Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was a fairly generic 4koma, they needed cheap ways to keep the premise going so they chose to just make him an incredibly flat character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Note that of the positive things people have to say about Tomo-chan, NEVER, not a SINGLE time, have those good things been related to Jun.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Something something reader, something self-insert.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you self insert on a tomo-chan character then i am very sorry for you

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can't wait until the Tomo anime watchers enter the Carol's mom stage of Tomo-chan discourse.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Note that of the positive things people have to say about Tomo-chan, NEVER, not a SINGLE time, have those good things been related to Jun.

jun's nothing. now, that tree on the other hand...what a remarkably realistic tree.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Valentin posted:

jun's nothing. now, that tree on the other hand...what a remarkably realistic tree.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized Tomo-chan is a Girl! already had a dedicated thread. I would post there, but I think it's combined information with the manga and I don't want to get spoiled as to what happens.

To be germane to the thread, I saw Sugar Apple Fairy Tale's first episode today. I read a volume or two or the manga and LOVED the concept, so I was hoping for the best from this anime. The "poster" doesn't cut it; the animation is beautiful and the colors, Duke, the colors! I love it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you really dont have to worry about spoilers for tomo-chan it is not the kind of manga where anything happens

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

you really dont have to worry about spoilers for tomo-chan it is not the kind of manga where anything happens

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm not a Tomo-chan fan personally but no need to keep dunking on it IMO. Some day this thread could come for that manga YOU like where nothing ever happens!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like them unless it ends with a marriage scene or at least a proposal op.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Colonel posted:

They could spoil the part where Carol gets hugged.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm not a Tomo-chan fan personally but no need to keep dunking on it IMO. Some day this thread could come for that manga YOU like where nothing ever happens!

So what lol. Also what Larry said.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't like them unless it ends with a marriage scene or at least a proposal op.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Insurrectionist posted:

no i didnt even mean that one as a dunk. tomo-chan has almost nothing to spoil. it's extremely, extremely static. there's nothing that you could be spoiled on that will change it cause twenty strips later they are gonna be making the same joke

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Insurrectionist posted:

I've never understood this criticism at all. There are several manga where nothing ever really happens and are loved(often times for it).

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Tomo chan is fine, people just get bored of a story where nothing happens after it goes long enough. I think Caroline is good though iirc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people who say that about things they like are often ignoring like. actual textual stuff that happens between the characters that's interesting. either that or they're just pure comedies that also have more than one joke, like all it is with tomo-chan is that the one joke it has for tomo and jun is kinda boring and you get the gist of it pretty fast. it's not the worst thing in the world but it's very, very bland and is why people mostly remember the side character whose few jokes are a bit more memorable

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah I mean not every story has to be plot-focused for sure. It's just a matter of knowing when to wrap it up before you run out of other stuff to do and the audience gets bored. I think Tomo-chan did a pretty good job of it, a lot of stuff goes until it runs out of steam entirely and gets cancelled or dropped or something.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's an absolute metric poo poo-ton of romance stories where the side characters are more interesting than the main characters.
I like to imagine authors are doing this deliberately, for my sake.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love slice of life books where basically all of them have no overall plot, but the difference is in the details. The problem is tomo-chan is super one note and since it only has one joke I don't find particularly funny, it does nothing for me really.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Speaking of one-note, just saw the first ep of Ice Guy and Cool Colleague and I guess it's pretty cute but they should have kept it as shorts. It doesn't hold up well as 5 bite-sized bits strung together into an episode, especially when half of them are the same thing.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SexyBlindfold posted:

Speaking of one-note, just saw the first ep of Ice Guy and Cool Colleague and I guess it's pretty cute but they should have kept it as shorts. It doesn't hold up well as 5 bite-sized bits strung together into an episode, especially when half of them are the same thing.

I felt like this also - I'm wondering if they add some plot onto it and I'm going to give it another episode just to see what they do with the Okinawa thing but I'm not holding my breath.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Sukimega/status/1613853369336008704

anime adaption :toot:

i hope they nail this, the manga is a big deal to me

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Three new chapters of Telework Yotabanashi are out and the author is proving how great an archaeologist Izumi is with how quickly she's uncovering feelings in Nokoru he didn't even know he had. Straight up Tomb Raiding this man's heart; I'll have to start calling her Laura Croft.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
New volume of Insomniacs After School was translated recently. Shiromaru's birthday chapter was super cute.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://twitter.com/Sukimega/status/1613853369336008704

anime adaption :toot:

i hope they nail this, the manga is a big deal to me

That's good fun and nice. :3

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

2 pages later

Thank you Goddess of Yuri.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Volumes 17 and 18 of Shikimkri will be out at the same time

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShikimoriI...nt=share_button

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"I sure am tired of all these Bisque Dolls."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just finished reading Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido, and loving hell is it good - especially if you read it while listening to the some of the songs featured throughout the story.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just finished reading Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido, and loving hell is it good - especially if you read it while listening to the some of the songs featured throughout the story.

Amazing hair in this

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lara Croft continues the hunt.

That manga was the reason City Pop dominated by search history for a couple weeks. Really sweet series but the updates were glacial.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This looks good. MD link for those who use it:
https://mangadex.org/title/32d0b857-24b2-4c3b-8dc6-aa6d0739aa79/slow-motion-wo-mou-ichido

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Amazing hair in this
Not just amazing hair, amazing outfits as well.

Brought To You By posted:

Lara Croft continues the hunt.

That manga was the reason City Pop dominated by search history for a couple weeks. Really sweet series but the updates were glacial.
Yeah, it's no wonder - with both disco and funk inflences, it can't help but be good.

Glacial updates are why I always read things when they're done being scanlated.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i'll give it a read but kind of instantly loling at the premise. secretly, i am into michael jackson and talking heads

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 20, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i'll give it a read but kind of instantly loling at the premise. secretly, i am into michael jackson and talking heads
I'm absolutely not secretive about my love of the 80s; If I'm not in lounge-wear like sweatpants and a sweater at home my style takes heavy inspiration from the 80s, and my 80s playlists in foobar2000 are among the most-played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm absolutely not secretive about my love of the 80s; If I'm not in lounge-wear like sweatpants and a sweater at home my style takes heavy inspiration from the 80s, and my 80s playlists in foobar2000 are among the most-played.

i know it's just how these kinds of manga go but it's funny how mundane the secret shared hobbies are. next we'll get one about two people having a meet cute over their passion for, like, reality tv