Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gutter Owl posted:

Look, you grow up on Oniisama e and Maria-sama ga Miteru and you start anticipating the "what do you mean, they were totally just friends, honest, here are the husbands they always totally dreamed about off camera."

Maria-sama was not exactly subtle about the Giganteas being lesbians, Sei in particular, so it's weird to have that be an example of daring not speak its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the post implied to me that it ends with everyone getting husbands or something so i trusted them as someone who's never read or watched it but the only info i got when looking it up was some bad reddit threads so now i'm just confused about comparing it to oniisama e

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Y'know, I'm just gonna take the L here. Sorry about my bad take, romance manga thread.

Fight lesbians is good and I hope they puke more blood on each other.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I for one was disgusted at the constant use of "vidya" instead of the correct "vidcon."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I take it the end goal of the fighting game manga is getting enough people to play melty blood behind the school?

Speaking of games, Card games are still a thing and Destroy all Humankind has the most :negative: update I've read in a while. Just...

I feel for Hajime, I really do.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tl is fine, viyda is super eye rolley but i suffer through a yuri vn that use thot and teenybopper in its tl so really this is nothing

Fun vn tho

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the hell is a teenybopper

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aurora posted:

1960s/70s slang for "teenage girl who's really into boy bands", basically

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aurora posted:

:corsair:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Aurora posted:

term from a cool charles manson quote

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I look forward to more of Grandma and Grandpa because they both own in more ways than one.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oh hell yeah new namo, even though i have been horribly persecuted by the gay people in this forum for it, i really liked their other romance amd am hopeful about this one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ah, claudia granblue

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new how do we relationship

I've heard before that this series is based on a one-shot where they break up at the end, I kinda hope this is the attempt to rewrite that future. It's nice to see Miwa actively want to not be a pushover and try to push back, even a little.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's already changed a lot from the one-shot (as you might expect considering its now 15 chapters in) so I don't think it'll be following the same structure. Though, the one-shot was really good so even if it does go down that route I think it would be done well.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i hear the series is based on a story that was only one chapter, hopefully the mangaka has plans in the works to rewrite that aspect

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Space Flower posted:

i hear the series is based on a story that was only one chapter, hopefully the mangaka has plans in the works to rewrite that aspect
no need to be an rear end, thanks

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's already changed a lot from the one-shot (as you might expect considering its now 15 chapters in) so I don't think it'll be following the same structure. Though, the one-shot was really good so even if it does go down that route I think it would be done well.
I get that, but it's also made their relationship pretty wavery at times especially recently so it seemed like it might actually go down the same path and end the same way, just take longer. This chapter feels more optimistic about the outcome of their relationship though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, like I said the one-shot was good so I don’t think it’ll be an issue even if it does go down that route.

Ever since it got serialised I’ve seen so many things about people being worried it will end like the one-shot. But the one-shot finishes on a pretty positive note so I don’t really get the fear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't read one-shots of serialized series because they color my perspective of the series, and I wish I hadn't known about the one-shot at all. but even if it does do the same thing, it's been well-written so far so I'd be fine with it regardless of the outcome.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The one shots have follow ups where they date other peeps and stuff, which is, epic imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, I got to find these follow-ups.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever i read the series i end up wondering how they are still together. the oneshot's outcome always seems so much more plausible.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I really like the oneshot's ending and I think it'd be a bummer if the serial decided to forgo that in favour of a more typical romance ending, though I will demand at least an extended epilogue with Miwa and her hipster dog girl kouhai

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

The one shots have follow ups where they date other peeps and stuff, which is, epic imo

the one where they gently caress post-breakup and swear to never do it again then both internally groan about how they're totally gonna end up doing it again owns

e: anyway I doubt they're gonna change it since the idea that the oneshot ending is a "bad" one is the sort of framework that tmfly is very intentionally placing her writing outside of

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 29, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i wanna see miwa's artschool catgirl gf

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oneshot saeko is like shithead stud elemental and we love her for it but a great thing the series has done imo is show more of her genuine desire to make the relationship work despite how much of a whim it was n her own insecurities around it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

the one where they gently caress post-breakup and swear to never do it again then both internally groan about how they're totally gonna end up doing it again owns

Yeah that's a good one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A Dumb Prefect almost got parental approval???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
secret rapping dad is my new favorite character

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

A Dumb Prefect almost got parental approval???

Nah, he won't get approval until he styles on Dad. I love this series

Captain Invictus posted:

secret rapping dad is my new favorite character
It makes so much sense. Raimu, Poemu, Ririku; the family names are all puns.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i hope miwa and saeko break up again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The author of wanna go out literally talked about how 'yuri' as a genre is pretty limiting and how she just wants to explore lesbians lives not have to fit deadlocked tropes of a subgenre of romance

The idea that them staying together is more 'optimistic' is kinda hosed since the oneshots ending is entirely about how theyre happier apart because their relationship was defined entirely by feeling like they had to be together because they were gay rather than a full romantic attachment that made them want to stay together. Its literally an exploration of how lesbians often 'settle' when in a heteronormative society lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally im hoping they break up and then the manga, continues, because a lesbians life isnt defined by her relationship status. Plus theres plenty of shoujo and seinen romance stuff where thar sorta thing happens and the manga just keeps going but yuri feels kind of gridlocked into being about A relationship, not an exploration of relationships in general.

Its weird to act like the idea of them breaking up is something you have to look past or handwring about instead of something exciting and fresh.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

The author of wanna go out literally talked about how 'yuri' as a genre is pretty limiting and how she just wants to explore lesbians lives not have to fit deadlocked tropes of a subgenre of romance

The idea that them staying together is more 'optimistic' is kinda hosed since the oneshots ending is entirely about how theyre happier apart because their relationship was defined entirely by feeling like they had to be together because they were gay rather than a full romantic attachment that made them want to stay together. Its literally an exploration of how lesbians often 'settle' when in a heteronormative society lol

I'm not entirely sure I get what you're saying. Outside of romance I don't know how different someone's life is going to be regardless of if they're straight or not.

Either way I think romance manga should broaden out with what they do so I more or less agree.

Endorph posted:

Its weird to act like the idea of them breaking up is something you have to look past or handwring about instead of something exciting and fresh.

I think it's because most people like both the characters and would like them to be happy together, because it's what they want for themselves and most people are going to self insert at least a little bit into romance stories, it's just how we are!

Endorph posted:

Personally im hoping they break up and then the manga, continues, because a lesbians life isnt defined by her relationship status. Plus theres plenty of shoujo and seinen romance stuff where thar sorta thing happens and the manga just keeps going but yuri feels kind of gridlocked into being about A relationship, not an exploration of relationships in general.

I actually can't think of too many straight romance stories where that happens unless they're going for the romantic false starter with like, the guy/girl the main character always crushed on but is obviously not going to end up with.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what is this manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the whole point of the oneshot is that being together isnt what they actually want tho. like they just wanted *a* girlfriend and were awkwardly forcng each other into that role. the published manga has expanded on their relationship a lot but it still has elements of that.

Acerbatus posted:

I actually can't think of too many straight romance stories where that happens unless they're going for the romantic false starter with like, the guy/girl the main character always crushed on but is obviously not going to end up with.
one literally aired just this season. also nana multiple times over. white album 2. or was it 1 its been ages. school days, in a sense (lol). just off the top of my head. its not the most common thing in the world but its an idea some things play with, whereas its basically verboten in yuri.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora posted:

what is this manga

https://mangadex.org/title/39536/a-manga-about-a-hero-who-pulled-out-the-holy-sword-and-became-a-girl
Modern day epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh hell yeah a new chapter?

'happy end'