Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Breaky posted:

Why not raised beds over some thick plastic? At least that way you get to use the ground as a heatsink.

I built one last spring, a yard of dirt for a foundation, a plastic liner, and yard of dirt for the planter. But it suffers from lack of direct sunlight, and when it rains super hard the gutters drill a slot down the middle. This year I'm just doing peas (because the wall does get some good direct sun) and a few mounds of zucchini there.

The saw horse garden was supposed to be a half bag each of: swiss chard, rainbow chard, arugula, lettuce, collards, and spinach.

Speaking of zucchini, at Home Depot my girlfriend picked out a Martha Stewart Organic variety of zukes, Black Beauty. The seed yield has been HORRIBLE, maybe 1/3 sprouted, and half of those were weaklings that I had to cull. Took me 3 plantings to get my mounds properly populated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I built one last spring, a yard of dirt for a foundation, a plastic liner, and yard of dirt for the planter. But it suffers from lack of direct sunlight, and when it rains super hard the gutters drill a slot down the middle. This year I'm just doing peas (because the wall does get some good direct sun) and a few mounds of zucchini there.

The saw horse garden was supposed to be a half bag each of: swiss chard, rainbow chard, arugula, lettuce, collards, and spinach.

Speaking of zucchini, at Home Depot my girlfriend picked out a Martha Stewart Organic variety of zukes, Black Beauty. The seed yield has been HORRIBLE, maybe 1/3 sprouted, and half of those were weaklings that I had to cull. Took me 3 plantings to get my mounds properly populated.

That's a bummer.

Im growing everything in your sawhorse garden right now except for the chard.

I started them way early though and honestly I think they grew better from Apr-May than they do now. The spinach and romaine lettuce all grew up great but ultimately bolted about 2 weeks ago so I've got new stuff sprouting up now. I've got them in a bed to the side that only gets about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight. The arugula is just indestructible and grows constantly. Maybe you can get away with a little more shaded location for your greens?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I got my first zucchini off my monstrous plant that refuses to stop growing. It's nearly taken over its entire end of the raised bed, completely covering the cucumber (which has, miraculously, survived and started growing tiny cucumbers by growing all snakey-like).

A few days ago, this loving thing was barely more than a flower :stare:

There's probably three or four about ready to go left on the plant, too. I've also gotten a ton of basil, and a few tomatoes which were pretty great. The peppers are doing pretty crappily, though, but the parsley all the drat rabbits ate is actually coming back.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Around here unless you put a shade cloth over your salad greens they don't make it through the summer. A couple of 80* days and the spinach and lettuces start to bolt or wilt, and my arugula (which is the only thing that grew out of three seed packs of mixed salad greens this year... old seed, but still!) finally gave up on me last week as well. I've been feeding bits to the chickens as I rip it out. Gonna re-plant in a few weeks when we get nights in the 60s again.

My garden this year so far has been a poo poo-ton of arugula, a handful of sad tomato plants (two of which volunteered in my urban farm's pea garden this year and died when I took them home to transplant, sigh), green and purple pole beans (Kentucky Wonder and Purple Podded, prolific producers), and more lemon balm than anyone knows how to handle. I finally caved and bought two pepper plants (jalapeno and wax pepper) after they dropped to $5/plant at Home Depot. I figure at that rate, with all the peppers on them, they've already paid for themselves!

But I feel like this year I cheated. I didn't start anything except the arugula from seed, and I don't even like arugula that much.

• Locked thread