Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This thing is nice compared to my old DS though. The screen is much better, it's lighter weight, the buttons are a LITTLE easier on my hands, but it's still too small (the normal PSP is the same) but it's going pretty well. Outputting to the TV kinda sucks though, I doubt I will do it very often.

I played the demo for Valkyria 3 among other things, and it is definitely acceptable. I'll probably get it when it comes out at the end of this month, as long as the digital version comes out at the same time as the UMD version.

edit: Oh Valkyria 2 is only 2200 yen with all of the DLC. I guess I will swallow my unhappiness about its schoolyard setting and give it a try.

Also, question: Say you are playing a PS1 game on the PSP and PS3. How do you transfer saves between them?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone know anything about fixing a square button that sticks? Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes I really have to hammer on it to get it to work.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Clever Spambot posted:

On that subject is the psp persona remake worth getting? I played a bit of the original and remember liking it a lot more then the combat of persona 3 and 4 but it was a bit slow at times.

I only played a few hours of the remake before getting sick of the combat but general consensus is that it's a good port of a not so good game. If you really liked the original than the new localization (which was quite good from what I saw) might make it worth getting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Valkyria 2 is like coming back to an old friend. That said, *shoots three enemy soldiers in the head* "all right guys, we drove them off!" is kind of hard to swallow. The last game had its silly moments too but in the end, the people still acted like they understood what it means to kill people.

edit: in comparison, one of the sniper's lines in 3 is "don't worry, I'll be seeing you on the other side soon enough" or somesuch.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 7, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, question: Say you are playing a PS1 game on the PSP and PS3. How do you transfer saves between them?

It's been a while since I've done that, but I think the PSP shows up as a storage device on the PS3 when you hook it up via USB.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
Is there a limit to the number of times you can download a game from PSN once you've bought it? I have a GO and a 3000 both with the games on but if either get wiped i want to know i can still redownload them.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

EvilRic posted:

Is there a limit to the number of times you can download a game from PSN once you've bought it? I have a GO and a 3000 both with the games on but if either get wiped i want to know i can still redownload them.

You can download them as many times as you want. The only limitation is the amount of devices you register your account on.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Anybody know how to fix a cracked screen on a PSP 1000? I was charging it and accidentally walked across the wire, so it dropped on the floor and the screen's busted

I just started playing Persona 3 too :(

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Your best bet is to just pick up another screen and install it. Screens go for about 20-30$, if I remember correctly, and if I recall, installation is really easy. If you know how to use a screwdriver, you should be able to do it.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Thanks! Do you know where I can find a good guide? Preferably with LOTS of pictures and text because I'm fundamentally retarded

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

It's a pretty straightforward process.

This got me through it when I did it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
is the psp resistance game any good?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

redreader posted:

I liked what I did play, but I found it really, really hard for some reason and haven't beaten it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redreader posted:

I think it's outstanding. The controls and camera angle are great. When I first bought it, people billed it as "Crusader: No Remorse for PSP," but it doesn't really control the same way at all. Nor is the gameplay quite the same. It's just a well-crafted action game with an overhead view, which is still pretty rare these days.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Novolin posted:

I liked what I did play, but I found it really, really hard for some reason and haven't beaten it.

I played the demo on the treadmill and got *raped* but I put that down to me being on the treadmill. :)

teethgrinder posted:

I think it's outstanding. The controls and camera angle are great. When I first bought it, people billed it as "Crusader: No Remorse for PSP," but it doesn't really control the same way at all. Nor is the gameplay quite the same. It's just a well-crafted action game with an overhead view, which is still pretty rare these days.

it's a FPS, I thought? I played the demo of an FPS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I just looked at screenshots of it because your post piqued my interest, and it looks like a standard behind the back third person shooter. Am I missing something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The last time I owned a PSP was before the PS3 came out, so I don't know what this remote play thing is all about. Is it actually used anymore or is it some dumb feature they added just to make the list of features longer?

Also I like the Go more and more as I use it. It sure seems like the only reason it was discontinued is because customers didn't know what to think of a game machine with no media reader of any kind. But now that we have the iphone and other things like that, wouldn't people understand better that this is a viable way to do things? Not saying that Sony is handling that side of things as well as Apple, but still...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2011

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The last time I owned a PSP was before the PS3 came out, so I don't know what this remote play thing is all about. Is it actually used anymore or is it some dumb feature they added just to make the list of features longer?

When I used it to play Bionic Commando Rearmed, it was laggy as gently caress. I guess it was kind of neat in the I can play this PS3 PSN game on the toilet, but other than that it was pretty lackluster. I don't even think they support it anymore.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

redreader posted:

I played the demo on the treadmill and got *raped* but I put that down to me being on the treadmill. :)

it's a FPS, I thought? I played the demo of an FPS.

Oh yeah, Resistance, I thought you meant killzone :downs:

I didn't actually get that one, but I also found the demo kind of difficult. It got pretty good reviews and what I did play seemed like it would be better with some getting used to.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Novolin posted:

Oh yeah, Resistance, I thought you meant killzone :downs:

I didn't actually get that one, but I also found the demo kind of difficult. It got pretty good reviews and what I did play seemed like it would be better with some getting used to.

I just started resistance 1 last night on ps3. At first it was super hard but after I bit I got a lot better, probably helped by partial regeneration, and them leaving health packs. also though, due to me starting to throw grenades *a lot*. 1 will straight out kill about 2-4 enemies which would otherwise give you trouble.

Also I suck at gamepad fps'ing due to being a pc gamer mostly but it looks like I'm improving.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yep, I also confused Resistance with Killzone. :doh:

Killzone is excellent. No idea about Resistance, sorry about that.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
So I just noticed that I can download games with my old-soldier PSP. What are the best non-sports non-FPS games I can download? I'm okay with Japanese ephemera if it's good.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Captain Corduroy posted:

So I just noticed that I can download games with my old-soldier PSP. What are the best non-sports non-FPS games I can download? I'm okay with Japanese ephemera if it's good.

Half-Minute Hero is a really unique RPG that has TONS of stuff to do, and I can't recommend it enough. The Ace Combat games are supposed to be really good, although I still have to try them (I'll probably pick up Joint Assault some time this month)

Most of the games in the OP are available on PSN, although there are a few that should be but aren't (gently caress you Disney my UMD drive is broken and I want to play Kingdom Hearts)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Captain Novolin posted:

Half-Minute Hero is a really unique RPG that has TONS of stuff to do

It also has a very great sense of humor too. It sort of rides on the same wave as Cladun and Badman.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I like the Go more and more as I use it. It sure seems like the only reason it was discontinued is because customers didn't know what to think of a game machine with no media reader of any kind. But now that we have the iphone and other things like that, wouldn't people understand better that this is a viable way to do things? Not saying that Sony is handling that side of things as well as Apple, but still...

Wait, since when was the Go discontinued? Last I knew they were still being made.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Thanks for the recommendations. Brief thoughts on the following games would be appreciated, if anyone's played them:

- Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (it comes with SotN which makes me want to get it anyway)
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Jeanne D'Arc
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- That Megaman X Remake
- Lunar Silver Star Harmony

Captain Corduroy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SixOhSix posted:

Wait, since when was the Go discontinued? Last I knew they were still being made.
I dunno, I was just going off the wikipedia page, and the fact that the gamestop didn't have any new ones and said they weren't going to get any more.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Captain Corduroy posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Brief thoughts on the following games would be appreciated, if anyone's played them:

- Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (it comes with SotN which makes me want to get it anyway)

I had way too much trouble with this (I'm bad at castlevania) but it's fun. It's basically a re-make of Rondo of Blood, which was one of the best linear castlevanias.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Novolin posted:

I had way too much trouble with this (I'm bad at castlevania) but it's fun. It's basically a re-make of Rondo of Blood, which was one of the best linear castlevanias.

Just unlocking SotN was a bastard... and I quit as soon as I'd unlocked it (instead of dying + saving, or whatever) so I had to start right from the beginning or something. Rondo of Blood is drat hard.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, I was just going off the wikipedia page, and the fact that the gamestop didn't have any new ones and said they weren't going to get any more.

'Funny' that you heard it from a gamestop rep. From what I've heard, the psp go's lack of success is due to gamestop demanding that not all psp games are sold online, or they'll put the psp games on the back shelf in every shop (oh, wait). this may be totally untrue (is it?)

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 11, 2011

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

redreader posted:

'Funny' that you heard it from a gamestop rep. From what I've heard, the psp go's lack of success is due to gamestop demanding that not all psp games are sold online, or they'll put the psp games on the back shelf in every shop (oh, wait). this may be totally untrue (is it?)

If true, it wouldn't be the first console I love that those motherfuckers killed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, that would make sense I suppose. Anyway I wouldn't have bought it at the price they were asking for it new anyway, but for $100, sure I'll give a used one a try.

I guess reading the Wikipedia page again it is unclear, it says

wikipedia posted:

In February 2010, it was revealed that Sony may re-launch the PSP Go in the future, due to the lack of consumer interest and poor sales.
which I interpreted as that Sony was currently NOT selling them.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Captain Corduroy posted:

- Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (it comes with SotN which makes me want to get it anyway)- Hard but fun. I ended up cheesing it with Maria. SotN is always great.
- Jeanne D'Arc- great SRPG
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana- I haven't tried this yet but 7 was fun.
- Lunar Silver Star Harmony- Great as a remake but the constant loading drive me insane.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Loco-Roco is an excellent game, always puts a smile on my face,
Megaman maverick Hunter was really well done for a remake
and don't discount the MINI's line of games they may only be a few megabytes but some are really good,
Alien Zombie death is way fun
Dracula:undead is a top down robotron style game and I think it's neat.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Captain Corduroy posted:

- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
- Jeanne D'Arc
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- That Megaman X Remake
- Lunar Silver Star Harmony

Monster Hunter is amazing if it's your kind of thing. You'll either completely love it and play it for 100 hours, or get bored/frustrated immediately and wonder what everyone else sees in it. I'd say it's worth a try.

e: there are probably demos of some of these you could try, I'm pretty sure Monster Hunter has one at least.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Just out of curiosity, can you use the usb cable that comes with the PS3 to charge controllers to also transfer crap between your PS3 and PSP?

Also, is there any certain screen protector that you guys would recommend? I'm planning on picking up a new 3000 within the next month so I can play PS1 classics when I'm out.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Just out of curiosity, can you use the usb cable that comes with the PS3 to charge controllers to also transfer crap between your PS3 and PSP?

Also, is there any certain screen protector that you guys would recommend? I'm planning on picking up a new 3000 within the next month so I can play PS1 classics when I'm out.

Any USB mini cable is fine yeah.

Dunno about screen protectors, never used one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Corduroy posted:

- Jeanne D'Arc

Having never played a tactical strategy RPG before this game is pretty fun. I never find it too hard for too long and has some pretty basic mechanics (skill combining, +damage attacking from behind).

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Prinny 2 came out tonight. I might pick it up since I really liked the first one.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

PopeCrunch posted:

Is it possible / how much of a pain in the nuts is it to play games on a PSP from a PSN account not your main? I'd like to share some of my games with other friends with PSPs (the PSN account by itself supports up to five PS3s *and* five PSPs) but I don't want to bother if it'll be a giant ballache for them.

Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
It's a huge motherfucking pain in the rear end... you have to constantly clear the account on your PSP and switch accounts, each and every time you wanna play games

Plus you risk getting your account banned :(

• Locked thread