Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i don't get this reference but i imagine it's the equivalent of someone trying to lay low by dressing like Arnold in T1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kinda. the most obvious things to note about him that you might know from an english context are that he inspired some pretty famous characters like kenshiro and spike spiegel, and he was used as the likeness for the main character of onimusha 2. maybe he'll appear in the miike onimusha anime

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this manga makes me want to listen to Magdalena Bay

https://youtu.be/3S5ukw4YOSg

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gotta respect 87 chapters of cold opening before the title drop.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I want to read 'Mandate of Heaven' so badly but it is just a fictional series within a manga. This angers me greatly.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not entirely sure of what it's based on, sounds like Blameserker! with a side of Innocent

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im like halfway thru slow motion and i appreciate that the both of them now consistently dress like twin peaks characters when out of school

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i finished it and it's alright. i would probably like it better if i got more than half of the 80s references. would recommend I guess. the art is cute and stylish.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i finished it and it's alright. i would probably like it better if i got more than half of the 80s references. would recommend I guess. the art is cute and stylish.
I really liked it, except that as with everything else, I would've liked it to be longer and have more afterstory.

At least it's not as full of references like Genshiken and Lucky Star.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm absolutely not secretive about my love of the 80s

Me neither. Well, not anymore. I don't really dress like it but I'm not shy about admitting I'm fond of most of its music. That certainly wasn't the case in the 90's. Knowing that I loved Tears For Fears and Madonna would not have gone over well with my post-grunge/alt-rock peers. So I kept it to myself while also enjoying 90's alt-rock.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I really liked it, except that as with everything else, I would've liked it to be longer and have more afterstory.

Yeah. Same.

I'm reading Insomniacs After School now which is much more my speed, and I don't think it's finished. It's very cute though

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Me neither. Well, not anymore. I don't really dress like it but I'm not shy about admitting I'm fond of most of its music. That certainly wasn't the case in the 90's. Knowing that I loved Tears For Fears and Madonna would not have gone over well with my post-grunge/alt-rock peers. So I kept it to myself while also enjoying 90's alt-rock.
I don't think I was ever secretive about it, but I honestly don't remember many of my friends or acquaintances being as much into music as I was.
Everyone just grew up listening to the same channels, because it's not like we had a lot of choice about it.

On the other hand, hindsight probably suggests that they weren't your peers if they weren't ready to accept you for who you were then.

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah. Same.

I'm reading Insomniacs After School now which is much more my speed, and I don't think it's finished. It's very cute though
It's listed as being ongoing, meaning the manga isn't even done yet - so even if the scanlation is caught up, it's gonna be a tough ask for them to finish it before the mangaka does. :v:
It's already on my wish list, though - but thanks for mentioning it!

I found that Collectors by Nishi Uko finished scanlation about half a year ago - and I've been waiting for that approximately since it started in 2009, so I've jumped in with both feet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Insomniacs After School is ongoing and the scanlator tends to wait for the volumes to be released, so there's usually a few months wait between chapters.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Just a lil oneshot about two cute boys who get shipped together by all their classmates.
This is BL, Not Yuri

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Just a lil oneshot about two cute boys who get shipped together by all their classmates.
This is BL, Not Yuri
Well that's just adorable.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Maybe Meant to Be is probably my favorite romcom of the moment. Some real peak himbo in here. I'm loving the recent MiL arc.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 23

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just finished Kekkon shite mo Koi shiteru which is a autobiographical story about the daily life of a married couple and their children.
It's so adorable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I just finished Kekkon shite mo Koi shiteru which is a autobiographical story about the daily life of a married couple and their children.
It's so adorable.

Read it ages ago. Loved it lots.

https://twitter.com/nankatobidesou/status/1616731765867151361?t=WfBimLqAtmHTikhwho46bg&s=19

Author of Shikimori has penned the last chapter for any of those interested.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

girl, glasses, things of that nature

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Watching Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible and it's super cute! A very much turned-up series premise of the everyday "self-insert" nothing male character (AKA: The Tenchi Muyo's of the world), but instead, has a presence that is completely ignored and invisible to everyone EXCEPT the girl who's popular and cute (and apparently likes him?!). It's very romantic, slice-of-life. The art is simple but satisfying.

I gotta say though, as a side note, the music, voice-acting, and sound effects really relax me. It's like head scritches, only audibly.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just finished Tsun-Ama na Kareshi.

It's an incredibly sweet series about a couple where the boyfriend is a bit of a tsundere - but unlike other portrayals of that stereotype, this one seems much more tolerable since it's not the only personality trait he has.

It's also one of those good series that start with the couple already dating, and follows their life from there - ie. the good parts.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

SexyBlindfold posted:

Speaking of one-note, just saw the first ep of Ice Guy and Cool Colleague and I guess it's pretty cute but they should have kept it as shorts. It doesn't hold up well as 5 bite-sized bits strung together into an episode, especially when half of them are the same thing.

Gave this one the 3-episode test and it does get better. Wouldn't call it outstanding in its field, but with improved pacing it's fairly decent fluff. Romcoms with adult characters are already in short supply, so I think I'll stick with this one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SexyBlindfold posted:

Speaking of one-note, just saw the first ep of Ice Guy and Cool Colleague and I guess it's pretty cute but they should have kept it as shorts. It doesn't hold up well as 5 bite-sized bits strung together into an episode, especially when half of them are the same thing.

gasp! That got an anime?!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In the latest Kanojo Mo Kanojo, Shino has been unleashed. They know not what they have done.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gasp! That got an anime?!

Ganbare, Douki-Chan got an anime. Nowadays it seems more surprising if a manga doesn't get an adaption...

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Watching Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible and my goodness, it's SO CUTE! I love the male, MC, how earnest and kind he is, what a good big bro he is, and how quickly he falls prey to Kubo teasing him. This is such a sugary sweet shoujo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pan Dulce posted:

Watching Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible and my goodness, it's SO CUTE! I love the male, MC, how earnest and kind he is, what a good big bro he is, and how quickly he falls prey to Kubo teasing him. This is such a sugary sweet shoujo.

The anime so nice, you posted it twice.

Sounds like something I'd like a lot and I've noted it for the future when I subscribe to HiDive. Also bookmarked the manga on MD.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ofecks posted:

Sounds like something I'd like a lot and I've noted it for the future when I subscribe to HiDive. Also bookmarked the manga on MD.

i would recommend waiting and watching the anime first, the voice acting is perfect and the animation is great aaah it is honestly so cute it is hard to write about it

if you decide to read the manga first they changed the search history from peeping girls baths to slacking off in class in the anime
i would just pretend they used the anime version in the manga aswell, it fits the character/general cute mood of the series much better

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
new dumb prefect with one of my favorite chapter gimmicks

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Ofecks posted:

Yikes! I'm sorry. I completely forgot to check if I'd done that for previous episodes. I'd just seen the most recent one and was excited to share. Apparently again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just finished reading Ase to Sekken by Yamada Kintetsu (same mangaka also works on Telework Yotabanashi, which was linked not too long ago ITT).

It's a very delightful slice of life series with a good romance plot that doesn't do the usual love triangle nonsense just for the sake of drama, yet still has enough angst to satisfy people who need that in their stories.

It's also like a lot of other works in its "genre" where there's some sort of fetish that plays a role throughout the story, but I think in this one it's handled exceptionally well, as it's not the big thing that other manga make it into.

I also like that the series doesn't just end with them getting together or getting married, but there's a couple of really good chapters that show their life after marriage.

Definitely worth a read, and I look forward to reading the other work that the mangaka is still working on.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 24

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
:allears: I love these dorks

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SexyBlindfold posted:

:allears: I love these dorks

They’re all so loving stupid. I’d die for any of them.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Man, Tiara is a loving mood.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Haystack posted:

Man, Tiara is a loving mood.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I hope that Taira gets a better grip on his sadbrains but also that he never stops being a grouch.

Go home :argh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Another week, more updates for Yamada Kintetsu's series

Kasane and Subaru Chapter 9

Telework Yotabanashi Chapter 12: Scheduling

No punches pulled here.

Definitely worth a read, and I look forward to reading the other work that the mangaka is still working on.
Funny enough I am re-reading Ase to Sekken (have the last two volumes to go) and it's greatly appreciated how little fat an 11 volume romance story can have and how strong the chemistry between the two becomes. I did have some reservations picking that story up initially because it was advertised to me as a fetish series and the first chapter could have veered into less comfortable waters. Gladly that concern was squashed very quickly.

Across her three series I think one big thing is that communication is key, in fact both recent chapter updates for her current serializations highlight this. People are willing to just talk things out instead of letting misunderstandings and misgivings build up into a different type of drama. But I can still expect, like in Sweat and Soap, that there will be some instances where each couple has issues communicating something specific. For Telework there is the issue that the Nokoro still hasn't had to clarify Izumi's professor as someone she's not into, if that even matters going into the future. And For Kasane The utter denail she has about admitting her feelings.

It's not like it's earth shattering that the power of open communication averts a lot of drama but I think it stands out here along having proactive persons/people in a relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Funny enough I am re-reading Ase to Sekken (have the last two volumes to go) and it's greatly appreciated how little fat an 11 volume romance story can have and how strong the chemistry between the two becomes. I did have some reservations picking that story up initially because it was advertised to me as a fetish series and the first chapter could have veered into less comfortable waters. Gladly that concern was squashed very quickly.

Across her three series I think one big thing is that communication is key, in fact both recent chapter updates for her current serializations highlight this. People are willing to just talk things out instead of letting misunderstandings and misgivings build up into a different type of drama. But I can still expect, like in Sweat and Soap, that there will be some instances where each couple has issues communicating something specific. For Telework there is the issue that the Nokoro still hasn't had to clarify Izumi's professor as someone she's not into, if that even matters going into the future. And For Kasane The utter denail she has about admitting her feelings.

It's not like it's earth shattering that the power of open communication averts a lot of drama but I think it stands out here along having proactive persons/people in a relationship.
I think those are some pretty good points about communication, and it definitely explains why I liked it.
I know I've made no bones about not liking it when series don't do communication properly, but conversely I don't mind if there's some drama, so long as there's also communication and every bit of the drama isn't caused by miscommunication.

I look forward to the time in the future when both of her ongoing series are finished being scanlated (or better yet, officially translated) so that I can read them.