Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've been reading a lot of yuri manga lately. Can anyone recommend some good yuri or yaoi series? I'm looking for both explicitly queer manga like Girl Friends as well as stories that just have same-sex tension in them, like Boku wa Mari no Naka. Basically if it's gay I'll read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Has anyone read Shishunki Bitter Change? It's a gender bending/bodyswap manga about a boy and a girl who swap bodies accidentally when they're children and have to grow up "protecting" each other's bodies and social lives. The characters are nuanced and the drama is fairly subtle, and it manages to be about gender and sexuality without being sexualized. As far as interesting gender bending manga are concerned, from what I've seen there's this one and there's Boku wa Mari ni Naka but I'd love to know about any others.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Are there any yuri manga that aren't set in high school? Besides Stretch?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Cool! Thanks for the recommendations :D

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Oh cool, another manga that's actually about trans stuff? Thanks for the link!

edit: oh jeez this is pretty heavy hitting right away.
double edit: This is like the manga I've been waiting for my whole life. The scope of gender and sexuality in this is really, really awesome. The characterization is really strong, too, especially with Marika and Parou.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 21, 2015

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Shishunki Bitter Change has two characters that swap genders at a young age but they're stuck that way as they grow up, and it has some very unsubtle trans elements as the characters hit puberty.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I blazed through Bokura no Hentai in a day and it's super good. There was an author's note about how she interviewed a clinician and a trans woman in preparation for Aoki starting to attend school as a girl, and the thing that surprised me was that she was going on intuition with how she wrote the characters up until then. The scenes where Aoki's fantasizing and feeling lovely about herself were really accurate; I didn't think I'd ever see those sorts of things talked about so honestly in manga. The way the story handles self-destructive feelings and cognitive dissonance are really striking, and I think the thing that it does especially well is that it manages to avoid romanticizing the characters' traumas. The story has a clearly positive attitude about life, even when the characters harbor a lot of darkness. It's really refreshing.

I wonder if Aoki's going to end up as the only character who comes out as trans in this story though. Ryousuke seems pretty comfortable with himself as of the latest chapter, but multiple characters have brought up Tamura seeming happier when he's presenting as a girl.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Tamura will be okay. He's brave and has so many sweet friends. :shobon:

And Ryousuke is so adorable. I really like how Aoki and Ryousuke have grown into such good people.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I could totally go for a manga about an awesome girl hero from a shounen manga and a sweet romantic boy from a shoujo manga, though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Kylra posted:

I really mean more the stuff like where they're still to a significant extent trying to live their lives how the other person wants after so many years, even though there's not really anything providing hope that they'll be able to ever really switch back. Although to be fair, it seems like that's starting to break down.

I dunno, maybe it's also because I read through 4 volumes in one sitting.

I really like that aspect of Shishunki Bitter Change. The way the two kids think about themselves and each other is really interesting. It has a strange effect on their senses of self but there are also times when it seems like a source of strength that they're taking care of each other's bodies. Body swap stories are usually really insipid but their dynamics with each other feel human.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
:shrug: Maybe they'll both come out as trans. That honestly seems like the only way that they'd be able to be happy at this point. If they swapped back, I can't imagine their lives turning out for the better.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

chumbler posted:

Wouldn't their being forced to live in a body that they feel isn't theirs kind of be the exact opposite of trans-positive?

Oh, I meant if Yuuta, in a girl's body, started transitioning back to being a boy and vice versa. By the latest chapter, they both seem to literally have gender dysphoria. If they magically swapped back to their original bodies, they'd probably feel really alienated and it would distort their sense of self, but transitioning in their current bodies would let them feel more comfortable while not uprooting them from years and years of socialization.

I feel like if the bodyswap ends up being a one-time thing, that would totally be a viable option for them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
It feels like it did transition to the end a little abruptly, but the last chapter itself was really beautiful!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Just read Shinmai Shimai and learn how to make Egg Fluffy.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Brainamp posted:

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch11_5

Granted it's only a side chapter, but gently caress it more kase-san.

Ugh Kase-san is such a dreamboat. :allears: I don't know if I want to marry her or be her.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

This looks really cute! Thanks! :D

Edit: I hope this story don't end poorly. The characters are all really sweet and cute!

Cephas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2016

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Hocus Pocus posted:

So I was speaking to a friend of mine who transitioned this year and she brought up how she wanted to start reading manga. She asked me to make a list of romance manga, which I've started and reckon I have under control.

What I'm less sure on is she asked if there were any particularly good manga with trans issues/characters that I could recommend. Reading Bokura no Hentai is what got her interested in manga in the first place.

Can any of you recommend some good manga featuring trans issues/characters? They don't have to necessarily be romance!

Bokura no Hentai, Wandering Son, and The Bride Was a Boy are probably the best ones that I've read. After those, Shishunki Bitter Change is about a boy and girl who swap bodies when they're little and have to grow up the wrong gender. It's not explicitly trans, but the way the characters think about their situation feels pretty authentic to my trans experiences, especially once they start to get older.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I read the first chapter of abused butterfly girl and it made me feel pretty bad. Please be kind to insects.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Alder posted:

(gender-bending mangos)

This is really great; thank you! :D I'm always on the lookout for manga that deal with gender identity or things that are even tangentially trans-ish.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
All I see is a beautiful lesbian couple

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
The thing I like about Shishunki Bitter Change is that they both basically have gender dysphoria. There aren't many manga that actually deal with that well, and even though it's a magical body swap premise the dysphoria they have is pretty realistic. Their weird feelings about being somehow detached guardians to each other's bodies is also really compelling to me, I don't think I've ever seen a character dynamic like it before.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

gmq posted:

Is that manga good? :thunk:

YES!!!!!!! 👭🌼👒👟

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
DisDisDis I can't tell if your hunky dude is loving a kimbap or if his dick is a kimbap. Can you elucidate me?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
He just looks so into it, I figured he might have been enjoying himself. I guess I'd make a similar face if I had a whole kimbap roll in my hand though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

quote:

Other manga by the same author(s)
Bra Girl
Description: She's quite a normal girl with a crush on a handsome boy but she has a hardon everytime she sees him.

Finally a manga that gets me

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

DisDisDis posted:

simple feel good romance about adult characters with lots of softcore sex scenes

Can I get this in yuri form

please

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

I never really thought about it until now but being a va for a wholesome yuri show is probably the best job anyone could ever ask for

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

DisDisDis posted:

There's a buncha new Otome Danshi and it's very sweet as usual

https://mangadex.org/manga/21893/otome-danshi-ni-koisuru-otome

Ugh cute boys who look and act like girls are the best

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Not emptyquoting this for later. Looks super cute!!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That's a really unfortunate panel.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I really liked Bokura no Hentai's trans character. Most of the trans stuff I've seen in manga has been, I dunno, more dignified? But BnH makes its characters more vulnerable and depicts their internal feelings in panels in ways that made me think "Oh, I've totally been there mentally."

I think I actually liked the three kids in Bokura no Hentai as people and was cheering for them, while Himegoto was purely like watching a trainwreck happening in slow motion.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Gay girls being flustered by pretty crossdressing boys is like my dream genre

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Vorpal Cat posted:

"I reincarnated in a fantasy world but forgot to select my gender at character creation"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Alder posted:

Watashi no Shounen:https://mangadex.org/manga/20346/watashi-no-shounen

Office lady befriends local boy and it's not creepy. TBH, I would just read a manga about the 30 y.o. MC and struggling to find meaning in life :catstare:

No idea if it will change but so far they caught up to the latest chapter. Art is nice.

This mom manga is extremely powerful :kimchi:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Mikl posted:

tomboy girl and her genderfluid boyfriend.

this is great

sometimes I legit feel more hopeful about the world just thinking "in a country on the other side of the planet, there are artists who think boyish girls and girlish boys are as cute as I do"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Wha....What is this incredible power?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Is anyone keeping up with Shishunki Bitter Change? I like the characters in it, but I heard about how morbid the original ending for it was. Does it look like it's heading in the same direction? A simple spoilered yes or no would be fine, if it isn't still too early to tell.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

DisDisDis posted:

looking at the author's other stuff and

don't doxx me, nya

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
wait what did i just imply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
This is considered a seinen I guess, but I just read the first chapter of Hanakaku - The Last Girl Standing and it looks like it's extremely my jam :cool: