the files in GECK and do the changes yourself? I'm considering doing this if I know what variables I need to change.

EDIT: Started poking around in the patched FalloutNV.esm and the NVRedesigned.esm / Lore.esp and yeah, you're right. For example, Boone has been patched to have a level multiplier of 0.75 with a min of 5 and max of 40. The New Vegas Redesigned has him set to a level multiplier of 1.00 and min 5 max 20. I'm going to go through and make the corrections, but do you think Veronica is going to be a special case? The changes I'm currently comparing are limited to the "stats" tab of each companion's actor list.

It's not difficult at all, I only reported it to the mod author because there are obviously a lot of people who will be unwittingly breaking Veronica because of it. It's actually fairly easy to fix the file yourself in FNVEdit without even needing to boot up the GECK, just drag and drop the poo poo you want (stats, etc.) from FNV.esm to the NV Redesigned ESM.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:doh:

Oh well, too late. I did it manually through GECK. Curiously, only Boone, Veronica, and Cass were broken (Arcade might have been, but I can't remember if I ended up changing him.) I see where Veronica was seriously broken, though. She isn't even scaled to the player at all and starts off at level 14.

I don't think the NV Redesigned guy actually made any changes to the face of Arcade, even though he does curiously still include a dupe of his record in the mod as if he were.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Now maybe you might know how to disable companions auto-regenerating health after combat?

Unfortunately scripting is a bit out of my knowledge base, I suspect we'll see this feature added before long when project nevada is released though. As great as XFO is I think PN Is going to end up being the de-facto king of overhauls once all is said and done.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're probably right. I've had an eye on PN for a while and I have to be honest, I'm not too excited about the direction they're taking augmentations / cyberware, especially the art. Considering that's a large part of their overhaul (even though it's modular), if you take that away it doesn't seem like they're doing much different than XFO. The descriptions for each mod almost sound the same.

I'm on the other side of the equation I think, I'm actually really impressed with the cyberware stuff. I don't know if I would've said adding implants and turning the game into deus ex would be a must have but it seems like they've been professionally implementing it and it's probably good enough to be worth a try.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The same guy who makes this also reimplements a lot of other poo poo from FO3 back into the crafting environment:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=2152853

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I hadn't noticed this before but Ahztek's overhaul has been ported to New Vegas:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37342

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I went back to playing Fallout 3 recently and I was actually kind of awestruck by how much better the ambience was at night, something about Fellout, winter weather and wasteland lighting created a uniquely desolate world that I actually kind of missed when I went back to New Vegas.

Click here for the full 1536x960 image.

Click here for the full 1536x960 image.

However, I knew that the exact same effect didn't work as well in New Vegas. Fellout alone didn't really make days feel like you were in the desert, and nights in Vegas were drowned out by its light filters. Emittance got Fellout one step closer by making the nights very similar to what I wanted, but the tradeoff was that the days were still too dreary.

It took endless amounts of tweaking but I finally got the night effect I wanted, URWL + an independent darker nights mod with nevada skies weather and emittance all toggled at the same time. I had to move the load order a bit from what the mod authors typically recommend but I managed to get everything to look fantastic without the need for any additional compatibility patches. The days from URWL are untouched, so I still have the daytime effect I prefer as well.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 13, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Horns posted:

That actually looks pretty great, better than what I've managed to get to. What combination of mods/load order are you using?

Somewhere near the bottom of your load order you should have this and in this order, load order is really important in this case since some of these mods overlap. Highways and Byways is optional of course.

LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp
URWLNV.esp (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35570)
Electro-City - Completed Workorders.esp
Electro-City - Highways and Byways.esp
Electro-City - Emittance.esp
URWLNV Darker Night.esp (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35315)

Once you get in game you select emittance level MED, which is actually very important to getting the desired look. And don't forget to disable the nevada skies weather patterns so that it doesn't bug out URWL.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 13, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Are you using any INI tweaks? I think Electrocity recommends some.

Yeah, I use the ones recommended by Electro-City, which were also repeated by Umph a few posts up.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Has anyone else encountered a bug in any of your saves that causes the entire game to be shrouded in near darkness to where you cant really see anything regardless of the time of day?

You should post your load order, it's most likely a load order problem.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Umph posted:

I have a weird question.

I disabled a building and some other stuff that was in the way of the city I'm building, and now when I go inside a building a pop back out, when the game world reloads there's like a 'ghost' version of the stuff I disabled. It's like a super low rez version of the building I got rid of sitting there.

If I enter a building far away it doesn't happen, only if I'm within a mile or so. Is there a way to stop the game engine from doing this? It effects saves and seems to not want to go away ever once created.

Talking purely out my rear end it sounds like you might've not fully disabled the building, maybe you left in the building's LOD or something. It's hard to say when you're not telling us how you disabled it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Messing around a bit with Enhanced Shaders/SSAO. You certainly get some interesting effects with Enhanced Shaders and I like the option to test new palettes but holy poo poo does the performance suck. That and the SSAO is pretty hack at best, often rendering through other objects. I really only tried this again because the author claimed to have improved the mod's performance recently. I saw a small improvement but not worth switching for.

Note: The below pic is NOT the setup I use all the time, the colors are oversaturated and I uninstalled that palette immediately after taking the below screenshot. It's just an example of the SSAO that Enhanced Shaders uses.

Click here for the full 1512x945 image.

While I'm at it I'll throw in another shameless plug for my darker/better nights setup mentioned earlier, which is something that I do find a bit more playable.

Click here for the full 1313x899 image.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 14, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Roman posted:

All these "realistic lighting" mods just look like fullbright was turned on. I haven't seen one yet that looked good. And I don't care how many lit streetlights you mod in, every single darker night mod just means "can't see two feet in front of my face." Wouldn't the Strip and the moon make things brighter anyway?

I just don't see the appeal of these things everyone else does. Gamebryo doesn't seem to be made for "realistic lighting." I would much rather have something stylized like Infernal Sky.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6977

The first pic was taken using a really exaggerated shader, you really shouldn't look at that and think it's what I use all the time. If you're worried about oversaturation and your colors being too bright, Custom Lighting Overlay can also be used in conjunction with any realistic lighting mod in order to tone the effect way down. Between URWL, Fellout, CLO, Emittance, Nevada Skies, URWL Darker Nights, Lumenarium and Enhanced Shaders there seriously are hundreds of possibilities when it comes to mixing and matching lighting mods with one another, it's not really fair to write them all off because they are actually more customizable than they seem. I use no fewer than 4 at once to get the effect that I like, I was only just testing a fifth in the first pic that I posted.

What you said is exactly the point of using a darker night mod by the way, I also use more complex needs so my character is forced to sleep at night but I always look forward to meandering about in the couple of hours when the sun goes down since the world just seems more dangerous. I'm merely sharing the effect I've been able to create because there actually are people out there who like that sort of thing, myself included. It's one of the reasons why darker night mods are always one of the first things to come out for games like this.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 14, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Technically, you want to delete all of the ESPs and ESMs you have except for the new vegas ESM, default New Vegas BSAs and whatever preorder pack ESMs you have. Meshes, textures, sound, and music folders can all be deleted. When all is said and done you should only have two ESMs activated. You don't want to empty the data folder totally because you'll be deleting stock stuff if you do that.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I usually just rename the Data directory and then Verify Game Files through Steam.

Just remember if you do this that it also resets your .ini changes, so you'll lose archive invalidation and whatever tweaks you've made to your lighting/borderregions/skin tone overrides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

potaties posted:

I'm finally all tricked out and ready for a good modded playthrough, except for the very last step: lighting and weather mods. Honestly, the reason it's so much trouble is that ALL of the big name mods are excellent. I love the days in URWL, the nights in Fellout, the weather effects in Nevada Skies, and Electro-City/Emittance add something I didn't even realize was missing. I haven't even tried using the Interior Lighting Overhaul yet, since I'm having too hard of a time deciding between all of these :smith:

Check out the posts I made on pages 16 (screenshots) and 17 (instructions). You have the same tastes I do and I made those posts for people like you! :) Ah hell I'll just copy and paste 'em.

SheepNameKiller posted:

SheepNameKiller's Guide to Better Darker Nights and URWL

Click here for the full 1313x899 image.

Bonus day pic just to show the effect, mostly unchanged from vanilla URWL.

Click here for the full 1512x945 image.

Somewhere near the bottom of your load order you should have these mods and in this order, load order is really important in this case since some of these mods overlap. Highways and Byways is optional of course.

LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp (see electro-city link below)
URWLNV.esp (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35570)
Electro-City - Completed Workorders.esp http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37908
Electro-City - Highways and Byways.esp (see above)
Electro-City - Emittance.esp (see above)
URWLNV Darker Night.esp http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35315

Once you get in game you select emittance level MED, which is actually very important to getting the desired look. And don't forget to disable the nevada skies lighting in your thermo-hygrograph (under the weather settings, disable all 5 options), if you don't you're going to see Nevada Skies lighting instead of URWL.

I am pretty much close to 100% happy with this setup, but I'm still trying to work on figuring out how Nevada Skies and URWL differ so that I can get the Nevada Skies "Dusk" and "Dawn" lighting, which is vastly superior to URWL. I've already started making a compatibility patch for Nevada Skies that unlocks only its dusk and dawn climates which I should be able to post within a couple of days.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 15, 2011