Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

a kitten posted:

So I can completely recommend the following:
Aoi Hana, Manga no Tsukurikata, Sasimeki Koto, Girl Friends, and Octave .

Thanks for this list. My occasional pokings at shoujo-ai/yuri have (sturgenically, as you suggest) never turned up anything interesting. But I just read through Manga No Tsukurikata and Octave back to back on this recommendation and enjoyed both. I'll have to check out the rest eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Doesn't sound very shoujo-y or romantic.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

They released v2, so that link is dead. new link

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
The next two chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika are out (yes, this is different from the previous announcement of two new chapters).

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kakukaku-Shikajika/Vol-005-Ch-031-Read-Online?id=226402

Only two more chapters after this and it's over.

nothings fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2015

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Permission"? Has the scanslator ever played a game of MTG before?

I would assume 'yes'. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/asking-permission-2002-04-12

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Permission"? Has the scanslator ever played a game of MTG before?

To clarify: yes. Probably back when _I_ played MtG (in the 1990s), since this is what we called it back then. The late 1990s is indeed "ever", and it is indeed "before".

Yes, I am being pedantic. Guess what, complaining that a term a scanlator uses for a fictionalized version of MtG is wrong is you being pedantic first.

Anyway, on topic: it's hard to say from two chapters, but personally I don't have high hopes for this comic vs. Bonnouji. Pseudo-naked middle schooler, shounen-sports-battle scenes... not doing it for me.

nothings fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 26, 2015

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

So Real Clothes is crazy awesome. Is there anything else like this that could be recommended, something along the lines of a woman gets her poo poo together and starts being crazy awesome at her job and it's a fun read? At least I think that's what I liked about it.

Haven't read Real Clothes so I dunno and the lead character starts awesome at her job, but maybe Hataraki Man by Moyoco Anno?

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone read "In the Clothes Named Fat"? It seems kind of interesting/depressing.

edit: Well poo poo, that was a downer.

Yeah, a few years back when I was in my Moyoco Anno phase and I'd run out of anthing else licensed or translated by her, I saw that In The Clothes Named Fat was available in French on amazon.fr, so I bought that and muddled through with my long-forgotten high school French intending to make my own scanlation (mainly just for myself). Then JShoujo started theirs up before I finished my script, so I killed it. (Check the credits of the last third of the scanlated chapters from JShoujo.)

And yeah, ItCNF hit a lot of the things that I like about Anno, but it was so depressing. Hataraki Man, which I mentioned a few pages back, is not depressing and is good, albeit short and on hiatus, probably forever.

If you can, I do recommend her better-known, licensed works, Happy Mania (josei), Flowers & Bees (seinen), and Sugar Sugar Rune (shoujo)--the last is too shoujo for me personally, but it still has some classic Anno elements that make me happy.

nothings fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
The first episode of this documentary on mangaka features Akiko Higashimura of Kuraghime & Kakukaku Shikajika. (If it was linked before I don't remember it; the English subtitled version only came out a month ago.)