Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@Kamisama Kiss S2 anime: I look forward to this more than I want to admit considering I kinda don't read shoujo anymore.

Still waiting for Tonari S2 esp. since the manga is complete and I think it's a semi-realistic story w/OK ending.

Anyone have recommendations to series similar to Horimiya? I'm a fan of josei now e.g. Jellyfish Princess and her related manga-ka inspired series. I liked Paradise Kiss (anime + manga) but Nana feels a little too long for me nowadays.

I'm not too crazy about long or melodramatic series like Bokura ga Ita and Ao Haru Ride.

Bonus if doesn't take place in HS and little to zero love triangles because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

Pink by Kyoko Okazaki is very good read.

IIRC reading a review for Pink but eh not much of a fan of the art work orz.

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Have you read Bonnouji? It's about a woman who becomes friends with a guy living in the same condominium. The guy has a room full of random junk that his impulse-shopping brother mails to him.

It's quite undramatic, so it's mainly about how they get along and their daily activities, and how their friendship gradually deepens, rather than any love-related melodrama. The main characters are also adults. It's technically seinen, but I think it fits what you are after.

And also they are a very cute couple.

Thanks will check it out since the cover and summary looks interesting on MU.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Does every romantic comedy mangaka live in the same building or something? There are quite a few lately that are notable first and foremost for their facial expressions.

If this is some kind of deliberate effort by publishing companies, I say keep it up.

Perhaps, but some manga-ka worked as assistants before their official debut series and they could be influenced by other art styles. Also, I imagine it'd get tedious after the 200th page drawn...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm---about latest chapters of Horimiya Did she really hit him based on on a misunderstanding :v:? Man, just another reason I'm glad I'm not in HS level relationship or shoujo manga. I know the remake manga is based on a completed story but will consider dropping it if they started a jealously subplot.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I love the side characters in Kuragehime, but Tsukimi is becoming increasingly annoying with her obliviousness/lack of confidence. I thought she would have developed more.

True, but I still found the latest chapters to be going in a less than entertaining direction with all the new characters introduced.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So she has a nasty temper, beats up her boyfriend and then tries to make him think it is his fault. Miyamura needs to get the gently caress out of that situation.

TBH, I don't recall all the earlier chapters but I'd definitely try to talk him (if he were a IRL friend) to reconsider this relationship for his own well-being :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Someone needs to subvert this trope. The author should take this stupid one-off drama scene and turn it into actual character progression, like the next time they fight, he needs to say, "If you hit me again, we're done." It would come as a shock to everyone, readers and characters alike, and it would be so goddamn refreshing.

Now that you mention it I do see joke-y hitting your friends/love interest tropes everywhere now. What have you done ...?

IIRC Tonari no kaibutsu has a chapter where Mitty tells Haru (main guy) off for acting inappropriately towards her and how it's inconsiderate to everyone involved. She scolds him for being selfish and not respecting her boundaries (?).

BTW:She should have broke up him and dated Yamaken but Shoujo :gonk:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

toanoradian posted:

Being bored of tropes is in fact also a trope. Here, let me link you to TVTropes...

On second thought, why not check the new chapter of Ojojojo? It has all the Os and Js you need, provided in a beautiful font.

I used to be really into 4 koma series but now not so much. I think it's the feeling how nothing really changes over time vs reg series. Who knows?

Nondevor posted:

I think this series was introduced earlier in the thread, but HaruxKiyo got a new release a few days ago.

It's pretty funny so far, and I'm getting some LoveCom vibes from it. Which I admit, it's mostly from the mismatched height differences and the overexaggerated reaction faces.

I like the art style but what's with all the misc fonts w/the word balloons? At least keep the normal dialogue speech in a standard font. Sorry, it's just kinda distracting me from the story :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

It probably had a bunch of misc fonts in Japanese and the typesetter felt obligated to preserve that. Yes, it's a horrible thing that I wish the writers wouldn't inflict on us.

True, at times I really wish they'd go with simplicity instead of authenticity,

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Can we post about webtoons here too?

Cheese in The Trap is a ongoing webtoon hosted on naver and being translated by Odd Squad Scanlations: http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html.

Still hoping there will be no love triangle.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Xyven posted:

A sweet love story between a college girl and a high functioning sociopath.

Still a better love story than T___

But no really everyone in the story is a all aboard the crazy train.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

Nope this is completely the right thread since it's shoujo. :sparkles:

Sounds like the movie is working as intended! You should watch the series though, it's super good (and also weird, metaphorical, surreal...etc)

Just a fair warning though Utena the anime is very long-winded and I ended up jumping around b/t story arcs because a lot of it seemed extraneous and random. That and it's very retro style. I liked parts of it but overall the exp was underwhelming.

I liked Penguindrum more just because it made more sense plot-wise even though it's not as subversive or experimental. That and I really like character designer and style.

Um, Utena the movie, I tried my best to understand it even after watching the series but it's too :wtf:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just blitzed through all of Horimiya and Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai... goddamnit, this thread is just going to make my shoujo/josei/romance manga addiction worse, isn't it?

IMHO, Horimiya had a good beginning and the latest chapters have been mildly disappointing due to the DRAMA!

I prefer josei>shoujo because well, drat, you know what I don't care if the MC finally dates sempai or not after 100+ chapters of waffling to nowhere.

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, what?

No idea who this manga-ka is but I love it when a OK story suddenly crashes and burns because of reality. Although, in that particular instance I think it's just dumb :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Davincie posted:

tnk should have gone onto the teased adult series actually

10/10 I'd follow it as a josei series and I wanted to finally meet Mitty's super successful mother.

Anyone else this it was weird how Mitty ended up marrying Haru? IDK but I thought the % of HS students marrying who they dated back then is fairly low unless it was a small town? Yeah, yeah, I know it's a manga series

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's just an anime/manga trope but given that as a general rule there's pressure for people marry younger (or at least there is for women) in Japan, it probably happens fairly often too.

True, someday I gotta see if I find any peer reviewed papers about my related manga/anime interests just for fun :v:

A part of is just my Americanness confusing the hell out of me when I read stories based on other overseas countries. Typically, I assume for anyone considering a high profile job/career track tend to marry and/or have children later in life.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You see, in Japan life ends after high school. So if you haven't found the love of your life by the end of high school, you're doomed to either never marry, be the wife of a salary-man who is cheating on you, or be the person the salary-man is cheating with.

Wait, what about leaving Japan after HS and having cool adventures?! Surely, someone has considered that before.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Paradise Kiss got away with it because (if I remember correctly, since it has been ages) it did a fairly good job detailing why the relationship wouldn't work out in the lead-up to the finale.

I know some reviewers disliked ParaKiss's ending but for me it was refreshing. I got tired of the whole WE'RE TOGETHER FOREVER trope after reading 30 vol of shoujo. Still looking for a good josei which takes place in college and/or working life.

Except no OL romances please.

So far I've read:

Shitsuren Chocolatier: Story of a man who happens to be a Chocolatier and obsesses over his ex-GF in his free time.

Golondrina: Story follows Chica and her progress to become a bullfighter.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Story of a flower shop owner who struggles to move on from her late husband.

Mizutama Puzzle: Older woman meets younger guy and they find the true meaning of life. Actually this is high on my reading list but no one is scanlating after Ch2 and I'm sad.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@ Kusaru: Unfortunately, BL is always hit or miss because they tend to go in a weird melodramatic direction. At least the characters look somewhat different though vs just a hairstyle change. CiTT is a fun webtoon.

@ jackofarcades: Thanks will check out the recommendations for out of the ordinary settings.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Anyone reading the Chihayafuru manga? Because you should, it's amazing.

I tried because I like board and card games. Um, I even like traditional JP poetry but the series never felt memorable to me. IIRC the potential love interest was somewhat disappointing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Honestly, it's more of a sports than romance manga. I like it though because of the super shoujo take on the genre. But, yeah, if that's not your thing you probably won't like it that much.

That explains a lot as I'm similarly bored w/sports manga series too. This may or may not be related to how terribly I did in HS gym classes.

Gnossiennes posted:

On another note, is anyone else hate watching Wolf Girl & Black Prince? Because gently caress that gross bullshit.

I watched 1-2 episodes before realizing you know I have a lot of OTHER cool anime series I could be following this season too. It'd be a fine one-shot but as a series it's too weak for the long run.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

I'll agree with that. In general I think her work has a lot of flaws (frequently getting too melodramatic, literally everyone is gay, a lot of sameface, etc), but still ends up being probably my favorite girls-kissing manga writer/artist, I think largely because she gets a ton of mileage out of how she draws eyes. It's the expressiveness of the eyes that is really what gets me.

Edit: She also seems to have more than a little bit of a thing for boobs, considering how frequently they're pointed out.

IDK yuri could be posted here and I read the one shot. I did find it funny how no one ever made much of a comment about everyone being gay by coincidence at a all girl's school.

The manga-ka I've read for similar stories but older cast would be Amano Shuninta. It's rare to read BL/GL which doesn't feel creepy for one way or another.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else hate it when the Main Guy/Love interest is a jerk to the MC for 60% of their interactions and they still get together at the end :newlol:?

I'd been reading one of the old shoujo series which got picked up after um, 1-3 years? And I read the raws after and now IDK if I want to read it to the end anymore in ENG. It got better then I'm guess it was axed because all sudden the MC does some extremely bizarre actions in the last 1-3 chapters.

Oh well, I'll just stick to josei then.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Can you provide examples of this?

Paradise Kiss is a good starter manga where the MC grows up through her relationships w/her friends and DOESN'T end up the Main Guy because they both have different career paths in life. .

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Davincie posted:

imo the hero was a dick the whole way through and blondie was way better

IIRC, he got better after HS. Yeah, I agree canon relationships are kinda disappointing but manga :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

Paradise Kiss doesn't seem like it really fits. I mean JoujiGeorge is kind of an rear end, but you can at least understand both why she likes him, and why they like each other.

Yeah, George and Caroline's relationship was unstable from the start and I'm glad both of them realized it and broke it off later. For me I would be interested in characters who change each other during their interactions for the better or worse.

Hmm---series where the canon couple is entertaining? Checking my list I would list Jellyfish Princess, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Cheese in the Trap, Horimiya, and Soul Eater.

I'm not too crazy about stories where one character changes for the other party for no reason other than dating them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked Inuyasha's turmoil at loving one woman and then loving another woman who was kinda the same but not really. I mean, seriously, that has to cause all kinds of mental confusion, in addition to the less-than-pleasant way he parted with his former love. Or the fact his former love is around as a vengeful bitch. (at first anyway)

GDT, you're making me want to finish Inuyasha and I haven't read it since maybe 7th grade :argh:

IIRC I lost hope after I realized it had something around 40+ volumes and even back then that was a long series to read in my free time. I did read Ranma 1/2 at the library though but I think that was easier to read and fewer characters to keep track of in the story.

Anyone know if her most recent manga series by Takahashi is worth following or not? Her art style is so retro but still funny even all these years or maybe the nostalgia is affecting me too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

a guy freaked out about how she wasn't that great and doesn't deserve any money or to have a job at all) realize that she made it in Japan in the 1970s.

I, too, think all those rich and more successful people don't deserve their money and/or jobs. Uh, OK, that's a weird rant to go in a manga discussion. It's hard to judge who exactly deserves money or fame account of it's me only clearly subjective.

I didn't know she still did the weekly schedule as that tends to burn out manga-ka very quickly :v:

Which Gundam series was that scene from again? I only watched parts of Gundam Wing and G Gundam on CN. I grew out of it before they released SEED and no more mecha ever for me thanks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GL manhua "Their Story" translated : http://yaoi-blcd.tumblr.com/tagged/tan-jiu

Ignore the shady tumblr as comic is rated E.

@draconic: Any other manga/anime series you like other than the 2 listed? The more references the easier I can find similar series.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked Kamisama anime more than the manga because it had a quick pace and maybe I liked the VAs too.

I don't read many sad/tragedy shoujo series but I can find entertaining romance/comedy series instead for you :3:

Horimiya
Kuragehime
Yukarism (on hiatus)
Don't Cry, Girl
Veins
Mascara Blues

Yeah, I prefer one-shots vs long series but then again I don't have as much time as I did when I was younger :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tae posted:

I also think it's hilarious the author couldn't just ask the director Hideki Anno, the creator of Evangelion, to try and get grim for a 2nd season (also hilarious that the new Rebuild movies use soundtracks directly from Kare Kano).

Although, I've never watched/read KareKano but now I want to because HIDEKI ANNO and all. I did read there were some budget cuts in the anime e.g. it featured some QUALITY animation work as in still images ripped from the manga instead of well, IDK animation?

I still need to watch NGE anime or the movies too :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Watch the anime or read the manga first? For me, I prefer anime as they will fix awkward art and side plots which went no where in manga. I can tolerate old anime series as long as the story is interesting enough.

BTW: Everyone should watch RoV for shoujo masterpieces. Great VAs and story.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

The anime's take on manga events is pound for pound better in almost every instance. It's just that you're only getting half of the story by the time it's over. And even then the other half in the manga isn't that great.

So is it similar to Soul Eater? which had a fun start w/magic HS adventure and then it started to actively decline after episode 20 out of 52 because it got confusing for no reason. Does that mean I can watch up to a certain point and pretend it had a unofficial ending?

I've done it before for series because I'd rather not watch an otherwise entertaining story just fall apart in the final chapters.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I really should watch Rose of Versailles one of these days, especially considering how much I love Utena and RoV is to that what Ideon is to Evangelion.

AFAIK there isn't a direct connect b/t the 2 series other than they both wear military uniforms and save people from villians. Oh and extreme use of flowers as backgrounds/motifs.

Still waiting for the modern ROV movie :confuoot:

Nate RFB posted:

Honestly what I'd do is watch the anime and maybe look up an ending summary.

Thanks for the info and this will save me time instead of having to read the manga and/or watch the entire series. Now to see if the subs are yellow or any other annoyingly bright colors.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

Real Clothes is good. Uso Lilly too.

Usolily tends to become draggy after awhile but I commend the scanlators for their self-dedication to a long series.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Allarion posted:

Hirunaka no Ryuusei just finished, other than an extra chapter. It ended well for the most part.

I stopped reading after two volumes but I need to know who the MC ends up with because of reasons.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Allarion posted:

She chose Daiki instead of the teacher, hence why I think it ended well.

This may have redeemed the series for me.

Is it shallow if I judge shoujo based on who ends up with the MC and whether or not I agree with it?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Personally, I'm not a fan of unequal relationships and age gaps tend to vary. I'm fine if everyone is over 18 but less so if one person is younger or in HS. Sorry, but it's too creepy for me. Also, against boss/employee because clearly this won't end well from the beginning.

Not sure if it's because I'm older now compared to the protagonists but even back then it was borderline unhealthy relationship when I noticed in in media :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

:sparkles: Magic Knight Rayearth :sparkles:

Old CLAMP series: Wings on everything, ambiguous understanding of anatomy, and and people wearing too much jewelry.

Likewise I even owned the vol 1 MKR artbook :sigh:

I like CLAMP but their latest series seem to coast on HQ artwork than any decent storylines. How the mighty have fallen.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

I remember being all "gently caress this" and giving up on that confusing-as-hell Tsubasa/XXXHolic universe when in high school.

I'm in grad school now. Has anything changed?

Xxxholic ended on a cliffhanger. IIRC there is a spin-off ongoing where there's a alternate timeline now. I liked the JPN mythology theme and ghost stories. I really find the main cast to be forgettable apart from the shopkeeper.

Nate RFB posted:

Did they ever even finish X?

Should I read it?! I read Legal Drug despite it being totally pointless for 3 vol.

BTW: Who else is a fan of Yuki Kaori? Gothic manga at it's finest.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Poil posted:

What in the world is gothic manga?

Basically, manga with gothic elements similar to gothic fiction. This usually means a combination of horror and romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Poil posted:

I see. Are there any in particular you'd recommend? :)

Vampire Knights

Count Cain/Godchild, Blood Hound, and Yuki Kaori has a bunch of one shots too. Gothic manga is influenced by gothic lolita fashion so YMMV if you can tolerate that or not. I want to say CLAMP but as you can tell from the prior posts their storytelling quality has declined over the years.