Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can't find any kind of grow light. I've asked and no one has any idea what I'm talking about (standard when you need something unusual in Korea), and I've checked every bulb at the stores and none of them are the right kind of light. I don't have anywhere to put it anyway, and with the price of electronics here by the time I got it all set up it'd be cheaper to just go buy cilantro bunches at the Vietnamese place.

Basically this is a low-priority low-effort thing, it's not like I use tons of cilantro anyway. Hunting down materials for a light setup is beyond my give a poo poo. I do appreciate the info, I had no idea them growing like that was unusual. I'll maximize the light they get and see what happens.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Any kind of light will work like CFLs or fluorescent tubes. You don't need a fancy grow light.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I choose to believe the problem is that he lives in North Korea. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Any kind of light will work like CFLs or fluorescent tubes. You don't need a fancy grow light.

You sure? Everything I read said they needed a specific light temperature. There's lighting in the house so if the regular bulbs work I would think they'd be fine.

coyo7e posted:

I choose to believe the problem is that he lives in North Korea. :colbert:

I think my apartment was built back when SK was the lovely one. There are literally three outlets in the entire place.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

You sure? Everything I read said they needed a specific light temperature. There's lighting in the house so if the regular bulbs work I would think they'd be fine.

Yes I'm sure because I've grown plenty of starts indoors with lights. Stuff in the ceiling isn't going to work because of the distance. The intensity of the light falls off very quickly the farther it goes and artificial lights are already much less intense than sunlight. You need something within a few inches of the plant leaves.

Specific color temperature bulbs are better but not typically worth the huge mark-up. If you really want to try them you go for full spectrum or daylight bulbs, but I've used cool white and they work fine.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't find any kind of grow light.

http://www.growlight.co.kr/en/default.asp

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
As far as grow lights go, I've used a fluorescent-bulb desk lamp from the 70's before and started plants successfully with it (they were somewhat leggy but in a dark windowless basement they did way better than I expected). I now have an actual "grow light", but I can vouch that any relatively full-spectrum bulb will work just fine.

My little front yard is full of tomato and cucumber, yay! No broccoli this year; we had green beans but the sow bugs ate them. I hate those stupid little things. Anyone know a good organic way to repel pests? I'm considering picking up a can of Sevin and trying that, since nothing else has worked so far. They're everywhere!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

My little front yard is full of tomato and cucumber, yay! No broccoli this year; we had green beans but the sow bugs ate them. I hate those stupid little things. Anyone know a good organic way to repel pests? I'm considering picking up a can of Sevin and trying that, since nothing else has worked so far. They're everywhere!

Congratulations on the cucumber and tomato plants!

I did some googling and found a site that deals in organic pesticides. They had a nice write up about sowbugs (AKA doodlebugs) and recommend XClude1600. Here's a link to the article: http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Sow%20or%20Pill%20bugs:

While I have experienced pill bugs in the past, they never killed my plants so I never bothered to get rid of them. Good luck!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Anyone know a good organic way to repel pests?
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/In-the-Garden/Organic-Pest-Spray/6103

Chilli + garlic + water -> put on a very very low temp stove for a while to release active ingredients, then strain and put in a spray bottle. Use quickly (it smells like poo poo if you let it go off)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Sweet, garlic. I have FRESH garlic (just dug it out of the garden last week) so I am going to try that first and if that doesn't work I'll go the chem route. Thanks for your advice, guys! Both answers look really good and are things I hadn't seen before so I'm really hopeful that they work! :)

Still waiting on ripe tomatoes. It happens every year... the plant puts out loads of green ones and then it RAINS for two weeks straight and they take forever to ripen. But that's ok, because I'm still totally excited for fresh tomatoes! I'm planning some fall plants but mostly I'm working on next spring's garden layout, since I want to get some fill and level out the yard a little, add another raised bed, and put some perennial flowers in among the herbs and veggies.

It's funny; I'd love a larger yard space but the tiny one has me doing more with it because I don't feel overwhelmed. Yay for small spaces (sometimes)!

Edit:
Ripe tomato!

More tomatoes!

The tomato plant, and the cucumber vine which has exploded and is trying to climb the tomato!

That's my basil sticking out from under the mass of tomato leaves. :3
Please ignore the un-cut grass/weed patch... it's getting mowed today!

Edit: And I won't post all dozen pictures here, but here's the album so you can see the other garden pest I have to deal with... BINDWEED. Calling the stuff "tenacious" would be an understatement to its ability to thrive. I dug up half my yard in the last two weeks, following and yanking as much of the gigantic root network as I can. I'm hoping it won't come back (but it will, it always does). I hate using herbicides near my veggies but if it keeps coming back I may have no choice :(

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2012

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
This morning was perfect for our bi-weekly harvest of the herb garden.

I got another huge pile of basil. This is going straight into the freezer.

Once it was cleaned up and the stems and pest eaten parts were removed, there were so many leaves that they didn't fit in my colander.

The rest of our garden is doing great.

That cherry tomato plant is taller than I am. This morning it measured 6' from the top of the soil to the tips of the tallest leaves.

And it's FULL of tomatoes!

There are more pole beans and cucumbers growing on another fence in our yard, along with some morning glories and dahlias. You can see our zuc/ squash garden in the back.

Summer is my favorite season.

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
freezing fresh herbs? For what?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

jermsz posted:

freezing fresh herbs? For what?

It's a good way to preserve them for the winter, when your herb plants are dormant or dead. Not as good as fresh, but better than dried. You can purée them and freeze them in ice cube trays, or do what I do and blend the herbs with butter and freeze that until you need it. Some people also freeze their herbs with a little bit of olive oil on top, which helps keep them from browning.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
That's exactly what I did. I put different combinations of herbs in the food processor and pureed with a tablespoon or so of olive oil then froze the slurry in ice cube trays. I've got them stored in zip lock bags. It's great for making pasta sauce and such things because you can just pop out a cube and it tastes totally fresh and amazing.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Has anybody grown anise hyssop or wood sorrel before? I tasted those herbs for the first time at a fancy place in Los Gatos, CA and now I absolutely have to have them for future cooking shenanigans.

Unfortunately, they seem rather rare, as I could not find either at our local Whole Paycheck or farmers markets, and the plant nurseries don't seem to grow them either.

I'm living in a room with a nice south facing window next year, so hopefully I can grow them in planters on the window sill. Worst case, I guess I could ask a stoner friend about DIY hydropnics. Totally not sketch.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Nurseries are typically only going to grow plants of mainstream stuff that will sell well. For the less common and more unusual stuff you'll have to start from seed. It looks like seed for both of those is available online.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

It's a good way to preserve them for the winter, when your herb plants are dormant or dead. Not as good as fresh, but better than dried. You can purée them and freeze them in ice cube trays, or do what I do and blend the herbs with butter and freeze that until you need it. Some people also freeze their herbs with a little bit of olive oil on top, which helps keep them from browning.

I can vouch for this, when I last had a massive basil harvest I tossed the leaves in a little olive oil then packed them tight as I could into an airtight container. Whenever I wanted basil for a sauce I could just scrape out a headed tablespoon of the leaves, still deliciously green and fragrant.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Tinfoil Price posted:

I'm living in a room with a nice south facing window next year, so hopefully I can grow them in planters on the window sill. Worst case, I guess I could ask a stoner friend about DIY hydropnics. Totally not sketch.

There is a hydroponics thread somewhere in DIY I think. It may have been moved to archive.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Frogmanv2 posted:

There is a hydroponics thread somewhere in DIY I think. It may have been moved to archive.

I've got seeds germinating in little planters at home right now to see if I can keep them alive for at least a month. The grow time from planting to harvest is around 90 days, but there's no way in hell I can ship them cross country with me when I head back to school.

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance
As it is hot as hell out here, my garden kinda slumped away for the summer time. I ordered a local box off of greenling.com and am kinda excited to check this out. Has anyone tried them out before?

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009

czechshaun posted:

As it is hot as hell out here, my garden kinda slumped away for the summer time. I ordered a local box off of greenling.com and am kinda excited to check this out. Has anyone tried them out before?

I have never heard of this before! So is it like a distributor for local farmers? What is the different between this and a CSA?

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance
Its pretty similar except I think greenling is a little bit more organized/commercial. I am just guessing that is the difference, I havent received my first batch of produce though.

I have kind of heard of them before and I noticed one of their trucks driving around the other day is what caused me to order.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Does anyone know if it's advisable to grow cassava in North Jersey?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Martello posted:

Does anyone know if it's advisable to grow cassava in North Jersey?

Probably not, maybe in a greenhouse. Some quick google research shows that it likes warm (80+ F) weather and 8-10 months of growing time.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I just caught a mole in my garden and killed it, then I cried a little bit. I'm a gigantic baby. It had the cutest little feet...

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mr Kapu posted:

I just caught a mole in my garden and killed it, then I cried a little bit. I'm a gigantic baby. It had the cutest little feet...

Eat it. It came from your garden, therefore it's your food.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mr Kapu posted:

Feed it to your plants. Circle of life yo.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Has anybody grown anise hyssop or wood sorrel before? I tasted those herbs for the first time at a fancy place in Los Gatos, CA and now I absolutely have to have them for future cooking shenanigans.

Unfortunately, they seem rather rare, as I could not find either at our local Whole Paycheck or farmers markets, and the plant nurseries don't seem to grow them either.

If you mean wood sorrel as in the stuff that's growing wild all over my back yard, with the clover-like lemony-tasting leaves and little yellow or white flowers that bloom in the spring... you can probably find it in your local park. It likes sunny woods and open areas, and around here (Western PA) it comes up in big bunches! I'd offer to ship you some, but apparently it's illegal to ship live plants to CA.

Edit: Most people think of wood sorrel (oxalis) as a weed in its native habitat, albeit a very pretty weed. So I'm not surprised you found it at a "fancy" restaurant but I'm also not surprised the local distribution channels don't have it - why would they sell "weeds"?

Also! I have cucumbers! They're itty bitty, but I found another one just this morning growing right at the top of the vine where it leans over my porch railing (the plant is 7' tall and still reaching for the sky, omg). In another few weeks I'm gonna be able to go out and pull a ripe cucumber off the vine... without leaving my porch. OH YEAH.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 15, 2012

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah Wood Sorrel grows crazy around my small patio area

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Probably not, maybe in a greenhouse. Some quick google research shows that it likes warm (80+ F) weather and 8-10 months of growing time.

Hmm. Maybe with global warming this could work in 2030 or so. I wanted to know for a story I'm writing. :eng101:

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Faerunner posted:

If you mean wood sorrel as in the stuff that's growing wild all over my back yard, with the clover-like lemony-tasting leaves and little yellow or white flowers that bloom in the spring... you can probably find it in your local park. It likes sunny woods and open areas, and around here (Western PA) it comes up in big bunches! I'd offer to ship you some, but apparently it's illegal to ship live plants to CA.

Edit: Most people think of wood sorrel (oxalis) as a weed in its native habitat, albeit a very pretty weed. So I'm not surprised you found it at a "fancy" restaurant but I'm also not surprised the local distribution channels don't have it - why would they sell "weeds"?

Also! I have cucumbers! They're itty bitty, but I found another one just this morning growing right at the top of the vine where it leans over my porch railing (the plant is 7' tall and still reaching for the sky, omg). In another few weeks I'm gonna be able to go out and pull a ripe cucumber off the vine... without leaving my porch. OH YEAH.

I'll bribe you to ship me some in NJ in a month. I'd drive over to pick it up, but Pennsyltucky is a long way from NJ haha =D.

The Tinfoil Price fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 18, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jermsz posted:

Yeah Wood Sorrel grows crazy around my small patio area

Is this the stuff that tastes super tangy/sour?

Also I think that pretty much all clover variants are nitrogen-fixers, so I would imagine that they'd actually be good for most soil, rather than a "weed" except in the sense of "I'm not walking on a putting green".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 18, 2012

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
yeah it has an almost sour apple flavour

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jermsz posted:

yeah it has an almost sour apple flavour
Love that stuff, used to eat it hiking in the redwoods as a kid. Don't eat too much or you'll get pretty sorry.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Love that stuff, used to eat it hiking in the redwoods as a kid. Don't eat too much or you'll get pretty sorry.

Oxalic acid's fun! :D

Tinfoil Prince, Pennsyltucky's uncomfortably close to NJ if you ask me! I am on the far end though so it'd be a bit of a drive. Doesn't wood sorrel grow near you?

This morning I went to my porch, reached down over the porch wall and picked two ripe tomatoes that were growing 6' off the ground. My cucumber vine has climbed all 8 feet of the teepee it's under, and up the string to the roof of the porch. I can pick veggies three feet from my front door, urban gardening rocks!

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Faerunner posted:

Oxalic acid's fun! :D

Tinfoil Prince, Pennsyltucky's uncomfortably close to NJ if you ask me! I am on the far end though so it'd be a bit of a drive. Doesn't wood sorrel grow near you?

This morning I went to my porch, reached down over the porch wall and picked two ripe tomatoes that were growing 6' off the ground. My cucumber vine has climbed all 8 feet of the teepee it's under, and up the string to the roof of the porch. I can pick veggies three feet from my front door, urban gardening rocks!

It should be fairly close, but seeing as school just started and lawnparties are tomorrow, I probably won't be able to swing by for at least a week or two. However, i will take you up on your offer if I can find time though!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I will scout out how much is in my yard/nearby overgrown lots, and get back to you. Not sure how much is out there, although I've been encouraging it in my unused garden space by pulling all the competing weeds!

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I'm considering starting a small garden in my apt due to the frequent shortages of vegetables on our local market and the crappy quality of certain items, like tomatoes.

My only problem is that I live in the tropics (Panama) where the temperature and humidity are very high throughout the year and I don't know whether the seeds I bought will do well here.

I bought heirloom tomatoes, san marzanos, beefsteaks and black krims. Is there are a way to check whether they'll grow or not?

There was a climate zone database but I haven't found it again.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

I'm considering starting a small garden in my apt due to the frequent shortages of vegetables on our local market and the crappy quality of certain items, like tomatoes.

My only problem is that I live in the tropics (Panama) where the temperature and humidity are very high throughout the year and I don't know whether the seeds I bought will do well here.

I bought heirloom tomatoes, san marzanos, beefsteaks and black krims. Is there are a way to check whether they'll grow or not?

There was a climate zone database but I haven't found it again.

Tomatoes are indigenous to Mesoamerica so you should be pretty good with those (especially if they are local varieties). You may want to think about growing some peppers which are also indigenous to that region (whereas up here peppers are annuals, they can be grown as perennials in tropical climates). Beans and squash (both hard and soft varieties) are also indigenous to the area.

My biggest advice is to look for local varieties. Ask around to see what other people are growing.

Make sure that your soil drains well (the humidity may keep your soil a little wet), and if it gets excessively hot (say 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit), your tomatoes may want afternoon shade because tomato pollen fries at those temperatures. Again, looking for local, heirloom varieties will help you with that.

In short, you live very close to the place where all deliciousness comes from. You should be just fine regardless of what you grow (except stuff like garlic, rhubarb, apples, lettuce, broccoli, or blueberries - stuff that needs cooler temperatures).

Sorry, I study anthropology with emphasis on food.... so... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Anthropology with emphasis on food? I bet you know all kinds of cool stuff!

I'm already starting to plan my garden for next year and there is so much stuff I want to do... like figure out why my lavender is tiny. :( It's healthy enough, flowered this year, etc but it hasn't gotten any bigger than when I planted it. I mulched it with leaves over the winter last year and uncovered it at the first sign of growth in the spring since I wasn't sure of its cold hardiness (this is garden-center lavender, not sure what variety sadly). It is now a 2 year old plant and seems relatively well established in the corner of my yard but it's still tiny. I might add a little more sand to the soil around the roots this fall, but other than that is there anything I can do to encourage growth? I know they don't like a lot of fertilizer but do like lime, which I added to the soil around the plant this spring. The drainage in the area isn't great, but I never get standing water there (drying out is far more an issue) and I haven't noticed any signs of root problems. The soil is clay-ey but workable and there's nothing really close to compete for nutrients or space. As far as I'm aware, the plant is in the most appropriate environment I can give it but clearly I'm doing something wrong.

It only got about 7" tall this year including flower spikes. It's growing in pretty thickly but just isn't very tall. Should I just be patient with it? Am I stuck with a midget plant? If so I guess I deserve it for buying the first one I saw at Home Depot...

On another note, does anyone know if raspberries will be ok under a maple tree? I need something to fill in my hillside. I'm working on identifying what kind of maple it is so I'll know more about planting under it!

Edit: Prince, checked on the sorrel finally. It is kind of scraggly and there's not as much as I hoped, it wouldn't be worth the shipping for you and I do apologize. :( Sorry!

• Locked thread