Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Fushigi Yuugi, since nobody mentioned it yet, I've seen the entire anime for Saiunkoku Monogatari twice, and I'm currently considering rewatching again (it's been 3+ years again).

It has a similar ancient China vibe, but it's so so much better IMO. I can't recommend this enough, easily one of my favourite shoujo titles. It's got two seasons of 39 eps each, but IIRC it's not too slow at all. It's not focused on romance, but there is a kind of a reverse harem thing going on through most of it. The protagonist is pretty awesome, and don't even get me started about her dad. :3:

My only problem is, while it doesn't end abruptly mid-arc as a lot of anime do, the overarching story isn't finished. The anime covered 12 of the 14 volumes that were out at the time, but the whole story is 18 volumes now. I hope someone eventually gets to either translating the novels or animating the final 6 volumes.

Yeah, like that'll ever happen. :sigh: Maybe I'll eventually just buy the original books, since it's shoujo any words I fail at should be furigana'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched that thing fairly recently and it was still good.

No opinion on the relationship, though, apart from that it's fun watching DV and other animal abuse happen in my anime. Slapstick best stick.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I remember about Kare Kano was that after watching the anime I decided I wanted to know more, and really really liked the continuation of the story about those two kids whose parents remarried (I think it's vol 12, or maybe 11), and after that I don't remember anything at all, which probably means it was so bad my brain blocked everything except the fact that I didn't like it.

E: I till heavily recommend reading/watching it though, because the first half is glorious.

Allarion posted:

What I mostly remember from the last couple arcs of Inuyasha was him fighting some random boss, absorbing their power, and upgrading his sword, rinse and repeat. It did lead to a dick move by their dad where Sesshomaru found out his sword was also gonna be absorbed by Inuyasha's sword as well. I dunno, I felt like Inuyasha felt was too formulaic in general, especially at the end so I don't really hold it in any high regard. I still think all her stuff pre-Inuyasha was still pretty solid, but I never got around to reading Takahashi's latest series.

I hate you for this, because I'm now watching again even though I don't have the time to. Thanks though, it's a really nice show still.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 21, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/dame_na_watashi_ni_koishite_kudasai/c001/5.html

I think it's this.

E: I should read the whole thing before posting :cripes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone read Kimagure Orange Road? What did you think of it?

Maybe you saw the anime at least?

I found Kimagure Orange Road anime great, and yes, the soundtrack is pretty rad.

It's also not too long IMO, but the first time I watched the whole thing, including all the OVAs, and that ended up being repetitive and annoying. When I rewatched it a couple years back, I skipped the OVAs and I remember it being a lot better.

Don't know anything about the manga though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of things from before 89, I remember tokimeki tonight being really good. I should probably watch the anime again some time.

Fake edit:

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, talk about a trainwreck.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=102
Check it out and weep.

Real edit: Ayashi no Ceres is decent IIRC, and is kinda like X.

Truga fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 8, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is entirely possible, I watched it more than a decade ago.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Horimiya is starting to sound like something I should read. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jackofarcades posted:

Welcome to the NHK?

This was really good. Every single character had an issue, it was the best. Is there anything like this out there?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I love the way that guy draws. Too bad about that Prism thing :<

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.amazon.com/SHOUJO-THING-BLACK-T-SHIRT/dp/B00JLIKZ8Y/ref=pd_d0_recs_v2_cwb_ap_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WWJCJPG687KYM8NN4A1

I'm ordering this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

Also I don't think I could wear it anywhere but home anyway.

Why?

So good ._.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dynasty scans has a better reader, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite shoujo magical girl shows in no particular order:

CCS starts really slow, but ends up probably my favourite CLAMP's work, and they did a couple very good things so...
Does X count? It has girls and magic and it's shoujo af.
Everyone knows about Sailor Moon. Read the manga, watch the anime, but avoid crystal IMO.
Princess Tutu is easily one of the best in the genre. Maybe even the best?
Full Moon wo sagashite is technically also magical girl and is really drat good.
Shugo chara is on crunchy roll and is OK enough.
Ultra Maniac, Snow fairy Sugar, Hime-chan no ribbon, Akazukin Chacha, Sugar Sugar Rune are all decent watches.
Also, Utena, because Utena is the best thing.

Then there's the precure series (heartcatch precure is the best one IIRC), which is now larger than even Sailor Moon?

Dunno much about most of the mangas though, sorry!

edit: I will fight anyone who disses nanoha, A's a great show, even if it isn't shoujo demographic.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nanoha is an eroge spinoff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was glad when I noticed precure was on CR, since I never finished the original series when it was airing, but the quality is trash!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Kyoko is really cool, ok :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta set things up for that sequel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, this stretching is a good direction. Authors previous works mostly feature short people. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nothings posted:

The first episode of this documentary on mangaka features Akiko Higashimura of Kuraghime & Kakukaku Shikajika. (If it was linked before I don't remember it; the English subtitled version only came out a month ago.)

This owns a lot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Shoujo+smut is the best tag combo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

2 girls with boyfriends begin relationship with each other

Sounds like a fun read tbh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

darkgray posted:

Gave Octave a volume, but it had kissing girls and that's just weird.

How rude!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Teenage pregnancy is a thing and a very real problem. I'm glad some people don't dismiss it as a "horror story" and "hosed up", and instead draw attention to it in their works for teenage girls and boys.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In this context it's "I am sure" more than anything IMO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yona is really good, but I wish there was more anime because I prefer colour to black&white these days :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My personal "better than expected" is re:zero, though the name is pretty much sums up my expectations. Also, Rinne is still fun, but I'm an incorrigible Rumiko fan that even enjoys Inuyasha.

Best this season is definitely Flying Witch for me. But I haven't watched a bunch of them yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
First part of crystal was pretty much crap.

Second one is better
https://my.mixtape.moe/bskgga.webm

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inflammatory posted:

it's astoundingly mediocre.

It's true. Read Parallel by the same author and I remember liking it. Pastel is exactly the same thing, but spread over like 15 years of volumes.

e: I just said 15 years because why not go for hyperbole, but it turns out it is, in fact, 14 years :laffo:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm feeling like the series is being restricted a little bit by being shojo

:laugh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gogogogogogo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good joke.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's several standards for romanization, the first one made by japanese people themselves (in like 1800s, so a long time ago) follows kana very strictly, with no adjustments for pronunciation. I think that's what you're seeing, it's likely most natural to them.

Personally, I just mix and match, depending on what's less keystrokes when inputting japanese :v: Naturally sometimes a habit will spill over.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why do you need a proxy for kissmanga?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Shoujo is super easy to read because it's got a lot of furigana. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably a lot more people (and thus also young people) got interested.

Also, it runs in a josei mag, but it really hits more shoujo notes so who knows what it's supposed to be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't like NTR, but I understand there are people who do. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8n9NN7sAi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Kissmanga makes everything so much not-poo poo to read.