Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

feel free to empty quote this if you also think ikkoku nikki is da best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone should read Ikoku Nikki imo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

its da best

i say this without exaggeration: it’s literally one of the best manga i have ever read.

If you, yes you, the gentle goon reading this post haven’t yet tried it please give it a look

edit: it admittedly doesn’t share much in common with Ikkoku Nikki, but one of her previous works, ‘Butter!!!’ (https://mangadex.org/title/20051751-9096-4302-bd7e-76e1de8367fb/butter) is pretty good. I read through it last week and can recommend it.

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 12, 2022

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Sleepy time manga updated again. Very cute.

Whats with the repetition of shots against a huge glass with a whale like figure or a literal whale behind them in various mangas.

Is that a reference or just pretty

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the josei smut side, We Can't Do Just Plain Love is good. There's good comic sense and the leads are fun idiots and have good chemistry. There is just sadly not more of it yet, particularly given where the latest chapter leaves off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses except she hasn't really for a good chunk of this volume. This wraps up volume 8 and now I have to go cry in a corner until the next one drops. Mie is getting less and less subtle and it's killing me that Komura refuses to pick up on it, but it comes from a place of crushing self-doubt rather than the usual protag obliviousness, so uh I can relate.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Found out that the man who cleans up makeup got picked up by Webtoon as The Makeup Remover and I had 70 chapters to read.

Still good.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
After reading all available chapters of Sono Bisque Doll and Artisan's Bride (Cuprum Bride?), artisan + gyaru seems like a pretty winning combination.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Found out that the man who cleans up makeup got picked up by Webtoon as The Makeup Remover and I had 70 chapters to read.

Still good.

If you haven't read Surviving Romance by the same author, you should. It's really good and also on Webtoon.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487108672601927681?s=20&t=XeOybftu9A4GUJchAWXphg
nice!
I liked what I read of this but the scan tl got really awful so I quit following. (age gap plus he's her boss and they live together, very problematic! lol)

e: also I wasn't reading this one but I know some other folks were
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487109730598281216?s=20&t=OH61w4_8iitX5PAtLkTJPw

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 28, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Everything Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487108672601927681?s=20&t=XeOybftu9A4GUJchAWXphg
nice!
I liked what I read of this but the scan tl got really awful so I quit following. (age gap plus he's her boss and they live together, very problematic! lol)

e: also I wasn't reading this one but I know some other folks were
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487109730598281216?s=20&t=OH61w4_8iitX5PAtLkTJPw

Oh dang, super excited for Kowloon nice

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Ikoku Nikki Chapter 44 https://mangadex.org/chapter/ddf0b4db-3241-4028-9021-af94fa030a7a/1

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

L-O-N posted:

If you haven't read Surviving Romance by the same author, you should. It's really good and also on Webtoon.

This is not at all what I expected, but it does own.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh poo poo, this finally got licenced
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1494071733216817158?t=Gk9u82-WRGaNTkM8mJI5BQ&s=19

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Yesssssss.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read a bunch of manga this week and the last even though i normally can't stand the format because i had been watching anime and was frustrated at some non-endings. and then i just read some manga just because, which is something I haven't done since I was 13 and didn't particularly like back then (i don't think you can cure yourself of the reflex to flip pages left to right, but it's easier zoomed in on my phone. except it's still harder to read than a real book. whatever.)

bloom into you: extremely good, the anime ends just after the school play which means basically the entire drama behind everything is still up in the air. imagine my frustration when i read the manga and they could have finished it out with literally like 2 or 3 more episodes lmfao. anyway if im being honest this is kind of melodramatic and stupid, but in a way that teenagers are melodramatic and stupid so at least it makes sense. very tightly paced, but doesn't feel like anyone's underdeveloped really. then again the supporting characters had more time in the anime so maybe that's coloring my perspective. whatever gently caress you. 10/10

rent-a-girlfriend: this is also kind of melodramatic and stupid and probably not at all a shoujo (but still a romance) but the main romance is sweet, and also chizaru's childhood story made me cry a little bit. it seems like it's on its last few chapters, but frankly it could have been 100 chapters shorter and still felt too long. if you've ever wanted to see arguments that wind up for multiple chapters like a DBZ fight this is for you. i didn't watch the anime for it because it looked like poo poo but every time I searched for romance manga it popped up extremely highly rated so i gave it a shot. i wouldn't say I regret it but it really is far too long for what it is. 7/10. maybe even a 6 for length. holy poo poo it's long.

are you really getting married?: i love this and im mad that it's new + not finished. this is the kind of thing I like best, im sick to death of reading about teenagers and i would prefer to read about complete losers who are my age instead. in an ongoing trend komiya's childhood story made me cry a little. i guess maybe i have a soft spot for extremely lonely childhoods. 9/10

fly me to the moon/tonikawa kawaii: i really loved the anime for this, and the manga is great too. this is the ultimate slice of life though, it goes loving nowhere. anyway i dropped it around chapter 80 because I'm pretty sure the site I read it on changed translator groups and it was a noticeable drop in quality. in fact i didn't bother to check but I suspect it was a pirated English copy and then some dipshit scanlator because the first couple volumes were basically line for line almost exactly the same as the anime dub. also the font changed. 8/10

komi-san can't communicate: this is the best. the anime was amazing and the manga is probably a little better actually, if only because the anime ends before the good stuff begins to start. unlike rent a girlfriend this is long without feeling like it overstays it's welcome, because instead of dragging out a scene for 3 chapters it just has half of every volume being independent scenes that don't usually have much to do with the plot. i haven't quite caught up yet but I'm close and im sad about that. it's kind of lacking on the romance front if you ask this hefty gamer but it is there even if the pace is glacial. luckily the rest of the story is so good I don't mind. 9/10

horimiya: might be my overall favorite here even though I have bloom a 10. i read all of the manga because i heard a second season was coming up and was unsurprised but slightly irritated to discover that they both end in basically the same place. the anime even covers most of the side stories. so im left wondering what the hell the second season of the anime is supposed to cover. anyway im kind of pissed that the proposal is basically the end since to my mind that's the midpoint of a story like this, but whatever. extremely good while it lasts. 9/10

i read a couple shorter ones in here that were good but not really good enough to bother commenting on. well actually i really liked girl friends but i wish it had a last volume about them getting an apartment or something. i guess im used to thinking of graduating school as the beginning of a story and not the end, but that's not how school stories go in anime/manga.

anyway that's my 9000 words about how I fell down a weeb hole the last 2 weeks.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 19, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you want a couple of other decent working age adult romances I thought I'm Nearly 30 But This Is My First Love was a fun read. There's also Wotakoi but I don't think anyone's scanlating that because it has an official English release. Very good official translations and translator notes on that one at least.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larry Parrish posted:

i read a bunch of manga this week and the last even though i normally can't stand the format because i had been watching anime and was frustrated at some non-endings. and then i just read some manga just because, which is something I haven't done since I was 13 and didn't particularly like back then (i don't think you can cure yourself of the reflex to flip pages left to right, but it's easier zoomed in on my phone. except it's still harder to read than a real book. whatever.)

bloom into you: extremely good, the anime ends just after the school play which means basically the entire drama behind everything is still up in the air. imagine my frustration when i read the manga and they could have finished it out with literally like 2 or 3 more episodes lmfao. anyway if im being honest this is kind of melodramatic and stupid, but in a way that teenagers are melodramatic and stupid so at least it makes sense. very tightly paced, but doesn't feel like anyone's underdeveloped really. then again the supporting characters had more time in the anime so maybe that's coloring my perspective. whatever gently caress you. 10/10

rent-a-girlfriend: this is also kind of melodramatic and stupid and probably not at all a shoujo (but still a romance) but the main romance is sweet, and also chizaru's childhood story made me cry a little bit. it seems like it's on its last few chapters, but frankly it could have been 100 chapters shorter and still felt too long. if you've ever wanted to see arguments that wind up for multiple chapters like a DBZ fight this is for you. i didn't watch the anime for it because it looked like poo poo but every time I searched for romance manga it popped up extremely highly rated so i gave it a shot. i wouldn't say I regret it but it really is far too long for what it is. 7/10. maybe even a 6 for length. holy poo poo it's long.

are you really getting married?: i love this and im mad that it's new + not finished. this is the kind of thing I like best, im sick to death of reading about teenagers and i would prefer to read about complete losers who are my age instead. in an ongoing trend komiya's childhood story made me cry a little. i guess maybe i have a soft spot for extremely lonely childhoods. 9/10

fly me to the moon/tonikawa kawaii: i really loved the anime for this, and the manga is great too. this is the ultimate slice of life though, it goes loving nowhere. anyway i dropped it around chapter 80 because I'm pretty sure the site I read it on changed translator groups and it was a noticeable drop in quality. in fact i didn't bother to check but I suspect it was a pirated English copy and then some dipshit scanlator because the first couple volumes were basically line for line almost exactly the same as the anime dub. also the font changed. 8/10

komi-san can't communicate: this is the best. the anime was amazing and the manga is probably a little better actually, if only because the anime ends before the good stuff begins to start. unlike rent a girlfriend this is long without feeling like it overstays it's welcome, because instead of dragging out a scene for 3 chapters it just has half of every volume being independent scenes that don't usually have much to do with the plot. i haven't quite caught up yet but I'm close and im sad about that. it's kind of lacking on the romance front if you ask this hefty gamer but it is there even if the pace is glacial. luckily the rest of the story is so good I don't mind. 9/10

horimiya: might be my overall favorite here even though I have bloom a 10. i read all of the manga because i heard a second season was coming up and was unsurprised but slightly irritated to discover that they both end in basically the same place. the anime even covers most of the side stories. so im left wondering what the hell the second season of the anime is supposed to cover. anyway im kind of pissed that the proposal is basically the end since to my mind that's the midpoint of a story like this, but whatever. extremely good while it lasts. 9/10

i read a couple shorter ones in here that were good but not really good enough to bother commenting on. well actually i really liked girl friends but i wish it had a last volume about them getting an apartment or something. i guess im used to thinking of graduating school as the beginning of a story and not the end, but that's not how school stories go in anime/manga.

I still remember falling down the drama/romance manga rabbit hole in 2011-2013.

Also watch the Kare kano anime.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive always preferred romance anime there's just not that many good ones that are dubbed lol. so im slow to get into it. snow white with the red hair has been my favorite anime for like 10 years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

If you want a couple of other decent working age adult romances I thought I'm Nearly 30 But This Is My First Love was a fun read. There's also Wotakoi but I don't think anyone's scanlating that because it has an official English release. Very good official translations and translator notes on that one at least.
I hadn't realized this finished scanlating, so now I've got something to spend my sunday on. Neat, thanks!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

you might like bonnouji though i think it's technically seinen, w/r/t wanting to read about adults https://mangadex.org/title/e5e6b437-611a-4d7f-81a3-c3cd692fc885/bonnouji

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Please love the useless me is pretty good as well.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i finished Wotokai up to vol 10 because I can't find 11 in English and somehow the manga is cuter than the already extremely good anime lol. i had to sit there for a second and consider if painfully piecing out Portuguese was worth it lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might check out A Side Character's Love Story, it's super sweet and cute and the characters are college students working at a convenience store. There's 8 volumes out in English.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow that site it's published on has the worst poo poo I've ever seen for payment lmfao. Not only is it in fun money but it's in weird denominations

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's on Tapas as a web comic but you can get it in volume form basically anywhere you can buy digital manga like amazon, bookwalker, kobo, etc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The epilogue chapter for Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow just came out. It's sweet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's on Tapas as a web comic but you can get it in volume form basically anywhere you can buy digital manga like amazon, bookwalker, kobo, etc.

:shrug: it didn't show up on Amazon. I'll look harder later cuz the search sucks sometimes. You have to guess which transliteration or translation they went with.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larry Parrish posted:

:shrug: it didn't show up on Amazon. I'll look harder later cuz the search sucks sometimes. You have to guess which transliteration or translation they went with.

https://www.amazon.com/Side-Characters-Love-Story-Vol-ebook/dp/B084DJ1PS3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol that's what I searched for. I blame the app. Thanks. I know it's kind of mangaupdates thing to not link directly anywhere but would it kill them to have a direct link to official stuff...?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kotoko to Ojisan is a cute short comic. The lead is a goober and the tea shop owner is great at stirring things up.

It is also a great offense to me personally that this has no translated chapters yet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol that's what I searched for. I blame the app. Thanks. I know it's kind of mangaupdates thing to not link directly anywhere but would it kill them to have a direct link to official stuff...?

np
When possible for licensed stuff I like to link to the publisher because they'll usually have links out to where you can buy stuff, but this particular one has been released by a publisher that hasn't made a good hub page for it that I could find so mangaupdates at least gives you *some* info while still being a fairly neutral place to link to.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

chumbler posted:

Kotoko to Ojisan is a cute short comic. The lead is a goober and the tea shop owner is great at stirring things up.

Nice, like a good ojisan manga

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You might check out A Side Character's Love Story, it's super sweet and cute and the characters are college students working at a convenience store. There's 8 volumes out in English.

i burned through these and they're very sweet lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read domestic girlfriend because I really liked the anime and it had a suck ending as many one season wonders do, so I burned through all ~300 chapters. to my surprise it actually got even better after where the anime left off, and became a story about young working professionals building their lives and I was so hooked.

then the ending happened lmfao. i mean it's not a bad ending exactly but I'm so loving pissed off still lol. why?! i mean curve balls like that were kind of the mangas shtick but it always settled back to the same place, except for this time when it didn't. im so mad. literally it all happens in the last 5 chapters.

actually now that I think about it it probably just got canceled and the author thought it would be funny to end it like that. that makes way more sense than it being planned like that.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The more manga you read the more familiar with the Cancellation Ending you will become