Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kusaru posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for romance with actual progress involving people past high school?

If you can wait ~36 episodes, Honey & Clover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Willsun posted:

I don't know what happens storywise after what the anime covers, but the backstory was similar in that Hagu was left without a guardian after her grandma died and is taken up by the much older Shuji who at the end of the second season confesses he likes her.
I might be misremembering things, but I took that part from the anime as Shuji taking on a sort of permanent guardianship role, not a lover's role (because Hagu was just so broken that there wasn't really any hope for her to have a normal relationship), where he could at least make sure that she was able to continue with her art. It seemed more like a tragic resignation to chaperoned spinsterhood than 'welp, guess we're gonna be an item.'

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Baron Snow posted:

Honey & Clover is frustrating for a different reason. HUGE Honey & Clover spoiler - The core theme is that of unrequited love, and no one gets together with anyone at the end.
:negative:

Didn't the guy with glasses end up with the widow with the scar on her back? I remember they did it, and I don't recall anything implying that they split up. Also the pottery girl seemed on-track with the suave co-worker.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robo Pope posted:

Uggg loving Honey & Clover. The first season ends on such a hopeful note, and then season 2 comes along and kicks you in the dick. That's one of the few shows I seriously wish I hadn't seen the second season of.

See, I really liked season 2. It was bittersweet, but it was kinda nice to recognize that sometimes things just don't work out and you have to move on with your life, instead of going for a kirameki rabu rabu story. I thought the ending was really well done, too. I was also having some issues in my life at the time I was watching it that kinda mirrored some of Takemoto's, so it was a bit cathartic for me, and that probably makes it a much better series for me than it would necessarily be for someone else.

And the unicorns guarding the princess will always be hilarious.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 11, 2011

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zorak posted:

I never watched Kare Kano to its ending, what was weird about it?

It was stills and text boxes that told a story about two of the side characters in the third person.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SpazmasterX posted:

I like Shou's family more than anything about Yuki, but he's still hanging around the Wrong Girl. :colbert:
The Right Girl, of course, being Oonuma. :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The_Frag_Man posted:

Did.. did anybody like Amigami SS? It is apparently getting a second season.

I.. I liked it. :ohdear:
It had one good story.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SpazmasterX posted:

Kaoru's is unquestionably the best.

This gentleman is aware of what is right and proper.

And yeah, the first story is the worst as far as the main character goes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SpazmasterX posted:

:siren: NYANKOI RETURNS :siren:

As heartened as I am by this news, that chapter lacked the two most important characters.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Baron Snow posted:

Wait, did Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa just end? Is that it?

I don't think so. He's out of the mirror, but both of the girls have forgotten the confessions, so there's still got to be something up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GUITAR VILLAIN posted:

Mahoromatic
I might give up on the manga and just watch the anime over again, as the second season apparently continues the manga's story to completion, and I do want to see how it ends.

:siren: ABORT! ABORT! :siren:

You do not want to see how it ends.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blhue posted:

I thought it was meh, but he ended up with the love interest that I found most boring so that colors my opinion a bit.
I thought it was more interesting that they went with the one they did; it would be more typical to go with the other. I enjoyed the series overall.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

I am sadly going to go with "yes, it's not worth it". The ending is probably worse than you are imagining (no clue what they're going on about comparing it to Honey and Clover).
I've only seen the anime version of H&C, but I think what they might be talking about is Hagu ending up "with" her uncle, although my understanding is that it wasn't like they were getting married but that he was going to look after her for the rest of her life because she was too broken to be able to function in society or a normal relationship. Overall I loved the ending to H&C's anime, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's always a market for "forbidden romance," and the teacher-student thing manages to be a bit illicit without drawing too much fire.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AYC posted:

Well, Anohana now has the distinction of being the only anime that has ever made me cry.
Time to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jackofarcades posted:

It's amazing to me that this is the same mangaka as Aozora Yell, which is just a completely humorless and earnest high school sports/band manga.
The same guy did both Claymore and Angel Densetsu. Nothing should surprise you after that one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

Wait, what about leaving Japan after HS and having cool adventures?! Surely, someone has considered that before.
Outside Japan? You mean where all the gai(koku)jin are?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Assuming we're ignoring stories where the romance is clearly secondary such as Silver Spoon or Biscuit Hammer, then there actually only a few that immediately come to mind. Fruits Basket maybe, and technically Kimi ni Todoke even though it's more of a technicality (all of the other relationships are boring).
Fruits Basket is one of the few series where the actual main couple are the ones I thought seemed the best.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
From what I recall of AP Euro History, the Polish nobility selected their king based on the first guy to be carried out of the room where they were making the decision.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except that you and I know that looking for an article from 2002 is pedantic and that nobody calls it that, it's just a "control" deck.
"Permission" has been a commonly used term for well over a decade, so I don't know why you're saying nobody uses it. Permission is a subset of control which focuses on counterspells, control can cover other strategies like board control, land destruction, discard, etc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

That one teacher looks like the brother of Tohru's creepy friend whose name I've obviously forgotten in the decade since I read FB.
Tohru's friend was named Saki Hanajima, her brother was Megumi.

I think the first teacher was the student council president in FB (http://fruitsbasket.wikia.com/wiki/Takei_Makoto).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The anime doesn't get to a lot of things, but it has excellent music, use of said music, and comedic timing. I think it really adds a lot to the content it does cover.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thuryl posted:

Honestly if you liked Utena partly because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did rather than in spite of it, it's probably worth your time to watch Yurikuma and form your own opinion on it, but if you thought things like the pre-duel sequences or exposition of Utena's backstory got repetitive and grating then YKA's probably not gonna be for you, because stylistically YKA is all about setting up repeating patterns in order to break them later on.
I loved Utena because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did, and have a shrine to Shinbou in my closet, so I think it's fair to say I love many extremely stylized things, but YKA felt like Ikuhara going "Look! I'm doing all that Ikuhara stuff you like! Rotating girls in fetal position and descending staircases! This worked before, should work again, right?" and it just kinda falls flat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I wonder if the author remembers that Carol had that oblivious childhood friend.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jackofarcades posted:

Pulse, which is by the author of Lily Love, is about the relationship between a player doctor and a heart transplant patient.

Sexy ethics board hearing action.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Utena. It's both good and long enough that you won't be so tempted to watch those bad shows.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Poil posted:

But they're not out right noooow. :v: What is ntr by the way?

Proof that the internet was a mistake.

Also a GBS meme.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

Not sure if really exists since romance tends to vary towards women readers and I've yet to see a romance 100% focus shounen series other than we must save the princess theme.

Hatsukoi Limited was romance-focused and not save-the-princess. It wasn't harem, either, since there were a bunch of male protags and the relationships were mostly one-on-one (except for a couple guys being into the older girl next door, who was actually going with someone else iirc).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edmond Dantes posted:

I also saw a few comments about it restarting in another magazine? [citation needed] on this.

Someone missed that the tweet about that was from a year ago.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Caitlin posted:

There was a new Slow Motion... don't tell me she's got a terminal illness...

Probably just moving away for parent's new job.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mors Rattus posted:

I recall reading that particularly older BL stuff would play fast and loose with both anatomy and treating the, ah, receiving role as coded-female
Good old Yaoi Holes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mikl posted:

In case anyone besides me is following Hatsukoi Zombie, a heads up: a number of new chapters just dropped, and things are actually happening! :ohdear:

Read a bunch of chapters earlier today, saw that another one was posted, and

ALL ABOARD THE PLOT TRAIN TOOT TOOT

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

I just noticed Kaguya touching her cheek on the last page :3:

How cute.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Starting to really wonder where they are going with this Ishigami subplot.

Ishigami's getting a harem.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

What's the series with the hilariously stretched out stickpeople

there's occasionally screenshots of it where everyone looks like they're 15 feet tall because they're so absurdly lanky. I think they have hands like aye-aye's too, just super weird and long fingers

don't think it's yaoi or anything but whenever someone refers to hosed up anime anatomy that isn't "this person's breasts are too big" and more "this person's proportions are like they got thrown into a taffy puller" I think of those screenshots

Any given CLAMP work, but you're probably thinking of xxxHolic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The author of Yandere Kanojo (as in Yankee-dere, not Yuno Gasai) has a new series about an otaku and a fujoshi falling in love and getting married.

https://mangadex.org/manga/23795

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I read the first couple chapters a long time ago then forgot about it, but I'm now fully caught up, and:

Inflammatory posted:

kanou loving rules.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mirage posted:

You can set Mangadex back to (more or less) how it was before by hitting the gear icon button and setting Fit to Width, Long Strip, Preload 20 images. Then hide the sidebar and never touch it again.

There are a few extra options which might be useful at times, like Fit to Height and Max Container Width for those scanlators that have gigantic page scans. It's nice to have options. Unfortunately your initial impression is still kinda wonky.

There are also a bunch of keyboard shortcuts listed under the reader settings, like pressing m to go to the index page for the manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shalltear's lamprey thing is not even grotesque cute though, hungry lovecraft girl up there kinda looks like a cute frog, especially during the in between transitional form; I feel like it reminds me of something from somewhere, either a Disney of a Miyazaki film but I can't put my finger on it.

Cencoroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the way it always is with Best Girls.