Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)

a kitten posted:

Now for a straight romance question: how is the Skip Beat anime?

Really good, but has a frustrating nonending for those of us who haven't read the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
A new chapter of Unbalance x Unbalance.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

LadySage posted:

Really good, but has a frustrating nonending for those of us who haven't read the manga.

The manga is pretty good at not answering things. I've been reading Skip Beat off and on and I think it's been years in real life since the main girl gave the main guy a birthday gift and we don't know what it is, unless I missed something.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
New Kimi no Iru Machi with a hilarious ending you can see coming a mile away.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good Ending 75: Hilarious awkwardness ensues. Dude you can relax a little bit now, she really seriously and obviously is head over heals for you.

Octave 35: For the second to last chapter it seems like they're going to leave a lot of things unresolved, but at least they are both talking about some of those things which at least implies that they will work on them in the future. It's been a good story, I'm honestly sad to know that it's over.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I had Spring Break a couple weeks ago and went on a romance kick. I started it off with Maison Ikkoku. :3:

The one that I've really been enjoying that hasn't been mentioned here yet is Sukitte Ii na yo (Say You Love Me).

Somemango.com posted:

Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without making either a boyfriend or friends. One day, she injures the most popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, because of a misunderstanding but for some reason it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they're friends. Furthermore, he not only protects Mei from a stalker, he does it with a kiss…?!!
The premise is a little iffy sounding, but it doesn't stick with that as a pattern. Shy/outcast girl gains the interest of the hottest guy in school, but she generally doesn't do dumb things and there is steady progression. Both the leads are likable. However, there has only been one release since December.

I also checked out Kaichou wa Maid-sama!. I like it, it's too bad I ignored it completely when the anime came out. It took me a long time to like the male lead, but once he stopped being so 'mysterious' he really grew on me. The female lead is awesome constantly. Also: progress. If you just watched the anime, that's only about halfway through what's out in the manga now.

Last was Strobe Edge, because I saw that a couple Yankee/Megane fans liked it (I assumed it would be similar, it's not at all). Ridiculously naive girl gets crush on hottest guy in school, but he has a girlfriend. It held my attention enough to get through what was there, but I wouldn't call it great. It looks like it'll be wrapping up soon.

Has anyone read Chika Umino's (Honey & Clover) latest work, March Comes in Like a Lion? How is it & is it frustrating to follow chapter to chapter? I'm not expecting romance, just thought some of you who read one may have read the other.

Edit: And then today I found volume 1 of Bunny Drop for 50% off at a closing Borders! The covers are really thin, but the paper quality seems good.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 29, 2011

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/show_princess/

This has the best description of any shoujo manga ever made. I don't think I'll actually read it, because it could never live up to my expectations.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
That description reads like they took every soap opera cliche ever and crammed it all into a comic.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Strobe Edge is completely finished now, including two extras. As Kusaru said above, it isn't that great but the second extra was really cute - it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. It's about Manabu, a side character - he grows up a little :3: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/strobe_edge/v10/c038/2.html

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Strobe Edge is completely finished now, including two extras. As Kusaru said above, it isn't that great but the second extra was really cute - it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. It's about Manabu, a side character - he grows up a little :3: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/strobe_edge/v10/c038/2.html

That was cute! Actually, I'd have to say that the thing I liked best about the series was the side story flashbacks showing how the currently-failed/over couples originally got together.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
New Good Ending, back on the cusp of trainwreck mode: http://somemangas.com/manga/Good_Ending/76/

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good Ending 77 is out. Ah to be a stupid overly horny teenager again. :allears: No wait, that time period sucked!

Aoi Hana 38 shows that leaving your bottle of Christmas champagne just hanging around is too much temptation for even a normally well behaved high school girl and her girlfriend. Much like in Horou Musuko she really captures that mixture of hope, fear, longing, and uncertainty that young love has.

Manga no Tsukurikata 35 got released too, and much like always, nothing really happened. That's alright though, the whole thing has been amusingly low key and full of sweet little moments in time, not giant plot shaking events.

vvvvvvvvvvvv Hahaha, whoa, not only was seeing a new chapter so soon a surprise but it's a pretty eventful one too.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 14, 2011

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

a kitten posted:

Good Ending 77 is out. Ah to be a stupid overly horny teenager again. :allears: No wait, that time period sucked!

Poor, stupid, hard-up bastard.

EDIT: Haha oh wait

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 14, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo, new Usagi Drop. And "holy poo poo" is pretty much the best description for this issue. I think the next issue will be the last one which is kind of a shame, but then again, having things end rather than drag them on for all eternity definitely has its merits. Plus they're animating it, so that's pretty cool.

The Yen Press versions are pretty good too, I can't wait til the rest come out.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

The new Kimi ne Todoke chapter is out and it's so cute I had to tell someone. I don't know where you can read it online but I downloaded it here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Mango_Scans/index.php?showtopic=78&st=0

I can not wait until the next chapter!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The whole run of KnT is up on Somemanga, the updates show up there really quickly too. There is a thread for the anime that has been doubling as mangachat too, but now that the show's over I dunno if it really is necessary, I know a bunch of people read it, but it doesn't really inspire a whole lot of conversation.

You weren't kidding, the cuteness levels were off the chart (again). Matching hawaiian shirts for the dads. :3:

After the long, long process of getting Sawako and Kazehaya together it's nice to see she's letting the rest of the cast get some development too, don't get me wrong, I really like the leads, but one of the reasons I got hooked on this story is the cast as a whole. It sure isn't going super great for most of them right now though is it? Hopefully they will realise that some of the things they tried to get Sawako and Shota to understand over the past couple years will help them sort their own feelings out.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

a kitten posted:

Holy poo poo, new Usagi Drop. And "holy poo poo" is pretty much the best description for this issue. I think the next issue will be the last one which is kind of a shame, but then again, having things end rather than drag them on for all eternity definitely has its merits. Plus they're animating it, so that's pretty cool.

The Yen Press versions are pretty good too, I can't wait til the rest come out.

Is 35 the most recent? I didn't realize how far behind I was, so I got to read about 5 new chapters today. For anyone interested, volume 3 is going for $6.88 on Amazon right now (it's licensed as Bunny Drop [sorry if that's really obvious]).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Is 35 the most recent? I didn't realize how far behind I was, so I got to read about 5 new chapters today. For anyone interested, volume 3 is going for $6.88 on Amazon right now (it's licensed as Bunny Drop [sorry if that's really obvious]).

Thanks for this. Single dad mangas really are the best mangas.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I happened upon an online manhwa called Cheese in the Trap. It's in color and each chapter is one really long page that alternates between white and black backgrounds denoting the present and past.

Painfully generic description posted:

Hong Sul is a ordinary college student. Yoo Jung is the school's most popular upperclass man. He's good looking, rich, smart, and even nice. However, Hong Sul thinks there's more to Yoo Jung than what meets the eye..

It's definitely josei (or the Korean equivalent), but I'm having a hard time attaching a genre to it. It's not really romance, or at least not so far. Maybe a little mystery and a little slice of life with a pretty relaxed pace. It's about a college girl and the potentially sociopathic rich guy whose attention she gains. She's suspicious because the previous year he seemed so dismissive of her.

It's only scanlated up through chapter 24 (of 40+), but you can find in depth chapter summaries past that here and the Korean chapters here (apparently the creator asked that they stop scanning?). The chapter discussion on the board that has the translations is actually pretty good.

It took me too many chapters to realize that "sanbae" was the equivalent of "sempai" and not the name of various characters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh look, here's chapter 79 for Good Ending.

:smith: Well, there's that trainwreck that's been barreling towards us. Although, thinking it over the author really tends to end each chapter with a line/preview that implies the next chapter is going to be terribly sad, and so far anyway, every time it's been mostly ok for them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

a kitten posted:

Oh look, here's chapter 79 for Good Ending.

:smith: Well, there's that trainwreck that's been barreling towards us. Although, thinking it over the author really tends to end each chapter with a line/preview that implies the next chapter is going to be terribly sad, and so far anyway, every time it's been mostly ok for them.

Well we all know what happens when that sort of situation ends up panning out correctly in the world of manga.

Accidental teen pregnancy and a stupid ending. :v:

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Scans for the Kuragehime manga have passed the end of the anime and are coming out at a decent pace, though I think they're close to caught up. For anyone who missed the anime last year, it's the story of a group of shut-in otaku girls who face the destruction of their apartment and the very pretty boy (who most of them think is a girl) who helps them out.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

oh, nice! I'd missed that there was a manga for Kuragehime. I'll definitely check it out.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Maid-Sama

Shintani looks like he's ready to yell "OYAKATA-SAMA!!!" :byodood:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good Ending is up to chapter 81. The last few chapters, most definitely including this one, have really been full of adorably awkward young love, with the constant threat of impending doom. So, ya know, normal for GE.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

a kitten posted:

Good Ending is up to chapter 81. The last few chapters, most definitely including this one, have really been full of adorably awkward young love, with the constant threat of impending doom. So, ya know, normal for GE.

Haha his dad was as goofy as he is.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
You know, there's a chance the trauma might not trigger if she just went on top.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well now, I have apparently read the finest work of poetry mankind will ever produce. I'm not going to bother reading the manwha, though. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/taming_the_cat_master/

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

New chapter of Kimi ni Todoke
http://somemanga.com/manga/Kimi_Ni_Todoke/58/

Ack, the whole chapter covers about 15 minutes. And it's definitely a shoujo chapter - lots of feelings.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could have predicted with near 100% accuracy what was going to happen in that chapter given how the last chapter (57) ended. It was just a matter of who would walk in on them.

That said, I'm not really that upset since despite being a clichéd sequence of events I feel like KnT handled it mostly well and that things are moving a good direction...maybe.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kimi ni Todoke 58:
The fact that it was Ayane of all people, the one person who has been trying since practically the beginning to get them together made me laugh enough to drown out any minor annoyance about typical shoujo antics. It does seem that those two at least are succeeding at getting closer to each other and that they will actually successfully kiss each other sooner rather than later. Regarding the rest of the cast, I swear Chizu and Ryu know even less what to do with whatever feelings they have for each other than Sawako and Kazehaya did/do. Haven't you two learned anything by thinking about what those two went through over the last year(s)?

Despite that, I actually really like the slow languorous pace of this and other shoujo romance stuff. Even all the pages that are just close ups of eyes, fingertips, sparkles and whatever, even though I know that in some ways those things just eat up pages they also convey the mood and feelings the characters are experiencing in a way that's both effective and novel to me.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Yes, it's nice that they aren't talking too much about their feelings and that the artist can depict what's going on without words. I think Strobe Edge is an example where the character talked about her feelings and it was awkward enough that I skipped those descriptions.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well now, I have apparently read the finest work of poetry mankind will ever produce. I'm not going to bother reading the manwha, though. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/taming_the_cat_master/

The most worse one.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
"What's being in love like?"
"It's when your heart goes 'kyuuuuu'"

Next scene, cute guy talks to girl then walks away.
Girl puts clenched hand to her chest.

I feel like I've seen that a bunch of times.

I enjoy the kind of slow-burn style of Kimi ni Todoke. I like that they're both inexperienced and working through all this at the same time.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

DrSunshine posted:

Hana no Asukagumi.

Late to the party, but I'm quite enjoying this one. Would admit to getting a cheap laugh out of scarface girl though - under that mask her face is barely even scratched.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Oh Good Ending, you just keep maintaining the status quo and we'll keep reading for some reason you loving tease. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Full two minute trailer for the upcoming live action Paradise Kiss movie. The lack of blue hair is a bummer, but not a deal breaker, and I'd have loved to hear "Lonely in Gorgeous" in there, maybe it will make an appearance in the movie itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5PZKoO4v_Q

That reminds me I need to actually sit down and watch the movie for Kimi ni Todoke too, rather than giving up after ten minutes, which probably wasn't enough time to form an actual informed opinion on it.

Octave wrapped up its final chapter and it ended really well. They wrapped up some things, other things aren't perfect but they are looking to their future together and overall it seems optimistic, but not unrealistically so. It also appears that Yukino has come out to her mother (I actually think her mom suspected the last time she was home) and she seems to have taken it well. Which is good, they've really been through some pretty serious crap over the course of the series. Definitely worth a read if you enjoy the romance genre at all, don't let the fact that it's supposedly yuri deter you, this feels believably like a couple of twentysomethings crashing into love, with all the dizzying highs and maddening lows that your first real love can bring.

Also, drat it Good Ending, you are going to make me crazy with your constant Good Ending-ness. :mad:

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Usagi drop 36 is out. http://somemanga.com/manga/Usagi_Drop/36/

I heard this might be the last chapter?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't think it's quite the end, but you might want to just bail now before it gets there, the author seriously takes a huge poo poo over the whole thing, and I'm still kind of mad in real life over it.

Details can be found here with musouka's posts, she just finished reading it in Japanese, she adds some scans to confirm it are here. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

henne posted:

Usagi drop 36 is out. http://somemanga.com/manga/Usagi_Drop/36/

I heard this might be the last chapter?

Oh gently caress, here it is!

Wait, where the hell did that awful ending we all heard about go? Maybe the scanlators stopped just before disaster? Rin keeps blushing and vaguely hitting on Daikichi...

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 2, 2011