Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

With only just five chapters published, Musume no Iede has me completely hooked - and I hope Shimura Takako keeps up the trend of telling everyones story, not just that of the main character, as I really like that kind of story-telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Suggestions for someone who needs reading material and is a sad sack that got dumped? :toot:
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou will teach you about mono no aware, which can only be loosely translated as the appreciation of the beauty, and the quiet acceptence of the transcience of all things. It's helped me multiple times, once after a breakup and most recently when I was diagnosed with cancer after a 5 hour surgery, before they could begin chemo and radiation therapy - which I'm now hopefully done with.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You're thinking of hikikomori, which usually gets translated as an acute form of social withdrawl, the same thing that causes people to become hermits.

In other news, I recently finished Love So Life, and I was literally squeeing like a little girl despite being a man in his 30s.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

ahhh so cute :3:
Hibi Chouchou extra - it's about one of the friends and her boyfriend
Is this done? Because baka-updates lists it as completely scanlated, but that seems unlikely it's completely scanlated if there's still extras coming out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, GodTamamusi has apparently been working on a new manga called Bright and Cheery Amnesia that was recently picked up for translation over on Dynasty Scans (by Seiyuuri and Girls in Boxes) that seems to tick a couple of really good boxes as it's about adults ☑, has romance ☑, is slice-of-life ☑. So the only thing remaining is whether to see if has an ending ☐ gets checked

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 28, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

When it comes to keeping track of manga, I really prefer just using baka-updates - it lets me keep track of series even when the scanlation group only have tha mange hosted on their own site, or no reader site has picked it up yet. Additionally, you can also have multiple lists and the advanced search lets you include and exclude various things, so if I need a list of the manga I want to read that's completely scanlated, I can get that without also seeing all the manga I've already read, because whenever I read a manga or finish I keep track of it using baka-updates' volume/chapter tracking.

When it comes to reading, I usually grab the batch torrent, since I only ever read completed manga anyway - and then use ComicRack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

As far as healing manga goes, one of the few series I've found that come close is Wife & Wife.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Candy Boy (warning: contains sister/sister relationship) and Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san are also worth watching. Then there's a re-cut version of Kuttsukiboshi called Pepper Cut that, if you can get hold of it, isn't terrible. Finally there's the seemingly never-ending list of "moeblobs doing moeblobby things"-shows which tend to have varying degrees of subtext - stuff like Yuyushiki, Yuru Yuri, Non Non Biyori, A-channel, Lucky Star, Is the Order a Rabbit?, Kinmoza!, Locodol, and Girl Friend Beta (listed in approximate order of subtext) - but the problem with them is that you have to find the "moeblobs doing moeblobby things"-genre to be at somewhat interesting/not completely dull which understandably can be an insurmountable obstacle for a lot of people.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 17, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's a very good and worthwile point to make, yes. It's been a long while since I watched it, so I apparently forgot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's a also very good and worthwile point to make, yes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I stumbled upon The Love Doctor, a yuri romance story about a young woman in college who has problems with love, so she calls ~The Love Doctor~ and yet somehow, I can't help but think "Physician, heal thyself"...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

Thanks for posting this. As of part 10, I'm really liking it so far. Is it ongoing? If so, is there some way to keep track of updates? I dunno how this imgur thing works.
It's ongoing, yes - I believe it's being translated by the same people who're definitely not still translating What Does The Fox Say - either way, to my knowledge there's no official channels to get it. As for the imgur, just bookmark it and check for updates regularily.

Speaking of which, WDTFS is supposedly approaching its natural end - according to people familiar with it, it's supposed to be around 80-90 chapters long. Said people also told me that the author referenced/paid homage to Fluttering Feelings, in light of that series' status, which I think is nice even if it's probably gonna ensure that I get something in my eyes whenever I get around to reading WDTFS.

Either way, I'll be attempting to keep track of when the series finish, because I tend to prefer binge reading, so I don't wanna read it until it's finished - so I'll probably remember to post about them ending too.

Someone please tell me if any of the above is considered a spoiler, I'm not sure it is but if it is I'll edit my post with spoiler tags.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is going out on a a bit of a limb, but you have read Lovely Complex, right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Last chapter of Silver Gymnasium was uploaded.

It sure is raining hard right now.
The last chapter, but there's a 20-page follow-up that has yet to be translated - according to Pixiv, it's called "I'm Home".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I stumbled over There's No Way My Shut-In Vampire Princess Bride Can Be This Cute And Also I Am A Magical Vampire Hunter Girl Please Send Help, and I couldn't not share it - if for no other reason than that that title is something else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I agree, Prunus Girl is good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Isn't it a pun based on the fact that trees in the Prunus genus all have fruits with stones in them, what with Japanese humor/comedy being what it is (ie. full of puns as seen in both manzai and rakugo)? That's what I always assumed, since I know prunus trees grow plums, cherries and apricots as my parents had such trees in their yard when I was a kid.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 29, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Touma-kun by Amano Shuninta.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

imo all romance is good regardless of orientation - even up-side down is fine

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's not exactly new, though, considering it's from 2006..

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bura Girl is also pretty cute, even if it is over-the-top racy at times.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The last chapter of Nanashi no Asterism was uploaded to Dynasty yesterday, and there's all kinds of gender-bending and hijinx.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Terper posted:

Boy did I not like that series.
Yeah, I can't say I like it much either.. I just discovered it'd ended after adding it to my wishlist on baka-updates, but I didn't even finish reading it.

With that being said, though - and because I don't like making bad recommendations, you might like Lily Love which also just ended.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My system involves using baka-updatesmangaupdates for both finding new series (by using their advanced search, since it lets me not only include/exclude what I want to find, but also only search for finished/unfinished series), and also using it to keep track of what I've actually read - although that requires creating a user.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anime is steadily declining and has been for more than the past decade based on the amount of millions of yen the industry is reporting having sold for, with 2016 at 41.8 billion (warning: pdf) yen:

While I haven't been able to find a year-over-year chart for manga to show a similar decline, everything I know tells me it's also happening - however, the manga industry reportedly sold for 445.4 billion yen last year, which is ten-fold that of anime and is a tiny bit (0.4%) more than 2015.

So it's pretty fair to say that manga is a bit more popular than anime.

EDIT: Looking into this, it's a little interesting to look at the currently published series and to note just how big One Piece is; it's currently pulling in double the amount as #2 is, despite the fact that Golgo 13 has been published for double the number of years that One Piece has.
However, perhaps more relevantly, Glass Mask - a romance shoujo manga - is still in the top-20 of currently published series. Unfortunately, owing to its length and still-onging status, it's impossible to say whether the translation that was being attempted will actually be finished - which is unfortunate, because it's supposedly really good.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 20, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Agronox posted:

I prefer liking things to not liking things!

This one-shot little comedy romance thing was fun:

https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/love-is-blind-r21852

Ahahaha, what the gently caress. This is the greatest thing ever, and it includes Vogons on top of that.
EDIT: It absolutely deserves to be bumped to a new page.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 20, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If there was justice in this world, the Yuyushiki translation would be a lot closer to volume 9 that's scheduled to hit amazon.co.jp on 26/8-2017.

On the upside, this is soon:

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone going to Comiket this year.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 23, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

2018 anime and Kase-san!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HenryEx posted:

This is literally just Arielle. He even has red hair! Come on!
Despite the fact that H.C. Andersen was on the curriculum of every Danish school when I was a kid, I actually think it's a pretty cool idea to have a gender-bent telling of that tale.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Apparently Kase-san And Anime is only going to be an OVA, but at least it has an estimated release date of early summer 2018.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So what you're saying is that Zoglin will return more powerful than before?

Just like Yotsuba then.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Poil posted:

I really wish there was more yuri anime to watch
:same:
Wife and Wife anime when???

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It may have some use in the Mousou Telepathy and Slice of Life threads.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

Just wanted to chime in that I read through this about a month ago because you never shut up about it. Thank you for not shutting up about it. My favorite part was how the MC is like the last person to realize that he's totally gay.
You might also like Bura Girl.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I find a lot of manga websites a lot easier to put up with by running noscript (with default blacklisting), ublock origin (with as many filters as I feel are relevant), and using the Manga Loader userscript with GreaseMonkey (Firefox), Tampermonkey (Chrome), or whatever else handles client javascript for your browser of choice.
Having said that, it can take a bit of finagling to get to work right if you insist on using all of them together on Firefox Quantum.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The reason why I suggested Manga Loader is that it lets you use basically any site, with noscript enabled for anything besides the site itself (since, to my knowledge, all the issues with various manga sites usually stem from 3rd party scripts).
As a bonus, it also means that the layout always looks the same.

If I could actually see properly, I'd probably use my Kindle - but that's not really an option.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

With all this talk of manga reader sites, I just wanna mention Manga Loader (and its NSFW version).
On all sites they work on (kissmanga, and many others - see the sites on greasyfork.org that I linked to), they make it so that you don't have to worry about ads or anything else and can just scroll.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs over on Dynasty Scans has just finished being translated.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 14, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of thirsty, did anyone mention that faces mangaMousou Telepathy has picked up again and that we're enjoying the faces over in the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AnaKris has finally finished Memory Of Sorrow, the sequel to Cross Heart that she published almost a decade ago. The sequel is in full color, and will tear your heart out in the best way possible and proably leave you crying happy tears.